M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-04-15 09:09AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Jordan
prairieguy, I wish I could give you a straightforward answer, like how Canada sets its picks, but unfortunately, we don't know who's representing us yet. Our team is going to be selected by committee, and there's a little more information (and a lot of corporate management-type talk) about that here: http://m.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/Fe...-team-selection

While the Continental Cup is a good chance for one men's and one women's team of ours to get experience on arena ice and against top competition, our selection process seems too convoluted for a tournament that features things like singles and mixed doubles.

Thanks for the info Mr.Jordan! Yes based on that it probably is hard to say how it will shake out. Here's hoping for Shuster...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-04-15 09:23AM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Universal Sports is kind of the "Olympics" sports channel, but it's very much a niche sports channel and if I'm not mistaken, most cable providers don't carry it (mine certainly doesn't, and it's a fairly big provider). Some sport federations/circuits/competitions have exclusive deals with USN, but for everything else, I suppose NBC can use USN to either gauge viewer interest or just dump extra coverage there. That said, it's kind of a shame that I have to use a VPN to watch the games there and others just miss them altogether. Curling is still small potatoes without bigger patrons. At low cost, ESPN can sneak ahead and promote its WatchESPN TSN coverage of the Season of Champions events, which is better than NBC's and does feature outstanding curling, though possibly "undercutting" exposure of USA curling.

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

Thanks for the info Mr.Jordan! Yes based on that it probably is hard to say how it will shake out. Here's hoping for Shuster...

No prob. I think Shuster is the best skip we've got, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet the field. I can see Heater and Plys being the back end, with the USCA having to think more about whether to keep their entire HPP rink together or just change the front end.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

04-04-15 10:04AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I have to wonder just how long chris plys will remain in favor with the US if he continues to fail to get results.

I like chris but he hasnt done anything to earn their favoritism since winning worlds in 2008

04-04-15 10:43AM
Flat Hat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Flat Hat Click here to Send Flat Hat a Private Message Find more posts by Flat Hat Add Flat Hat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Flat Hat
Harvey Hacksmasher

This was a much better showing than most were predicting, and Team Shuster has no reason to hang their heads. A pick, a wick or a tumble either way and we could be setting up to watch them play today.

04-04-15 11:48AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Flat Hat
This was a much better showing than most were predicting, and Team Shuster has no reason to hang their heads. A pick, a wick or a tumble either way and we could be setting up to watch them play today.

Agreed. Some of those games in the round robin were very close.

With the hole they were in standings-wise, many teams would have fallen apart. They dug deep and ground it out though, fighting all the way to that last stone.

You can practice fundamentals and be coached all day long, but at the end of the day the experience you get in your mental game from a competition like this is priceless.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-04-15 12:07PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Thought I would at least be able to watch replays of games on YouTube but just found out that even that is blocked. Very disappointing.

04-04-15 01:26PM
MCC_PE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MCC_PE Click here to Send MCC_PE a Private Message Find more posts by MCC_PE Add MCC_PE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCC_PE
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Thought I would at least be able to watch replays of games on YouTube but just found out that even that is blocked. Very disappointing.

Use Hola http://hola.org/ and switch your country to one that doesn't cover (and therefore geo-block) the event. Got that tip from runinrock a while back, thanks Mike! UK has been working for me for both live and replays.

CurlingGeek, thanks for what you do. Didn't realize you're the man behind the website so the next time you're down for the Evergreen at Mayfield I'll buy you a drink or three.

04-04-15 02:21PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE

Use Hola http://hola.org/ and switch your country to one that doesn't cover (and therefore geo-block) the event. Got that tip from runinrock a while back, thanks Mike! UK has been working for me for both live and replays.

I have used Hola before but is not working for me now? Trying you tube via UK but no luck

Last edited by dbsdbs on 04-04-15 at 03:02PM

04-04-15 03:42PM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I have to wonder just how long chris plys will remain in favor with the US if he continues to fail to get results.

I like chris but he hasnt done anything to earn their favoritism since winning worlds in 2008

He's 27, he's got to be the most talented player we have, and he's got plenty of good years left to curl. Say what you will about the USCA's decision-making, but if we're gonna have an HPP like the one we have, we've gotta have Plys in it.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

04-04-15 05:35PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

I really enjoyed following the USA/Finland tiebreaker on Curling Geek the other day. It was just like sitting on a stoop listening to a baseball game on radio... with over 1,700 other chatting and cheering fans. Looking forward to buying something from his store soon.

This major fail by USCA, Inc. staffers not to have any live broadcast service for any of our games other than some random tweets just goes to show our leadership does not want to showcase any games by non-HP selectees. What else could explain that major fail? Are its golden handcuffs to NBC so tight it can't tweet live stone-by-stone results or set up a chatroom like Curling Geek? If the Spirit of Curling reigned here, USCA would reimburse CG for his having to upgrade his server twice(!!) to provide the tiebreaker coverage he did.

USCA's website headline for our final game was a glass-half-empty spin instead of a clarion happy boast that our men's National Champion had its best result in X many years from a skip who improved his own World and Olympic record so impressively.

Mental game is right, Phil_D. On so many different levels, on and off the ice.

Last edited by Alice on 04-04-15 at 05:54PM

04-04-15 08:50PM
AteEnder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AteEnder Find more posts by AteEnder Add AteEnder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AteEnder
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MCC_PE

CurlingGeek, thanks for what you do. Didn't realize you're the man behind the website so the next time you're down for the Evergreen at Mayfield I'll buy you a drink or three.

Works great, I am probably the only guy watching this in Afghanistan :-)

04-05-15 09:45AM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Alice

This major fail by USCA, Inc. staffers not to have any live broadcast service for any of our games other than some random tweets just goes to show our leadership does not want to showcase any games by non-HP selectees.

Time to step back from the ledge. You can throw stones at the USCA, but it needs to make sense. We got the same coverage for the non-HP men's team as we got for the women's HP team at worlds.

You think they were sitting around in the back room deciding that if they don't tweet every shot that people would forget the championships were going on and that their funded team didn't earn its way in?

04-05-15 10:02AM
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Doug from curlinggeek.com dropped a hint this week that the USCA is going to use its service for one of its future events, but left it as a teaser and didn't go into details. So, we could have more of that sort of thing coming soon, which would be nice.

04-05-15 03:22PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Gnat, I guess I was just never able to spoof my URL or get it on home cable to get any video from Men's Worlds. I was just expecting more live coverage from an event in our timezones versus the women's in Japan.

At least we can all still see highlights online from one USA women's game here:
http://wwcc2015.curlingevents.com/video/archive/1

04-05-15 03:47PM
gonzobob is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gonzobob Click here to Send gonzobob a Private Message Find more posts by gonzobob Add gonzobob to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gonzobob
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

I have used Hola before but is not working for me now? Trying you tube via UK but no luck

Yeah, I used Chrome/Hola to watch a few early round robin games but it hasn't been working for me to watch the playoffs.

04-05-15 06:42PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Looks like the geo block got tighter for the playoffs. I got by pretending to be in Germany. It was interesting trying to use Google to shop flights when I forgot to turn it off.

04-05-15 07:08PM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

http://www.drakulastream.eu/free-li...ing-videos.html

04-06-15 12:09PM
runinrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for runinrock Click here to Send runinrock a Private Message Find more posts by runinrock Add runinrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
runinrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Grat
Ruinrock,I'm pretty sure expanding TV coverage in the states is one of Rick's highest priorities, and Curling Night in America was a big win. Next step is to expand on that, but I doubt those results were back in time for NBC to do anything with this year's worlds.

You're right, getting more TV coverage should be the largest priority of the next CEO.

and I'm not sure you can consider tape-delayed coverage of an exhibition event in which we paid the other teams to show up as a "big win"...especially when many of the ends were not shown in their entirety..talk about making it even MORE confusing for a novice to understand the game or strategy

04-06-15 01:19PM
Grat
Hitting Paint

Some curling on TV is infinitely more than no curling on TV. I think that's a "big win". But if it's not a stepping stone to more and improved coverage it's a meaningless win. Hopefully it's the first win of many.

04-06-15 01:57PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I kinda wonder something...

*should* we be putting the responsibility for "get more TV" on the USCA?

It seems to me that our better course would be for someone with relatively deep pockets to create an event, and shop those rights to TV.

ESPN can't show Nationals/Worlds/etc due to contracts...but there'd be nothing preventing them from putting "The World Invitational Curling Championship" on ESPN3 (or even, for that matter...a slot or two on ESPN2). There'd probably be no broadcast money in it at first, but it's a route.

Once you're there, then let interest build and voila, now you have folks wanting the sport.

04-06-15 02:33PM
ethan.b.meyers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ethan.b.meyers Click here to Send ethan.b.meyers a Private Message Find more posts by ethan.b.meyers Add ethan.b.meyers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ethan.b.meyers
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by runinrock

You're right, getting more TV coverage should be the largest priority of the next CEO.

and I'm not sure you can consider tape-delayed coverage of an exhibition event in which we paid the other teams to show up as a "big win"...especially when many of the ends were not shown in their entirety..talk about making it even MORE confusing for a novice to understand the game or strategy

It was a big win because it had good numbers and showed the people who matter that there's a TV audience for non-Olympic curling in the US.

If anything, they should be encouraged for setting up an event like this. It was a significant risk and they (largely one person) managed to set up a successful TV event out of absolutely nothing. Yes, it was an exhibition event. Yes, it was cut down to two hours with commercials. No, it wasn't live. People watched it anyway.

TV is a very high priority for the USCA. They're doing the best they can given the cards they're dealt. Just because it's going to be a long road doesn't mean we should be bashing them for taking the first few steps down it.

04-06-15 05:53PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by ethan.b.meyers

It was a big win because it had good numbers and showed the people who matter that there's a TV audience for non-Olympic curling in the US.

If anything, they should be encouraged for setting up an event like this. It was a significant risk and they (largely one person) managed to set up a successful TV event out of absolutely nothing. Yes, it was an exhibition event. Yes, it was cut down to two hours with commercials. No, it wasn't live. People watched it anyway.

TV is a very high priority for the USCA. They're doing the best they can given the cards they're dealt. Just because it's going to be a long road doesn't mean we should be bashing them for taking the first few steps down it.

Any curling on TV is good. That Curling Night... TV event was probably not specifically aimed at diehard fans (many who post here) who want to watch curling live (like people are like for basketball/football/etc) and want to know right away who won. It was for the casual person who may be interested to watch it. And yes curling enthusiasts will watch anyways, but that's just an added plus.

Do you think any of those skiing events you see aired on those sports networks are live? Probably not. They're recorded and packaged into a two hour slot how the curling event was. Those who are "in the know" for skiing probably know who won already, everyone else, probably not.

04-06-15 07:14PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

Although I don't agree with some posters on here of how close this US team was to being a serious medal threat, I do think they were a quality team with a lot more legitimate chances then most recent US teams. And the skip seems to be the kind of character guy people would love to follow and cheer for. Great for TV it seems, and many viewers love pulling for lovable underdog stories.

I do find it puzzling that a world event being played in Canada had such mediocre TV coverage. Just the Canadian games, they cut out most rounds if Canada won early, and alternate TV options were minimal if at all. If curling is truly growing in the US as many have said, this seems to be a serious oversight in my opinion. Surely international curling federations needed to partner up with TSN and offer expanded coverage. In particular, the US given the time zone the event was in.

04-06-15 09:07PM
Grat
Hitting Paint

Going in I would have called them capable but not favored to win a medal. In the end they needed one of five shots to go a different way and they're in the playoffs.

I don't know how the contracts for the rights for Worlds are handled. Do networks contract through the WCF for rights in each country? Or does each country's governing body handle the rights within their country. Are we tied to NBCU because of their USCA relationship, or could ESPN decide they've got enough channels and could use the content and bid on them in the future?

I was also curious about the reversed decision by TSN to broadcast the tie-breaker. Did they decide a non-Canadian game wasn't worth the expense - or did NBCU nix streaming on ESPN3 because they own the US rights and that tip the scales for TSN?

Basic problem this year is that NBCU hasn't come around to real curling coverage outside the Olympics. So they didn't pay World Curling TV to cover the American games. Then the games they picked up are on Universal Sports - which has few big names on their please contact your provider to get USN list.

04-06-15 09:46PM
Alice
Swing Artist

quote:

..TV is a very high priority for the USCA. They're doing the best they can given the cards they're dealt. Just because it's going to be a long road doesn't mean we should be bashing them for taking the first few steps down it.

"Cards they're dealt....". OK, what are those cards? Did USCA, Inc. sign off on some adhesion contract with USOC, Inc. for TV/ broadcast money which in turn apparently gives NBC whatever it wants including the rights to stop all "amateur" broadcasts in the USA of worlds?

Our USCA website already dissolved into the mega USOC Team USA matrix. Didn't we all love those AT&T commercials from women's nationals last year on webcasts? Why not for worlds this year? Did WCF refuse to neogotiate this with USCA? Or ask for too much money? How much longer will any broadcasters like Curling Geek or TESN be able to do what they do at "events leading to worlds or Olympics" without giving a cut to NBC or be blocked the moment NBC takes over an event?

As for "bashing" USCA, I am hoping they really did try to get some live or even delayed coverage of both worlds this year. But all we've seen this year is that Curling Night showcase and the Twister Game TESN went through for our nationals.

It all comes down to those contract "cards" which I suspect will mean more of the same thanks to the very long underlying NBC/IOC contract. Hit or miss for national and worlds and moving target for made-for-TV events.