SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) Final
SCO (Kennedy) (7)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 9:00am PT
Quin/Abre 8th
Pere/Cohe  Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 13 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-17-15 11:35PM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Yep, that's the sentiment shared my curling gals, $30 ok to play 2 games against former Scotties champs but would rather pay $60 for a bonspiel. I am also finding a reluctance to try and compete...lately the only one who is eager to compete in OCA amongst my friends is 78 & regularly curls 3x a days at lead! Women half her age moan & groan about how "tough" the play downs are. Maybe we as a society are becoming wimpier.

100 per cent agreed

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-18-15 12:32AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
So now are we going to hear about how the system needs to be changed because a team with four losses in the qualifying process didn't get there?

makes one wonder doesn't it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.94.61.202

01-18-15 01:02AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Excluding the top 3-4 teams, the rest would be equivalent of most other provinces, other than AB and MB. If you don't count the automatic points these teams earn by playing each other EVERY week, they'd be just like every other team in Canada trying to make their way to the brier. Yes, congrats you have the OCA tour, but it's still the viscious circle of points. Teams with points playing vs teams with points will earn MORE points, regardless of talent level. Teams playing within THEIR provinces of teams that can't afford to travel to play against teams with GUARANTEED points EVERY week, will NEVER earn enough points to compete against their Ontario counterparts. The one example that can be used for THIS season is Casey from PEI. Yes they did well but they had to travel to about 15 spiels to earn their points. And they had major sponsorship and CCA funding. How many teams can take 50 days vacation from work to do this? None is the answer unless you're full time curlers.

Adam Casey got no CCA funding and had limited sponsorship. They funded their travels up front and only recently added sponsorship they gained from the exposure they got for WINNING.

Sponsorship is not a gift, it's earned just like any dollar on the ice is earned.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-18-15 01:02AM
Batty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Batty Click here to Send Batty a Private Message Find more posts by Batty Add Batty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Funny it was like that the Bonspiel I curled in there in Nov over...and the ice was very heavy too.

excuse me ..two feet or curl is plenty to bury a stone

01-18-15 01:13AM
Unregistered

Re: WTF!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLING NUTS
Loss to Ross then McDonald? Who wudda thunk it?

Makes me think Ontario has some quality teams the rest of Canada has never heard of because they don't play in WCT events.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.71.72.42

01-18-15 01:34AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Can we stop blaming "bad ice" for the lack of success of these spoiled "slam" teams.

Can we stop having important games played on bad ice? How about that instead?

01-18-15 01:43AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
So now are we going to hear about how the system needs to be changed because a team with four losses in the qualifying process didn't get there?

This is not about team Howard, although there's more attention being paid to it because it's team Howard. It's about a broken qualifying system sometimes played in poor conditions. It should be changed cause it sucks. No other reason.

01-18-15 01:53AM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Batty

excuse me ..two feet or curl is plenty to bury a stone

Ok, but is it plenty to make a hack weight takeout around a guard? And, at least during the game against Ross, one turn had less than a foot of curl according to CurlingGeek. I'm sorry, but that sucks.

01-18-15 01:54AM
Batty
Swing Artist

Re: WTF!

quote:
Loss to Ross then McDonald? Who wudda thunk it?

and Villard and Squires

01-18-15 02:12AM
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Tankard Playdowns

quote:

Hi Pete,

The baseball analogy is in fact valid. The point was that the history of the event and something that I liked was that no one got any quarter based on previous play. We all started at the club level whether world champion or not. The series winner has to play the 162 games to get back just like the teams that it beat last year.

I think it should be within the single competition, you think it shouldn't and so you like the bye. You are welcome to you opinion and I to mine

You don't have any comment (I find that near impossible to believe) on the other 90 percent of what was commented on? Do you support the change to allow teams to be made up of players from out of province? If yes, why change this?

Well, in fairness, that was a really long post, lol. I wanted to focus on my main gripe. Certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I must insist that the baseball analogy is not valid because it is a league and has a full season. If the playdowns included a full season of like 50 games, then I would agree that a bye to the Tankard is silly, but since they don't, then it is a completely different animal. As I pointed out, tennis and golf are much closer analogies and favour my argument.

Since you asked, I suppose I support the change to allow out of province players (although that is not in place yet). I think all the policing of which province a guy lives in is a little silly, and also difficult, as proven by the fact that guys are doing it already, even though it's not supposed to be allowed. It's particularly silly when deciding a team to represent us at the world level. If you want to maintain the rule about keeping all the players from one province, I think you have to do away with deciding our world rep from the Brier. Does it really makes sense to say to a team, "you can't represent us on the world level, because you all don't hail from the same place"?

I would agree that regional representation is inherent to the Brier and I wouldn't want to change that fact, nor would I want to change the idea of the Brier winner repping Canada at the Worlds. I kind of like the idea someone had that the skip has to come from the province in question to represent them, and other than that anything goes. I will acknowledge there is not a simple solution, but I certainly don't think some out of province players is the end of the world, and it's going to happen anyway. As long as one or two players have some connection to the province, I think the regional flavour of the event will still be there.

01-18-15 06:46AM
Desifan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Desifan Click here to Send Desifan a Private Message Find more posts by Desifan Add Desifan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Desifan
Hitting Paint

Well, Howard has been in provincials for years. I want a change and there's no Howard this year. Things come to an end and I'm glad about this.

01-18-15 07:47AM
Jones40

Wins on merit not history

I have been reading the posts regarding "bad" ice and various theories on why the Howard team are not going to the provincials. In reality it is fairly simple.

The team played in the play downs and lost.
The team played in the Challenge Round and lost.
Neither of those venues were a "one loss and your out format". They lost the games they needed to win to advance.

In my humble opinion that pretty much sums up why the Howard team are not in the provincials.

There are some excellent teams in Ontario and some very good up and coming junior teams. I look forward to seeing them all play. Although the Howard team has a much higher profile than any other team in Ontario (not including N.O), they simply failed to qualify. Not much head scratching needed on that front.

We can talk about changing the format so that high performing teams in the slams get buys into the provincials but that change will not happen via this format. The Ontario Curling Association would have to be lobbied and fairly compelling arguments made. Until then it is what it is. Play down format; the same for all.

As for talk about ice conditions, curlers from other countries have laughed at our excuses for failing to win world titles when Canadian teams and broadcasters blame the poor ice or rocks. I am cognizant that perfect conditions are ideal for great shot making but in reality that is not going to happen. Various factors such as weather, changing ice conditions etc. adversely affect playing surfaces. As in golf, conditions vary. Those who can adjust, win. Those who cannot adjust, lose.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.241.206.105

01-18-15 08:27AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Desifan
Well, Howard has been in provincials for years. I want a change and there's no Howard this year. Things come to an end and I'm glad about this.

I'm not glad. Actually I'm kind of sad. But, you are quite correct. Things do come to an end and its probably time for the Howard rink to move over and let some young guns in. There is obviously a lot of talent in mens Ontario and not seeing Howard is something we'll just have to get used to. I'll miss him for sure but I'll encourage other Ontario rinks as time goes forward.

01-18-15 08:35AM
owlhooter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for owlhooter Click here to Send owlhooter a Private Message Find more posts by owlhooter Add owlhooter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
owlhooter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Bad ice, bad rocks, bad games

Howard lost.

I'm sure most people have pointed out that Rory McIlroy and Roger Federer don't have to sign up at the beginning of what are OPEN championships. Yes, those are slightly different examples, and when it comes to curling, places like Bradford, Ontario are different animals.

Bad ice is one thing. We've all played on bad ice ice you can't make shots. THe great Pete Stetski made a draw around a guard that was about a foot over the hog, and 7 inches off the center line, and we couldn't hit and stay. Impossible.

That's bad ice. When shots can't be made, regardless of talent or experience. Been there.

Bad rocks though, that's even worse. It is harder to pick up bad rocks on bad ice. It is hard to determine if a rocks curls more when rocks don't curl. harder to pick up slower rocks on slow ice.

Unlike other sports, ours is a repeatable game. To compare it to golf, our game is mostly played on the green with the golf course's putter. We have the muscle memory to make the draw, but we need to use the club's rocks. So, if there happens to be bad rocks, the identification of that bad rock does more than just cost a couple of points. It messes with your head. Inside that cranium of ours, we wonder, how much of that miss was us, and how much the rock. The good players have short memories. Yes, I can remember the draw Pete made on sheet D, but in the game, we have to let it go.

So here's what I'll end with. We should be dissapointed in a format that forces one of the best players the province has ever produced to struggle with rocks and ice.

He deserves better, and we deserve to see him ply his trade a few more times in conditions that bring out his best. Not conditions like this.

01-18-15 09:12AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Thanks to all our viewers yesterday. We peaked at a little over 550 for the second Howard game. Lots of fun, and for the most part the chat are stayed civil. Thanks also to Bradford CC. They were kind to me, and built a great setup in the lounge for the fans in the stands.

The game story from where I sat was: Team Ross and Team McDonald both played extremely well.

In particular: Scott McDonald made two all-world pistols to get his victory: a 15 foot quiet angle raise to turn a steal of one into a score of two in the 4th, and in the 10th: an outstanding draw to the side of the lid to force an extra. Actually: let's give the McDonald front end most of the credit for that last one: great judgement and sweeping.

http://www.curlinggeek.com/screenca...cDonald-4th.png

http://www.curlinggeek.com/screenca...Donald-10th.png

I'll repeat something said elsewhere: Team Howard has been all-class this whole month. Richard's comments here and on the podcast were honest, frank and respectful. Last night they came up to the lounge after the game, had a few beverages with their opponents, and interacted with the fans. I'm sure they would have rather crawled under a rock, but they didn't.

01-18-15 09:34AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Are you doing any more games today? Great coverage yesterday, almost like being there.

01-18-15 09:42AM
Batty
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingGeek
Thanks to all our viewers yesterday. We peaked at a little over 550 for the second Howard game. Lots of fun, and for the most part the chat are stayed civil. Thanks also to Bradford CC. They were kind to me, and built a great setup in the lounge for the fans in the stands.

The game story from where I sat was: Team Ross and Team McDonald both played extremely well.

In particular: Scott McDonald made two all-world pistols to get his victory: a 15 foot quiet angle raise to turn a steal of one into a score of two in the 4th, and in the 10th: an outstanding draw to the side of the lid to force an extra. Actually: let's give the McDonald front end most of the credit for that last one: great judgement and sweeping.

I'll repeat something said elsewhere: Team Howard has been all-class this whole month. Richard's comments here and on the podcast were honest, frank and respectful. Last night they came up to the lounge after the game, had a few beverages with their opponents, and interacted with the fans. I'm sure they would have rather crawled under a rock, but they didn't.

that fourth end shot was something else

01-18-15 09:46AM
Unregistered

IMHO,
Instead of trying to design a system to ensure the "top" team doesn't lose in events with "bad" conditions, perhaps money and training should be directed by the OCA and CCA to clubs hosting these events to improve the conditions? CCA seems to be spending a lot of money on events for the elite (Canada Cup, Continental Cup) which we can debate should even exist instead of money for Provincial and National Championships.

As for Ontario system itself. Most curlers have been discussing improvements for at least a decade. It becomes higher profile when a team like Team Howard has to participate.

My ideal scenario takes a page from Alberta and Sask (they both have Southerns and Northerns being played right now). Ontario should have Eastern and Western. Here is the format.

Team 1, defending champ
Team 2, Leader in Ontario Tour points (Not CTRS as that is national and the Provincials should be about the teams playing in the province.
Team 3 and 4 - Winners of Superspiels earlier in the season. A return of the Welton in the east and perhaps use the Stu Shells as the other.
Teams 5-8 - Winners of 16 team Easterns (Region 1 and 2). Triple knock out for 4 spots.
Teams 9-12 - Winners of 16 team Westerns (Region 3 and 4). Triple knock out for 4 spots.

You get to the 16 team eastern/western via 4 regional open events. Triple knock out format for 8 spots.

Eliminate Challenge round.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 72.39.235.33

01-18-15 10:02AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I think alberta and saskatchewan have the best way of doing things overall.

01-18-15 10:09AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Batty

that fourth end shot was something else

I don't suppose there's video of it somewhere?

01-18-15 10:28AM
Unregistered

Too bad the best teams 20 years and 30 years ago were never able to win because of ice and rocks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 67.193.177.17

01-18-15 10:59AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Are you doing any more games today? Great coverage yesterday, almost like being there.

Great news! We have a volunteer for the A final at 1pm eastern: Middaugh vs. Rumfeldt.

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/37

Last edited by CurlingGeek on 01-18-15 at 11:21AM

01-18-15 11:10AM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingGeek

No wonder McDonald won. In the 4th end screen capture you provide, McDonald had 5 rocks left to Howards 3 .

01-18-15 11:22AM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

quote:

No wonder McDonald won. In the 4th end screen capture you provide, McDonald had 5 rocks left to Howards 3 .

:-) Rocks remaining are at the top....but you're not the first to see it that way. I should hide the rocks out of play.

01-18-15 12:16PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Adam Casey got no CCA funding and had limited sponsorship. They funded their travels up front and only recently added sponsorship they gained from the exposure they got for WINNING.

Sponsorship is not a gift, it's earned just like any dollar on the ice is earned.

He DID get his 25% cut from team Gushue from CCA and Sport Canada funding for appearing in the Brier though, did he not? A great head start for funding the team for the year. Much more than most teams.