Neumann 3rd
McLaughlin  Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 25 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-08-15 12:36PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

I've seen a lot of Briers, but I honestly can't remember:

1. So many "highlight real" shots in every game,
2. Such lively rocks-especially when a hit rock goes "backward".

It's sort of like a club game-except these guys know what they're doing!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-08-15 01:32PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by decade
What happened to the relegation nova scotia thread? K

Moved into this Brier thread. Both threads were now just talking about the Brier, so they were merged together.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-08-15 03:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

thats just a bad ending for newfoundland. i feel for them. finishing 2nd in round robin and leaving with nothing

03-08-15 03:37PM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
thats just a bad ending for newfoundland. i feel for them. finishing 2nd in round robin and leaving with nothing

35,000 nothings!

03-08-15 03:49PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by freezetothehack

35,000 nothings!

Judging by Gushue's reaction, that will not satisfy the disappointment. His play just fell apart. He went from the most fantastic shot of the event to the most disappointing outcome. Maybe if he could keep a team together for more than one year? Next year will be it?

Can't wait for tonights game.

03-08-15 04:11PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
It all changed in the 5th end of the 1-2 game. Gushue was in control of the game, and giving up that 3 was crushing.

03-08-15 04:19PM
hit_paint is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hit_paint Click here to Send hit_paint a Private Message Find more posts by hit_paint Add hit_paint to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hit_paint
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Right now, based 75% on the Brier and 25% on slam results I'd have to rate the Top 3 teams in the world as:

1. Brad Jacobs
2. Pat Simmons/Johnny Mo combo
3. Steve Laycock

Murdoch or Edin probably the first foreign team on this list then:

4. Kevin Koe
5. Brad Gushue
6. Mike McEwen
7. John Epping
8. JM Menard
9. Glenn Howard
10. Braden Calvert/ Jim Cotter (tie)

Carruthers, Kean, Mallais, Jamie Koe, etc. don't warrant consideration.

If you're basing your list off of 75% Brier results and 25% Slam results how can you include a junior curling team who has played in neither? This whole list makes little to zero sense. Again, if basing the list off of 75% Brier results and 25% slam results how can you justify having Laycock and especially Koe ahead of Gushue? Need I remind you that Brad beat both Koe and Laycock in the round robin, finished higher than Koe overall and lost on last rock to Laycock (meaning he finishes one spot lower than Steve). Add that with his 2 slam wins this year and your placement of Brad as fifth on the list is ridiculous. However, this post is just as ridiculous as most of your other posts so I'm not surprised. Wouldn't have shocked me if you added Jennifer Jones to the list.

Last edited by hit_paint on 03-08-15 at 04:26PM

03-08-15 04:29PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

wow really downer for Brad Gushue losing to Sask Laycock team like that, but such is curling, almost makes me think that the province of Saskatchewan has pretty good representation at this years Brier, what with winning bronze medal and having Pat Simmons skipping Team Canada later tonight against Jacobs, would it not BE A UPSET IF THE GREEN MACHINE go on to win the Brier?

03-08-15 05:39PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

manitoba legend, calvert number 10. there has not been a manitoba junior champion skip been in the brier since kerry burtnyk 1978. he may be goood now but he may join the long list of skips that showed promise but never delivered in the men's rank

03-08-15 06:02PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

If Team Canada were to win tonight, what happens with this squad? As I recall, this was sort of a temporary arrangement in the wake of last year's Brier win as Kevin Koe was leaving the team and either Nolan or Carter (or both, I can't recall) wanted to take some downtime from the game. Have they given any indication of their long-term plans?

03-08-15 06:20PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Right now, based 75% on the Brier and 25% on slam results I'd have to rate the Top 3 teams in the world as:

1. Brad Jacobs
2. Pat Simmons/Johnny Mo combo
3. Steve Laycock

Murdoch or Edin probably the first foreign team on this list then:

4. Kevin Koe
5. Brad Gushue
6. Mike McEwen
7. John Epping
8. JM Menard
9. Glenn Howard
10. Braden Calvert/ Jim Cotter (tie)

Carruthers, Kean, Mallais, Jamie Koe, etc. don't warrant consideration.

saying calvert is the 10th best team in the world right now is a joke

edin, murdoch, ulsrud, decruz, michel, bottcher, kean, carruthers, casey, cotter, are all better than him. and thee are more but there is just to many to list off.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-08-15 at 06:26PM

03-08-15 06:21PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

ESPN did not carry bronze medal game in USA. Can someone tell me how Laycock stole 10th and 11th to best Gushue?

03-08-15 06:28PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Had to miss most of bronze metal game. Might it be available as a rerun from some archive medium?

03-08-15 06:32PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
ESPN did not carry bronze medal game in USA. Can someone tell me how Laycock stole 10th and 11th to best Gushue?

sure. well the extra end started as a disaster when an attempted tick by geoff walker ended up being a nose hit that promoted the saskatchewan guard onto the pin . sasaktchewan messed up a guard and newfoundland got access to it. a series of hits amd draws ensued until newfoundland sat one on the 4 foot . yhere were a couple saskatchewan counters around as well. on steves first he played a freeze to shot rock on the 4 foot. brad tried to blast but it didnt work and left saskatchewan shot rock and 2nd shot biting the 4. steve drew to the top 8 and made sure brad had no hit on shot rock or draw available . there was a bunch of shrapnel aout front so he couldnt draw from the in turn or the out turn. he tried to run a saskatchewan guard in at an angle to get saskatchewan shots ocks off the 4 but he was wide and gave a steal of 2.

03-08-15 06:40PM
Steviewondering is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steviewondering Click here to Send Steviewondering a Private Message Find more posts by Steviewondering Add Steviewondering to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steviewondering
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

saying calvert is the 10th best team in the world right now is a joke

edin, murdoch, ulsrud, decruz, michel, bottcher, kean, carruthers, casey, cotter, are all better than him. and thee are more but there is just to many to list off.

I wouldn't put him in the top ten myself. But it would be wrong to say that Calvert and his squad couldn't compete with those guys on any given day. Their run in Manitoba provincials shows that.

03-08-15 06:50PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Final time: TSN has full coverage, but if you're out of country or away from the TV, you can join us on CurlingGeek for our final broadcast of the brier:

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/109

Game time is 5pm MT, 7pm Eastern. Out of country fans: note that daylight savings changes this morning will have changed your time conversion....double check!

03-08-15 06:54PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
If Team Canada were to win tonight, what happens with this squad? As I recall, this was sort of a temporary arrangement in the wake of last year's Brier win as Kevin Koe was leaving the team and either Nolan or Carter (or both, I can't recall) wanted to take some downtime from the game. Have they given any indication of their long-term plans?

Geoff Walker returns to Alberta?

03-08-15 07:05PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Steviewondering

I wouldn't put him in the top ten myself. But it would be wrong to say that Calvert and his squad couldn't compete with those guys on any given day. Their run in Manitoba provincials shows that.

but when we rank teams we have to take into account accomplishments and all of those teams have accomplished more.

also..not saying they woukd blow calvert away but certainly in any best of 5 series or whatever you would favor all of them to w7n out.

i think my ranking of calvert r7ght now would be in the 25-30 range

03-08-15 07:15PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

It was Carter who wanted to stop curling, last year, but hung on so they could keep Team Canada status. If they win, he might go, but I'm guessing the other three will stick together. It they lose, Morris may not want to play another season either. I don't get the sense that Simmons or Thiessen want to stop playing competitively.

03-08-15 07:24PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

If they win and don't return, does anyone know the official ruling. Would it be 2 teams come out of relegation or would they do something like have the runner up become team Canada. Hopefully not the latter.

03-08-15 07:42PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
If they win and don't return, does anyone know the official ruling. Would it be 2 teams come out of relegation or would they do something like have the runner up become team Canada. Hopefully not the latter.

It would be the latter.

03-08-15 07:53PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

So if in the absolute worst case scenario, all the teams split up and/or couldn't return as team Canada, would the relegated team Koe become Team Canada. Far fetched but possible?

03-08-15 08:05PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

When Thiessen sweeps on rock, it looks like Rycroft is sweeping so far from the rock as to hardly be effective at all. Am I missing something?

03-08-15 08:35PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

In 2015 there are one or more shots every game that even 20 years ago would have been called "best Brier shots ever".

03-08-15 08:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Its only an eponymous ranking. Might not be even 25 cuz he didn't play much in the cash season. No grand slam entries either. Just a second Manitoba junior title, a top 4 at the Manitoba championships and the world junior today.

I'd certainly have him one or two down from Brendan Bottcher - ie. if Bottcher is #10 then Calvert is #12 but its basically anecdotal rankings.

I'd rank Kelsey Rocque in the Top 10 of all Canadian womens team (with ease)......might even be Top 5 - - - - I think if Jones retires next couple years Katie is gonna be dialing up Kelsey and asking her what she's doing!

even in a ranking like that you certainly cant rank kelsey among the women. she has done literally nothing on the adult cash tour yet, we dont know how she will transition.

in short even thinking like that i wouldnt have either one even top 20

Last edited by misty1 on 03-08-15 at 08:42PM