M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-04-14 04:50PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
I'm a touch surprised Team BC and John "The Parachute" Morris are hanging in there. They've got to realize most of BC, especially in the men's curling community, want to see them soil their bedsheets. Nothing against the boys but they're harboring a guy who is clearly in violation of his exemption to play in the province.

On the other hand; Jim, Ty and Rick look to be playing well and they do have one of the most decorated curlers in our generation calling the game. Unfortunately I still can't get behind it. John Morris being allowed to play in BC past the trials is a joke.

CurlBC is so desperate to have a contender and not face relegation that they'd say and do anything to keep him in, inspite of the uproar and response from the curling community. I wonder if the standings get tight at the end of the week, is the Morris situation going to blow up with some of the teams that are on the bubble? I know they're there to curl and nothing else but when the rules are clearly being broken, at what point is someone going to say something and force some accountability on someone.

I just don't understand this issue people have with what John is doing. Athletes in sports all over the world represent different countries than the ones they live in so how is John representing BC while living in Alberta any worse?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-04-14 04:52PM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:
I'm a touch surprised Team BC and John "The Parachute" Morris are hanging in there. They've got to realize most of BC, especially in the men's curling community, want to see them soil their bedsheets. Nothing against the boys but they're harboring a guy who is clearly in violation of his exemption to play in the province.

On the other hand; Jim, Ty and Rick look to be playing well and they do have one of the most decorated curlers in our generation calling the game. Unfortunately I still can't get behind it. John Morris being allowed to play in BC past the trials is a joke.

CurlBC is so desperate to have a contender and not face relegation that they'd say and do anything to keep him in, inspite of the uproar and response from the curling community. I wonder if the standings get tight at the end of the week, is the Morris situation going to blow up with some of the teams that are on the bubble? I know they're there to curl and nothing else but when the rules are clearly being broken, at what point is someone going to say something and force some accountability on someone.

Not ever, never going to happen at this event, this week.That simple.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-04-14 06:54PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

This team had the same right as any other in BC to submit their application and state their case. The responsibility lied with Curl BC to review the submission and say yes or no. And I'll state as I have once already on the issue, there is no doubt in my mind they would have respected either decision and abided it-unlike the past when Bodnarchuk forced the issue to the courts.

I don't know what was submitted so I won't comment if the decision was the right one.

But I do believe that Curl BC needs to come clean to BC curlers about how they arrived at it. And I don't mean a vague, political speak. But a clear, detailed and honest explanation. They owe it to every one-and that includes Team Morris.

Last edited by jamcan on 03-04-14 at 06:57PM

03-04-14 06:58PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

JB42,
There's just no way we're going to settle this without several pitchers of beer and a long night at the curling club.

We'll agree to disagree.

Let me know when you're in Calgary and I'll buy the first round.

03-04-14 07:05PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Alternately if you ever make it to the WCT Stu Sells I'll buy. I can use my member number. (High Park Curling Club, Toronto)

03-04-14 07:17PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

This team had the same right as any other in BC to submit their application and state their case. The responsibility lied with Curl BC to review the submission and say yes or no. And I'll state as I have once already on the issue, there is no doubt in my mind they would have respected either decision and abided it-unlike the past when Bodnarchuk forced the issue to the courts.

I don't know what was submitted so I won't comment if the decision was the right one.

But I do believe that Curl BC needs to come clean to BC curlers about how they arrived at it. And I don't mean a vague, political speak. But a clear, detailed and honest explanation. They owe it to every one-and that includes Team Morris.

John's exemption was based on him working in BC for the 13/14 curling season. He has not lifted a finger to date in this province, is currently not working in this province and apparently only intends to after the curling season is over.

"Curl BC has a written commitment from John, verified in writing by his employer, that he is working part-time in Sooke, BC in the Spring/Summer of 2014." Scott Braley- CurlBC, CEO.

That's straight from the horses mouth. All but admitting that John is not working in BC over the period that his exemption was granted for. He has not followed through on the terms of his exemption, thus creating a CCA rules infraction in the province of BC. CurlBC and the CCA are obviously not about to call out one of their most popular players at this point, but after the Brier, someone is going to be held accountable.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.66.7.253

03-04-14 07:52PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Easy there tiger.....no need to go SLAPPing anyone. We're all friends here. Or at least friendly. Or at least....ah what the hell slap away.....lol......

"Dying is easy, comedy's hard"

03-04-14 07:54PM
JB42
Drawmaster

SLAPP

Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strate...c_participation

03-04-14 08:38PM
Unregistered

Sorry folks, that comment was a little overboard. It was obviously a poor shot a humor and sarcasm at a contentious situation. Bad choice of words and my apologies to curling zone, Morris and the people posting here.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.66.7.253

03-05-14 07:18AM
Unregistered

Nice apology. Your a good guy. Lets move on

Like the slams the cream is rising to the top ... Congrats to the 2016 Scottie girls. ... The Kelsey Rocque. Team who won the jr worlds in flims today. !

Really enjoying watching the curling ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-05-14 08:26AM
Unregistered

Livestream

Since we do not get tsn2, can one get livestream somehow today?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.54.104.108

03-05-14 10:02AM
RockOn ft

Question came up last night in club curling regarding Kevin Koe and his release. From the camara angle it looks as though he releases the rock then touches it again on the back. Would that not be considered a burnt rock? Maybe he does not re-touch.Any good help with the answer would definatly be helpfull.Rock On

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.244.60.114

03-05-14 10:22AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by RockOn ft
Question came up last night in club curling regarding Kevin Koe and his release. From the camara angle it looks as though he releases the rock then touches it again on the back. Would that not be considered a burnt rock? Maybe he does not re-touch.Any good help with the answer would definatly be helpfull.Rock On

As long as he releases the rock before the hogline then its all good. If he did touch it again after the hogline the lights would go off. He might get away with it once but not repeatedly

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.150

03-05-14 11:20AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:

If Kevin releases his rock then touches it again it is technically considered a burnt rock. You will very seldom (if ever) see this called since it's really hard to prove unless it's blatant. Especially now that they've gone to the sensors in the handles and don't have hogline judges anymore. The sensors will detect a retouch, but only if you touch the handle again, not the back of the rock.

My personal opinion is you should be able to let go of the rock and touch it again as many times as you want as long as you don't contact it after the hogline.

03-05-14 12:07PM
Unregistered

BC has the hardest finishing draw by far. Newfoundland, Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Them finishing 6-5 isn't outside the realm of possibility

Im most surprised about Newfoundland. Brad has a great young team with him, the best since Nicholas left really and he's 2-4 and down early to BC. I just hope he doesn't shuffle again after the disappointments of this season but past indicates differently

03-05-14 12:08PM
Unregistered

sorry, that should be Nichols not Nicholas

03-05-14 12:17PM
Duck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Click here to Send Duck a Private Message Find more posts by Duck Add Duck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duck
Swing Artist

quote:

Kudog has always had that little finger tip touch near the hog-line. With his delivery however, his hand never does fully leave the handle before his final little push making it a legal delivery.

In the game against Y/NWT, Pat actually had a rock burnt because he double touched it and the red light came on. Not too sure if his 2nd touch came after the hog line and that is why the light came on or if they are programmed to detect a 2nd touch.

03-05-14 12:34PM
Unregistered

not looking good for Newfoundland here

03-05-14 01:18PM
Unregistered

so..right now nova scotia and pei would be relegated if I understand correctly right?

like if the birer ended tomorrow then those 2 teams would be relegated

03-05-14 01:21PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Duck

Kudog has always had that little finger tip touch near the hog-line. With his delivery however, his hand never does fully leave the handle before his final little push making it a legal delivery.

In the game against Y/NWT, Pat actually had a rock burnt because he double touched it and the red light came on. Not too sure if his 2nd touch came after the hog line and that is why the light came on or if they are programmed to detect a 2nd touch.

I think both in that case. The rock is designed to detect a second touch, but I think Pat's second touch came over the line. Either way it's a burnt rock.

03-05-14 01:23PM
Unregistered

quote:
so..right now nova scotia and pei would be relegated if I understand correctly right?

like if the birer ended tomorrow then those 2 teams would be relegated

to the relegation round just before next Brier.

But they'd still have a chance to compete for a spot.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.219.69.217

03-05-14 01:26PM
Unregistered

Gushoes claim to fame

The Golden Olympian and the maligned Jeff Stoughton for what he said in 2005. The way I recall it, while Brad is a very good curler, prior to the trials he invited Russ to be his 5th (we all know 5ths rarely play , but in a pinch) . Quickly he benched a team member that got them there and put Russ in as SKIP ( but throw 2nd rocks) . At this level, it is well known that strategy, reading ice, calling shots and experience are key to success. Russ Howard led the team through the trials and subsequently to a gold medal. Brad got and took all the platitudes that came with the win with very little/or no reference or credit given to Russ. This continues to this day. Is it a coincidence that those were his ONLY two wins of consequence since his men's curling days? Aside from perhaps the odd slam and coming out of NFL/Lab every year (so does Koe of NWT), he has really won very little on his own. Yet, he is always introduced as this Olympic wonder boy. To me , during the Olympic run, Gushue was to Russ Howard, like Nedohin was to Ferby and we never hear of Nedohins' team doing all the winning and given all the credit.
I admire Russ's "high road" approach in his present position (does excellent job) as he always speaks well of Brad and never really talks about their Olympic run.
Unless my recall is totally off base, I will continue to have little respect for Brad Gushue.

PS Brad has a lot more experience today than he had in 2005 and has had the benefit of playing the game under the tutelage of Russ Howard. Incidentally, Jeff's comment in 2005 was accurate when he talked about Brads rink, however, he wound up losing (by a measure) to Russ Howard.

03-05-14 01:37PM
Unregistered

I think that's why Brad is so desperate to win a Brier. He is a great curler, no one can say he is not. However I still do hear a fair amount of people who are of the idea that without Russ Howard Brad Gushue never even would have won the trials yet alone the Olympics.
You cant really say for sure what would have happened, I think its unfair to take all credit away from brad. However I think with every year that belief that he only won because of Russ grows stronger and maybe more people start to think that way too

If Brad could win a Brier maybe it would finally shut those people up. Im sure Brad could care less what people think of him but maybe somewhere in the back of his mind it is a motivator for him

03-05-14 01:43PM
ML

Re: Gushoes claim to fame

quote:
The Golden Olympian and the maligned Jeff Stoughton for what he said in 2005. The way I recall it, while Brad is a very good curler, prior to the trials he invited Russ to be his 5th (we all know 5ths rarely play , but in a pinch) . Quickly he benched a team member that got them there and put Russ in as SKIP ( but throw 2nd rocks) . At this level, it is well known that strategy, reading ice, calling shots and experience are key to success. Russ Howard led the team through the trials and subsequently to a gold medal. Brad got and took all the platitudes that came with the win with very little/or no reference or credit given to Russ. This continues to this day. Is it a coincidence that those were his ONLY two wins of consequence since his men's curling days? Aside from perhaps the odd slam and coming out of NFL/Lab every year (so does Koe of NWT), he has really won very little on his own. Yet, he is always introduced as this Olympic wonder boy. To me , during the Olympic run, Gushue was to Russ Howard, like Nedohin was to Ferby and we never hear of Nedohins' team doing all the winning and given all the credit.
I admire Russ's "high road" approach in his present position (does excellent job) as he always speaks well of Brad and never really talks about their Olympic run.
Unless my recall is totally off base, I will continue to have little respect for Brad Gushue.

PS Brad has a lot more experience today than he had in 2005 and has had the benefit of playing the game under the tutelage of Russ Howard. Incidentally, Jeff's comment in 2005 was accurate when he talked about Brads rink, however, he wound up losing (by a measure) to Russ Howard.

I have a lot of respect for Goo as he's competed hard in most of his Brier appearances. We all know Brad won gold cuz he rented Russ's brain.

The other reason was Stoughton's arrogance and then Jeff's reduced performance in the final.

Stoughton & Goo are both enigmas. You never know when Jeff is gonna crash - you just know he will.

Gushue is just a case of an auto-berth meeting an average team.

Both guys are fun to watch.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.219.69.217

03-05-14 01:51PM
Unregistered

Lets not forget that Mark Nichols shot" lights out" in that olympic run as the third whic h would have further enhanced Brads final shots.