Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-11-13 01:48PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Olympic trials qualifying-Jacobs?

It would seem possible Jacobs could win the World's and not qualify for Winnipeg unless I'm missing something.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-11-13 02:00PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I think that's right. I don't think the World's alone would be enough to take the 4th and 5th spots away from Koe and McEwen. He'll need to take the 6th spot from Epping. Not sure if the Worlds is enough for that. There is still the Players Championship to get big points.

Keep in mind that apart from the Brier, Jacobs doesn't have many high scoring CTRS results - he was a finalist at the Canadian Open, and won a smaller Ontario event, but that's about it.

03-11-13 02:03PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

CTRS

They get CTRS points for winning the Brier and would based on their performance at Worlds also.

They got 8 points for gettin out of NONT, 45 points for winning the Brier and at worlds would get 45 for first, 35 for second, 30 for third and 20 for fourth. (potentially 98 points)

Jacobs is 210 points out of the 2 year spot, but only 74 points out of the 2012-2013 CTRS spot right now (both 2 year and 1 year each get a spot - not sure if they added the NONT and Brier points yet, I think not) with Worlds and Players Championship to go (and a couple ahead of him already qualified).

Last edited by murphyj87 on 03-11-13 at 02:17PM

03-11-13 02:19PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Brier is already added to the 12-13 standings.
http://www.curling.ca/ctrs-trials/2...-standings-men/

Keep in mind that only your 8 best CTRS scores are counted each year. So at the Worlds, their points will replace the 15 they got at the "StuSells Toronto Tankard". Going to be really tough to catch Koe for that 12-13 spot, unless Jacobs also does well at the Players.

McEwen is miles ahead for the first 11-13 spot. I think Jacobs is basically shooting for the second 11-13 spot, and he needs to catch Epping for that.

03-11-13 02:32PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Has Jacobs already qualified for the preTrials? Does this conversation just reflect the auto-berths to the Trials?

03-11-13 02:48PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Just talking about the 6 direct spots to the finals. He'll definitely be in the pre-trials.

03-11-13 03:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what position do you have to be in the range of to make the pre-trials? and when is that list made?

am i insane in thinking team virtue might still have a shot at getting to the pre-trials?

03-11-13 03:53PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

gunnlaugson made the pretrials for the last olympics. seems Virtue and crew is equally qualified. I also would like to know. Likin' that team.

03-11-13 04:18PM
Keon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keon Click here to Send Keon a Private Message Find more posts by Keon Add Keon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keon
Hitting Paint

This isn't completely up-to-date, but it give a pretty good example of who is likely to be in the pre-trials: http://www.curling.ca/ctrs-trials/the-race-to-sochi/

This doesn't include recent events such as the Brier, and there are still a few big events to come (Worlds, Player's Championship).

03-11-13 04:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

okay so chances arent to good for team virtue then..to bad

03-11-13 05:32PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Virtue is pretty far down the list. Keep in mind that he basically started fresh this year, after leaving the team that he skipped to the Alberta final.

03-11-13 06:27PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

That list Race to Sochi seems to be missing a date when it was compiled (maybe I am blind). Higgs and Rumfeldt projected to get last two spots - that's an eye roller.
Seems that whether Jacobs can catch Epping will come down to the worlds and players. Eppings worst 8th is 5 pts while Jacobs is 15 as previously said- makes a big difference to the top 8 events for this year.

03-11-13 07:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah..im still left scratching my head wondering what in the hell jake higgs and rob rumfeldt did to get so high up

i honestly cant remember a single event where they factored into the playoffs

what do they do ***** up all the smaller events that arent even on the main tour?

03-11-13 07:27PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

The OCT is chock full'o'points! There was some debate here and on twitter earlier in the season - the OCT has done a great job figuring out the formulas and with a good population of middle-of-the-road ranked teams to get some big CTRS points available in Ontario - remember there was some discussion when several of the "big name" teams had travelled to play the Stu Sells event in Toronto instead of a traditional WCT stop out in BC.

03-11-13 07:44PM
Keon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keon Click here to Send Keon a Private Message Find more posts by Keon Add Keon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keon
Hitting Paint

No doubt there's going to be a lot of Ontario men's teams in the pre-trials. You can see where those points came from:

2-year: http://www.curling.ca/ctrs-trials/2...-standings-men/
This year: http://www.curling.ca/ctrs-trials/2...-standings-men/
Last year: http://www.curling.ca/ctrs-trials/h...-standings-men/

03-11-13 07:48PM
Lotus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lotus Click here to Send Lotus a Private Message Find more posts by Lotus Add Lotus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lotus
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Higgs and Rumfeldt projected to get last two spots - that's an eye roller.

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
yeah..im still left scratching my head wondering what in the hell jake higgs and rob rumfeldt did to get so high up

i honestly cant remember a single event where they factored into the playoffs

what do they do ***** up all the smaller events that arent even on the main tour?

You guys are being rude. Team Higgs and Team Rumfeldt are great guys and solid curlers. They also happen to have nearly double the points team Virtue earned this year. The point system has been altered to make it more fair. If you still don't like the point system the CCA and WCT uses then complain about that, but don't trash these guys. I know this is the internet, but how about a little class please.

03-11-13 08:34PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Lotus

You guys are being rude. Team Higgs and Team Rumfeldt are great guys and solid curlers. They also happen to have nearly double the points team Virtue earned this year. The point system has been altered to make it more fair. If you still don't like the point system the CCA and WCT uses then complain about that, but don't trash these guys. I know this is the internet, but how about a little class please.

Im not trashing them im just trying to understand where they got their points from. I just dont remember them ever really doing alot on the cash tour so i just didnt get it.

I dont really follow the smaller events that arent a apart of the tour

03-11-13 09:06PM
Lotus is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lotus Click here to Send Lotus a Private Message Find more posts by Lotus Add Lotus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lotus
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Im not trashing them im just trying to understand where they got their points from. I just dont remember them ever really doing alot on the cash tour so i just didnt get it.

I dont really follow the smaller events that arent a apart of the tour

The smaller events are apart of the tour. There isn't a big event going on every weekend. If you want to see where they earned their points go to http://www.curling.ca/ctrs-trials/2...-standings-men/ and click "details" next to their name. Then look at the teams that entered those spiels.

03-11-13 09:39PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
If Jacobs doesn't get into the Top 6 on points he'll definitely participate in a rather watered down field for the pre-trials.

Still only two spots with about 8 or 10 teams invited (I'm not actually sure of the entrant limits)

The only guys he's bound to run into at the pre-trials.

Menard, Mark Dacey, Rob Fowler, Rumsfeldt, perhaps even Jim Kotter and Sean Grassie.

Good curlers all - but really Jacobs should cut thru them like a hot knife thru butter for the first spot.

Did you look I to the pretrials before posting this nonsense? It's a 12 team tourney, with only 2 teams qualifying out of it. That's a tough task as any team can get hot for a few days.
In terms of some of the teams likely to be there (apart from Jacobs): Gushue, menard, laycock, fowler, cotter, Frans......
Jacobs, Menard and Gushue would obviously be the favorites, but its no cake walk.

03-11-13 09:45PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Wonder how CathyO-C & Amber Holland qualified without 3 of their 4 players?

03-11-13 10:32PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

And what about Kim Schneider? I think some declarations will be made at some point - and a couple of teams will squeak in at the bottom. Wonder how close Amy Nixon is. *If* two teams forfeit their spot, I'd like to know who's next in line.

Last edited by nelski on 03-11-13 at 10:37PM

03-12-13 06:45AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Brad Jacobs is currently 18.975 points behind John Epping, which seems like a small gap, but because teams only count their 8 best events, they'll need to drop their worst event to add more points. The 15 point event that ranks 8th on Jacobs total means they're actually 33.975 points behind and would need to reach the final of the Worlds to pass Epping by 1.025 points. 35 points for the final, 45 points to win it all.

Right now Epping is still in the drivers seat, as they have 2 events left with the Victoria Classic (before the Worlds) and the Players' Championships, which Jacobs will also be a part of.

The other factor in favour of Epping is that when they play their last two events, the 7th and 8th ranking events on their list are 5 and 6 point results and it will be much easier for Epping to add to their lead.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-12-13 07:35AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Somebody else brought up Virtue. It would be a shame if he doesn't participate in the pre-trials. His third, Moskowy might be the best big man in the business - kinda reminds me of a young Hector Gervais.

Teams should not qualify simply because they have a big man!

The trial qualifications over a period of a few years were set up to avoid potential one hit wonders and to reward consistency. Do you want another gunner at the trials? Entertaining maybe but not Olympic material at this time.

03-12-13 08:49AM
applecurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for applecurl Click here to Send applecurl a Private Message Find more posts by applecurl Add applecurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
applecurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
Brad Jacobs is currently 18.975 points behind John Epping, which seems like a small gap, but because teams only count their 8 best events, they'll need to drop their worst event to add more points. The 15 point event that ranks 8th on Jacobs total means they're actually 33.975 points behind and would need to reach the final of the Worlds to pass Epping by 1.025 points. 35 points for the final, 45 points to win it all.

Right now Epping is still in the drivers seat, as they have 2 events left with the Victoria Classic (before the Worlds) and the Players' Championships, which Jacobs will also be a part of.

The other factor in favour of Epping is that when they play their last two events, the 7th and 8th ranking events on their list are 5 and 6 point results and it will be much easier for Epping to add to their lead.

Does Epping not lose some points when they dropped Young Howard from their Team this month.

03-12-13 09:48AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by applecurl
Does Epping not lose some points when they dropped Young Howard from their Team this month.

No, as long as they maintain 3 of 4 players, they keep all their points in the CTRS and CTRS 2 year list. The change in dropping Howard will come next year when the Order of Merit is created at the beginning of the season.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!