Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > Can we please focus on the upcoming Women's World's from Latvia....

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-12-13 03:33PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Can we please focus on the upcoming Women's World's from Latvia....

wow looking good for Canada, land of the strong and free "maple leaf' , with two young teams both men's and ladies rinks we might be on the thresh hold of greatness, I like our chances at this year's worlds, Holman and Jacobs curling duo could very well surprise many and why not? they both kicked serious butt at their Scotties and Brier finals... Cannot wait for the first telecast to commence , too bad being on the east coast here the late draws from Victoria .B.C. are really late (4 hours behind) 4 and a half in N.L. ....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-12-13 03:41PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

http://www.curlingzone.com/showthre...4134#post114134

03-12-13 03:46PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Holman's Team

I guess Holman's team is stuck in Frankfurt and their flight cancelled for maybe another day with the storm.

The Daceys missed the World Mixed Doubles altogether because of the volcano.

Last edited by murphyj87 on 03-12-13 at 03:50PM

03-12-13 03:56PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: Holman's Team

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
I guess Holman's team is stuck in Frankfurt and their flight cancelled for maybe another day with the storm.

The Daceys missed the World Mixed Doubles altogether because of the volcano.

I hope the organizors consider that. I guess as long as they are in Riga by Friday morning. This time of year, the ferry wouldn't be a good option

03-12-13 08:03PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Provided they arrive alive, this tournament is Homan's to lose. This team will have to "play down" to the competition for the rest to have any chance. I'm not flag boasting, I'm just being honest about what will be known soon as the best women's team ever!

JH

03-12-13 08:29PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

oh no..please tell me your not going to start acting like ManitobaLegend except you'll be on team homan

03-12-13 08:45PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I'd be totally crushed for canadian womens curling if Homan loses more than two games next week.

Hard to go thru a world event undefeated because there's so many diabolical plotters like Schopp & Siggy in the field.

Mirjam Ott can torment the best of them, too with her shakey game but didn't make it thru.

then you'd be over reacting on a high level

id be surprised if she did but i wouldnt be crushed if she did

03-12-13 09:08PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

After watching team Homan cut through the Scotties field like hot butter, I wouldn't be surprised if they ran the table in Latvia, going undefeated. They've raised the bar for women's curling significantly. Will the others catch up?

03-13-13 03:37AM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am confident Team Homan will do well, but it will be a somewhat of a new experience for the team.

Different food, different venues, different set-up. Jet lag, etc. etc. Plus don't forget it has been a whirlwind for them the last two weeks after winning the Canadian nationals.

I am not giving the team a built-in excuse, they're a really talented team, but they will be running on fumes mentally. WHile I expect them to do well, I will understand if they fall short of the finals. It's curling, it happens.

03-13-13 06:53AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Wouldn't it be better if we had just one thread running on the WWCC instead of two?

03-13-13 08:26AM
KittyHisses is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KittyHisses Click here to Send KittyHisses a Private Message Find more posts by KittyHisses Add KittyHisses to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KittyHisses
Swing Artist

I think Sigfridsson and Muirhead are the main competition for Homan at this event. Sidorova, Schopp, and maybe Tirinzoni are all dangerous as well.

03-13-13 08:57AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

To sum up:

1. Rachel is the world's best curler and will kick some serious ass in Riga.

2. This is the best women's field ever and Canada could struggle.

Reality: Canada is the slight favorite going in and barring a catastrophe will finish in the top four. But then, as the hockey folks keep reminding us, "the playoffs are a new ball game".

03-13-13 10:28AM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

On the way

Team Homan:

‎41 hours since we left Ottawa we are now on our final flight to Riga. The airport slumber party is over!

03-13-13 10:46AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Rachel's team does have some international experience and wacky ice is not a stranger to her (she has to play in OCA zones!).

I think this team will do well and will be around a long time. They have a very experienced coach and seemed to handle the travel woes ok. At least they had the good sense to leave early for Riga.

03-13-13 12:28PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Rachel's team does have some international experience and wacky ice is not a stranger to her (she has to play in OCA zones!).

So you drove from Hogtown and watched Zone 1 playdowns at the RCMP Curling Club in Ottawa and determined the ice was "wacky"?

03-13-13 04:41PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

So you drove from Hogtown and watched Zone 1 playdowns at the RCMP Curling Club in Ottawa and determined the ice was "wacky"?

Other years she has played in zones for both women's and mixed. That team can adjust pretty quickly.

03-13-13 04:52PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad
To sum up:

1. Rachel is the world's best curler and will kick some serious ass in Riga.

2. This is the best women's field ever and Canada could struggle.

Reality: Canada is the slight favorite going in and barring a catastrophe will finish in the top four. But then, as the hockey folks keep reminding us, "the playoffs are a new ball game".

I believe they are more then slight favorite but anything can happen in a one game playoff. They are a lock to make playoffs because they are consistantly strong in RRs in Canada. Forget Canada's recent women's records this team is far stronger then our recent teams.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 03-13-13 at 05:09PM

03-13-13 05:16PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Other years she has played in zones for both women's and mixed. That team can adjust pretty quickly.

They play an aggressive style ( pretty prevelant in Ontario ) but can hit with anyone as well. First woman's team in years that reminds me of the big men's powerhouses that more often then not win world titles.

Only slight question mark would be they are still a very young team, but given their tournament experience they are perhaps far more mature then one would be expected. If anything, losing the Ontario final last year and the World junior some time ago has made them hungrier then most to win. For similar reasons, I question Muirhead's strength right now, they really haven't done well for two years if my memory is good. Far more questions about Scotland's ability to cope in my opinion, and I have always been a fan of her as well ( more so her then her team ).

03-13-13 05:20PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

They play an aggressive style ( pretty prevelant in Ontario ) but can hit with anyone as well. First woman's team in years that reminds me of the big men's powerhouses that more often then not with world titles.

Only slight question mark would be they are still a very young team, but given their tournament experience they are perhaps far more mature then one would be expected. If anything, losing the Ontario final last year and the World junior some time ago has made them hungrier then most to win. For similar reasons, I question Muirhead's strength right now, they really haven't done well for two years if my memory is good. Far more questions about Scotland's ability to cope in my opinion, and I have always been a fan of her as well ( more so her then her team ).

Eve is young and some up and down results even for her are to be expected. She's made a world final but lets not forget she had alot of experience in kelly wood and lrona vevers to fall back on with that team and that definately helped.

even rachel has had some unexpected blips in her young career and some inconsistency, some blips during the season.

I dont think that any of the extras will hurt rachel. She's hungry so pressure wont be a concern and she's played alot of these teams before.

03-18-13 03:08PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

looks more like the American's will beat Canada late in the tenth end Rachel threw two rocks which :ticked' and that is the inconsistency which plagued their game today