ENG (Harsch) Final
LTU (Paulauskaite) 11  (6)
SWE (Norberg) Final
SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) (8)
SCO (Kennedy) Final
JPN (Yoshimura) (8)
CAN (Froud) 12  Final
LAT (Kapostina) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-05-16 02:29PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I watched the TSN broadcast live, and I still don't know what shot she was actually playing. I'm not sure the announcers knew either.

She was playing an angle raise to the 4' on the furthest rock to th side. Didn't take enough ice and under threw it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-05-16 02:38PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Re: Wrong again

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks

The new rules crack down on equipment, but not technique, so directional sweeping is still allowed.

The technique is allowed but with the new heads the results are not directional sweeping as defined in the 2015-2016 season.

12-05-16 03:09PM
Cosss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cosss Click here to Send Cosss a Private Message Find more posts by Cosss Add Cosss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cosss
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Wrong again

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

The technique is allowed but with the new heads the results are not directional sweeping as defined in the 2015-2016 season.

The new heads and the sweeping technique, as defined in the rules, means that there is directional sweeping, it's just not nearly as effective as it was last year.

12-05-16 03:15PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Oh, for gods sake, I understand, they are directional sweeping, cornering, snowplowing, but anyone who is seeing the same results as last year needs their eyes checked.

12-05-16 06:58PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Okay biterbar, the effects are reduced. But by what amount? None of the data I've seen from sweeping summit has contained base, benchmark numbers.

What's being used for comparison?/

12-05-16 08:01PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

attendance

From the Brandon Sun

This year's Canada Cup broke the single draw attendance record and the all-time event attendance record of 33,160 set in 2012 in Moose Jaw. A total of 44,989 fans came out to watch some of the nation's curling elite.

12-05-16 10:12PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

ML

Where you the one writing those nasty stories on Carol in the 1982 Brier. I was only 19 and remember them. By the way Carol and Mel are now divorced.

12-05-16 10:38PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Strachan's

and of course being from Hamiota, I must mention Garth Strachan, who taught me a lot!

Sorry - we seemed to have hi-jacked this thread.

12-06-16 09:34AM
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
Okay biterbar, the effects are reduced. But by what amount? None of the data I've seen from sweeping summit has contained base, benchmark numbers.

What's being used for comparison?/

Really? You are the one on tour, have a blog, played a slam, why aren't you telling me the reduction of the effect a new fabric has made?

The loss of that broom they tossed back and forth, saving those precious brush strokes until they were needed most seems to be a big factor and it was apparent in shot placement.

My point is/was that the curling last weekend didn't match up to last years standards that I watched on ESPN. I asked originally if the broom head switch was a big difference.

The answer I was given was yes, so I pondered if curlers would rather still live in the past where EQ heads and Norway were acceptable and no one was using single brushers and plowing to achieve the joy sticking affect.

I am a dumb farmer from south of the border with too much winter time on my hands, don't ask me for stats.

12-06-16 09:50PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Brandon Sun story

sorry, I can only copy and paste this and not just the link, but if you don't have a Brandon sun subscription, you won't be able to read it.

Brandon and Westman should take a bow.

The Home Hardware Canada Cup of Curling went off without a visible hitch and all early indications are that the first Curling Canada event at Westman Place in nearly 15 years turned out better than anyone expected.

There were compliments from curlers and Curling Canada staff about the corporate support, the volunteers and how well Brandon First and vice-chairs Ryan Shields, Nate Andrews and Eric Dickson organized and ran the five-day event, which was won by Winnipeg’s Jennifer Jones and Reid Carruthers.

People also came out in droves to watch 14 of the best curling teams in the country. Brandon destroyed the old overall attendance mark of 33,160, set in 2012 in Moose Jaw, Sask, with the new unofficial figure of 48,786. The new watermark for a single draw was set Friday evening when 4,445 people took in the final round-robin games as well.
The Patch was hopping between draws and in the evenings and the fans were supportive of all the teams during the competition, something all the players appreciated even though the Manitoba teams may have drawn some louder cheers.

When talking to curlers about Brandon as a host, the same comments were made: The fans were fantastic, the volunteers were great and they love the facility, especially with the hotel attached so they didn’t have to go outside or travel back and forth to a hotel between games. Four of seven curlers who were asked about Brandon as a host said, unprovoked, that they would like to see the city land either a Brier or a Scotties Tournament of Hearts in the near future as well. When asked directly, the others agreed with their peers. There were also numerous thank you tweets by players and teams after the event and similar posts on team websites as well.

Braeden Moskowy, who is Carruthers’ third, was asked if there was anything Brandon could improve on from a players’ perspective.
"Honestly no," he said. "I think this would be a phenomenal place to have a Brier and, I really don’t know if it’s in their plans, but I really hope to see a Brier here as soon as possible.
"It’s a great venue, the ice is perfect and it’s so great having the hotel and restaurants attached as a player. Especially in events like this and a Brier, you don’t have a lot of down time in between games. To zip back to your hotel quick in five minutes and eat right there it’s awesome.

"Maybe I’m a little biased, but Brandon has been awesome to us. The sooner we can get back here, the better it will be, that’s for damn sure."
Moskowy’s bias is understandable. Even though nobody on his team is from Westman, the foursome has won both events in which it has played at Westman Place — the 2015 provincial men’s championship being the other — and sports a 14-3 record overall here.

It hasn’t been much of a secret since it was announced that the Canada Cup was coming to Brandon that this would be an event to prove what Brandon could do in hopes of getting back on Curling Canada’s Season of Champions map. The community hosted an Olympic curling trials in 1997, the world championships in 1995, the Tournament of Hearts in 1993 and 2002, but it’s a Brier, which the Wheat City last hosted in 1982, that is the most-coveted event.
Shields couldn’t have been happier with the way things went with the Canada Cup and hopes Brandon sent a message to Curling Canada that it’s ready for bigger events like the Brier.

"It’s gone better than we could have dreamed of," he said. "The community support has been great. We had some weather issues at the beginning and at the end of this one, but we knew we’d get the support. Setting the (overall attendance) record and single-draw record was the icing on the cake really.

"I don’t think we could have drawn this up any better," Shields said. The ball is out of our court a little bit at this point and we’ll have to see where Curling Canada wants to go, but I feel we’ve put our best foot forward in showing them what we can do and what Brandon and Westman has to offer."

Shields and the committees will debrief with the national curling body before the two sides decide if and when another event is coming here, but Shields was right about making an impression on Curling Canada.
Al Cameron, the organization’s director of communications and media relations, was impressed with the way the Canada Cup was run.

However, there is more than filling stands and making players happy to hosting a Brier or Scotties. Since a Brier can bring $12-15 million to the host community, Curling Canada wants a financial commitment from the city.
The Canada Cup did put Brandon back on Curling Canada’s radar though.

"Clearly the city responded and it went beyond fan support," Cameron said. "A great corporate support from the Brandon community and Brandon First did a real great job of leadership and bringing everybody together."
"There’s a lot of communities out there who see the value in hosting a Curling Canada Season of Champions event," he continued. "It’s a competitive environment out there, but Brandon certainly took significant steps by hosting such a first-class event this week."

So give yourself a pat on the back for doing a fantastic job with the Canada Cup. Let’s hope we won’t be resting on our laurels for too long though and can get back to work to host another big curling event in a few years’ time.
Republished from the Brandon Sun print edition December 6, 2016

Last edited by CURLER1 on 12-06-16 at 11:00PM

12-06-16 11:02PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Thanks Chris - that article pretty much defines Brandon as a great city.

Just wanted to add - and I'm sure local organizers would agree but the thing that makes Brandon great? Well, here's a mini-list:

Souris, Neepawa, Rivers, Minnedosa, Douglas, Killarney, Sandy Lake, Douglas, Hamiota, Virden, Alexander, Carberry, Shilo, I think you get the idea!!!

The great towns and villages around the Wheat City - that's what makes Brandon great!!!

Ok ML, that is one of the second times you have called me Chris. Not my name. I am "Brenda" just a long time curler and fan of curling. Perhaps I will figure out how to change my name on here.

Glad you liked the story though.

**can't figure out how to change user name.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 12-07-16 at 08:01AM

12-07-16 09:41AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Ok ML, I am "Brenda" just a long time curler and fan of curling. Perhaps I will figure out how to change my name on here.
Thanks Brenda aka Curler1. Volunteers in Brandon are highly skilled. #OhYeah.