M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-07-15 12:36PM
melvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for melvin Click here to Send melvin a Private Message Find more posts by melvin Add melvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

GNCC Club Championship

Quite a ride is in store this weekend for the GNCC Club Championship, with both the Men's and Women's side competing out of the same 3 sheet facility at Ardsley. The winner takes home not just the GNCC trophy, but also a no-expense paid trip to Bismark, ND in March for Club Nationals.

18 men's teams and 3 women's teams are on the very packed schedule with play beginning 8am Wednesday. For the men, a modified triple knockout is in effect with potential tiebreakers on Monday. For the Women, it'll be a double round-robin with double knockout provision, with play beginning on Friday and tiebreakers scheduled for Monday.

It is a mess of a situation, but all things considered, this is probably the best configuration we could have hoped for. Could this be the end of Men's and Women's being scheduled for the same weekend at the same club?

Potomac yields the most total participants with 5 teams (3 men, 2 women), while home club Ardsley produced the most mens teams with 4 participating. Plenty of new and old faces rounding out both events.

For those interested, here are the teams.

Men's
Charles Barnes, Scott Fernandes, Leroy Woodman, Blake Logan: South Shore
Steve Buffington, Leonard Jarabeck, Robert Suhr, Sean Mizerski: Pittsburgh
Caleb Clawson, Eli Clawson, Eric Clawson, Hunter Clawson: Potomac
Brian Damon, Alexander Tynell , Joe Cammarano, Kenneth Thomson: Cape Cod
Brian Dauernheim, Nicholas Datlowe, Adam Kapp, Vincent Serritella: Potomac
Keith Dropkin, Peter Bialek, Todd Hebert, Daniel Naylor: Broomstones
Matthew Gallegos, Michael Spensieri, Derek Kayser, Joe Panella: Ardsley
Michael Greene, John Paccione, Keith Wisbauer, Thomas Lithgow: Long Island
Jeff Hannon, Dave Bykowski, Donn Malner, Kyle Stover: Nutmeg
Dan Machold, Dion Warr, David Longbrake, David Spengler: Schenectady
Gert Messing, Dan Tufaro, Gregory Poole-Dayan, Samuel Williams: Ardsley
Ivo Petrov, John Dejohn, Don Arsenault, Frederick Debberley: Plainfield
Mark Robinson, Nicholas Visnich, Alexander Visnich, Paul Fey: Pittsburgh
Edward Scimia, Jack Miller, Lawerence Bocchiere, Eric Sebastian, Andrew Hancock: Nutmeg
Melvin Shaw, Stephen Enochson, Jimmy Fallon, Joe Rockenbach: Potomac
Michael Stefanik, Charles Brown, Scott Brennan, Jack Stopera: Schenectady
Bill Stopera, Martin Sather, George Austin, Peter Austin: Ardsley
Yushi Yang, Ken Hsu, Jamey Gelardi, John Salmon: Ardsley

Women's
Elizabeth Demers, Courtney Shaw, Stephanie Erstad, Laura Yee: Potomac
Ann Drummie, Laura Heuer, Stacy Slette, Janice Barber: Potomac
Krista Longnecker, Matina Heisler, Marinna Martini, Wendy Scholes: Cape Cod

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-07-15 04:19PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm both looking forward to it and dreading having to play 8 AM Wednesday

Lots of good teams for this event.

12-07-15 06:05PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

What a rat race, sheesh! You all enjoy that.

I might be cheering for a couple of teams here and there....

12-07-15 08:56PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I imagine deserving teams such as Damon (Cape Cod?), Machold, Messing, Shaw and IVO will be seeded high, but I see a changing of the guard arriving. OK, I'm cheating. I've seen the seeding.

Clawson/Clawson/Clawson and Clawson win this. They've been competitive before and should be rapidly improving...at least 3/4 of them should be improving. Stopera pushes them in the Finals. I hear Sax Sather is skipping that team.

As usual, I'll be cheering for Ivo; mostly because his name is easy to chant. Go ahead. Try it. IVO IVO IVO IVO

I'm glad Melvin started a thread. Heck, this site has been so slow lately I'm glad if anyone starts a thread. But in this case, I'm glad it was Melvin. Last year he breezed through the early rounds and then went THUMP THUMP to lose out. (the caps were to express the quality of the thumps) Must have been a tough drive home. Good to see he's jacked up for another run. A lesser man would have committed to a murder/suicide pact with his team (i.e. I promise to commit suicide right after I slowly strangle these three incompetent boobs) But not Melvin. Once more into the breech. Go get 'em, Melvin.

I have a question: How is Steph Erstad in GNCC Clubs? Isn't she still out of Madison?

Another question: How is Keith Dropkin still alive? Isn't he like 90? Weren't they swinging corn at his last Nationals appearance? I think Bud Summerville won it that year. OK, just kidding. Keith is a great guy. Everybody is SO thrilled to see Keith. Mostly because the draw says they are playing Dropkin and they fear it's Shelly or Kory or Stephen. REALLY glad to see Keith and not one of the other Dropkins. Plus, he's a great guy.

My longshot special today is my friend Jeffy The Snark Hannon. He won't outshoot anybody, but he'll outthink everybody.

Demers wins the Women's.

So there you have it. I'm betting the Clawson/Demers Daily Double. I'm betting the Stopera/Clawson exacta box. I'm boxing some bombs for the trifecta with Clawson/Stopera/Hannon/Dropkin. I'm cheering for IVO and hoping Shaw doesn't need a quick Google search for Seppuku.

Ben Tucker

12-07-15 10:38PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Steph Erstad (along with husband Joel) moved to Baltimore last summer. She curls out of Potomac now.

12-07-15 11:47PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

SPMfromPPC forgot the other questions like why is Damon suddenly out of Cape Cod and how can Dropkin The Ancient still be alive throwing granite rocks that are roughly his age and who is going to win.

SPM can't make a pick with so many friends in the field, so we'll give him Stefanik. Good pick. Solid team.

Ben Tucker (I imagine that Keith is still alive because Shelly babies him)

12-08-15 07:50AM
kdropkin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kdropkin Click here to Send kdropkin a Private Message Find more posts by kdropkin Add kdropkin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kdropkin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone recall who was the only team to beat Summerville/Nichols at nationals that year (1981) in Fairbanks?

12-08-15 09:06AM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

I will be rooting against Melvin because he hurt my feelings when he called me old.

Yes, somehow I got convinced to play. Good thing is that the games will be well spaced so I can consume mass quantities of Advil between games. All props to the draw masters. This had to be really tough to figure. There are possibilities of a complete day off in the draw but 21 teams on three sheets is nuts when only 4 draws a day are possible. Very long days for the officials and the ice crew. I hear that Sather will be doing the ice, I don't think that will last very long.

A couple of the teams had a warm up this weekend past at the men's spiel in Norfolk. I think the brewery tour might have influenced their performance.

Looking forward to it, been a long time since I played 10 ends. As long as I don't do the 13 end thing again it should all be good.

JHcurl
might need a second suitcase for pain killers

12-08-15 09:08AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

No. Nobody recalls who beat Summerville/Nichols in 1981. Why? Because most of the players are now dead. The younger Alaskans who may have been in attendance were probably too drunk and didn't recall it even the following morning.

I hadn't even thrown my first curling shot yet in 1981. Who was president? Kennedy? Eisenhower?

If I get down close to the Grafton Sunset Retirement Home today, I'll ask who beat Bud in '81 on the way to Bud's World silver.

Ben Tucker (Hannon and Dropkin...beware of the old guys)

12-08-15 11:07AM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Half the players listed weren't alive in 1981, let alone curling then. Which is higher, the number of players alive in 1981 or the number of curlers that started before 2002?

12-08-15 12:18PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

OUCH! Take that, Dropkin The Ancient! I'd hate to this thread degrade to picking on Keith.

That's a lie. I'd love to see us fill 3 pages teasing Keith. Who is older; Hannon Dropkin or Alaskan statehood?

Ben Tucker
Not as mean as VAcurler

12-08-15 12:22PM
melvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for melvin Click here to Send melvin a Private Message Find more posts by melvin Add melvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
I will be rooting against Melvin because he hurt my feelings when he called me old.

Yes, somehow I got convinced to play. Good thing is that the games will be well spaced so I can consume mass quantities of Advil between games.

JHcurl
might need a second suitcase for pain killers

I'd like you to read that first sentence, then those other sentences I left in, then re-read the first sentence, and see if you still think I'm wildly off-base.

Don't hate because you envy my lush, luxurious beard.

-m

12-08-15 12:29PM
WarrMachine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WarrMachine Click here to Send WarrMachine a Private Message Find more posts by WarrMachine Add WarrMachine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WarrMachine
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ardsley will be webstreaming the event at https://youtube.com/c/ardsleycurling

Melvin - You may have the beard but Hannon's working on a sweet grey moustache, at least at the Calder last weekend

Speaking of old guys let's not forget the front-ender players Jack Stopera and George Austin. That's a lot of collective experience

12-08-15 01:03PM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck

I have a question: How is Steph Erstad in GNCC Clubs? Isn't she still out of Madison?

Tuck, the DC area just sucks people in. All three of my teammates played at different clubs 2 seasons ago! Laura was in Seattle, Steph in Wisconsin, and Elizabeth in Illinois. Lucky for me, they all ended up at Potomac.

12-08-15 03:16PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm calling for a Potomac Sweep, with Shaw and the Clawson Clan contesting the finals, Shaw winning out.

On the women's side, it will be the Demers rink over the Drummie rink.

As a side teaser, I'm taking the UNDER on peculiar rules weirdnesses causing 5+ page thread discussions on CZ as a result of a game which ended up ultimately being meaningless...Vegas set the line at 0.9 after last year's Klock Kerfuffle...and I'm *guaranteeing* no one makes a similar mistake this year...

12-08-15 04:14PM
VAcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for VAcurler Click here to Send VAcurler a Private Message Find more posts by VAcurler Add VAcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
VAcurler
Hitting Paint

Speaking of bets, can we get lines here? I'll agree with Alan's side bet - no clock issues this year.

I like the Potomac team on the women's side. And to prove that I'm not a complete homer I'll take the Stopera rink playing at home.

Jason

12-08-15 04:36PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Here is a side bet. Over/under on wins by the two old skips. Line is 6. Me and Dropkin the Ancient (tm Tuck).

As far as lines, hopefully Tuck can come up with something. If he puts me at less than 50-1 he is an idiot.

JH
buying a case of beer tomorrow so you know I am serious

12-08-15 09:57PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by kdropkin
Does anyone recall who was the only team to beat Summerville/Nichols at nationals that year (1981) in Fairbanks?

Tuck's obviously not gonna get off his ass and answer this, so I will.

According to Tim Wright's compendium, U.S. Men's Curling Championships : The First Thirty Years, eventual champions Team Wisconsin lost two games at the 1981 nationals: one to Bob Devine's Team Massachusetts (5-7) and one to Mark Haluptzok's Team Minnesota (4-7).

Mass. finished tied for 7th with Team Connecticut, whose vice was longtime Norfolk curler George Dyer. Also in attendance: gents named Persinger, Birklid, Violette, Fenson, and Beighton.

mf

12-08-15 10:48PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

George Dyer went to Nationals quite a few times. Back in the day, that was the team to beat from the GNCC. He is still missed by us old timers. Great guy.

One of the sad losses from the Norfolk fire was the plaque that had all the national teams attending from the GNCC.

One of the reasons that I always like to go to Norfolk for men's is the history. John Calder played in the Olys in Lake Placid. It is an honor to play for the Calder Cup each year and I am proud to say I have won it.

Back to the topic. Tuck won't set odds, he has too many friends in the field. He is afraid. He also doesn't realize that I might be the only one that is his friend. Ivo hates him.

JH
late night sarcasm hence why they call me Snark

12-09-15 09:44AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein

Tuck's obviously not gonna get off his ass and answer this, so I will.

mf

Posting at CZ is indicative of a person with time on his hands and very little else to get worked up about. This is therefore the best CZ comment ever.

12-09-15 10:15AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Dropkin the Ancient is throwing lead and skipping. That could change the odds.

12-09-15 10:19AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

So is the GNCC playing 8 end games in this championship? I know MOPAC does for time considerations. I would imagine with so many teams that is the case here.

Looks like WarrMachine's premonition about todays 8:00 was correct.

12-09-15 10:21AM
courtneyshaw is offline Click Here to See the Profile for courtneyshaw Click here to Send courtneyshaw a Private Message Find more posts by courtneyshaw Add courtneyshaw to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

Nope. Still doing 10 end games.

12-09-15 10:29AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by courtneyshaw
Nope. Still doing 10 end games.

CZ had the scoring lines at 8 ends. Nice job by the way updating the scores here.

12-09-15 10:34AM
courtneyshaw
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar

CZ had the scoring lines at 8 ends. Nice job by the way updating the scores here.

That must be a glitch in the matrix because I had the streaming on and two games went to the 9th (and were not tied).