Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 21 -- Thu, Apr 25 -- 7:00am ET
CAN (Flemming) 11  Final
DEN (Qvist) (6)
PHI (Ochoco) Final
FIN (Kirjonen) 11  (8)
NOR (Davanger) 10  Final
CRO (Skendrovic) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2017 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 12 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-17 04:24PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Well isn't that something great to hang on your mantle! 1-15 at next years Brier, but you can beat a senior who likely has had 2 knee replacements, That's something to be real proud of

just think people need to be more respectful of these teams. there's no reason to say things like they dont deserve to be there or questioning how they got there.

no reason to disrespect them and no reason to be a smart ass

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-17 04:59PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Personally this is my feeling. I can be very critical of professional athletes making $5,000,000 per year and give minimal effort or poor execution. ( hockey, baseball, football etc). However, most of these curlers likely make/ have made substantial sacrifices in terms of family, careers, financial to persue their curling dreams and drive to be their best. We watch and enjoy all the televised curling provided by these curlers at no cost or inconvenience to us. Hence, I find that being critical of these curlers is not deserved or warranted.

02-22-17 07:18PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:

Agree and coming after Vic and Glen have been drooling all game about how Homan has rounded out her game this year, She is still a one trick pony, Lives and dies by the take out game,

Perhaps she is just a one trick pony.... but what a trick and
what a pony!!!

After 10 ends somebody 'scored' her at 75%. If that was correct, it was the best 75% I have ever seen.

02-22-17 07:28PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

decade

Who is Glen?

02-22-17 07:38PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Personally this is my feeling. I can be very critical of professional athletes making $5,000,000 per year and give minimal effort or poor execution. ( hockey, baseball, football etc). However, most of these curlers likely make/ have made substantial sacrifices in terms of family, careers, financial to persue their curling dreams and drive to be their best. We watch and enjoy all the televised curling provided by these curlers at no cost or inconvenience to us. Hence, I find that being critical of these curlers is not deserved or warranted.

Amen! And curlers are also the most approachable athletes in sports. That carries a ton of weight with me...

02-22-17 08:21PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Well isn't that something great to hang on your mantle! 1-15 at next years Brier, but you can beat a senior who likely has had 2 knee replacements, That's something to be real proud of

Id be way prouder finishing 1-15 or even 0-16 than sitting here making posts critical of those playing-mostly on their own dime-while sitting on my fat butt scarfing Pinty's and guzzling beer.

02-22-17 08:24PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

yes! this. i agree with everything here.

im so tired of people coming on here and saying canada doesnt do well at worlds. canada always does well at worlds. so we dont win all the time, so what. how about we give some credit to the rest of the world for getting better. and homan isnt a lock for gold anyway. she has had 3 trips to worlds (1 junior, 2 women) and didnt win the gold in any of those trips. gold is not the only color that matters, people need to get that idea out of their head.
i dont want to go back to a time when there were only 1 or 2 teams canada had to worry about that could beat them, i like the challenge that canada now faces.its good when more than 1 nation has a chance to win the title. i've said it before, do we want curling to be like womens hockey in its severe lack of depth.

agree about nationals as well. these teams are chasing their dream and for all the bitching about how bad they are i can almost guarantee they'd whip anyone sitting here.

Nobody said Homan was a lock at the world's. Nobody said they want to go backwards in time when Canada had only one or two other countries to worry about.

Many fans (including me) see eight year's go by and no gold medal for our woman's teams and are rightly not happy with this result. Switzerland has won four of the past five World's and nobody is saying they have only one or two teams to worry about. These are the results we want for our teams.

And yes, in Canada when it comes to hockey and curling international gold is the only colour that matters. The majority of fans "expect" gold and are not happy with any other colour. Nothing wrong with that. This is what we are accustomed to and the men provide us gold on a semi-regular basis...we crave the same results for our female teams.

As for the level of curling we have seen for the past two year's at the Scotties....it has very much fallen off from the better games we used to see in year's past. Could just be an odd blip or could be a canary in the coal mine. When watching the Slams that include women's teams from Switzerland/Scotland/Sweden/etc I can safely say I see way more games decided by good shot loses to great shot then what I see at this year's Scotties which is bad half shot wins over atrocious miss.

02-22-17 10:34PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Chalk up another poor strategy and lose a game when you are up by 5!!?!?!??!? The latest victim is Alberta. There's reasons why I like The Brier better then The Scotties. Yikes!

02-22-17 11:00PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Three

Nobody said Homan was a lock at the world's. Nobody said they want to go backwards in time when Canada had only one or two other countries to worry about.

Many fans (including me) see eight year's go by and no gold medal for our woman's teams and are rightly not happy with this result. Switzerland has won four of the past five World's and nobody is saying they have only one or two teams to worry about. These are the results we want for our teams.

And yes, in Canada when it comes to hockey and curling international gold is the only colour that matters. The majority of fans "expect" gold and are not happy with any other colour. Nothing wrong with that. This is what we are accustomed to and the men provide us gold on a semi-regular basis...we crave the same results for our female teams.

As for the level of curling we have seen for the past two year's at the Scotties....it has very much fallen off from the better games we used to see in year's past. Could just be an odd blip or could be a canary in the coal mine. When watching the Slams that include women's teams from Switzerland/Scotland/Sweden/etc I can safely say I see way more games decided by good shot loses to great shot then what I see at this year's Scotties which is bad half shot wins over atrocious miss.

Sometimes it does seem like people do want that though. The Canadian women will end the drought eventually , just like they did at the junior level, Canadians just have to b patient.

I'm not a believe in the gold is the only color that matters way of thinking . I'm proud of whatever they do overseas because the field has gotten so good. If the win gold, great but I they don I'm not any less proud. Canadian teams always rep the country well . Canada will always be a favorite and have a chance to win but I don't see think we well again be the dominant force the men still are. The womens field is just way to deep.

As for quality, I agree it hasnt been great and so fine ,comment on that. But that's doesn't give people a right to question why teams are there or to say or imply that they shouldn't be there. For me ...and maybe I am Alon but a big part of the appeal with the women's game is the unpredictability and drama . you don't get that with the men.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-22-17 at 11:15PM

02-22-17 11:31PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

Don't know the last time SK finished last at the scotties.

If nothing else I hope Amber Holland is sitting on the bench wondering who she could recruit to build a team and save women's curling in Saskatchewan.

Has the increase in the number of Slams spoiled us viewers with higher quality curling that the scotties looks like amateur hour or have the past 2 scotties just been sad exemptions?

A good performance from Quebec thus far that I don't think anybody predicted. Can they keep it together against a couple of top teams and hold on to a playoff spot?

02-23-17 03:34AM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

Some of the shot making has definitely disappointed...is this because last year teams were curling at high percentages because of the steering brushes thus now a big let down....another thing to me is notable some of the sheets seem to be curling 5 to 6 feet...ice must be dished hog in...do they really need THAT much curl...just saying

02-23-17 07:27AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

A bit surprised at AB losing to NS. I guess old age and treachery does trump youth and exuberance.

Now I agree the unpredictability of women's curling makes it exciting...but these teams that got lucky at their Provincials aren't so lucky at the Scotties.

02-23-17 09:55AM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Watching ON vs Que this morning. I appreciate that we are able to have televised curling, but the verbal diarrhea of Bryan and Cathy has become unbearable. I realize broadcasters don't want "dead" air, but I wouldn't mind it.

Last edited by BMalc on 02-23-17 at 10:13AM

02-23-17 10:29AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I like hearing the curlers discuss their shots and strategy, but not the announcers yakking non-stop. If a curler is talking, don't talk over them!

02-23-17 11:03AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Rachel Homan is a machine. She makes shots consistently that no other skip in Niagara can. I don't see how she doesn't sweep this field, very impressive performance so far.

Quebec just missed a double to give up another point, but she forces them to try to meet her standard or get beat by a steady stream of forces for 1.

02-23-17 11:19AM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
Rachel Homan is a machine. She makes shots consistently that no other skip in Niagara can. I don't see how she doesn't sweep this field, very impressive performance so far.

Quebec just missed a double to give up another point, but she forces them to try to meet her standard or get beat by a steady stream of forces for 1.

Careful! people will accuse you of gushing over Rachel.

02-23-17 11:55AM
scorer79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scorer79 Click here to Send scorer79 a Private Message Find more posts by scorer79 Add scorer79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scorer79
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Sasquatch
Don't know the last time SK finished last at the scotties.

If nothing else I hope Amber Holland is sitting on the bench wondering who she could recruit to build a team and save women's curling in Saskatchewan.

Do you mean literally or figuratively? I say that because Amber Holland is their 5th.

02-23-17 11:59AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I think we see the fitness factor coming into play now. 11 games (more for NT) is grueling for any athlete. ANY athlete. Those who are not seriously in aggressive and methodical gym mode, year round, will be fading. Mental endurance is also critical here. And yes, the age factor for some teams. Fitness and endurance is possible during middle age - but those who do not address it scientifically and assertively will be fading now. Youth does not guarantee fitness either and even the young fillies get fatigued unless they are used to the distance. Next year - fewer games.

02-23-17 12:09PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just heard some profanity slip as BC conceded, seeing the rocks leaving rings on the ice.

02-23-17 12:21PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by scorer79
Do you mean literally or figuratively? I say that because Amber Holland is their 5th.
Yes, and Amber has spent years in development and with the sports governing body of SK. So, is it time to bring in from out of prov? A.Howard has stayed and is now with SkCurl. I too wonder what the new strategy in SK will be. It is the most "grass-roots" of the provinces, MB next and thereafter - well, clubs dotted here and there - 1 or max 2 per region. SK has a split playoff structure. Are SK youth leaving the sport? It is a surprising conundrum. I like J.Campbell and Silvernagle - but did expect a few more wins by Penny's crew. Head scratching.

02-23-17 12:36PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I read in the daily newsletter that the dehumidifier broke down yesterday leaving the ice rather tricky...would they not have a back up?

Watching some of the curling, Curling Canada should be horrified. Looks like those who play in the Slams and cash circuit do ok leaving the rest of the teams in their wake.

But to see some bad curling and wins due to misses is not what you expect at a National Championship. Not sure where the funding is going but Curling Canada may want to review the state of women's curling and offer some help to those provinces who are struggling.

Also interesting in the newsletter, Amy Nixon talking about curl-work-life balance...not sure we will see her again after the Olympic grind is over.

02-23-17 01:57PM
Stumpy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stumpy Click here to Send Stumpy a Private Message Find more posts by Stumpy Add Stumpy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stumpy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Looks like Rachel will be finishing munching on fawns this a.m. - although Quebec is more like a super-fawn; might still even catch a tie-breaker. The fitness factor kicking in now as Raytch is still laser-focused while opposing skips are starting to wilt under duress and warm temps.

Raytch probably gets the real story of the 2017 event - Michelle Englot in tonite's 1st place finale - Englot doesn't have to toss a rock to still be considered the biggest story at this year's event. Simply put - Englot misses a few too many shots and makes too many half-shots to stand up to the shot-pelting Homan will subject them to. Only way Englot takes the duke is if Rachel has a really off game - I'm talking 60-65% and although its minutely possible; probably not close to probable.

I've never seen Raytch so laser-focused where the focus actually is being converted to positive results. She's in a zone. I actually think Englot has the best chance of breaking her down but Michelle's chances are very low. A bit better than JJ - whose scattered defense would leave her prown to a wipeout by RH. Sweeting would fare no better - she's now prone to mid-game collapses and fogging out!

Carey or McCarville should emerge from the 3-4 back door and the winner should have adequate momentum to take down Englot in the semi-final.

That said, what Englot did this week at age 53/54 (older than Sherry Anderson, older than Sherri Middaugh, almost as old as Coco Jones) IS SIMPLY INCREDIBLE! WHAT A COMPETITOR!!!

Remember when you said Penny Barker was 11-1 to win the tournament and Englot was 15-1?

02-23-17 03:07PM
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I read in the daily newsletter that the dehumidifier broke down yesterday leaving the ice rather tricky...would they not have a back up?

Watching some of the curling, Curling Canada should be horrified. Looks like those who play in the Slams and cash circuit do ok leaving the rest of the teams in their wake.

But to see some bad curling and wins due to misses is not what you expect at a National Championship. Not sure where the funding is going but Curling Canada may want to review the state of women's curling and offer some help to those provinces who are struggling.

Also interesting in the newsletter, Amy Nixon talking about curl-work-life balance...not sure we will see her again after the Olympic grind is over.

As far as the breakdown goes, the building has only been open a little over 2 1/2 yr. It's hard to foresee something like this. The problem I see is they had it fixed last night. If it ran all night, why is the frost so bad today. With ac and dehumid going, I would think the humidity would come down. Having a scrape in 5th end break is unprecedented.
As far as the calibre goes, I agree totally. The level of play and a lot of the strategy are substandard for a National Championship.
Before the event started, I felt sorry for the organizing committee as the field looked very weak.

02-23-17 03:40PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Personally this is my feeling. I can be very critical of professional athletes making $5,000,000 per year and give minimal effort or poor execution. ( hockey, baseball, football etc). However, most of these curlers likely make/ have made substantial sacrifices in terms of family, careers, financial to persue their curling dreams and drive to be their best. We watch and enjoy all the televised curling provided by these curlers at no cost or inconvenience to us. Hence, I find that being critical of these cur
lers is not deserved or warranted.

so true, these teams dont have a lot of money so the only way they can improve is to get to these events and improve a little at a time, it may not always look pretty but they learn by playing the homans of the world

02-23-17 04:08PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

One major problem -- it was 20 degrees (by my admittedly unscientific but usually reliable car readout) when I pulled into the parking lot at 2pm. Even for Southern Ontario, that's pretty much unheard of in February...