CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-14 05:39PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Morris
Macdonald
Mead
Neufeld
Nichols
Fry
Middaugh
Maybe Kennedy

Simmons sure isn't top 3. But may be in the top 10.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-14 05:50PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

forgot morris and fry

okay so 5. That's not exactly the "many" that the other poster claimed were better than pat.

When you're considering that arguably the best curler in the world (Koe) is playing with the 6th best 3rd in Canada, that is a huge number.

You thinking Simmons is better than Kennedy is laughable. I'd doubt anyone with any knowledge on curling would agree with you.

03-22-14 06:14PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Martin & Howard

Glenn has made it crystal clear that he is gonna carry on. He loves playing, even loves the training it would seem. My guess is that Middaugh and Savill will continue on a year by year basis. Who would play second if that's the case? Will he hook up with his son? If they don't do it now I'm guessing that for their own reasons they think it wouldn't work. Which one can understand. The dynamics of family don't necessarily translate to elite level sports.

If it isn't Scott.....I dunno. One thing is for sure whoever jumps ship to land on the good ship Howard will be forgiven by his teammates. How could you not?

If Balsdon or Bice want to play in the Brier again any time soon.....

Team Keane just splintered. Even if Morris comes to Ontario I can't see Johnny Mo playing second. Brent wouldn't be easy to replace in any case but with Glenn over fifty..... Suffice to say it will be interesting.

And what the heck will Martin do? Nedohin is pulling back from the game so he needs three players. There have been rumblings that he will retire. I can see that. I don't want to see it mind you. At least one more year would be nice so that we can give him the send off he deserves. But Kevin hates losing as much as he loves winning. A lot of the top guys are like that.

Glenn very much isn't. He just loves to compete. I can see him carry on even if his fortunes slide to the point where he's just a really dangerous 'spoiler'. Kinda like Team Harris when they won the Trials. He's a guy who loves to curl. Winning is for him a by-product of doing all the right things. The first of those things, enjoying the game.

With Kevin on the other hand there is no chance of that. He has already said so himself. For him, my reading at least, is that winning is the thing and his enjoyment comes from the satisfaction of having all the hard work turn into being the best.

He is younger than Glenn by four years so he could keep going. Barring injury. But who the heck could he get that would allow him to compete against the likes of Jacobs, Koe and McEwen?

Let's go at this another way. If he had his pick of the at least somewhat possible scenarios/teams, who would he choose?

The most obvious move would be Kevin becoming the skip of Team Canada. It has a great deal to recommend it. The fans would love it. He could announce its his last Brier and we could celebrate it with him. Unless of course he won the darn thing, as he might say, at which point we could all agree that the one that he didn't win would be his last....lol.....

Other than that. Jaimie King, Blake McDonald and Scott Pfeiffer play out of the Saville centre so Kevin probably has access to their phone numbers...:-)

Maybe Team Botcher might want a chance to be tutored by the Bear. Two time world jr champ Charley Thomas? Matt Blandford who played Kevin in the A Final of the provincials? The Apelman's? Yeesh, what a province that is to get out of. The point is if he wants to he can keep playing. Will he? We'll find out soon. But I'm guessing not before the Player's Championship:-)

Last edited by JB42 on 03-22-14 at 06:21PM

03-22-14 06:27PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Kevin & Team Canada

Can you imagine Kevin v Kevin in the Brier. Team Canada v Team Alberta. You'd think the TV ratings would go through the roof even for a RR game. For a final? Pure media gold:-)

03-22-14 06:47PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

If I'm Kevin Martin i join Team Bottcher.

1. His son plays on the team. What a better way to end one of the best curling careers of our generation than by playing with his son.
2. Brendan Bottcher is a legit up and comer for the future of men's curling in Canada. The wealth of experience he would gain playing a season or two with Kevin would be unmeasurable.
3. One or two years with Kevin at the helm would likely give them enough points to make a serious run at an Olympic berth, or at worst definitely enough to make the pre-trials.

Plus the fact that Team Bottcher appears to be a 3 man team right now, rotating thirds, its not like a move like this would set the team back.

And what does Kevin have to lose? He would be a gargantuan underdog vs Team Koe in the Alberta finals, but something tells me Kevin would relish this situation.

03-22-14 07:09PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

When you're considering that arguably the best curler in the world (Koe) is playing with the 6th best 3rd in Canada, that is a huge number.

You thinking Simmons is better than Kennedy is laughable. I'd doubt anyone with any knowledge on curling would agree with you.

I really don't care if people agree with me or not. Pat simmons isn't as low as 6th either, I don't believe . Probably 4th because if I really think about it among active 3rds out there right now I could only rank 3 ahead of him in the country. remember we are talking about active thirds

really don't think ill be to hurt if not one of the 2% of the curling fans in the world on this board disagree with me

anyway we'll see how it turns out

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-22-14 07:16PM
Unregistered

Really enough speculation on Koe, what about all the other teams out there? Any news about other provinces? Although it's not really a province by province thing anymore is it! Sad to see this actually, the Brier has always been a representation of all of Canada. Now with all of this nonsense happening and relegation we really are just Canada without the borders of the provinces are we not?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.169.60.4

03-22-14 07:29PM
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

I really don't care if people agree with me or not. Pat simmons isn't as low as 6th either, I don't believe . Probably 4th because if I really think about it among active 3rds out there right now I could only rank 3 ahead of him in the country. remember we are talking about active thirds

really don't think ill be to hurt if not one of the 2% of the curling fans in the world on this board disagree with me

anyway we'll see how it turns out

It's just surprising to me that you would think that Koe would disband a team that has a free ride to the Brier for an inferior team.

You don't have to care, you just need to realize you are making a stupid statement.

By the way, when Pat Simmons was in the TSN skins game draft he was picked dead last. That might show a bit into how his peers view him.

No disrespect to Pat. He was extraordinary at this years Brier. But he just isn't quite on that top tier level.

03-22-14 07:31PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb

Pat gets to be the best third in Canada based on the Koe team winning the Briar... Thisis a team sport and you guys thatdont recognize this arent the brightest lights in the chandelier.... And to help the real arrogant posters on here that i could probably beat throwing left handed .. Koe is the best skip , Carter is the best second , and Nolan is the best lead.....

And they are very entertaining to watch and im happy for all four when they win

I feel the same about martin, howard, stoughton too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-22-14 08:10PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by MBTuck

It's just surprising to me that you would think that Koe would disband a team that has a free ride to the Brier for an inferior team.

You don't have to care, you just need to realize you are making a stupid statement.

By the way, when Pat Simmons was in the TSN skins game draft he was picked dead last. That might show a bit into how his peers view him.

No disrespect to Pat. He was extraordinary at this years Brier. But he just isn't quite on that top tier level.

I never said he was getting an inferior team. I think his new team will be great. Im saying that mark kennedy is a strong second but I think pat will turn out to be a stronger third. Overall I think this team is very close to the one he left

im someone who can come on here and admit I was wrong so if I am then i'll come on here and say it

misty1

03-22-14 08:12PM
Unregistered

im interested most in hearing who virtue picks up..

also to see if epping does hook up with the old kean line up or goes for someone else

also wondering who ulsrud will pick up. I have my theories but I could be wrong

03-22-14 08:52PM
CG

Nobody is saying Koe's team out of the gates will be better than his current team, not even Koe Im sure. But sometimes teams run there course, and after 8 years its time for a change and a spark in the lineup and Im sure that was the case here. All Players involved are top players end of story.

BTW, this story is news now, but wait until Howard/Cotter/Morris/Stoughton/Mcewen all have new lineups. Wait until Simmons/Rycroft/Thieseen announce as there skip, and Kevin Martin will hang them up are the rumours I've heard. Kennedy/Hebert would have known this in advance to teaming up with Koe.

This is just the first move of many this time of year, and curling's trade deadline is now!! Big and exciting moves to come.

CG

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.75.128.103

03-22-14 09:03PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Well if Hebert and Kennedy knew Kevin was retiring they knew it before he did.

His talk all year has been how it would be nice to play another year. While recognizing that they would want to hook up with someone for another run at the Olympics. So one year would be all he could get out of them.

I'm still pulling for Kevin to be named skip of Team Canada. It just makes so much sense.

03-22-14 09:54PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by CG
Nobody is saying Koe's team out of the gates will be better than his current team, not even Koe Im sure. But sometimes teams run there course, and after 8 years its time for a change and a spark in the lineup and Im sure that was the case here. All Players involved are top players end of story.

BTW, this story is news now, but wait until Howard/Cotter/Morris/Stoughton/Mcewen all have new lineups. Wait until Simmons/Rycroft/Thieseen announce as there skip, and Kevin Martin will hang them up are the rumours I've heard. Kennedy/Hebert would have known this in advance to teaming up with Koe.

This is just the first move of many this time of year, and curling's trade deadline is now!! Big and exciting moves to come.

CG

im very excited to learn of all the new lineups

its fun to speculate mostly because we get to see so close or far off we were

03-22-14 09:58PM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Minor correction: Paul Moffatt was lead for the 2004-2006 Morris rink; I believed he returned to Ontario after the 2005-2006 curling season. Ben Hebert played lead for Pat Simmons in Regina before moving to Edmonton to join Kevin Martin in 2006-2007.

quote:
Any news about other provinces? Although it's not really a province by province thing anymore is it! Sad to see this actually, the Brier has always been a representation of all of Canada. Now with all of this nonsense happening and relegation we really are just Canada without the borders of the provinces are we not?

It's been happening for years! Look at that first quote. Ten years ago (and far earlier) guys were moving around to put together the best teams they could. Why is it just this year that Morris playing for BC caused so many to get their knickers in a knot? So petty and closed-minded.

03-22-14 10:04PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

THEY LIVED THERE

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

It's been happening for years! Look at that first quote. Ten years ago (and far earlier) guys were moving around to put together the best teams they could. Why is it just this year that Morris playing for BC caused so many to get their knickers in a knot? So petty and closed-minded.

All the others you mentioned they actually LIVED there not just on paper or even worse flaunted the fact they didn't but still played there anyway.

03-23-14 10:17AM
Unregistered

With all of the many rumoured changes in mens, it seems that the changes with the woman's teams have gone un-noticed! Chelsey Carey making the move to Alberta to join up with former Ontarians, Laura Crocker and Jen Gates. Laura Strong from Newfoundland now in Saskatchewan? Jen Jones obviously staying in Manitoba. Any other shake ups out there?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.206.37.228

03-23-14 10:22AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

Looney just because it's been happening for years does not make it right. As mentioned they LIVED in those provinces. 3 young men from other provinces MOVED to Newfoundland to curl with Brad. They LIVE there and WORK there.

03-23-14 10:24AM
Curlerfan2003 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlerfan2003 Click here to Send Curlerfan2003 a Private Message Find more posts by Curlerfan2003 Add Curlerfan2003 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlerfan2003
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: THEY LIVED THERE

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

All the others you mentioned they actually LIVED there not just on paper or even worse flaunted the fact they didn't but still played there anyway.

As long as teams that compete for the Olympics and on the WCT (where there are no residency rules) can compete in playdowns for the Brier then this is going to happen. Since the CCA is not doing anything about it people just need to move on, bitching about it in here aint going to go anywhere and its truely a pointless conversation!

03-23-14 10:49AM
Raywaterhouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Raywaterhouse Find more posts by Raywaterhouse Add Raywaterhouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raywaterhouse
Harvey Hacksmasher

I heard that Rob Ford is moving west to join Kevin Martin ..I understand he carries a lot of weight in the house .

03-23-14 12:05PM
Unregistered

quote:
With all of the many rumoured changes in mens, it seems that the changes with the woman's teams have gone un-noticed! Chelsey Carey making the move to Alberta to join up with former Ontarians, Laura Crocker and Jen Gates. Laura Strong from Newfoundland now in Saskatchewan? Jen Jones obviously staying in Manitoba. Any other shake ups out there?

wait laura strong going to Saskatchewan? when did this happen?

03-23-14 12:56PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: THEY LIVED THERE

quote:
Originally posted by Curlerfan2003

As long as teams that compete for the Olympics and on the WCT (where there are no residency rules) can compete in playdowns for the Brier then this is going to happen. Since the CCA is not doing anything about it people just need to move on, bitching about it in here aint going to go anywhere and its truely a pointless conversation!

It's not the CCA who has to do something about it. It's the member association that produces the provincial/ territorial champion. The CCA doesn't muddle in stuff that they shouldn't have to - ie rules that are supposed to be enforced at the provincial/territorial level.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.218.29.143

03-23-14 01:29PM
Unregistered

quote:

wait laura strong going to Saskatchewan? when did this happen?

Ashley Howard in Saskatchewan too??????

03-23-14 02:02PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

I have heard some way off the wall suggestions here...

but Laura Strong going to Saskatchewan , please give me a break, isn't she a member of the Strong sisters from the ROCK?...

03-23-14 02:22PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Maybe Amber is recruiting a team, Laura wants an opportunity to make the playoffs & Ashley needs a team. Watch out Lawton if indeed they are both playing for Amber.