CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 20 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-30-14 04:46PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Finally......

It is surpassingly obvious that Olympic Gold is the greatest prize in curling. And considered so by both players and fans.

For Canadian curlers it is equally obvious that the second greatest prize is the Brier. The tradition, the fact that you get to represent your province. The number of people in the stands, that watch it on TV. The fact that any curler can sign up and compete. All of these facts make it glaringly obvious, and I really can't imagine anyone ever arguing otherwise. Much less arguing their case successfully. It most certainly is not something I would ever argue.

What is open for debate is the importance of the Slams when looking to determine the greatness of teams.

And as someone brought up Team McEwen let's use them as example.

Team McEwen has now won three Slams. In terms of Slams this puts them behind only a very few teams. Team Martin, Howard, Middaugh, and Stougton.

Team Harris by contrast won a Silver in the Olympics, and with a different Vice made it to a Brier, missing the playoffs. Which is the better team? If you think the Slams are worth nothing it's no contest. If by contrast you think that the Slams are events that test the players to their utmost then Team McEwen being in the top five all time for Slam wins means there is a contest.

I can tell you this for free. If you were to ask Mike Harris which team was more accomplished his Brier team or McEwen's team my guess is he'd laugh out loud assuming you couldn't possibly be serious.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-30-14 at 05:47PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-30-14 05:32PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

But where are the butts in the seats?
Which was how this discussion started in the first place!

More often in their armchairs and on their couches watching events on TV (where you can usually see more and see better than live) except for major national and world championships in major curling centres like Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, etc., where you get 12,000 or more in an arena.

The number of people watching Grand Slams is mostly on Sportsnet (for which Slams get fees for broadcast rights and sponsorship revenue) or on the internet.

Just because you don't see people in an arena doesn't mean that people aren't watching and that revenue is not being generated.

03-30-14 07:56PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: Quality of Slam fields

quote:
Originally posted by JB42

What I do know, and anyone else can easily look up, is the depth of the fields at the Slams. They are comprised of the top teams in curling full stop.

Indeed - look it up:
The Masters of Curling featured Tyler George and Pete De Boer.
Canadian Open - Willy Lyburn and Brendan Bottcher
The National - Mark Dacey, Brock Virtue, and Travis Fancet

No way those teams are top 18 in the world.

The Slams were dead before WCT exec Paul Boutilier snagged a deal with CBC in 2007. The Slams were almost dead again, but then Sportsnet, in essence, bought the Slams. That is why no financial information will come out.

The Slams are worth something to the curlers - money - something the top teams can't get as easily at other events.

Final thought - As we move the Brier to a more elitest event, we should look to Scotland for pause. They have poured resources into creating a strong Olympic program. And look what is has produced. Olympics medals yes. It has also produced one quality mens and one quality womens team. And with those teams absent from the worlds, their apparent lack of depth is shocking. Is this what we want Canadian curing to become. The quest for gold every 4th year and nothing more?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.252.12.103

03-30-14 09:39PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

On the one hand....

You decry the lack of depth of the Scottish curling nation, and on the other you castigate the very kinds of events that keep Canadian curling so deep. Consistency may be the hobgoblin of small minds but contradiction is just plain bad logic.

The money the players make on the Slam circuit may not mean anything to you but I can guarantee it means a great deal to them in terms of freeing them to explore their curling potential. If you want the depth of Canadian curling to remain at its current stellar level you had better hope for an expansion rather than a contraction of the WCT and the Slams.

As to your denigration of the lower seeded teams to make the Slams. I could point out that Dacey is a former Brier winner which I had thought you valued above all other wins. Consistency for sure is not your problem.

Brock Virtue was hot enough early this year that people on CZ were decrying his exclusion from the pre-trials.
Botcher is a former World Junior Champ. Tyler George is 24th. And at 24th that makes him higher rated than half the teams at the Brier.

Not to mention the fact that NO other event in the world ever has the top ten teams in the world much less regularly as do the Slams in non-Olympic years. This year they could only manage the top 8 ranked teams in the world for The National. (along with the 11th and 12th) Not as strong as they usually get true. But stronger than ANY other event this year, except for the other Slams which did better with less conflict from other events. As will the Players Championship I would imagine. So yea, again, you can look it up.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-30-14 at 09:43PM

03-30-14 11:47PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Cactus Pheasant Classic

The CPC did have a stellar field. It's a great event year in year out without a doubt.

However without Jacobs, Howard, Stoughton and Gushue it obviously did not have as good a field as any of the Slams much less a better one.

This is I stress not a knock against the Cactus Pheasant Classic.

I'm a huge fan for example of the WCT event at my club, the High Park Curling Club. The Stu Sells Toronto Tankard. Which did feature Howard, Gushue, Stoughton and McEwen. But did not have Jacobs, Martin, Morris, Edin, Ulsruud.

I return to the unassailable facts. The Slams are the ONLY event in the world that EVER has the top ten teams. Even during a conflict laden schedule sandwiched between the Olympics and the Worlds they still pulled off a better field than any other event outside of the Slams. Anywhere. Ever. I.e. The top 8 teams in the world at the National and 10 out of the top 12.

I also promise this is the last time I will mention the Slams in this thread. Let us go back to what initiated this thread.

03-31-14 12:31AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Nice points JB. Not your fault if people want to ignore your arguments.

Olympics is the most important event to curlers, followed by the Brier, but the Slams do have the toughest fields in curling. Both can be true.

04-01-14 02:50AM
Unregistered

Gerry, any idea why the Players championship get cut down to 12 teams when it was advertised as 15 all year?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.61.252

04-01-14 04:59AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Gerry, any idea why the Players championship get cut down to 12 teams when it was advertised as 15 all year?

Originally started with 12 because of the Olympic year historically being tough to fill and then changed early in the season when a lot of teams said they would be going.

Once we started sending invites out, we had several declines, getting to 18th ranked team on Men's side and 25th ranking team on Women's side, so the decision was to run with 12/12 or we'd be still going down the list with the event nearing.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-01-14 06:50AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

The draw times do not look correct for the playoffs. It lists the womens QFs at 4:00 PM ET on Saturday, the mens QFs at 5:00, then the mens semis at 8:30 PM ET and the womens semis at 11:30 PM ET.

Is there really an overlap with the QFs? Also, the womens SFs won't be starting after midnight AT, would they?

04-01-14 08:19AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Invitational

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Originally started with 12 because of the Olympic year historically being tough to fill and then changed early in the season when a lot of teams said they would be going.

Once we started sending invites out, we had several declines, getting to 18th ranked team on Men's side and 25th ranking team on Women's side, so the decision was to run with 12/12 or we'd be still going down the list with the event nearing.

Wouldn't this be the perfect time to "invite" some local teams, say one each from PEI, NB and NS. Who knows, you might get some people to actually come out and watch, AND give these teams a shot at good arena ice. Win win for everyone.

04-01-14 08:32AM
Unregistered

Somehow Epping managed to sneak into the Players after a mediocre season.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.114.79.140

04-01-14 09:46AM
Unregistered

quote:

Epping didn't sneak in. He is skipping the former Kean team. The team is eligible as they have kept 3 of 4 players and Epping is eligible to spare for them as his team was not invited to the Players' (poor season results).

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.216.57.179

04-01-14 04:46PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

He's skipping Team Kean. Possibly an experiment for next season.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-01-14 05:04PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87
1 in every 25 Canadians is, or has been at one time, a curler. That doesn't sound like a fringe sport at all.

Does that stat have an actual source? Or did you make it up. Either way, 1 in 25 sounds very much like a fringe sport.

04-01-14 05:07PM
JB42
Drawmaster

There are more players in curling leagues than there are in hockey leagues. So I guess hockey is even more fringe?

I am speaking only of Canada of course.

04-01-14 05:09PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I call BS on that. Source?

04-01-14 05:39PM
JB42
Drawmaster

TSN is the source

04-01-14 05:47PM
JB42
Drawmaster

It is true, albeit misleading.

As the vast majority of curlers are members of clubs, and the clubs organize leagues, pretty much every curler is in a league.

A lot of hockey players by contrast as they get older drop out of competitive organized play and as a result the 'unofficial' hockey they continue to play is not counted as league play.

There are of course more Canadians playing hockey than there are Canadians playing curling. It is nonetheless true that there are more players in curling leagues than there are players in hockey leagues. Not to mention that there are over a million curlers in Canada. Making it a long way from a fringe sport in this country however you want to count the players.

04-01-14 05:59PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Where it is fringe is as a professional sport.

The crowds are tiny at the WCT events. The prize money is minuscule even when compared to bowling. Which you gotta admit is some way down the ladder of professional sport.

Small crowds, small prize money, that is pretty much the definition of fringe I'd say.

It is however very important to qualify this statement as being within the context of the hierarchy of professional sports money. And within the context of how other much other countries care about it.

When you instead consider the place of curling in Canada and it's popularity in Canada a very different picture emerges. Curling has far higher participation rates than bowling for example. I can also guarantee that there are more Canadians curling than are playing American football. The premier sports league in North America. I would also be very surprised if someone was able to prove to me that there were more Canadian playing 20 to 80 baseball or basketball games a year than there are Canadians playing that many curling games.

And when it comes to Canadians watching curling the numbers are up there with NHL hockey games.

All this tells me that when you are talking about sports in Canada curling is anything but a fringe sport.

04-01-14 07:31PM
Unregistered

If curling is as popular as you suggest JB, why are entries in bonspiels, junior spiels, etc. INCREDIBLY down from a decade ago.

I love curling and never miss an event. I live in B.C., but am originally from Manitoba. Back in its heyday, there were 600 to 700 men's teams in the Manitoba Bonspiel. The number has shrank so much that this year the Spiel, renamed itself the Manitoba Open and capped the number of teams at 256. In seeming desperation to get to that figure, the MCA invited women and junior curlers to participate. Participation in curling, other than the viewing of televised major curling events like the Brier, is plummeting.

I agree with you that curling is not a fringe sport (yet). But you seem to be suggesting that it is healthy and robust and respectfully that's just not true in Canada right now. Hopefully the Olympic Gold Medal success will reverse the participation decline.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.78.26.214

04-01-14 08:45PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Yes, bonspiel entries are down. On the other hand, club membership is up for most clubs in USA and new clubs are being formed. It is a different world today than it was in the heyday of bonspiiels. Kids are busier than ever and parents today think they have to be at each event their kids are involved in. The result is lots less free weekends for bonspieling. But in spite of fewer curlers playing in bonspiels and playdowns, I cannot speak for Canada but it seems the same dynamics probably apply to bonspiels up there too.

04-01-14 09:56PM
Unregistered

Curling is dying...no money in it and its a waste of time for most...clubs are shutting down everywhere.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.76.192.121

04-02-14 12:48PM
JB42
Drawmaster

I wasn't suggesting a trendline in either direction for the simple reason that I don't know the data. My only point was that curling is not a fringe sport at the moment in terms of participation rates, and television numbers here in Canada.

I do know here in Toronto that participation rates are declining. They have to be as curlers cannot play their game without facilities and here in Toronto there have been number of facilities that have closed and no new facilities have come online. The Boulevard, Avonlea, and Lampton, that I know of. There may be others. It is not a subject to which I've paid much attention.

As for the rest of the country I have not the foggiest idea. The CCA would be the logical place to look if one is interested in the actual data.

04-02-14 02:01PM
ASquires is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ASquires Click here to Send ASquires a Private Message Find more posts by ASquires Add ASquires to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ASquires
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I'm sure team Koe will be fine at the World's. They've played together for so long that the ability to shut out distractions while on the ice is second nature.

There is also the not inconsiderable fact that the Canadian Men are far more dominant than the Canadian women at the World's. For example in the last six years the Canadian women have won zero golds wheras the men have won 4.

Since 1990 the men have won 15 and the women 9.

The men also pretty much never miss the playoffs. The only time they've finished out of the top 4 was the year McDuff represented us.

In the men's game three teams are currently in the top ten of the money list. Sven 6, Liu 9 and Ulsruud 10. So none in the top five.

When it comes to men's curling we are pretty much as close to a lock as things come in sport.

Interesting....6-3 and fighting for that last playoff spot isn't "close to a lock" by any means

04-02-14 02:26PM
krisblonski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for krisblonski Click here to Send krisblonski a Private Message Find more posts by krisblonski Add krisblonski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krisblonski
Knee-Slider

quote:
If curling is as popular as you suggest JB, why are entries in bonspiels, junior spiels, etc. INCREDIBLY down from a decade ago.

Ontario curler here so maybe my experience is different that yours.

I don't think it is necessarily fair (or smart) to judge curling's popularity based solely on bonspiel entries. People have different lifestyles than they did 10-15 years ago and often don't want to devote entire weeks or weekends to "megaspiels" and I certainly can't blame them. For instance, one of our clubs long-standing multi-day spiels was struggling with entries. After a quick format change to a single day event it filled up (read: doubled it's total entries) within days. I know a single event doesn't mean it's absolutely true but it was certainly an eye opening moment.

To make a huge generalization, curling as a whole is often times blinded by it's "tradition" and uses it as an excuse to not innovate and stay with the times. Yes it is terrible that a long standing bonspiel is dying but it's like that quote says, "you've got to let go of the old to make way for the new".