CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 18 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-28-14 03:55PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

There's Gold and then there's Platinum

As I have written about at length in previous posts......
The Scotties are roughly equivalent to the Euro's, the World's or the Olympics in terms of the depth of their fields. Aka. The degree of difficulty to win.

The Grand Slams on the other hand are far and away the deepest fields and so obviously the most difficult to win.

So by my count: Team Homan has 4 Golds. 2 Scotties, 2 Slams.

In addition to this they curled the highest percentage of any team in the history of the Scotties. And probably the Brier for that matter. (both play on arena ice, with comparable level of shot difficulty, so the comparison is valid)

And for added zest and flavour they have established a record of dominance for a single Scotties that will never be topped. I.e. Never once had to throw last rock while going undefeated.

With this team however even all of this, despite the extraordinary level of achievement it represents, is only the starting point of what makes them so exciting.

For we have never had a women's team that is ahead of the curve in terms of strategy. The tick and roll-in behind the corner shot that they play with hammer is a weapon no one else is yet daring. And what a weapon it is. It is only a matter of time before it is more widely adopted. Russ mentioned that Team Howard when the FGZ was first adopted tried playing that very shot because of the obvious advantage it conveys. They were forced to abandon it when they could not master it. Ice conditions have subsequently improved and Lisa Weagle has made the shot her own.

Then there is the extraordinary accuracy they have with hits of all kinds. The reason for this unprecedented level of accuracy is not because they are uniquely gifted in a way that no other curler ever has been. The reason for it is because they have built a better moustrap. I.e. Technique for throwing the rock. In effect they have more arrows in their quiver or more clubs in their bag when it comes to the up-weight. No other team has quite to their extent grasped the superiority of setting the rock with a variety of gradations. They are also unique in the degree to which they communicate what kind of release they are going to use. Rachel often plays her upweight across the house doubles with clearly negative ice. And man she makes a lot of them.

I remember back to the days of Colleen and Connie. It was to put it mildly frustrating to watch the Scotties and the World's. Like seeing the world adopt the 486 instead of the Mac. But there was no arguing with Colleen's success. (Or Microsofts for that matter....lol...) Unfortunately the fact of the matter was that the women's game lagged far behind the men's in terms of strategy. There was much talk at the time that the women were simply constitutionally incapable of playing the same kind of run-back game as the men. It was even said more than once that they always would be. Thankfully we can now put that hoary bit of male chauvinism to bed for good. And I look forward to seeing the women's game generally rise to the level of Team Homan. It may take a half a decade or perhaps even a little more, but it is as inevitable as it will be welcome.

This contribution will remain the defining mark of Team Homan no matter how well or badly they do in the future. Elevating the game itself is worth more than a couple of Gold's at the World's as far as I'm concerned and not by a small amount. Let's call it the Platinum standard:-)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-28-14 03:59PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy
There may be some logic in Joanne telling Sweeting when she did. Look what is going on with all the rumours surrounding Team Koe, with Hebert, Kennedy and Laing supposedly joining him next year. They haven't played the Worlds yet, and all the focus is already on next year for many people. This adds to the distractions, when they should just be focusing on winning right now.

If Joanne told Team Sweeting a few weeks ago, then that gets out very quickly. Team Homan wanted to announce Ali's departure after the worlds, so they wouldn't have those distractions. Joanne basically told them at the earliest opportunity she reasonably could have. It's still a long ways to go before the start of next season.

Not telling her team she had an offer and was considering leaving prevented them from trying to recruit any of the top curlers in AB. Nedohin&Nixon,Webster&Kaufman,Crocker and the new Albertan Carey have all committed to each other and I would be surprised if any of them go back on their word. Sweeting is going to have a tough time getting out of Alberta again and getting to the final against Homan again. I don't blame Courtney for taking this opportunity, but I don't like the way she treated her team of 3 years. it was either a brilliant move to weaken her competition or a very dirty one, every one is entitled to their own opinion on this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 187.130.147.17

03-28-14 04:42PM
Unregistered

Re: There's Gold and then there's Platinum

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
The Scotties are roughly equivalent to the Euro's, the World's or the Olympics in terms of the depth of their fields. Aka. The degree of difficulty to win.

The Grand Slams on the other hand are far and away the deepest fields and so obviously the most difficult to win.

In addition to this they curled the highest percentage of any team in the history of the Scotties. And probably the Brier for that matter. (both play on arena ice, with comparable level of shot difficulty, so the comparison is valid)

And for added zest and flavour they have established a record of dominance for a single Scotties that will never be topped. I.e. Never once had to throw last rock while going undefeated.

With this team however even all of this, despite the extraordinary level of achievement it represents, is only the starting point of what makes them so exciting.

For we have never had a women's team that is ahead of the curve in terms of strategy. The tick and roll-in behind the corner shot that they play with hammer is a weapon no one else is yet daring. And what a weapon it is. It is only a matter of time before it is more widely adopted. Russ mentioned that Team Howard when the FGZ was first adopted tried playing that very shot because of the obvious advantage it conveys. They were forced to abandon it when they could not master it. Ice conditions have subsequently improved and Lisa Weagle has made the shot her own.

Then there is the extraordinary accuracy they have with hits of all kinds. The reason for this unprecedented level of accuracy is not because they are uniquely gifted in a way that no other curler ever has been. The reason for it is because they have built a better moustrap. I.e. Technique for throwing the rock. In effect they have more arrows in their quiver or more clubs in their bag when it comes to the up-weight. No other team has quite to their extent grasped the superiority of setting the rock with a variety of gradations. They are also unique in the degree to which they communicate what kind of release they are going to use. Rachel often plays her upweight across the house doubles with clearly negative ice. And man she makes a lot of them.

I remember back to the days of Colleen and Connie. It was to put it mildly frustrating to watch the Scotties and the World's. Like seeing the world adopt the 486 instead of the Mac. But there was no arguing with Colleen's success. (Or Microsofts for that matter....lol...) Unfortunately the fact of the matter was that the women's game lagged far behind the men's in terms of strategy. There was much talk at the time that the women were simply constitutionally incapable of playing the same kind of run-back game as the men. It was even said more than once that they always would be. Thankfully we can now put that hoary bit of male chauvinism to bed for good. And I look forward to seeing the women's game generally rise to the level of Team Homan. It may take a half a decade or perhaps even a little more, but it is as inevitable as it will be welcome.

This contribution will remain the defining mark of Team Homan no matter how well or badly they do in the future. Elevating the game itself is worth more than a couple of Gold's at the World's as far as I'm concerned and not by a small amount. Let's call it the Platinum standard:-)

Oh fer world championships. Oh fer Olympics. They have won exactly nothing yet. They are a good little local Canadian team that has done zero on the world stage so far.
Ask Mike McEwan if the Grand Slams count as much as a World Championship win or an Olympics win. They are nice but in the big scheme of things they count for nothing.
As far as changing how women's curling is played, how is that one working out so far? The Swiss ladies team won the old fashioned way. By throwing quality shots when it matters.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.27.44

03-28-14 04:42PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Not telling her team she had an offer and was considering leaving prevented them from trying to recruit any of the top curlers in AB. Nedohin&Nixon,Webster&Kaufman,Crocker and the new Albertan Carey have all committed to each other and I would be surprised if any of them go back on their word. Sweeting is going to have a tough time getting out of Alberta again and getting to the final against Homan again. I don't blame Courtney for taking this opportunity, but I don't like the way she treated her team of 3 years. it was either a brilliant move to weaken her competition or a very dirty one, every one is entitled to their own opinion on this.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. What if she had told her team she was considering leaving, then decided to stay?

They still can't seriously look for players if they can only offer a "possibility" that there might be an opening, versus a guaranteed spot offered by other teams. And what effect would that have on team chemistry moving forward knowing she was heavily considering leaving, even if she wound up not going?

Joanne Courtney did things properly here. It always sucks to be in that situation, and someone's feelings are always going to be hurt. Once she accepted the offer, she promptly told her team. It's no different than changing jobs, you tell your current employer that you're moving on once you sign on with a new company.

03-28-14 04:58PM
Unregistered

Re: Team JONES on CBC Q

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
w/ Jian Ghomeshi.

It aired this a.m. but is prolly on CBC site.

Team Jones are presenters at Juno awards

Women donning gowns + diamonds

must see TV

Why??
The program is boring.
I never watched it before.
So I won't watch it just because JJ is making a presentation.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.233.162

03-28-14 05:19PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:

Who do you think they would have gone after? Who would have been the the right fit? If she knew Crocker was willing to play third that might have been the obvious choice, but then she and Gates seem joined at the hip.

03-28-14 05:26PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Re: There's Gold and then there's Platinum

quote:

How do you think Joannne will fair with Rachel? The upside is certainly tantalizing, but it may take a year for the team to smooth over the rough edges. You don't lose the best second in the game without having some setbacks.

03-28-14 05:43PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Count for nothing?

Dear Unregistered,

I suggest you buy yourself a ticket to one of the Slams and do yourself a little empirical research. Ask the players - any player - what a Grand Slam win would mean to them.

Now I understand perfectly well why a fan might feel that way. The national media treats curling with pretty much utter indifference unless they can bask in reflected glory. As a result when curling can give Canada a gold medal we become media darlings cause well there is nothing the media likes better than a chance to tell Canadians how great Canada is.

The interest however goes way down when it's the World Championship. Take a look at the Globe coverage for this weeks event for example and contrast it with the Olympics. The reason for this is not difficult to deduce. When we win at the Olympics we are "beating the world at sport", when it comes to the World's its merely a curling championship. So ya sure if we win it'll get mentioned. But Koe need not sit around his phone waiting for an invitation to the Juno's should he win.

The Slams by contrast have zero to do with nationalistic pride. They are instead about curling. So, the media, barely covers the outcome much less writing laudatory stories.

So yup, for the fan I can see it. I most certainly don't agree with it and believe my arguments are far more developed than theirs, but I can understand it.

For the players on the other hand the Grand Slam is the toughest event in their sport with by far the deepest fields.
Not to mention the fact that the players themselves developed this tour. Thereby finally escaping the monopolistic clutches of the CCA.

So go ahead and ask them. Or you could just take Glenn Howard's word for it. "It's so special whenever you can win one of these. Its the best teams in the world, the best competition youll play against all year."

03-28-14 05:53PM
Unregistered

well epping is now listed as skipping the fanset rink in the players.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 76.75.119.184

03-28-14 05:59PM
Unregistered

Re: Count for nothing?

quote:
Dear Unregistered,

I suggest you buy yourself a ticket to one of the Slams and do yourself a little empirical research. Ask the players - any player - what a Grand Slam win would mean to them.

Now I understand perfectly well why a fan might feel that way. The national media treats curling with pretty much utter indifference unless they can bask in reflected glory. As a result when curling can give Canada a gold medal we become media darlings cause well there is nothing the media likes better than a chance to tell Canadians how great Canada is.

The interest however goes way down when it's the World Championship. Take a look at the Globe coverage for this weeks event for example and contrast it with the Olympics. The reason for this is not difficult to deduce. When we win at the Olympics we are "beating the world at sport", when it comes to the World's its merely a curling championship. So ya sure if we win it'll get mentioned. But Koe need not sit around his phone waiting for an invitation to the Juno's should he win.

The Slams by contrast have zero to do with nationalistic pride. They are instead about curling. So, the media, barely covers the outcome much less writing laudatory stories.

So yup, for the fan I can see it. I most certainly don't agree with it and believe my arguments are far more developed than theirs, but I can understand it.

For the players on the other hand the Grand Slam is the toughest event in their sport with by far the deepest fields.
Not to mention the fact that the players themselves developed this tour. Thereby finally escaping the monopolistic clutches of the CCA.

So go ahead and ask them. Or you could just take Glenn Howard's word for it. "It's so special whenever you can win one of these. Its the best teams in the world, the best competition youll play against all year."

I don't need a ticket to do research. I've played in them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.27.44

03-28-14 06:00PM
JB42
Drawmaster

How will they fare?

I really don't think they'll miss even the slightest of beats.

Rachel has won a whole heck of a lot at every point in her career. Bantam, Junior, and now in Ladies.

In her first year of eligibility she lost 1 game at the provincials and 3 at the Scotties losing the Semi to Amber Holland the eventual champion.

In 2012 they went undefeated in the RR and lost the provincial final to Horgan. In 2013 they again went undefeated in the provincial RR and playoffs.

So in 3 years worth of provincial playdowns they have lost 2 games. These are Glenn Howard like numbers during his best days. They followed that of course by losing only a single game in the last two Scotties.

At one point in 2012-2013 they won something like 25 games in a row on the WCT. This is a very rare level of dominance. The last men's team I remember doing it was Team Middaugh at their peak.

The facts speak for themselves. This is a special athlete on a special team. It seems to me about as close to a lock as you can get in sport that they will keep rolling right along with Ms. Courtney filling as best she can the very large shoes she's been left.

03-28-14 06:05PM
JB42
Drawmaster

"I've played in them"

Is not an argument but a declarative sentence. As such it carries little information and even less weight.

Elaboration is required for the evaluation of the information you desire to convey and for the argument you wish to make.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-28-14 at 06:10PM

03-28-14 06:15PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Re: How will they fare?

quote:
I really don't think they'll miss even the slightest of beats.

Rachel has won a whole heck of a lot at every point in her career. Bantam, Junior, and now in Ladies.

In her first year of eligibility she lost 1 game at the provincials and 3 at the Scotties losing the Semi to Amber Holland the eventual champion.

In 2012 they went undefeated in the RR and lost the provincial final to Horgan. In 2013 they again went undefeated in the provincial RR and playoffs.

So in 3 years worth of provincial playdowns they have lost 2 games. These are Glenn Howard like numbers during his best days. They followed that of course by losing only a single game in the last two Scotties.

At one point in 2012-2013 they won something like 25 games in a row on the WCT. This is a very rare level of dominance. The last men's team I remember doing it was Team Middaugh at their peak.

The facts speak for themselves. This is a special athlete on a special team. It seems to me about as close to a lock as you can get in sport that they will keep rolling right along with Ms. Courtney filling as best she can the very large shoes she's been left.

No doubt they'll still be the favorites, but Ali K's presence on the team was a big factor in the success they had. We don't know what the chemistry will be like with Courtney. I think they'll eventually get on a roll, but if there is a year they may be more vulnerable, it seems like next year may be it.

03-28-14 06:38PM
Unregistered

quote:
news break....fresh on the unrestricted list is josh barry out of NB.....could be a good pick up for an up and coming team.

i think he would be willing to move elsewhere if opportunity arose. he must be nearing the end of school too. its really hard to be recognized out east as an up-and-comer. but he's been on the scene out east as long as I can remember in juniors and has won a couple mens spiels skipping junior teams

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 156.34.65.134

03-28-14 06:55PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Re: Re: Re: There's Gold and then there's Platinum

quote:

Suspect they'll playoff in first couple major cash spiels they're invited. Initially, they'll just be basking in having a new teammate and trying to focus on the fact Ali is no longer on board. Probably hit rougher waters later but with another STOH fawn-fest they'll have little problem until they confront teams like Carey or Sweeting out of Alberta or Jones out of Manitoba. Minor threats from Van Osch/BC and/or Lawton/SK.

A team like Homan, even with Coco Jones playing 2nd will just torment the hell out of the 4 Maritime teams, the Yukon/NWT squad and both club teams out of Ontario & Quebec. Thats 7 wins in hand, beat BC & Sask'n and you've got 9.

The first big test with Courtney will occur in next year's STOH playoffs.

I forgot, is the Canada Cup before or after the Scotties? Would be ideal if its before. Then of course there's the big Slam event like the National.

03-28-14 06:59PM
Unregistered

R there any updates on gushue team

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.151.190.82

03-28-14 07:30PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

Let's suppose Joanne told Team Sweeting she was considering the offer three weeks ago. And further suppose, she decided that after all of that time, she didn't want to move to Ontario. In the meantime, Sweeting realizes she doesn't want someone that is considering other offers and fires her from the team. Now, Joanne is without a team. Cathy O. was dumped my JJones. John Morris quit Martin. Changes happen all the time. You have to look out for yourself, because that's all you have control over.

Right now I'm considering switching jobs. In no way am I going to tell my current employer until I have decided if I'm leaving.

03-28-14 08:07PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

Right now I'm considering switching jobs. In no way am I going to tell my current employer until I have decided if I'm leaving.

The employer/job analogy is flawed. A top level employee in private industry would sign a non-compete agreement (usually 1 year). If they left to not 'a' competitor but to their number 1 rival they would be sued.

Further employee loyalty does not exist because companies are not loyal to employees. If there were no loyalty in competitive curling it would not be sustainable. The majority of teams are loyal to one another.

No more 'job' analogies, please.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.153.242.6

03-28-14 08:20PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:

The employer/job analogy is flawed. A top level employee in private industry would sign a non-compete agreement (usually 1 year). If they left to not 'a' competitor but to their number 1 rival they would be sued.

Further employee loyalty does not exist because companies are not loyal to employees. If there were no loyalty in competitive curling it would not be sustainable. The majority of teams are loyal to one another.

A top level athlete would never sign a non-compete agreement within their sport. That's the flaw in your argument here.

03-28-14 08:54PM
Unregistered

Re: Count for nothing?

quote:

But it's not the best competition. The pools in the slams have some comparatively weak teams. The top 5 teams in the country basically qualify for the quarters by showing up. From there, they need to play 3 good games to win. So it's not a grind. It's 'who of the top teams play well on the weekend'. Period.

Oh, and my favourite Glenn Howard quote:
"The guys made everything and, oh, thank god!"
That was in response to the 2012 Brier win.

The emotion displayed when a team wins a slam is a tiny fraction of that of a Brier win. History remembers the Brier winners.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.252.12.103

03-28-14 10:20PM
Unregistered

What's with all the incredible fawning over Rachel Homan 'Artist'? If she was as "special" an athlete as you suggest, she wouldn't have bombed out in the last two World Championships and even more so in the Olympic Trials.

Homan deserves 100% credit for back to back Scotties and she has an accomplished a great deal for someone her age. But she won't be "special" until she and her rink withstand the pressure and win some major international events.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.78.26.214

03-28-14 10:27PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

I am a top level employee in a private industry. I do not have a non-compete clause. I can go to our direct competitor, and I will not be sued. You can't stop someone from earning a living.

Jenn Jones fired Cathy O. There was no loyalty to her from the team, as they signed a younger, better player in Lawes. I think it was a good move and I don't think you should have to curl with people if you don't want to.

Just because you don't like the analogy, doesn't mean it has to stop, especially when your theory has been disproven.

03-28-14 10:53PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Sweeting was the favorite in Alberta before Courtney left but now it's pretty much open season. I wonder who she gets to replace Joanne? Will a player from one of the other teams jump ship to Sweeting? The Olympics have raised the stakes, it's dog-eat-dog.

Last edited by radiowave on 03-28-14 at 11:00PM

03-28-14 11:28PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:

Courtney & Homan left VaL pretty much hi + dry. She'll probably look for a quick patch for the upcoming season and then evaluate their success (or failure). And obviously with Courtney's actions they'll need to poach someone from another team - or bring in an inexperienced 19 yr old junior like Kelsey Rocque.

The only quality 3rds who are inactive for the upcoming season are Jeanna Schraeder (BC), Beth Iskiw (AB) and Cathy O (Parts Unknown)

If I were Val I'd be on the phone to Beth really soon. Beth and Val seem to have the same cool demeanour.

In fact, in my fantasy world the ideal STOH finale next season would be for Val to exterminate Rachel & Courtney in a semi-final slobber-knocker before succumbing to Jones in the final.

Forgot about Iskiw, she'd seem like a logical choice, solid player with championship experience. Cathy O could also slide in for next season. I thought about Rocque but then figured Sweeting may balk at the inevitable growing pains. Who knows, there is plenty of time until next season begins, perhaps players on other teams re-evaluate there own positions.

Ideally you think they'd want someone in the same age bracket with similar pop culture references. That seems to be the model du jour for many of the top womens teams like Homan, Muirhead, the Chinese, Koreans, etc.

03-29-14 12:33AM
China Supporter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for China Supporter Click here to Send China Supporter a Private Message Find more posts by China Supporter Add China Supporter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
China Supporter
Drawmaster

No Comment about Jessica Kim Quitting?

You thought Germany was bad??? Look what happened allegedly with the South Koreans...

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/new..._newsidx=154269

I will pose this question. Ji-Sun Kim is married to Xiaoming Xu, the Chinese Vice.

We saw the Korean Short Track Speed Skater Ahn left Korea due to his Sport Federation for Russia and won multiple medals in Sochi.

Personally, if the allegations are true, I would leave to curl for another country and Jessica potentially has that option.

I thought Imogen joining the mutiny was weird. Betty and Jessica in 2018?!?!? Can we trial test this at the 2016 Continental Cup?