CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 16 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-26-14 08:38PM
Tap Back is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tap Back Click here to Send Tap Back a Private Message Find more posts by Tap Back Add Tap Back to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tap Back
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Do you know Rachel? Being a little slanderous here don't you think! Rachel is intense, just what you want in a skip. She is probably the best skip in the world right now! And will be for years to come. She has grown in the past few years and it's nice to see her enjoying the game with smiles and chatting with her team mates. Mild Personality Disorder my a$$!

I agree
I do believe the only one with the "mild personality disorder" may be a certain poster who has exhibited about 7307 times that something is amiss.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-26-14 08:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Should read the first post.

- Koe, Kennedy and Hebert
- Laing going to Koe
- Stoughton splitting (ie, not knowing who he's curling with)
- Nichols going back to Newfoundland

A good start?

Some new things heard over the last couple of weeks is that McEwen's team might not be so solid and that there are offers out there. The big question is whether this team gives it 4 more years together or see greener pastures.

Really hope they can give it 4 more years, they're one of the best in the game and it's only a matter of time they put it together.

Niklas Edin has stated he's returning for 4 years, though talking to some other guys on the team it doesn't seem to be so set in stone for them. For a team living together on the road for so many days, it's not surprising to see some changes possible.

Morris and Cotter still up in the air, seems they're still deciding on next season at this point.

An update on the Middaugh/Howard situation is that both seem to be on different page curling-wise. Glenn has seem a change in his job at The Beer Store that puts him more into a marketing role and allows him to not have to be in the store as much, meaning he has more time to dedicate to the sport, while Middaugh is looking to cut back and not do the playdowns route. Just play some of the bigger events.

Some changes within Swiss curling as well, with Team Michel second Sandro Trolliet having to "retire" due to his third knee-surgery, and one of the players on Team de Cruz likely stepping away due to a job opportunity/relationship in the USA. Curious to see who fills these roles as well.

I don't suppose you know if there's any truth to the rumour that Mirjam Ott is retiring after this season is over?

03-26-14 09:04PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

I don't suppose you know if there's any truth to the rumour that Mirjam Ott is retiring after this season is over?

Haven't heard anything about Ott at this point.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-26-14 09:36PM
amead is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amead Click here to Send amead a Private Message Find more posts by amead Add amead to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amead
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Stuff - Edited by Admin

The more I read of the above mentioned posts the more I get that he is guessing at everything and really has no real idea. The name calling would be nice if it stopped as well. I work in a middle school, I try and teach that to kids every day (even some parents). You do offend people with your comments. It's not funny if that's what you are trying to be.

03-26-14 11:05PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Adams

quote:
Would love to see Gushue get some competition out on the rock! Does everyone remember that a guy named Shawn Adams skipped a team outta there this year? He's had Brier success! If he's still out there, team Nichols up with him, throw in a talented young player like Colin Thomas and then Jamie Korab for old time's sake, and you have a very good back end and front end. This is pure speculation (and absolutely ridiculous speculation at that), and I also don't know any of these people personally. But it's plausible in theory (and I've heard worse rumours on here)! Everyone wants to default Nichols back to Gushue, but there are other guys out there too, and I personally would love to see a showdown!

It would be fantastic if he was able to put a team together with Nichols, but I heard he "May" be moving back to NS. We'll see. If he doesn't, he can certainly give Brad a go with Nichols, Thomas and Korab.

03-27-14 12:37AM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Anyone hear who Sweeting got to replace Courtney in GP?

03-27-14 05:43AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by GrindingWin

Josh Barry to move to Manitoba to skip Team Dunstone at the 2015 Select is the word on the street.

Skip ? Find this one very hard to believe.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.164.4.52

03-27-14 08:15AM
Unregistered

Would imagine Sweeting is finishing out the season with Courtney at vice, just as Homan is finishing out the season with Kreviazuk.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.92.123.97

03-27-14 08:33AM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

quote:

Mark is a great player. Tremendous rep as a lead, 2nd or Olympic gold-medal winning 3rd stone tosser.

A skip he's NOT....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_C...ng_Championship

Who skipped that one?

03-27-14 09:27AM
Unregistered

Mark reminds me of Carter. ... They both seem to be able to anticipate future shots and arent shy to voice an opinion ... Martin, morris, Mcewen often choose shots that i think are wrong - Mike is often not sure what to play - for minutes ... The bad calls cost them games as they are the best shooters in my opinion. Koe, Edin, Cotter,Stoughton , Howard are th other great ones.. And Gushue too e
When he is hot

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-27-14 09:45AM
Unregistered

quote:
Would imagine Sweeting is finishing out the season with Courtney at vice, just as Homan is finishing out the season with Kreviazuk.

In fact that is not the case:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/...man-team-lineup

"Courtney informed the team of her decision late Monday night. She offered to play out her obligation and make one final appearance with the team at the $50,000 spiel in Grande Prairie starting Thursday, but that offer was declined.

It would have been awkward for us, said Sweeting, whos looking to find at least a temporary replacement before heading north Wednesday night. We want to finish the year strong."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

03-27-14 11:22AM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

quote:

In fact that is not the case:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/...man-team-lineup

"Courtney informed the team of her decision late Monday night. She offered to play out her obligation and make one final appearance with the team at the $50,000 spiel in Grande Prairie starting Thursday, but that offer was declined.

It would have been awkward for us, said Sweeting, whos looking to find at least a temporary replacement before heading north Wednesday night. We want to finish the year strong."

Must admit this switch caught everyone off guard. Im sure Val was very surprised. Funny but when you look at players brawn and muscle doesnt often make a great team, as it usually comes down to attitude and personality, especially in womens play. It depends on the fit and Vals team was a nice fit, but not necessarily the best curlers one-on-one chemistry won it for them. I cant imagine what would possess a pers to move across the country when your spouse and family are in AB. Guess playing for Team Cdn is more enticing that we think.

03-27-14 11:29AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

In other news, Mirjam Ott's team is splitting up.

http://www.suedostschweiz.ch/sport/...eben-jahren-auf

For those who don't understand German, the last paragraph outlines each player's intentions. Lead Greiner wants to take the next year off, and then see. Second Kung wants to start a family. Third Schafer wants to continue playing at the highest level and has already reached out to other teams. Ott is leaving her options open.

03-27-14 11:50AM
Unregistered

quote:

They all were off form at the Olympics, especially Grenier. Ott wasn't much better. I think they've been surpassed by both Tirinzoni and Jaeggi..... and its obvious Feltscher's team is now the #1 Swiss team!

All those good Swiss teams. Kind of begs the question - which nation really is the deepest in terms of top women's teams? And debate!

03-27-14 12:23PM
CurlingRH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingRH Click here to Send CurlingRH a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingRH Add CurlingRH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingRH
Harvey Hacksmasher

The general consensus seems to be that Joanne's insertion into Team Homan is, at worst, neutral with respect to the team's overall abilities. It may well turn out wonderfully, but I' not sure it's a slam dunk.

Joanne is a great sweeper, but sweeping was not a big weakness for Team Homan, so I'm not sure how big a difference she'll make in that regard.

As a shot-maker, it's not close. Alison was the top second at the 2013 STOH (84%, tied with Jill Officer), the top second at the 2013 Worlds (87% and the only Canadian first team all-star), the top second at the Olympic trails (87%), the top second at the 2014 STOH (90%) and the top second at the 2014 Worlds (84%). Team Homan has lost the best shooting second in the country, and arguably, the planet. Joanne will have to up her game considerably to get close to what Team Homan is used to at second.

Alison was also a steadying positive force on an emotional team. It would be a stretch for either Rachel or Emma to take on that role. It remains to be seen whether some combination of Lisa and/or Joanne can fill the void.

Even without the distractions of the messy departure from Team Sweeting, being the new kid on Team Homan may not be easy. This isn't a player-for-player swap ... it's a significant reconfiguration of the team's skillsets and chemistry. Add to that the fact that their long-time coach appears to be leaving, and, IMHO, this group has their work cut out for them if they want to be a better team than they've been over the past two years.

Which brings us to the most compelling aspect of this story ... what is the fate of the bandana? I'm hoping it's bandanas for everyone, but I'm not putting a lot of money on it.

It will also be interesting to see how Team Sweeting comes out of this. If they can find a sniper to throw third stones, they will upgrade their shooting percentages significantly (to this point in her career, Joanne is an average shot-maker at best) and ultimately could well become a much better team. I hope so, if only as a reward for handling this situation with such decorum.

I don't know how this is going to shake out for either team, but I do know that Canada has lost an outstanding curler, and the big winner right now is Sweden.

03-27-14 12:35PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
In other news, Mirjam Ott's team is splitting up.

http://www.suedostschweiz.ch/sport/...eben-jahren-auf

For those who don't understand German, the last paragraph outlines each player's intentions. Lead Greiner wants to take the next year off, and then see. Second Kung wants to start a family. Third Schafer wants to continue playing at the highest level and has already reached out to other teams. Ott is leaving her options open.

Id heard the rumour but what I got was basically a reference from someone I knew asking if id heard mirjam ott might be retiring so I didn't put to much into it.

so greiner is taking a year off and might be retiring for good and kung is retiring. Mirjam..doesn't know

its hard not to imagine that Carmen wont be snatched up by one of the other top swiss teams. I think she curled with tirinzoni before so they might team up again or maybe jaggi will get her. I doubt we'll see binia feltcher make any changes

If Mirjam does end up retiring she's had a great career to look back on that's for sure.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-27-14 12:38PM
Unregistered

quote:

Its only Year 1 of the next Olympic cycle. Ott & Schaeffer probably don't care if they curl next year, although they could be missing out on some sponsorship and tour cash.

They all were off form at the Olympics, especially Grenier. Ott wasn't much better. I think they've been surpassed by both Tirinzoni and Jaeggi..... and its obvious Feltscher's team is now the #1 Swiss team!

No..they are still the top team in Switzerland. Once again your bandwagoning is clouding your judgement.

I suspect that youll be off the feltcher wagon by the end of next season should they fail to win anything big

03-27-14 12:40PM
Unregistered

quote:

No..they are still the top team in Switzerland. Once again your bandwagoning is clouding your judgement.

I suspect that youll be off the feltcher wagon by the end of next season should they fail to win anything big

or should I say they were the number one team in Switzerland..right up until the emd

neither one of tirinzoni or jaggi have done anything at a major competition to make me think otherwise. Tirinzoni has flopped in all her senior appearances and jaggi cant even get out of the country

03-27-14 12:40PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingmad
I cant imagine what would possess a pers to move across the country when your spouse and family are in AB.

The opportunity to join a young team that has a strong chance to become the most dominant force in women's curling is a pretty good reason.

03-27-14 12:53PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingRH
The general consensus seems to be that Joanne's insertion into Team Homan is, at worst, neutral with respect to the team's overall abilities. It may well turn out wonderfully, but I' not sure it's a slam dunk.

Joanne is a great sweeper, but sweeping was not a big weakness for Team Homan, so I'm not sure how big a difference she'll make in that regard.

As a shot-maker, it's not close. Alison was the top second at the 2013 STOH (84%, tied with Jill Officer), the top second at the 2013 Worlds (87% and the only Canadian first team all-star), the top second at the Olympic trails (87%), the top second at the 2014 STOH (90%) and the top second at the 2014 Worlds (84%). Team Homan has lost the best shooting second in the country, and arguably, the planet. Joanne will have to up her game considerably to get close to what Team Homan is used to at second.

Alison was also a steadying positive force on an emotional team. It would be a stretch for either Rachel or Emma to take on that role. It remains to be seen whether some combination of Lisa and/or Joanne can fill the void.

Even without the distractions of the messy departure from Team Sweeting, being the new kid on Team Homan may not be easy. This isn't a player-for-player swap ... it's a significant reconfiguration of the team's skillsets and chemistry. Add to that the fact that their long-time coach appears to be leaving, and, IMHO, this group has their work cut out for them if they want to be a better team than they've been over the past two years.

Which brings us to the most compelling aspect of this story ... what is the fate of the bandana? I'm hoping it's bandanas for everyone, but I'm not putting a lot of money on it.

It will also be interesting to see how Team Sweeting comes out of this. If they can find a sniper to throw third stones, they will upgrade their shooting percentages significantly (to this point in her career, Joanne is an average shot-maker at best) and ultimately could well become a much better team. I hope so, if only as a reward for handling this situation with such decorum.

I don't know how this is going to shake out for either team, but I do know that Canada has lost an outstanding curler, and the big winner right now is Sweden.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. I've heard spectators on twitter and elsewhere say that Homan could be even better or won't miss a beat with this addition and I thought "WTF, are you people serious?" Ali was easily the best second in the game in terms of shot-making consistency. She had every shot in the bag and you could pretty much lock her in for 85% + shooting. How quickly we forget, out with the old in with the new. I've said on this thread that Courtney has HUGE ability which I believe has been largely untapped to this point. I disagree that she is an average shot-maker, but more of a streaky one. She has games where she looks absolutely brilliant and others that leave you scratching your head. Rachel will be expecting much more of the brilliant and that is where the intrigue will lie for me. Will Courtney crack and crumble under that kind of pressure from a perfectionist, or will the diamond in the rough emerge? If she does find that next level, then its truly scary what this team can throw at you. I do think this is the team that can bring out the best in her, but I don't expect it immediately. Next year may be a transition period for the team, even though you know someone like Homan will expect the team to carry on as usual. We know she's the best brusher in the women's game, so that impact will be felt immediately.

Last edited by radiowave on 03-27-14 at 12:56PM

03-27-14 01:15PM
Unregistered

Lots of discussion about whether Joanne will be a good fit, but no discussions or counter arguments of who else the Homan team should have picked up instead! Go figure with all the crazy rumours being thrown around in here! I personally can't think of a better, immediately available option at second. Therefore (in my mind) there could have been no better choice!

03-27-14 01:39PM
Unregistered

In terms of upside I don't think there was a better choice. Allisons positive attitude and role of emotional stabilizer can not be replace. Others will need to step up which could end up being a good thing. Joanne is happy to be a part of the team I;m sure, but she has made a great sacrifice to do so. It imparitive that the team do everything possible to make her feel comfortable and excercise great patience. Otherwise I don''t hink it will work.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.72.122.71

03-27-14 01:46PM
CurlingRH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingRH Click here to Send CurlingRH a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingRH Add CurlingRH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingRH
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Lots of discussion about whether Joanne will be a good fit, but no discussions or counter arguments of who else the Homan team should have picked up instead! Go figure with all the crazy rumours being thrown around in here! I personally can't think of a better, immediately available option at second. Therefore (in my mind) there could have been no better choice!

I don't think too many people are criticizing the choice. Joanne's a world-class sweeper, a great athlete and obviously seriously committed to curling at the highest level. I agree with radiowave that she's a potential diamond in the rough as a shooter, and could well help take Team Homan to another level.

It's difficult to speculate on other potential candidates. It's pretty clear Val Sweeting didn't think that Joanne was available, so how do we define the potential pool of candidates? Who knows whether other people were offered the job before Joanne. As much fun as speculating is, this is one situation where I'd be happy seeing everyone focus on what is, and not what might have been.

03-27-14 03:49PM
derek sutton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for derek sutton Click here to Send derek sutton a Private Message Find more posts by derek sutton Add derek sutton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
derek sutton
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think Sonnenberg would be a good fit to join Sweeting, throwing third but calling the game. Sweeting hasn't had a true third over the past couple of years but still went far. The trend has been top end players joining up and if you can't beat them, join 'em.

03-27-14 04:49PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:

Big fan of Courtney. Even bigger fan of Val Sweeting. And there's no question Val was blind-sided by the switchup.

Of course, the other aspect is that maybe Joanne should have called Val & her other team-mates and tell her an offer from Homan had arrived. Even if Val accepted the fact she was gonna lose her most dominant player at least they could have aired all their griping in private.

I'm a fan of Sweeting as well, but you wonder how she would have handled Joanne's admission of the offer.... Even if she hadn't accepted it at that point in time, the simple fact that she was considering it would have sent ripples through the team and most likely in a negative way. Tough either way you slice it. She obviously figured the best way to handle it was to tell them after she made a decision. I think it was myself, but the timing was unfortunate because the Prairie Showdown, it forced her hand.

I hope Val can find a top level player to replace Joanne because they were the Alberta favorites prior to the departure imo.

Last edited by radiowave on 03-27-14 at 04:51PM