CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 14 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-26-14 07:42AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

IMHO, I think it was low for Courtney to have known about this for weeks and JUST notified Sweeting Monday night. Talk about having no loyalty. That is not nice in the best of terms and in the worst... well, if I were Homan, I wouldn't trust her if she feels she can one up her as well. It reminds me of the analogy of the serial cheater--once a cheater, don't think they won't cheat on you.

Maybe people would feel my opinion above is too harsh, but she should have let Sweeting know about this right after she was approached so Sweeting and teammates wouldn't be left in the lurch now.

I can only hope things happen for a reason and my hopes are for team Sweeting to find a 'better' replacement, and possibly, if someone was looking at a team shakeup or coming out of juniors or university lineups, well, this may be their big break.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.151.96.229

03-26-14 08:59AM
Unregistered 2

You're serious? Courtney was offered this weeks ago but only decided to do it this past weekend. You're saying that the second she was asked she should have immediately let her team know? So everytime someone asks you about another job or you're looking for another job, you immediately go and tell your boss? Please! As soon as Courtney accepted the position, which was after the Worlds, she let Sweeting know. No harm no foul.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.94.25.63

03-26-14 09:16AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered 2
You're serious? Courtney was offered this weeks ago but only decided to do it this past weekend. You're saying that the second she was asked she should have immediately let her team know? So everytime someone asks you about another job or you're looking for another job, you immediately go and tell your boss? Please! As soon as Courtney accepted the position, which was after the Worlds, she let Sweeting know. No harm no foul.

Well said.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-26-14 10:01AM
ASquires is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ASquires Click here to Send ASquires a Private Message Find more posts by ASquires Add ASquires to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ASquires
Knee-Slider

I love all the speculation but believe it's much better to simply wait till teams publicly announce their lineups and confirm any changes. This way, the debate over these rumours would be relieved. With the majority of the big events having completed play, it won't be too long till all the dominoes fall. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far the new Koe rink is the only confirmed team, which will make for an interesting dynamic at Worlds.

03-26-14 10:12AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ASquires
I love all the speculation but believe it's much better to simply wait till teams publicly announce their lineups and confirm any changes. This way, the debate over these rumours would be relieved. With the majority of the big events having completed play, it won't be too long till all the dominoes fall. Correct me if I'm wrong but so far the new Koe rink is the only confirmed team, which will make for an interesting dynamic at Worlds.

Shouldn't change the dynamic at all, they knew months ago they were splitting at the end of the year and still won the brier. I don't see why it would affect their performance at Worlds.

03-26-14 10:26AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Carmody is a very good young player but I don't think she'd give Sweeting any more than Courtney did. She's certainly not near as strong a brush as The Bandana.

If the rumours about Jones following Laing to Alberta are true then the one rumour that makes most sense is Jones skipping Sweeting's team.

If Jones is not a possiblity in Alberta then the two most prominent names to join Sweeting (at 3rd) are Beth Iskiw or Carey)....

Kaitlyn Lawes has also played in Alberta before (with Cathy King) so she could conceivably join Sweeting (if Jones were to hang it up or move out of Manitoba). However, I don't know if Sweeting could protect Kaitlyn as well as JJ did the last few years.

It's hard to believe no team is jumping on Carmody considering she is likely to be a free agent.
She took a no-name team to the Scotties final won the playoff MVP (over Jones) and nearly took down JJ. She is obviously a pressure player and you'd think she could slide in at almost any position on any top team.
Seems like she has had more success throwing the brick herself instead of letting sub par players throw fourth for her. Imagine what she could do playing for a good skip

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 71.7.178.135

03-26-14 10:34AM
ASquires is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ASquires Click here to Send ASquires a Private Message Find more posts by ASquires Add ASquires to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ASquires
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

Shouldn't change the dynamic at all, they knew months ago they were splitting at the end of the year and still won the brier. I don't see why it would affect their performance at Worlds.

I agree to a certain degree, they knew of Carter retiring but not so sure the 3 of them planned to split up, especially after a Brier win and a chance to return as Team Canada. I still think this decision is in the best interest of Koe, as his team will be dynamite in the future but still personally think there may be a psychological impact on Pat/Nolan. With this being said, they still are the favourites in my eye and will deal with all the adversity involved with representing Team Canada.

Could be wrong!

03-26-14 10:53AM
Unregistered

Please correct me if I am wrong. Need three original players to come back as Team Canada. What if Carter comes back as fifth player and Pat and Nolan play with two new curlers, would that be within the rules?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.108.53.210

03-26-14 10:57AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Please correct me if I am wrong. Need three original players to come back as Team Canada. What if Carter comes back as fifth player and Pat and Nolan play with two new curlers, would that be within the rules?

Yep, especially if Carter is listed as the second for the purposes of the event.

03-26-14 11:08AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I'm sure team Koe will be fine at the World's. They've played together for so long that the ability to shut out distractions while on the ice is second nature.

There is also the not inconsiderable fact that the Canadian Men are far more dominant than the Canadian women at the World's. For example in the last six years the Canadian women have won zero golds wheras the men have won 4.

Since 1990 the men have won 15 and the women 9.

The men also pretty much never miss the playoffs. The only time they've finished out of the top 4 was the year McDuff represented us.

Then there are the Slams. An even better indication of our dominance as we get to field all of our best teams against the best of the rest of the world. In 51 Slams the rest of the world has carried away precisely, wait for it, none! Yowza.

Our women, as you'd expect, have also been far more dominant in the Slams than at the World's . Part of that however has to do with the fact that only recently have the women's teams from the rest of the world started sending their women to play a lot on our circuit. The men teams have been coming in force for much longer.

With this increased participation by the ROW women on the WCT money trail has come a marked increase in success. E.g. The Swiss have the 2,4, and 6 top money winners. Their fourth highest money winning team is 12th, oh, and also the World Champ:-) Eve is 3, Wang is 7 and Siderova is 8. So that makes six of the top ten money makers and three of the top five. One would expect at some point for this to turn in to more success at the Slams in the not too distant. So far though the ROW have won just 3 slams in the women's game.

In the men's game three teams are currently in the top ten of the money list. Sven 6, Liu 9 and Ulsruud 10. So none in the top five.

When it comes to men's curling we are pretty much as close to a lock as things come in sport.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-26-14 at 11:12AM

03-26-14 11:48AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Well said.

I dissagree. It is a fact that Courtney gave her word to team Sweeitng that she was committed to them for another four years. To lie to their face and keep this under wraps,thus limitting the team ss to who they can pick up is disgracefull. Team Sweeting has hanldled this with class after being dumped on big time. Courtney is the strongest sweeper in Canada because she trained and worked hard. But she is where she is today because of her three former team mates and she has slapped them in the face. it is very unethical how she went about this. any player with any scruples would have come clean long ago. I don't have as much class as team sweeting. I say alberta is better off without an athelte who would pull a stunt like this, I say good by and good ridence Joanne Courtney.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 187.130.147.17

03-26-14 11:58AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

There are no locks on the doors and no bars on the windows, curling teams are not prisons. They are instead more like rock bands. You've got the lead singer, the skip, the lead guitarist, the vice, the bass player, the second, and the drummer, the lead.

And as with bands the players become very close by playing together over the years. This closeness however should not be confused with an arrangement that is immutable.

Unregistered does not know what happened in this case. So to be casting aspersions this dark at this young woman without the facts is to put it as generously as I can unwarranted.

If those directly involved can handle this situation with respect and class, surely those of us who have no skin in the game can emulate them.

03-26-14 11:59AM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I dissagree. It is a fact that Courtney gave her word to team Sweeitng that she was committed to them for another four years. To lie to their face and keep this under wraps,thus limitting the team ss to who they can pick up is disgracefull. Team Sweeting has hanldled this with class after being dumped on big time. Courtney is the strongest sweeper in Canada because she trained and worked hard. But she is where she is today because of her three former team mates and she has slapped them in the face. it is very unethical how she went about this. any player with any scruples would have come clean long ago. I don't have as much class as team sweeting. I say alberta is better off without an athelte who would pull a stunt like this, I say good by and good ridence Joanne Courtney.

You're making an assumption a four year commitment had already been finalized and agreed to. Do you have anything to back that up? If not, there's nothing wrong with what Courtney did.

03-26-14 12:04PM
Unregistered

No rumours yet on Mark Nichols? Mmmmm interesting. Definitely means someone would be leaving Team Gushue, but who? Would Mark put together a new team?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.206.37.228

03-26-14 12:07PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape

You're making an assumption a four year commitment had already been finalized and agreed to. Do you have anything to back that up? If not, there's nothing wrong with what Courtney did.

She left in March, not September. That's plenty of time to react when the dust settles on this season and players find out who is teamless and available. She did what she had to do. I'm guessing there isn't one person on this board who wouldn't have jumped on the chance to play on a team seen as the next dominant team in curling.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.27.44

03-26-14 12:12PM
JB42
Drawmaster

The point is.....

IF you you don't know the facts THEN you should not be making what are in essence quite vicious slanders against someone's character.

And IF you do know the facts you have been privy to information that is meant to remain within the family so to speak so THEN you most certainly shouldn't be speaking about it in a public forum.

These are the most basic IF-THEN statements imaginable. Surely we can rise to the level of adhering to the most basic rules of logic and respect.

03-26-14 12:13PM
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

quote:

She left in March, not September. That's plenty of time to react when the dust settles on this season and players find out who is teamless and available. She did what she had to do. I'm guessing there isn't one person on this board who wouldn't have jumped on the chance to play on a team seen as the next dominant team in curling.

Absolutely.

03-26-14 12:47PM
Unregistered

quote:

Other than her childhood friend and teammate Geri Lynn Ramsey Erin hasn't been too lucky finding quality teammates. I think she's seen as a Kaitlyn Lawes clone who didn't get the big break. Lawes got on with JJ - Erin got on with Kathy O'Rourke, massive difference! Then she moved west and got on with Alberta's great glamour curler, Crystal Webster. Not good!

Funny, no one is speculating about Crystal Webster (39), Cathy Overton (45) coming in to gap fill for Sweeting. I think we all know the answer.

Cathy O, who still runs a business in Winnipeg must be looking at twitter with her head on a swivel. She can't possibly remain in Alberta for curling season and get mowed over by some of the best teams in the country. Right now, if she could bring some of her alberta mates into Manitoba, she just might be the top gun (if Jones retires or flees elsewhere). Carey's great front end remain free agents - Cathy would just have to find a monster 3rd (like Carmody, Iskiw, Kleibrink, etc.) to hunt down the Manitoba berth which if Jones and Carey are gone - is almost an auto-berth for a high performance team.

You have got to be kidding.. Kaitlyn Lawes won 2 junior Canadian championships beating Rachel Homan in one of them and Erin Carmody never made the playoffs in her 2 junior appearances.. You are probably the only person on this site that thinks Erin is just as good as kaitlyn

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.250.232.209

03-26-14 01:13PM
Unregistered

Other than 1 good Scotties run, Carmody hasn't done anything.

She is young and might eventually get there, but until then, don't put her on any mantle.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.249.65.250

03-26-14 01:31PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Never said Carmody was better than Lawes - just that Lawes got much better opportunities, especially Jones, Officer, Lawes & Arnot to mentor her. Despite breaking down in a couple big situations she's easily one of the 3 best at her position in Canada.

Once again, it's not Lawes that breaks down in big situations. That's Miskew. Don't let facts get in the way of your view though.

03-26-14 01:43PM
Unregistered

quote:
Other than 1 good Scotties run, Carmody hasn't done anything.

She is young and might eventually get there, but until then, don't put her on any mantle.

This exactly. Carmody is this generation's Suzanne gaudet. Had one good run and is talented but is definitely not as great as some make her out to be and is definitely not a hot prospect

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-26-14 01:44PM
Unregistered

quote:

it would be great if you could provide evidence that she did this if not then shut up.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-26-14 02:07PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:

You don't seem to have to considered the fact that this was likely a very difficult decision for Joanne. On the surface it seems like a no- brainer that she'd leave to join Homan, but she's moving across the country to do so. She'll be living away from her husband for half the year... without getting into too much detail, that can often be a slippery slope for relationships/marriages. Then there is the connection to her Sweeting teammates which made the decision even more difficult, the last thing you want to do is hurt them or feel like you betrayed them. It seems obvious to me that the reason she didn't let her teammates know right away is because she was wrestling with these issues and emotions. She just wanted to be 100% sure she was doing the right thing before committing.

Last edited by radiowave on 03-26-14 at 02:14PM

03-26-14 02:13PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by radiowave

You don't seem to have to considered the fact that this was likely a very difficult decision for Joanne. On the surface it seems like a no- brainer that she'd leave to join Homan, but she's moving across the country to to so. She'll be living away from her husband for half the year... without getting into to much detail, that can often be a slippery slope for relationships/marriages. Then there is the connection to her Sweeting teammates which made the decision even more difficult, the last thing you want to do is hurt them or feel like you betrayed them. It seems obvious to me that the reason she didn't let her teammates no right away is because she was wrestling with these issues and emotions. She just wanted to be 100% sure she was doing the right thing before committing.

On top of this, there was probably some sort of agreement made between her and Team Homan to not announce this new team until after the World Championships. Team Homan probably asked her to not mention it until after so that it doesn't distract them during that week.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.16.230.14

03-26-14 02:20PM
Unregistered

She may have made that promise. But these days promises mean nothing to competitive players. At least sweating has several months to find a player.

When do you know a competitive curler is lying? When they use 'I promise' in a sentence! LMAO!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.249