ENG (Harsch) Final
LTU (Paulauskaite) 11  (6)
SWE (Norberg) Final
SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) (8)
SCO (Kennedy) Final
JPN (Yoshimura) (8)
CAN (Froud) 12  Final
LAT (Kapostina) (6)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2016 Manitoba Viterra Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-13-16 10:38PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Frozencanuck
Dunstone should not have been there in the first place. What was the MCA thinking. This is like letting Jones play in the Scotties the year she went to the Olympics! Dumb. Dumb. Dumb

I'm torn on this.

On one hand I agree because it muddies up things. I think it sucks if a team gets into the Brier losing to Dunstone in the final.

On the other hand, I don't begrudge Dunstone for being there at all or for trying to win it all. They earned the right to be there and should play their best (as it appears they have been). There are CTRS points on the line and (if he wins it all) a berth into next year's provincial. It's more than just practice for them leading into World Juniors.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-13-16 11:38PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Phil_D

I think it sucks if a team gets into the Brier losing to Dunstone in the final.

That would be a very American-like result. Brady Clark defeated John Shuster tonight in US National Championship but Shuster advances to world because of more OOM points.

02-14-16 04:24AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

page 2 ....

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Baker explained there is a scenario where a team that lost the final to Dunstone could theoretically have the same number of losses in the upcoming weekend playoff round as the team that lost Sunday morning’s semifinal.

In that scenario, Baker said Curl Manitoba has decided the loser of the final would have to play the loser of the semifinal in a special tiebreaker game for the Brier berth.

02-14-16 07:55AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

you know..im not sorry but im pulling for carruthers 100% this morning. i can not hope that a team that not only cant go to the brier if they win but entered this event using it as training for the world juniors and with no intention of going to the brier wins the semi final or,indeed the whole thing.

it kind of annoys and frustrates me that they even decided to play this.on one hand i get they wanted to stay active but on the other hand they took a spot in provincials away from a team that was going to try to win and wanted to get to the brier.

so as much as i do like them i do not want a team that cant honor the win and rep manitoba at the brier anyway winning.i dont even want them in the final. and how stupid would it be if they win and then the loser of the semi and the final have to play another match to determine the winner.

02-14-16 08:15AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Training event?

They hadn't even won the Canadian Title when they entered. Just like any other Manitoba curler, they won a spot and deserved to use it.

02-14-16 08:45AM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curl401
Swing Artist

Re: page 2 ....

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks

Where is this written?? Winnipeg free press says if Dunstone is in the final MacEwan receives the Brier Birth win or lose

02-14-16 08:53AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Re: Re: page 2 ....

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401

Where is this written?? Winnipeg free press says if Dunstone is in the final MacEwan receives the Brier Birth win or lose

It says that if the team losing the SF has the same amount of losses as the team losing the F, it would be a problem. The only way it could happen is if Dunstone would have lost the 1-1 Page Playoff on his way to the tile.

02-14-16 09:12AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Training event?

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
They hadn't even won the Canadian Title when they entered. Just like any other Manitoba curler, they won a spot and deserved to use it.

coming from their own mouths they are using this as nothing but a way to keep in shape for the world juniors

02-14-16 09:22AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Training event?

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

coming from their own mouths they are using this as nothing but a way to keep in shape for the world juniors

Well of course, and I don't know any other team that would not do the same.

02-14-16 09:37AM
Curl401 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curl401 Find more posts by Curl401 Add Curl401 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curl401
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: page 2 ....

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

It says that if the team losing the SF has the same amount of losses as the team losing the F, it would be a problem. The only way it could happen is if Dunstone would have lost the 1-1 Page Playoff on his way to the tile.

Thanks
So if Dunstone wins this morning MacEwan is in the Brier.

02-14-16 09:47AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Let's enjoy our present and future star athletes that continue to make our province proud., and not throw them under the bus. If Matt wins, great, Mike goes to the briar (his dream and deserving of) and Matt gets us a gold in juniors, plus, think of what he can do for Manitoba down the road.

02-14-16 09:57AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Re: Training event?

quote:
you know..im not sorry but im pulling for carruthers 100% this morning. i can not hope that a team that not only cant go to the brier if they win but entered this event using it as training for the world juniors and with no intention of going to the brier wins the semi final or,indeed the whole thing.

it kind of annoys and frustrates me that they even decided to play this.on one hand i get they wanted to stay active but on the other hand they took a spot in provincials away from a team that was going to try to win and wanted to get to the brier.

so as much as i do like them i do not want a team that cant honor the win and rep manitoba at the brier anyway winning.i dont even want them in the final. and how stupid would it be if they win and then the loser of the semi and the final have to play another match to determine the winner.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well of course, and I don't know any other team that would not do the same.

Like I posted earlier I'm torn on this issue.

I'm pulling for Carruthers as well, both as a fan of that team and for the reason that misty1 mentioned. Dunstone winning gives McEwen his brier berth before the final game is even played. If McEwen ends up losing, they're still in.

That being said, I don't begrudge the Dunstone rink at all for playing in the provincial, due to the fact that there are CTRS points on the line and if they win it they're automatically in it next year. Not to mention that they earned their right to be there.

As for using the event as practice, again I'm on the fence. I don't begrudge them for doing so but on the other hand it's not necessarily fair to the teams that are playing for that shot at the Brier. It was mentioned elsewhere, but it would be somewhat like a team that won the trials playing in provincials as a tune up before the Olympics.

Anyway, I know I'm repeating myself a bit with this post but I did want to point out that there is more on the line for Dunstone here then just practice.

As for my feelings, I guess I can best sum them up as: *shrug*

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-14-16 10:17AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Dunstone should have played

Matt adds top level curling to the Playdown

The fact that he may beat the defending champion in the SF
really does not matter.. except maybe to Reid

As I have stated earlier.. I believe this is a Curl Manitoba issue..

Curling certainly has benefited from Dunstone competing at the Men's level..
Mike McEwen did beat Team Dunstone on Friday night

Play on guys.. and its televised

02-14-16 11:49AM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is setting up to be the biggest embarrassment for Manitoba curling in history, with a meaningless final. Teams that were beat out by a team that shouldn't! be curling for the provincial should riot! Who ever the head honcho's are for curling in Manitoba should be canned, Dunstone should be embarrassed for not pulling out of a provincial play down that he does not intend on carrying thru.

02-14-16 11:53AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

no tv. what kind of 4ender was it. was carruthers cavalier or were there lots of misses or was it an unbelievalbe shot by dunstone?

and.. to weigh in - i have no prob with dunstone making the final - and runner up / winner going to brier. what is the big deal. Good for Matt n team. Lucky for Mikey's four. Interesting, not criminal nor unethical. Memorable, and cool, really. Who is getting "hurt" here? The ones who LOST to Matt? Don't think so.

Will appreciate recap of 4 ender.

02-14-16 11:56AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Much of this blather seems to assume that Mcewen won't win the final. If he wins , this is all academic.

02-14-16 12:02PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Much of this blather seems to assume that Mcewen won't win the final. If he wins , this is all academic.

THANK YOU! Finally some common sense.

02-14-16 12:03PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by chinabar
This is setting up to be the biggest embarrassment for Manitoba curling in history, with a meaningless final. Teams that were beat out by a team that shouldn't! be curling for the provincial should riot! Who ever the head honcho's are for curling in Manitoba should be canned, Dunstone should be embarrassed for not pulling out of a provincial play down that he does not intend on carrying thru.

You are a huge whiner.

02-14-16 12:12PM
chinabar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chinabar Find more posts by chinabar Add chinabar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

There is zero pressure on either team if Dunstone is in the final. It is not academic if Dunstone loses - he should not have been in the provincial. Neither team has anything to lose-what a farce for Manitoba curling. Even if Carruthers comes back to win- the whole miss management by MCA officials has been exposed.

02-14-16 12:12PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

"Whiner" is an understatement. Why not celebrate a great performance and recognize how rare this is. As for it being an embarrassment, there are all sorts of team in major national events that have players who reside in other provinces. The purity of a true provincial representative is long-past.

02-14-16 12:14PM
chinabar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

You are a huge whiner.

it is spelled WINNER!

02-14-16 12:17PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

Re: Hilarious reactions... ^^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
All these non- elite curlers protesting about what is being
decided on the ice

Didnt Reid Carruthers bomb at the Brier last year ? ( 4-7)

Matt Dunstone is an incredible boost to the future of Manitoba Men's curling

Team McEwen needs to play their best in the "nothing" final..
to practice for the Brier...

no excuses now.. Mike finally has his chance.. hope he makes the most of it...

These phony moralists making a mountain out of a molehill - and even before it's even happened - are hilarious. It's like the Comedy Channel lol.

02-14-16 12:17PM
Ajay
Drawmaster

I'm getting excited about this unique story line when they interview Mike at the worlds.

02-14-16 12:52PM
Ajay
Drawmaster

Are you saying that 20 teams should not be in Selkirk because they also knew that they were not going to the briar? But they were happy to make it to this level and enjoy the experience afforded by a provincial championship stage.

Last edited by Ajay on 02-14-16 at 12:57PM

02-14-16 12:56PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

I disagree with Kevin Martin's comments that the ONLY reason you play in provincials is to make it to nationals, and the ONLY reason you play in nationals is to make it to worlds.

Winning your province is a huge deal - even if you can't attend nationals. Something similar happened to me when I was young in a sport other than curling. I don't think there would be any shame in sending the runner-up to nationals if it came down to it.

Both Dunstone and McEwen will be playing their hearts out for the pride of winning their province.