SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) Final
SCO (Kennedy) (7)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 9:00am PT
Quin/Abre 7th
Pere/Cohe  Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-28-15 08:27AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

The only problem is that the best team is less likely to win the event. How much of a problem is an open question. This is always a balancing act. If you had each playoff matchup take the form of a best of seven series, as they do in other sports, there is an extremely good chance the best team will have won the event. However, that would take away a lot of the drama, not to mention being impractical. The page playoff, or some sort of system with a bye (which is used in football, for example) would improve the chances of the top team in the standings winning, and those teams are usually the better teams. But, as I say, a bit less drama.

If you want to compare to football then take the top 6 teams, and give 1/2 a bye. More chance of a "lesser" team to get hot. Still, one loss and you're done.
If you want the best team during the week to win, just give it to the rr winner.
The "best" team could also falter during the week, and not be the "best" team.

Last edited by guido on 11-28-15 at 08:29AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-28-15 09:16AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i find that the best team usually does win in the end but not always. if you want to state that sweden was the best team there all week you'd be dead wrong but they won in the end.

denmark qualify for worlds. no surprise really. that team was far to good to be in that position. i'd be surprised if they ever were again

11-28-15 09:56AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

It says the Russia / Scotland is being live streamed , but being shown is an old draw 5 game. Is there a way to get the championship game? Thanks.

11-28-15 09:59AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Link to world curling game

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
It says the Russia / Scotland is being live streamed , but being shown is an old draw 5 game. Is there a way to get the championship game? Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqRt_wavcDA

11-28-15 10:00AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay

http://www.worldcurling.org/ecc2015

here you go. live stream is on the front page

11-28-15 10:01AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Didn't think I'd ever be happy watching a curling game with the mute button activated. This morning????? there ya go.

11-28-15 10:05AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

italy qualifies for the world championships over norway. wins best of 3 series 2-1

11-28-15 10:21AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Russia is controlling

Eve needs to take more charge of building the ends..

so far..its all Russia and Scotland are lucky to be even

Go Eve !!

11-28-15 11:44AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Well Done Russian Women

Well deserved win.. Anna Sidorova has worked really hard to reach this level

11-28-15 11:47AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what a game. rally felt like scotland should have won it. that double for 3 in the 8th was what decided the game. if eve makes that scotland has control and more than likely wins

11-28-15 11:49AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what a ****ty day for me though.

scotland and switzerland lose the euros finals and belgium loses the doubles in davis cup, effectively ending the tie. and to the biggest brat in tennis today no less

11-28-15 12:51PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

The two best teams won. Edin has the most firepower while Sidorova is most consistent. I'm really happy for Anna after last years disappointment. Muirhead's miss in 8 the major turning point.

Now on to the main course next week.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

11-28-15 05:46PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by guido
If you want to compare to football then take the top 6 teams, and give 1/2 a bye. More chance of a "lesser" team to get hot. Still, one loss and you're done.
If you want the best team during the week to win, just give it to the rr winner.
The "best" team could also falter during the week, and not be the "best" team.

Yes, but if you want to compare to other sports the playoffs should probably be best of sevens (not one loss and done). My only point is that curling isn't the only sport to reward teams with better records in the playoffs.

To be honest, I don't want the best team to always win. What fun would that be? And as you say, the best team may not be the best team during a week. As I say, it should be and is generally a balancing act between accurately determining the best team and creating drama. No one wants to get rid of the winner take all final because of the awesome drama that is created.

I honestly see the argument for and against the straight semifinal format. I do generally think that it's a shame that a team that went undefeated in the round robin wasn't in the final. Although, Edin probably would have beat him there anyway.

11-28-15 06:58PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

With Edin's win, he is making a strong case at being the best non-Canadian male curler of all-time. As a skip his 4 European titles trail only Hammy McMillan, and his 2 world titles trail only Peja Lindholm and Eigil Ramsfjell (one of his wins was at second). If he isn't already the best, it's only a matter of time.

11-28-15 07:05PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Ana proved she really belongs with the big girls in big bang curling.

BUT FOR TODAY - GREAT JOB TEAM SViiiiip

Anna Sidorva beat Eve in the 2012 Euros final ( 6-5)....

and has 2 World Bronze medals..( and has medalled in four Euros)

11-28-15 07:32PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

They've played 9 times in the past year, with Anna winning 7 times (6 of the last 7).

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

11-28-15 08:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski
With Edin's win, he is making a strong case at being the best non-Canadian male curler of all-time. As a skip his 4 European titles trail only Hammy McMillan, and his 2 world titles trail only Peja Lindholm and Eigil Ramsfjell (one of his wins was at second). If he isn't already the best, it's only a matter of time.

if he keeps going the way he's going he could make a case for best of all time, forget only in european teams. wins another worlds and an olympic gold he'd have a strong case for it

really ulsrud would have to be pretty up there too in a discussion of best ever. 2 world silvers, 1 world gold, olympic silver, 2 european gold and countless silver and bronze through worlds and euros

i also think that sooner or later eve has to realize that whats holding her back is anna. she needs a better 3rd.

Last edited by misty1 on 11-28-15 at 08:45PM

11-29-15 12:53AM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

if he keeps going the way he's going he could make a case for best of all time, forget only in european teams. wins another worlds and an olympic gold he'd have a strong case for it

really ulsrud would have to be pretty up there too in a discussion of best ever. 2 world silvers, 1 world gold, olympic silver, 2 european gold and countless silver and bronze through worlds and euros

i also think that sooner or later eve has to realize that whats holding her back is anna. she needs a better 3rd.

What's Edin's record in the slams? How many has he won... Does Ulsrud have to come through tough Canadian fields in order to have a chance to play for and rack up world medals....Context is required when making the case for "best ever". Muirhead has pretty much an auto-birth to the Olympics and Worlds, so of course her medal count will ultimately be inflated when compared to Canadian teams. If comparisons are made then you have to acknowledge the depth and competition of said countries. If you injected Ulsrud with Sodium Pentothal I'd be surprised if he thought he played the game on the same level as K-Mart or Glenn Howard at their peak. How many medals would Gushue, Jacobs or Koe rack up playing out of Norway...

Think of the pressure these Canadian teams face at the Olympics (especially)or worlds. Even a great team knows they may not get back for awhile - if ever! At this point in time (3 years out) we'd all be shocked if Eve or Anna weren't in Korea. What would that be, three Olympics for Eve before 30? Apples and Oranges.

Last edited by Radio-Man on 11-29-15 at 01:19AM

11-29-15 07:35AM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

There were a few occasions at the 2014 Olympics where Anna Sloan was visibly shaken and upset by the crowd noise and a fan taunting her when she was in the hack.. She isn't as mentally strong as her skip Eve Muirhead

11-29-15 07:56AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man

What's Edin's record in the slams? How many has he won... Does Ulsrud have to come through tough Canadian fields in order to have a chance to play for and rack up world medals....Context is required when making the case for "best ever". Muirhead has pretty much an auto-birth to the Olympics and Worlds, so of course her medal count will ultimately be inflated when compared to Canadian teams. If comparisons are made then you have to acknowledge the depth and competition of said countries. If you injected Ulsrud with Sodium Pentothal I'd be surprised if he thought he played the game on the same level as K-Mart or Glenn Howard at their peak. How many medals would Gushue, Jacobs or Koe rack up playing out of Norway...

Think of the pressure these Canadian teams face at the Olympics (especially)or worlds. Even a great team knows they may not get back for awhile - if ever! At this point in time (3 years out) we'd all be shocked if Eve or Anna weren't in Korea. What would that be, three Olympics for Eve before 30? Apples and Oranges.

anette norberg curled for sweden but does that take away from what she did and discount her credibility as being known as one of if not the best of all time. i dont know to many lists that dont have her in at least the top 3. i have her number one myself..or tied for it with sandra schmirler

as for ulsrud i ..yeah i worded that wrong. what i meant to say is that he deserved to be ackowledged for all he's accmploished and that i would consider him right up there. not the best of all time, im not a fool but i'd have him in the bottom of my top 10. and h

i acknowldge that teams have it a lot harder coming out of canada but that doesnt mean you cant also ackowledge the things a non canadian team did when they got to the worlds. you can give a team all the autobirths they want, it doesnt mean they will win or do great things. look at andy kapp for example or ulrik schmidt..or liudmila privivkova

being from europe doesnt mean teams shouldnt be considered among the best.

i have nordby, norberg, gustafson, ott and schopp in my top 10 on the womens side

i have ulsrud, murdoch and now edin in my top 10 on the mens side

Last edited by misty1 on 11-29-15 at 08:45AM

11-29-15 08:47AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question Peja Lindholm- Sweden

Peja might fit on the Men's list -
Over his two-decade curling playing career, Lindholm won three world championships as a skip, winning in 1997, 2001 and 2004.
He is also a two-time European champion (1998, and 2001) and a is former world junior champion (1989).
In 2011, Lindholm became the coach of the Swedish men's team skipped by Niklas Edin, coaching them in the World Championships.
He also coached the Swedish women's team at the 2010 World Championship. He then became the Swedish national coach in 2015

-------------
Tough to compare curlers from different eras.. Peja appeared in 3 olympics (1998, 2002, 2006)

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-29-15 at 09:16AM

11-29-15 08:59AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Curling in FINland

what effect do you think Markku Uusipaavalniemi had on curling in that country?

U15's team won the European championship in 2000. He is also a two-time World Curling Championships bronze medalist (1998 and 2000) and two-time European Curling Championships bronze medalist (1999 and 2001).
Olympic Silver - 2006

this Euros a Finnish Brother and sister ( KAUSTE) placed 4th and 3rd..

Last edited by HotRocks on 11-29-15 at 09:36AM

11-29-15 09:10AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Curling in FINland

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
what effect do you think Markku Uusipaavalniemi had on curling in that country? U15's team won the European championship in 2000. He is also a two-time World Curling Championships bronze medalist (1998 and 2000) and two-time European Curling Championships bronze medalist (1999 and 2001).

this Euros a Finnish Brother and sister ( KAUSTE) placed 4th and 3rd..

he also won european gold in 2000 and olympic silver in 2010 remember.

I would think he had to have some impact . any time you see a sportsman have success it has to drive you to want it and he was around for so long. cant say specifically though because im not sure

11-29-15 09:12AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Peja Lindholm- Sweden

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Peja might fit on the Men's list -
Over his two-decade curling playing career, Lindholm won three world championships as a skip, winning in 1997, 2001 and 2004.
He is also a two-time European champion (1998, and 2001) and a is former world junior champion (1989).
In 2011, Lindholm became the coach of the Swedish men's team skipped by Niklas Edin, coaching them in the World Championships.
He also coached the Swedish women's team at the 2010 World Championship. He then became the Swedish national coach in 2015

-------------
Tough to compare curlers from different eras.. what would Peja done at an Olympics..?

the olympics seemd to be the bain of his existence. in 3 appearances the best he finished was 4th. the other 2 times he never even got close to playoffs

and yeah, i'd probably have peja in the top 10. thinking about it i'd probably have ulrsud and lindholm tied for 10th.

11-29-15 09:13AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Elisabet Gustafson

My pick as top female curler in history-
not only a pediatric Surgeon but retired world-class curler
Gustafson made her debut onto the world stage at the 1985 European Junior Curling Championships, where she finished in fourth place.

She then skipped one of the most dominant teams of the 1990s, winning four World Curling Championships and four European Curling Championships in the span of eight years.

She received a bronze medal at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano.

In 2012, Gustafson was inducted into the WCF Hall of Fame.