Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Autumn Gold Curling Classic

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-06-18 03:03PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Autumn Gold Curling Classic

After losing to Jones in the infamous 2008 Manitoba Scotties, Einarson lost the next 17 consecutive matches.

But after 10 years the tide has suddenly turned; Einarson won the next two ( 2 ) games in April '18 and today,with her new team, she just added one more.

At this rate we could well see these two rivals with identical W-L records as early as 2028!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-07-18 12:47PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Having won her last three events this season, Einarson was on a high coming into the Autumn Gold. Her first three games in this event were walkovers; she lost only a total of four points.

Then, in draw 7, she met Walker and her new team of veterans. Everything was going fine until the 6th end when Walker hit her with a 4 in the sixth end and then followed that up with 3 in the final end.

7 points in 3 ends. Go figure!

And currently she is on the ice against Homan. Good luck with that!

10-07-18 09:08PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Cool, an all-Japanese match for a spot in the playoffs!

Last edited by hailstone on 10-07-18 at 09:14PM

10-07-18 09:50PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Whoa - 4 tough matchups for the C-event qualifiers! Matsumura-Fujisawa, Carey-Jones, Gim-Einarson, Sinclair - Kovaleva
3 Asian teams! Russia-USA matchup. Manitoba Roots Rivalry. And Can Einarson down the tough Korean team (not Oly's Silver medalist Kim EunJung though)

10-08-18 01:14PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

While I've never really paid much attention to the US women's curling scene, Sinclair's impressive rise last year to number 9 in the OOM's world rankings did pique my interest.

To date this season, however, Sinclair has had a troublesome start, failing to reach the playoffs in the Elite 10 and losing in the QF's of the Shorty Jenkins. And yesterday everything kept unravelling when she was eliminated from the Autumn Classic prior to the playoffs. The team must be disappointed - and concerned.

Actually the early setbacks should not be a surprise to anybody. Last year Vicky Persinger, her 2nd , was the Lynchpin of Sinclair's rink. I was expecting/hoping she would be "promoted" to Sinclair's 3rd this year and was reasonably certain this would enable the team to continue its upward climb on the OOM ladder.

But this did not happen. Instead they/somebody - I don't know who - decided it would be okay if Sinclair's best player was removed from the team altogether ! ! ! Subsequently it was announced that Persinger would become Christensen's 3rd for the 2018/19 season.

This change never made a whole lot of sense to me or a lot of other folks, and it still doesn't; but perhaps it will as the season progresses. We shall see.

10-08-18 05:18PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Manitoba rivalry - go Einarson go

10-08-18 11:22PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Congrats Einarson Team. Best of luck in the upcoming events. Love to see the winning smiles on the ladies faces. Keep at it.

10-09-18 09:53AM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

"At this rate we could well see these two rivals with identical W-L records as early as 2028!"

OOPS! Make that 2022.

10-16-18 07:58PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Path to the Playoffs

Looking back at the draw for the teams in the Autumn Gold Classic and specifically the paths that Homan, Einarson and Jones each took to reach the QF's/Playoffs, I'd like to know how the ranking system was used by the event officials to ensure the draw would be "balanced".

If you look strictly at OOM ratings, Homan defeated Just (OOM 117), Christensen ( OOM 19 ), Rocque ( OOM 24), Einarson ( OOM 5), and Fujisawa (OOM 10 ), that's a total of 175 OOM points to reach the QF's.

Einarson defeated DeJong ( OOM 71), Carey ( OOM 16), Jones ( (OOM 2 ), Koana (OOM 65), and Gim (OOM30), a total of 184 points to reach the QF's.

However, Jones' path turned out to be significantly easier. She defeated Muise (OOM 180), Marthaller (OOM 47), Thompson (OOM 67), Brown (OOM 85) and Carey (OOM 16), a total of 395 to reach the QF's.

Query: Was this huge variance the result of event officials not using the rankings properly to ensure a "balanced" draw, or was it simply an anomaly?

10-16-18 09:16PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Rankings

I've noticed discrepancies in the past as well. Sometimes it's the draw being made up too far in advance that doesn't properly reflect the up to date rankings. I've also noticed draws made up to absolutely give the local teams the advantage to advance. And, I've seen draws that make no sense at all as if they were drawn from a hat. Maybe there should be a set format for all spiels to follow the same guidelines to make every spiel rankings for the draw as equal as possible. I see no reason to give an unfair advantage to the so-called favourites, or local hopefuls. I know sometimes draws have to be made up in advance for travel arrangements, but, make the draw and advise the teams the time slot but not the opponent until the points are updated.

10-16-18 09:57PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Re: Rankings

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I've noticed discrepancies in the past as well. Sometimes it's the draw being made up too far in advance that doesn't properly reflect the up to date rankings. I've also noticed draws made up to absolutely give the local teams the advantage to advance. And, I've seen draws that make no sense at all as if they were drawn from a hat. Maybe there should be a set format for all spiels to follow the same guidelines to make every spiel rankings for the draw as equal as possible. I see no reason to give an unfair advantage to the so-called favourites, or local hopefuls. I know sometimes draws have to be made up in advance for travel arrangements, but, make the draw and advise the teams the time slot but not the opponent until the points are updated.

I've wondered about this, for other spiels as well, namely some of the GSOC events have headscratching draws.