M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-06-14 04:01PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Re: Historical Brier Observations:

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Johnny Mo/Cotter - still getting their smoke signals in order, Morris has found lightning in a bottle with the 39 yr old last brick tosser Mr. Cotter.

Three of the greatest Skip/3rd combinations in Canadian curling history - going down to a series of historical
showdowns!

Gimme a break dude, how can you say that Morris and Cotter are one of the greatest combos in the history of curling when they haven't played together for even a year? You need medication!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 67.71.2.211

03-06-14 04:08PM
Unregistered

Stoughton and Nedohin did pretty good at the skins game this past year, I think you would have to rate them as the greatest backend duo in history too?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 67.71.2.211

03-06-14 05:00PM
Unregistered

Brad and Kevin???? Some skips have successfully merged glen/ wayne, koe/ Simmons, cotter/Morris, however I think Brads ego is much too big for such an arrangement with Martin who would be top dog.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.54.104.108

03-06-14 05:42PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Bslsdon is brutal. That back swing belongs in a museum.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-06-14 06:23PM
Unregistered

Hey Decade, When the camera pans the players in the hack at the Briar can you wave at it so we can watch your delivery please? Thx

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-06-14 07:28PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

Re: Historical Brier Observations:

quote:

Three of the greatest Skip/3rd combinations in Canadian curling history - going down to a series of historical
showdowns!

Are you kidding? Do you honestly believe this? Three of the greatest in history? Johnny Mo and Cotter aren't even the best pairing Morris has been a part of. These three aren't better than:

-Kevin Martin, John Morris
-Kevin Martin, Don Walchuk
-Russ Howard, Glenn Howard
-Glenn Howard, Wayne Middaugh
-Rick Folk, Pat Ryan
-Ed Werenich, John Kawaja

etc. etc.

03-06-14 07:35PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Empty-Hello Hello hello

Does anyone know the population of Kamloops. Looks like 200 people watching the afternoon draw on a Thursday afternoon. Unbelievable. There were 10 times that many in Halifax for a Monday morning draw. What's up?

03-06-14 08:00PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Greg has another game where he had his chances to win it, down to 4-5 has to win out and have a complete collapse by Stevie.

03-06-14 08:08PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler
Greg has another game where he had his chances to win it, down to 4-5 has to win out and have a complete collapse by Stevie.

its definitely possible. Saskatchewan has to play BC and New Brunswick. BC should beat them and the New Brunswick game will be tight

I still don't know how Ontario lost that game. Greg was just awful himself, his team gave him every opportunity to win

that double for 4 in the 8th was almost unmissable and for some reason he chose that weight

6-5 is still okay, I definitely predict it will be.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-07-14 01:15AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thoughts?

Does Alberta's final game really affect their first-place finish? According to their coach, their DSC record already assured them of a spot in the 1-2 regardless of draw 16 results (or the outcome of tomorrow's game vs. Quebec). Since a 9-2 record would put them in a split with Manitoba and BC, they'd be given first-place by virtue of having the best LSD numbers. Or do I misunderstand that?

Also, if Quebec and Saskatchewan do lose and the four-way cluster-tie occurs -- can anyone explain how that tie-breaker would be arranged? (It would seem New Brunswick and Newfoundland would have a better head-to-head record in the group over Quebec and Sasky.)

If it turns out an Alberta win isn't as consequential for hammer and choice of stones in the 1-2 game as is the current belief, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tell Twitter right away...

03-07-14 02:20AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I believe in a 4-way cluster-tie, they play a mini-single-knockout for the last spot. Last happened in 2005, when Colleen Jones's STOH win streak came to an end.

Last edited by doubletakeout on 03-07-14 at 03:22AM

03-07-14 09:02AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Muirhead didn't throw that game.

Koe wont throw this game.

As I've mentioned before I spent five years playing in the Quebec provincial championships for badminton.

In badminton at the world level there is a tradition of throwing games on purpose. It is done with everyone's tacit knowledge and it is done for the following reason. If you win you face your country mates in the semi-final. If you lose then they play in one semi and you play in the other. As I said this is a well known practice and no one has a problem with it because, well, it makes perfect sense. This gives the chance for both teams to get a gold or silver. Whereas if they play in the semi the best they can do is gold and bronze. It also has honour in it if you look at the perspective that it also risks not having a team in the final.

This tradition blew up tempest tea pot style at the last summer Olympics when the crowd, not knowing the the sport, booed wildly when they recognized what was going on. Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion and judgements about this tradition. But enough about badminton.

In soccer we have seen more than one 0-0 tie that allows both teams to go through in the various 'Cups'. There is a great deal of huffing and puffing by the teams negatively affected by this tactic. And much talk by commentators about the need to "do something" about this "dishonourable" blah-blah-blah. Short of shooting the offenders what can possibly be done?

Curling is VERY MUCH of the 'on the other hand' when it comes to these kinds of tactics.

Just recently at the Trials Koe went 0-5 to start. He was done. Playing out the string he killed both Stoughton and Howard's chances. In the Howard game making a draw to the pin on last rock to do so. Glenn shook his hand said nice shot and expected nothing else or less.

In curling the tradition of going out to win every game regardless of the standings is long standing. Right up there with shaking hands at the beginning and the end of every game and the ubiquitous "good curling" wish to your opponents. Right up there with sincere appreciation when they make a great shot. Heck when they make nothing but great shots and beat the crap out of you.

What curling DOES NOT accept is anyone who would throw a game to benefit themselves. Not even if it was Koe v Koe or Howard v Howard. And one of them was out of the playoffs and the other needed to win to be in the playoffs. Not even then.

I remember very clearly the reputation Kevin Martin earned for himself when he brought out the corn brooms. It took him ten years at least to rehabilitate his reputation after that stunt. And even still there are definitely old Scots and old Canadians who will never change their minds.

Honour and fair play is taken very seriously in curling.99.99% of all players would rather lose than risk their reputation. Would rather be known as a "straight-shooter" than any other single achievement. Up to and including winning the GD Brier.

The idea that they would risk that rep for the miniscule and entirely questionable gain of who you are playing in the playoffs is risible.

And that is as nicely as I can put this.

03-07-14 09:07AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Not so sure about Muirhead...her record against the Canadians was pretty strong and she missed an easy shot.

Throwing games...while there are gentlemen and ladies in Curling who would never do it, with the stakes getting higher in curling and a newer generation with different standards than the oldtimers - I wouldn't be so sure about manipulation to get in the right position at a Brier or Scotties.

03-07-14 09:17AM
StonePunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for StonePunter Click here to Send StonePunter a Private Message Find more posts by StonePunter Add StonePunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
If Koe is absolutely assured of 1st in page then indeed he's in the "Muirhead" spot.

[...]

If he wins he gets last rock and Stoughton in the 1-2 game
If he loses he gets last rock and Morris in the 1-2 game.

[...]

And in a strange way Stoughton's team might not mind. They're hot as flapjacks off the grill right now and they would get one advantage - last rock in the 3-4 game. Jeff lost the 3 way tie for 1st at 9-2 cuz of his putrid record in the draw to the buttons which determine order.

Not exactly.

Given my interpretation is correct -- and that's a big "if" -- Koe has no more choice in his positioning. He's won first place overall in the round robin. He will have hammer and choice of rocks in the 1-2 game. Even provided he shows up this morning more hung over than his brother and plays Quebec to the same score the last game they played. (Menard won 8-3 in a 2011 match in Kingston.)

While this doesn't make for great TSN drama, it appears to be fact. If Coach King told the TSN host the truth, the same valuation would apply to all three teams if they finish 9-2. (FWIW, I think this also means BC has no chance at that 1-2 game.)

Also, even if Alberta outright concedes the game, a 4-way cluster-tie would still require a New Brunswick win over Saskatchewan (giving Sasky its fifth loss).

Normally this is the time that Gerry (or any number of people more sage on this subject) show up and clarify everything in < 140 characters...

03-07-14 09:18AM
Unregistered

quote:
If Koe is absolutely assured of 1st in page then indeed he's in the "Muirhead" spot.

Remember, Muirhead at the Olympics? She had a choice of who to play in the Page. Flip her last shot a bit out and she gets Jennifer Jones. Make it and she gets the Swedes. She chose Jones. Didn't work out so well for the Princess, did it?

Now Koe has virtually the same decision. Mind you, Eve Muirhead only had an end to make her decisions. Koe has had 12 hours and now this a.m.'s game with Menard (Que)

If he allows his team a run-thru and a low percentage performance, he allows Menard to get in at 7-4 and eliminates a pack of hungry 6-5 teams.

If he wins he gets last rock and Stoughton in the 1-2 game
If he loses he gets last rock and Morris in the 1-2 game.

Frankly, I'd pick Morris and let Stoughton have to get thru Menard to work himself into the semi-final.

Koe has been the top team overall for the week so a final round loss would be shocking but not surprising given whats at stake.

Stoughton has been the best team in Kamloops the last 5 games with Jeff starting to shoot the lights out. Koe might be in a spot where losing gives him a slight advantage.

And in a strange way Stoughton's team might not mind. They're hot as flapjacks off the grill right now and they would get one advantage - last rock in the 3-4 game. Jeff lost the 3 way tie for 1st at 9-2 cuz of his putrid record in the draw to the buttons which determine order.

btw - how do you throw a game when a million are watching. Its not easy but a little extra ice here, a bit of tight ice there, a sail-thru the rings in a critical spot, etc. Not hard to go from 90% curling to 80%. Most won't notice. I will!

Interesting commentary, completely ignoring the fact there is another 4 loss team on the scoreboard. There is a likelyhood that this game determines if there is a tiebreaker or elminates QU altogether. If Koe has the chance to eliminate a former brier champion, you don't think he'd be all over it?

I don't see Koe *throwing* a game, but he may see fit to bring in his 5th for a meaningless game to the standings. I hope thats not the case. I believe winning breads more winning and vice versa. As soon as you let your foot off the gas and don't care about the outcome, you lose a little soemthing and it shows in your next games. Plenty of examples in sport to show that happens.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 167.129.240.20

03-07-14 09:30AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

Can the essence of the question not get lost in a bunch of people debating semantics of "throwing" a game?

Is Kevin Koe now locked into first place overall, regardless of the outcome of this morning's game?

At any rate, it'll be Mudryk calling the game, so we won't get to chuckle each time Vic mumbles something about not knowing what the positions will be.

And one more thing: Why is this kind of info under CCA lock and key anyway? Are we not sophisticated enough to consume DSC numbers? If you're looking to push a conspiracy theory, shut up about fixed game outcomes and ask why you're not allowed to see advanced stats.

03-07-14 09:45AM
Unregistered

I think if Koe loses this morning against Quebec then the big three will all be at 9-2, with BC having beat Alberta, Alberta beating Manitoba and Manitoba beating BC. Then I think it comes down to the Skill Based scores. Best if Alberta wins, Manitoba second and BC loses to whomever wins the tiebreaker/tiebreakers and breaks the crowd and the CCA's heart.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.66.94.54

03-07-14 09:54AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
From curling.ca news
Its kind of interesting, Kevin (Koe) can actually pick who he wants to play, said Manitoba skip Jeff Stoughton. If he loses he plays B.C., if he wins he plays us. But if he wins he gets hammer and colour of rocks and thats pretty important so Im sure hell be out to win.

Can't challenge that, right?

I thought certain that once you broke a three-way tie common in head-to-head games using the DSC, the other tie (between the two remaining teams) was their head-to-head record. (Make sense?) In other words: All three teams end 9-2 with a split head-to-head record. Alberta is given 1st overall by virtue of those "Skill Based" scores (mentioned above). Then Manitoba is given 2nd place over BC because, well, they beat them head-to-head.

This is more convoluted than mid-1990s NFL playoff scenaria...

03-07-14 10:16AM
Unregistered

If Koe loses, he will get hammer tonight but not choice of stones. I would think he wants both.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.38.59.162

03-07-14 10:45AM
Unregistered

quote:

Interesting. Is there a source/link for this rule?

No, I don't have a source or link. You will have to trust me. But essentially, Koe needs to have a better record than his opponent to get both. If they have the same record, he gets a choice and would take last rock.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.38.59.162

03-07-14 10:45AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Interesting. Is there a source/link for this rule?

Ibid.

Found this: BUY the CCA's Official Rule Book!

Really CCA? We're a growth industry and you've got the rule book behind a pay-wall? Why does the WCF hand theirs out for free but you need almost $6 to pipe me a PDF?

At any rate, I thought hammer and choice were both given to the #1 Q after RR...

03-07-14 10:51AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

No, I don't have a source or link. You will have to trust me. But essentially, Koe needs to have a better record than his opponent to get both. If they have the same record, he gets a choice and would take last rock.

Ok, take back what I said. I'd pay more than $6 to see this written out in any kind of rules language that would get approval from CCA's lawyers.

03-07-14 11:03AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by StonePunter

Ok, take back what I said. I'd pay more than $6 to see this written out in any kind of rules language that would get approval from CCA's lawyers.

This has been the rule for years.
You need a better win/ loss record to get both.Stone selection is very important and Koe will want both.
If it ends up a 3 way tie for forst has it been detemined the LSD ranking is Koe, Stout,Morris?
Koe has a game left to play yet.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179

03-07-14 11:13AM
StonePunter
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

If it ends up a 3 way tie for forst has it been detemined the LSD ranking is Koe, Stout,Morris?
Koe has a game left to play yet.

Posted a link above from Brian Mudryk quoting Jamie King as saying they (Alberta) had already qualified for the 1-2 game before last night's draw 16 games. So, yeah, I'd say he did the math. (With one throw-away number out of your eleven, it is possible to clinch that DSC before the final draw or even the final two...)

03-07-14 11:17AM
Unregistered

quote:
I remember in the 90's Vic Peters of Manitoba got caught up in the same 3-way tie for 1st scenario.

He somehow got screwed out of first or second and wasn't able to defend his Brier title.

Never forget seeing the Manitoba Curling Assoc. rep on the CCA, Z Saper helping to screw his own boy out of a higher seeding.

In those days they didn't have the rules written out clearly like they do today.

Once again you have your facts all wrong. Why do you post?

It was 1993 and it was a 4 way tie for first with all the teams having thesame record. 8-3 BC, Man. N.Ont and Ont. Even thou Peters had a better record against the other 3 playoff teams he can't be given a bye to the final. This would give him a 2 game advantage over 2 teams with the same record.
What they did and was correct they played 2 tiebreaker games to determine seeding for the playoffs.
Howard beat Folk in the final. Peters was so upset by the rule he didn't win another game.
The rule was very clear.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179