Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-21-14 12:43PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Why can't Team Koe still be Team Canada. I'm pretty sure there isn't a rule that says you have to play together all season to go back to the Brier.
The only way this wouldn't work is if Team Koe wins provs, then Team Canada just has to find another player.
Even if Carter quits, Team Canada would still have 3, as long as Koe doesn't win provs.

koe cant be Canada because he himself is leaving his team. You have to return with at least 3 of the same players and he isn't.

simmons, Rycroft and thiessen are sticking together and so will be eligible to return to the brier as team canada

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-21-14 12:44PM
Unregistered

quote:

koe cant be Canada because he himself is leaving his team. You have to return with at least 3 of the same players and he isn't.

simmons, Rycroft and thiessen are sticking together and so will be eligible to return to the brier as team canada

it would be pretty ridiculous to play all season with someone else and then play only the brier together. besides the other 3 probably wouldn't even want to do that

03-21-14 01:01PM
Unregistered

quote:

it would be pretty ridiculous to play all season with someone else and then play only the brier together. besides the other 3 probably wouldn't even want to do that

They took 2 months off before provincials this year. Pretty good outcome.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.197.71.189

03-21-14 01:03PM
Unregistered

quote:

They took 2 months off before provincials this year. Pretty good outcome.

they played together though didn't they. You honestly think the other 3 are going to want to curl with kevin again for that event alone after he's already told them that he was leaving them to form another team?

that would be really awkward

03-21-14 01:03PM
Unregistered

quote:

Also, I recall a few years ago a fellow by the name of Howard won an olympic gold medal doing something very similar.

03-21-14 01:08PM
Unregistered

quote:

they played together though didn't they. You honestly think the other 3 are going to want to curl with kevin again for that event alone after he's already told them that he was leaving them to form another team?

that would be really awkward

Not awkward at all, they aren't junior high girls.

03-21-14 01:09PM
Unregistered

quote:

Also, I recall a few years ago a fellow by the name of Howard won an olympic gold medal doing something very similar.

that's a different situation entirely. Brad had brought russ in specifically to help him win the Olympics. he did not curl with him for years then dump him to form another team and then ask to get back together to honor that team Canada bonus.

03-21-14 01:11PM
Unregistered

quote:

Not awkward at all, they aren't junior high girls.

bottom line is kevin made his decision already and has to live with it. he knew going in that he'd give up the right to be team Canada at next years brier and that still didn't change gis mind

03-21-14 01:23PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Won't it be strange for Koe team at the world's knowing that the team is breaking up?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-21-14 01:26PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Won't it be strange for Koe team at the world's knowing that the team is breaking up?

I'm guessing that they already knew at The Brier that they were probably breaking up, but it didn't seem to affect their performance too much.

03-21-14 01:46PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by alex

Don't you mean, would it be awesome to win worlds, and going out as the best team of 2013-14? Every team will end up disbanding, from a multitude of different reasons, so why not become the champions of the world right before you do?

03-21-14 01:49PM
Unregistered

so if laing is curling with koe and we can assume he'll play second and hebert and kennedy are really joining him as well does that mean kennedy will play 3rd?

03-21-14 02:08PM
Unregistered

No, Hebert will play third. :|

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.141.201.207

03-21-14 02:11PM
Unregistered

quote:
No, Hebert will play third. :|

Yeah!!!

03-21-14 02:23PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Kennedy will play third

And like Middaugh when he moved to skip, or moved to third, will instantly become arguably the best player at his position in the game. As Kennedy was when he played second. He is more than good he is flat out brilliant. I'm really looking forward to seeing him go toe to toe with Meade and Middaugh. (providing one or both don't retire of course)

03-21-14 02:23PM
Unregistered

That lineup, if they get along well, could end up being one of the best teams in history. Kennedy has always had world class shotmaking skills and will instantly be a top 5 third in the world...if not top 3. Lots can happen between now and the Calgary 2018 Olympics though.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.27.44

03-21-14 02:55PM
Unregistered

In my opinion kennedy was slipping. Commentators would say all the time when he was in the 60's or 70's that we didn't see that that often when the reality was that it was happening more and more

maybe a change of team will refresh him

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-21-14 03:09PM
Unregistered

quote:
Getting quite sick of the 20 professional curlers parachuting around .. I like watching them but i would like to see them banned from the briar and worlds .. Trouble is China , Sweden, Russia Etc are also pros ....

I also thinking that some of the dumb shots they call is due to an IQ problem. .. These guys seem to think the grass is greener on the other side of the street....... I wont even go into the romantic connections..... Next a new breed of bald super curlers ?

Remind me to send am email to the CRA asking for clarification on why the 20 individuals arent taxed on their earnings including winnings .... Curling is killing itself as a spectator sport in person, and tv is making it slow with about three lousy commercials that i find offensive ... Idiot throwing laptop, jj repetitive one, and silly get me toilet paper one .. I see these and start surfing...... Kudos to m&m , tims, ford, and the other good commercials btw

and if i strayed from topic and have upset a couple of posters" frankly i dont really give a darn "

If some commercials bother you so much then do as I do, take them out of the equation. I turn the channel when they are about to come on and wait until I am sure they are finished before turning back. Voila, no problem.

Now, back on topic. I agree that Kennedy will be refreshed with a change of team. This is true for most curlers I imagine. But the true test for longevity is more than talent. The true test for success that will potentially last until the next Olympic Trials is chemistry.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.201.149

03-21-14 03:10PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

New Team Koe best in history?

I'm sure they'd settle for best of the next four years...lol....Best in history is a really tough hill to climb. Especially when you got to compete against yourself...:-) The 2008-2010 run by Team Martin being I'd say the greatest run by any team in the curling is an Olympic sport era.

But who will challenge them?

Well the most obvious place to start is that Jacobs is actually THE team, and the one that needs challenging. Jacobs has been for the last year the standard by which all others are measured

Second best over the last year has been either Team Howard or Team Koe depending on how you measure these things. Both teams will be different. Team Koe has on paper at least got an upgrade. Team Howard? I don't see how you get better than Brett when Kennedy is not available. And even this problem is made small compared to the question of Middaugh. If he retires Glenn may not be able to retain top five status much less top 2 or 3. My guess is he will play. Hey maybe Richie will come back and play second.

Team McEwen. When Glenn finally exits stage right this will almost certainly be the team I'm pulling for. Like Glenn they have taken a large number of really painful beats in finals. Their time will come. (or they will be the Vikings/Bills of the curling world. There are worse fates, not that any immediately spring to mind:-)

Team Stoughton. If they stay intact, and Glenn and Kevin have horses of a different colour, become the defacto number two. Johnny Meade, Marc Nichols, Reid Caruthers, this is a team that when they are on a roll can't be beat by anyone. When they took out Glenn in 2011 to win the Brier and then the world's no one could touch them. They are magic when they are on and the fact that they are a 'hall of fame' team to boot is indicative of the fact that they are on a lot of the time.

After that it's Gushue Morris, Cotter, Laycock.......in other words Jacobs, McEwen and Koe will be the three amigos for some time to come. (once the first three amigos ride off into the sunset. whenever that may be. can't be too late far as I'm concerned:-)

Last edited by JB42 on 03-21-14 at 03:36PM

03-21-14 03:12PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

who's playing for Kevin?

seems his front end Hebert and Kennedy , along with David have seen futures elsewhere ?... for their own reasons ofcourse (sarcastic)

03-21-14 03:26PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Parachuting?

Tired of the same 20 curlers parachuting around?

Ummmmm.......aside from Johhny Mo who are we talking about?

Glenn's had the same three players since 2001 and Wayne 'parachuting' in from a five minute drive away after Richie retired.

Nicols retired for a couple of years and moved to Winnipeg to play with Jeff. Is that what you mean by parachuting?

Brad's younguns? There was relocation from PEI but they can hardly be the '20 professionals' you are thinking about.

Team Martin? Nope. Stoughton? Nope. McEwen? Nope. Koe? Is Kennedy and Hebert moving from Edmonton to Calgary what is being talked about? Heck didn't they used to play with Koe before they moved to Team Martin? This is more like wife swapping than parachuting....Kevin's just getting his mates back from on loan to, well, Kevin...lol....

I can imagine parachuting getting out of hand. And I can imagine it having a negative effect on the public's perception of the game. But I cannot see that we are anywhere near that point.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-21-14 at 03:29PM

03-21-14 03:29PM
Unregistered

quote:
im just confused as to how brent is moving to alberta to curl with a different team when he has a kid with a woman who lives in Manitoba. He's moving further away

and a kid in Ontario.

you go where the work is. An amazing player looking for the next amazing team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

03-21-14 03:33PM
JB42
Drawmaster

According to Google maps....

It's a 15 hour drive from Winnipeg to Calgary, and a 21 hour drive from Toronto To Winnipeg. So whatever else might be said about this move farther aint' one:-)

03-21-14 03:39PM
curlergrandma is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlergrandma Click here to Send curlergrandma a Private Message Find more posts by curlergrandma Add curlergrandma to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlergrandma
Knee-Slider

interesting that this "news" came out now

03-21-14 03:40PM
Unregistered

I doubt Brent will actually move to Calgary. He will just pull a Morris/Simmons and pretend he works or lives there.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.211.34.89