CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-14 02:59PM
jonren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonren Click here to Send jonren a Private Message Find more posts by jonren Add jonren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonren
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think the Brier already has good representation of the best teams in the country..

This year for example 7 of the 12 teams are in the Top 15 on CTRS this season..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-14 04:02PM
Curlerfan2003 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlerfan2003 Click here to Send Curlerfan2003 a Private Message Find more posts by Curlerfan2003 Add Curlerfan2003 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlerfan2003
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here is another point should it have not fallen on the BC curling association to verify all of Johns info before letting him enter into playdowns? With the relegation round happening at the Brier dont you think some of the Provinces and Territories that statistically dont do well at the Brier wouldnt turn a blind eye to letting teams parachute into there province if it could give them a really good shot at playoffs and or winning the Brier?

03-18-14 04:13PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

We used to go to the Brier every year and the first thing we did was go the the booth for the next years host and buy our tickets, not knowing who would be there......the Brier is so much more than the teams.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.147.178.163

03-18-14 04:38PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

More than the teams....

It is much more than the teams as it is currently constituted. It is provincial pride. Pride of place, pride of community. It is a snapshot of the nation.

Strong provinces, not so strong provinces, everyone represented regardless of relative strength from sea to shining sea. Goliaths and Davids. Upsets, as always, providing the best story lines. Nova Scotia beats Alberta. Quebec beats Ontario. Saskatchewan scratches and claws to regain its glory days and wears its heart on its sleeve, the province that cares most deeply for the game. The Sasktel webstreaming channel this year for their provincial was a marvel. The NWT/Yukon thrilled when they make the playoffs. One team at least who would be thrilled to take home a medal of any colour.

A Brier without Nova Scotia or Saskatchewan or Newfoundland after Gushue will not be the same. Nova Scotia, the land that houses the first university in North America, and more universities per capita than any place in the land. Saskatchewan where single sheeters in quonset huts dotted the landscape bringing farmers and communities together. Helping all to weather the eternity that is a winter on the prairies.

Newfoundland, still not sure they did the right thing joining Confederation. Need no further reasons to doubt their choice. The rock, its people, its sense of humour, its music, its entertainers, a quintessential part of the fabric that is Canada. The Brier did well to reflect the light of our communities and our provinces, and will be diminished by dimming this light.

And how much less Canadian in essence will a Brier without representation from the great white north be? It's hard to measure, but certain to know. It is a game of ice for god's sake.

It is not I think a mortal blow in this case, albeit a grievous one. The Team Canada concept I mean. I would like to see it abandoned but be that as it may. The Brier needs no further assaults on the very thing that makes it most precious. The provinces coming together to celebrate our common Canadian identity, and our disparate regional ones. And of course coming to compete for the right to bring back the national banner to our province, our communities, and our curling clubs.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-18-14 at 05:10PM

03-18-14 04:46PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jonren
I think the Brier already has good representation of the best teams in the country..

This year for example 7 of the 12 teams are in the Top 15 on CTRS this season..

56% is not ever a strong arguement.

03-18-14 04:49PM
jonren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonren Click here to Send jonren a Private Message Find more posts by jonren Add jonren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonren
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade

58.3%

Also, if you go up to the top 20 then there would be 8 out of 20 on CTRS = 66.6%

03-18-14 05:15PM
C_Hodgy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for C_Hodgy Click here to Send C_Hodgy a Private Message Find more posts by C_Hodgy Add C_Hodgy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_Hodgy
Drawmaster

Re: More than the teams....

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
It is much more than the teams as it is currently constituted. It is provincial pride. Pride of place, pride of community. It is a snapshot of the nation.

Strong provinces, not so strong provinces, everyone represented regardless of relative strength from sea to shining sea. Goliaths and Davids. Upsets, as always, providing the best story lines. Nova Scotia beats Alberta. Quebec beats Ontario. Saskatchewan scratches and claws to regain its glory days and wears its heart on its sleeve, the province that cares most deeply for the game. The Sasktel webstreaming channel this year for their provincial was a marvel. The NWT/Yukon thrilled when they make the playoffs. One team at least who would be thrilled to take home a medal of any colour.

A Brier without Nova Scotia or Saskatchewan or Newfoundland after Gushue will not be the same. Nova Scotia, the land that houses the first university in North America, and more universities per capita than any place in the land. Saskatchewan where single sheeters in quonset huts dotted the landscape bringing farmers and communities together. Helping all to weather the eternity that is a winter on the prairies.

Newfoundland, still not sure they did the right thing joining Confederation. Need no further reasons to doubt their choice. The rock, its people, its sense of humour, its music, its entertainers, a quintessential part of the fabric that is Canada. The Brier did well to reflect the light of our communities and our provinces, and will be diminished by dimming this light.

And how much less Canadian in essence will a Brier without representation from the great white north be? It's hard to measure, but certain to know. It is a game of ice for god's sake.

It is not I think a mortal blow in this case, albeit a grievous one. The Team Canada concept I mean. I would like to see it abandoned but be that as it may. The Brier needs no further assaults on the very thing that makes it most precious. The provinces coming together to celebrate our common Canadian identity, and our disparate regional ones. And of course coming to compete for the right to bring back the national banner to our province, our communities, and our curling clubs.

Damn right.You captured my thoughts on what the Brier represents. I support this.

-Hodgy

03-18-14 05:21PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

I am pretty sure close to 100% of the teams in the top 50 CTRS entered playdowns. They all had their chance, the same chance that I had (currently ranked NA on the official CTRS list). The Brier is more than just 12 teams that get together and play a round robin and and playoffs. It is a process, that so far every team has had to go through to get to. A process that anyone can enter, and in theory everyone has about the same chance. If you don't make it you were not good enough that day and someone else was.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.71.103.110

03-18-14 05:58PM
Unregistered

With the host province getting a berth in the Brier I wonder if you will see the smaller provinces applying to host a Brier?
Will the CCA turn them down?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179

03-18-14 06:12PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

re Host province

The CCA whatever else it might be is not completely without a clue. Host provinces have a guaranteed entry. A common occurrence in other sports. E.g. World Cup.

03-18-14 08:09PM
Unregistered

I love the Brier for all the reasons stated in many of the posts above. The only problem I have is with the limiting nature of team composition for a tournament that selects our national champion. All teams, regardless of how they are constituted based on residency, should have a chance to compete in the process. As such, I think the introduction of a Team Canada is a good idea, but should instead be chosen from a separate playdown of teams that do not meet any specific provincial residency requirement. Thus, ANY team in Canada would have a chance to compete for a chance to win the Brier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.248.177.2

03-18-14 08:13PM
Unregistered

My question was will the CCA allow the smaller provinces to bid for a Brier? Not would they deny them a spot

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179

03-18-14 08:28PM
JB42
Drawmaster

re Host provinces

Smaller provinces will be allowed to bid on holding a Brier. Upon winning that bid they will then hold the Brier. If they are not otherwise qualified they will be guaranteed a spot.

03-18-14 08:32PM
Raywaterhouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Raywaterhouse Find more posts by Raywaterhouse Add Raywaterhouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raywaterhouse
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: More than the teams....

quote:
Originally posted by C_Hodgy

Damn right.You captured my thoughts on what the Brier represents. I support this.

-Hodgy

Sorry the National champs should be the best of the best on that week of play ...teams should need to qualify just like the Masters , Pga , British open ....This assures the best teams , the best crowds , tv. and sponsors ...

You can always make a b and c event for those lower seeded teams ...

03-18-14 09:37PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: More than the teams....

quote:
Originally posted by Raywaterhouse

Sorry the National champs should be the best of the best on that week of play ...teams should need to qualify just like the Masters , Pga , British open ....This assures the best teams , the best crowds , tv. and sponsors ...

Wow - I was just going to say I love the Masters because of the history. No way would Mike Weir qualify for this event (he would be relegated), yet he'll be there (as will Fred Couples, Ben Crenshaw, Tom Watson, JM Olazabal, Ian Woosman, Craig Stadler...) I don't hear any complaints about those fellahs being at that show.

The Brier has proven to have the best crowds, even, as pointed out earlier, in 2002 (the first year of the slam-boycott, 4th highest Brier attendance), and 2005 (a Brier light on 'name' teams, highest ever Brier attendance). The Brier event draws the fans in, not the teams.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.252.12.103

03-18-14 09:52PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: More than the teams....

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Wow - I was just going to say I love the Masters because of the history. No way would Mike Weir qualify for this event (he would be relegated), yet he'll be there (as will Fred Couples, Ben Crenshaw, Tom Watson, JM Olazabal, Ian Woosman, Craig Stadler...) I don't hear any complaints about those fellahs being at that show.

The Brier has proven to have the best crowds, even, as pointed out earlier, in 2002 (the first year of the slam-boycott, 4th highest Brier attendance), and 2005 (a Brier light on 'name' teams, highest ever Brier attendance). The Brier event draws the fans in, not the teams.

Did not draw the fans this year!

03-19-14 12:25PM
Unregistered

This thread no longer has anything to do with team changes for next year thanks to the last page of posters taking this way off the rails.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.150.5.2

03-19-14 12:39PM
Unregistered

yeah can we get back on topic please

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-19-14 12:50PM
JB42
Drawmaster

Damn good thing I posted my thoughts on how to increase attendance in a new thread....lol.....

03-21-14 10:42AM
Unregistered

Just read an article where Glen Howard said Lainger is moving West to play with Team Koe

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.11.75.26

03-21-14 11:01AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Just read an article where Glen Howard said Lainger is moving West to play with Team Koe

Here's a link to that article.

03-21-14 12:05PM
Unregistered

Wink

I think the link did not link

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

03-21-14 12:05PM
Unregistered

Getting quite sick of the 20 professional curlers parachuting around .. I like watching them but i would like to see them banned from the briar and worlds .. Trouble is China , Sweden, Russia Etc are also pros ....

I also thinking that some of the dumb shots they call is due to an IQ problem. .. These guys seem to think the grass is greener on the other side of the street....... I wont even go into the romantic connections..... Next a new breed of bald super curlers ?

Remind me to send am email to the CRA asking for clarification on why the 20 individuals arent taxed on their earnings including winnings .... Curling is killing itself as a spectator sport in person, and tv is making it slow with about three lousy commercials that i find offensive ... Idiot throwing laptop, jj repetitive one, and silly get me toilet paper one .. I see these and start surfing...... Kudos to m&m , tims, ford, and the other good commercials btw

and if i strayed from topic and have upset a couple of posters" frankly i dont really give a darn "

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.61.129

03-21-14 12:32PM
Unregistered

im just confused as to how brent is moving to alberta to curl with a different team when he has a kid with a woman who lives in Manitoba. He's moving further away

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-21-14 12:37PM
Unregistered

Why can't Team Koe still be Team Canada. I'm pretty sure there isn't a rule that says you have to play together all season to go back to the Brier.
The only way this wouldn't work is if Team Koe wins provs, then Team Canada just has to find another player.
Even if Carter quits, Team Canada would still have 3, as long as Koe doesn't win provs.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.197.71.189