M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 19 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-29-14 01:47AM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Curious to see how the new Carey ensemble will fair this week, 1-2 so far.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-29-14 10:32AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Carey might win one more game if she happens to draw into a fawn.

Interesting that you have referred to a less experienced female team as fawns.
Do you also refer to less experienced mens teams as fawns also?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.233.162

03-29-14 01:23PM
Unregistered

Duct_tape
"A top level athlete would never sign a non-compete agreement within their sport. That's the flaw in your argument here."

That's another argument why the 'job' analogy is inapplicable to this situation.
It does not apply.

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

I am a top level employee in a private industry. I do not have a non-compete clause. I can go to our direct competitor, and I will not be sued. You can't stop someone from earning a living.

Jenn Jones fired Cathy O. There was no loyalty to her from the team, as they signed a younger, better player in Lawes. I think it was a good move and I don't think you should have to curl with people if you don't want to.

Just because you don't like the analogy, doesn't mean it has to stop, especially when your theory has been disproven.

The fact that you do not have a non-compete clause in your contract does not invalidate the argument. Non-compete agreements do exist and are enforceable. Otherwise they would not exist.

The job analogy continues to fall apart. No team is going to sue a member or a member a team. I saw in one thread where the board got into talking about labour standards acts! Its just silly!

They are a unique set of individuals that sacrifice career, family and time for the love of the sport. They make commitments to each other for the hope of representing their province and country.

Teams talk to each other and figure out how to face challenges together, not in isolation. Kind of like Rachel Homan's team did. Sweeting was a threat to them (esp since they were looking for a new second) so they talked and thought why don't we get Joanne? Not that they needed her specifically plenty of teams to ask. They just wanted to break their upcoming rivals.

Sadly, Joanne didn't trust her team to talk about it. If she had they would have probably pointed out they have built each year and to remember Homan's team was in a real spot. Cold sober second thought may have given the realization she is being used. It's easy to overestimate your abilities when the cool kids are telling you your great. Pride before a fall.

Though, no need to worry. Based on what you guys are saying she should expect no loyalty from Team Homan and be dropped at their pleasure if she doesn't measure up.

Ok, I've had my 2, maybe even 4 cents. I'll drop it. Unless there is a major personal attack- then it's Flame on!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.153.242.6

03-29-14 01:33PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
R there any updates on gushue team

Looks like Gushue is keeping his cards well guarded. Wonder what Mark will do?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.206.37.228

03-29-14 02:11PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Duct_tape
"A top level athlete would never sign a non-compete agreement within their sport. That's the flaw in your argument here."

That's another argument why the 'job' analogy is inapplicable to this situation.
It does not apply.

The fact that you do not have a non-compete clause in your contract does not invalidate the argument. Non-compete agreements do exist and are enforceable. Otherwise they would not exist.

The job analogy continues to fall apart. No team is going to sue a member or a member a team. I saw in one thread where the board got into talking about labour standards acts! Its just silly!

They are a unique set of individuals that sacrifice career, family and time for the love of the sport. They make commitments to each other for the hope of representing their province and country.

Teams talk to each other and figure out how to face challenges together, not in isolation. Kind of like Rachel Homan's team did. Sweeting was a threat to them (esp since they were looking for a new second) so they talked and thought why don't we get Joanne? Not that they needed her specifically plenty of teams to ask. They just wanted to break their upcoming rivals.

Sadly, Joanne didn't trust her team to talk about it. If she had they would have probably pointed out they have built each year and to remember Homan's team was in a real spot. Cold sober second thought may have given the realization she is being used. It's easy to overestimate your abilities when the cool kids are telling you your great. Pride before a fall.

Though, no need to worry. Based on what you guys are saying she should expect no loyalty from Team Homan and be dropped at their pleasure if she doesn't measure up.

Ok, I've had my 2, maybe even 4 cents. I'll drop it. Unless there is a major personal attack- then it's Flame on!

Being recruited is being used? I would hope her skills are put to good use, that is part of the plan. If they didn't feel Joanne had anything to offer then the wouldn't have asked. And the Shakespearean conspiracy that Homan and her team where planning to eliminate a threat in Sweeting is entertaining reading at the very least. I had images of them sitting around a dimly lit strategy room with photos of sweet Val and her teammates plastered all over the wall and their faces crossed out with a BLOOD RED marker.

I just think that they played against Joanne at the trials and in the Scotties finals and were impressed with her athleticism and potential. They respect her abilities and want to play with her. To imply disrespect towards Joanne on the part of Homan and her teammates as opposed to admiration pretty much tells where you are coming from. I hope Joanne reads this so she can see that concerned citizens like yourself take such an interest in her personal decisions.

03-29-14 04:10PM
Unregistered

Re: No Comment about Jessica Kim Quitting?

quote:
Originally posted by China Supporter
You thought Germany was bad??? Look what happened allegedly with the South Koreans...

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/new..._newsidx=154269

I will pose this question. Ji-Sun Kim is married to Xiaoming Xu, the Chinese Vice.

We saw the Korean Short Track Speed Skater Ahn left Korea due to his Sport Federation for Russia and won multiple medals in Sochi.

Personally, if the allegations are true, I would leave to curl for another country and Jessica potentially has that option.

I thought Imogen joining the mutiny was weird. Betty and Jessica in 2018?!?!? Can we trial test this at the 2016 Continental Cup?

What happened with Germany?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.93.64.173

03-29-14 06:41PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: No Comment about Jessica Kim Quitting?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Riot in cell block 9 aka Andrea Kweeg!

I have no idea what this means.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.93.64.173

03-29-14 07:21PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Count for nothing?

quote:

But it's not the best competition. The pools in the slams have some comparatively weak teams. The top 5 teams in the country basically qualify for the quarters by showing up. From there, they need to play 3 good games to win. So it's not a grind. It's 'who of the top teams play well on the weekend'. Period.

Oh, and my favourite Glenn Howard quote:
"The guys made everything and, oh, thank god!"
That was in response to the 2012 Brier win.

The emotion displayed when a team wins a slam is a tiny fraction of that of a Brier win. History remembers the Brier winners.

A great post that accurately analyses why the claim; 'the slams are the best' is ficticious.

They don't fill arenas and have cost host committees tens of thousands of dollars in losses. There are better, stronger fields in many cashspiels. And just recently Warren Hansen, who understands and knows what's happening in the business better than anyone, was quoted stating the slams are in serious financial jeopardy.

But that isn't surprising to anyone who has watched how badly the WCT has handled things since their inception.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.139

03-29-14 07:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Need a translator

"Oh I speak Legend". Like the old lady from Airplane who speaks jive. Nobody can speak Legend. Sometimes we need the words on the bottom of the screen like that show with the alligator hunters in Louisiana just to to figure out what he's saying. Not to worry, he'll post 1000 more times trying to explain it with 6 degrees of Jennifer Jones, because it always goes back to Jennifer Jones. Always.

03-29-14 09:08PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: Count for nothing?

quote:

A great post that accurately analyses why the claim; 'the slams are the best' is ficticious.

They don't fill arenas and have cost host committees tens of thousands of dollars in losses. There are better, stronger fields in many cashspiels. And just recently Warren Hansen, who understands and knows what's happening in the business better than anyone, was quoted stating the slams are in serious financial jeopardy.

But that isn't surprising to anyone who has watched how badly the WCT has handled things since their inception.

Thats what I just don't understand.
If there is virtually no one in the stands and the host committees are losing thousands of dollars,
WHY do they continue to host these events?
And while I am at it,
WHY is anyone sponsoring these teams if no one even sees your ad?
I just don't get it.
Maybe someone who is more familiar with these events can explain it to me.
Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.216.23.238

03-29-14 09:37PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Count for nothing?

quote:

Thats what I just don't understand.
If there is virtually no one in the stands and the host committees are losing thousands of dollars,
WHY do they continue to host these events?
And while I am at it,
WHY is anyone sponsoring these teams if no one even sees your ad?
I just don't get it.
Maybe someone who is more familiar with these events can explain it to me.
Thanks.

And to take it a step further in regards to the sponsors, I have often wondered how many returns they receive from their advertising dollars. I, for one, don't really notice the advertising at all, and I assume that I am one of many. It makes me wonder how much a benefit it is to them at these events, even when they get a fairly good crowd. And it seems as if this doesn't happen very often.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 206.45.201.92

03-29-14 10:17PM
Unregistered

interesting strategy by Scotland. Without hammer, they throw corner guard. China draws under and sometimes behind tee. Scotland tries to hit China stone. What am I missing?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 66.41.29.203

03-30-14 12:41PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count for nothing?

quote:

And to take it a step further in regards to the sponsors, I have often wondered how many returns they receive from their advertising dollars. I, for one, don't really notice the advertising at all, and I assume that I am one of many. It makes me wonder how much a benefit it is to them at these events, even when they get a fairly good crowd. And it seems as if this doesn't happen very often.

The only people making money on the slams is Sportsnet from the advertising dollars they get. None of which is passed on to the host committee. Who can actually end up paying Sportsnet if they want certain local sponsors in the ice.

Its a well kept secret by the wct that these events are money pits. Its also why so few return to the same location.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.215

03-30-14 01:12PM
Curlerfan2003 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlerfan2003 Click here to Send Curlerfan2003 a Private Message Find more posts by Curlerfan2003 Add Curlerfan2003 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlerfan2003
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count for nothing?

quote:

The only people making money on the slams is Sportsnet from the advertising dollars they get. None of which is passed on to the host committee. Who can actually end up paying Sportsnet if they want certain local sponsors in the ice.

Its a well kept secret by the wct that these events are money pits. Its also why so few return to the same location.

Its too bad too because you have solid fields in all the grand slam events but your right the stands are only half full.

Is there anybody here that has been on both a Grand Slam and Brier/Scotties committee that could fill some of us in on the differences?

Last edited by Curlerfan2003 on 03-30-14 at 01:16PM

03-30-14 01:32PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Quality of Slam fields

I know next to nothing when it comes to the economics of the Slams or even who is running them or how good of a job they are doing. Though I will say that if you are going to level scathing criticism at those who are running the Slams then two rules should apply. 1) You should use facts and arguments. Unsupported declarative opinions are little better than insults in terms of the information they carry. 2) You should not hide behind the 'Unregistered' mask.

What I do know, and anyone else can easily look up, is the depth of the fields at the Slams. They are comprised of the top teams in curling full stop.

The statement that "many cash spiels have better fields" is at best spurious nonsense. Let us look for example at this weekends Pomeroy Inn spiel. McEwen is there, Stoughton is there and Edin is there. And like the Slams the spiel is set up in pools that play a RR to qualify for the playoffs.

Aside from these 3 teams at the Pomeroy there isn't a team in the top 20 of the CTRS points or WCT money list.

At a Slam by contrast the teams are invited on the basis of their rankings. So by definition you have the strongest possible field. No cash spiel comes close.

For that matter neither does the Brier. At the Brier you had Koe, Stoughton, Gushue Morris, Laycock, Menard that's it for top 20 teams. In other words half the field isn't in the top 20.Some of them not in the top 100. I'm not exactly sure how many of the Brier teams wouldn't be ranked high enough to qualify for a Slam, but I'd wager it's usually around half. It's very likely the same for the World's and the Olympics.

It is true that at the Slams every team does not play every other team. For self-evident reasons. You can't play a 15 or 18 team RR. The Slams could limit the size of their fields much more strictly and play a round robin it's true. Would that be better? Maybe, I believe it's being considered. It would however have the unintended consequence of giving even less chance to the next generation.

In any case as it stands you have three pools and they play a round robin within that pool. The pools are divided so that each of them is equal in strength. 8 Teams make the playoffs based on the RR record. The upshot is that 3-2 usually gets you into a tie breaker.

In the last GS the tie breaker was between the current World champion and the current Canadian champion and this quality of match-up just to make it into the Final 8.

And who was in the field? I will list those at the top of the CTRS Point ranking. Jacobs (1), Howard (2), Stoughton (3), Koe (4), McEwen (5), Edin (6), Gushe (7), Martin (8),Sven (11). Laycock (12).

This Slam was also an unusual one. It's field suffering a little coming as it did so soon after the Olympics and just before the World's. As a result Ulsruud, Liu and Murdoch weren't there, they usually play every Slam. It is a further testament to how highly the players rank the Slams that so many of them showed up despite this scheduling log jam.

It is a very very simple thing indeed to look at the field in the Slams and see they are by far the best in curling. Except for the Trials It isn't close.

The difference between the Trials and a Slam is simple to see. The ROW are, obviously, not represented. Canadian curling is however so deep that the Trials have the next best field in curling after the Slams.

When it comes to the World's, the Brier or the Olympics however they never have a majority of the top ten ranked teams. Never. Most years they have only 1 of the top five.

So whatever else you might think about the Slams they are for those who care more about curling than national pride, the best events in curling. Admittedly we are a minority, that does not however change the facts. They have the best fields in curling and it isn't even close.

Last edited by JB42 on 03-30-14 at 01:47PM

03-30-14 01:37PM
Unregistered

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Count for nothing?

quote:
Originally posted by Curlerfan2003

Its too bad too because you have solid fields in all the grand slam events but your right the stands are only half full.

Is there anybody here that has been on both a Grand Slam and Brier/Scotties committee that could fill some of us in on the differences?

Half full? When? Where? If you added up the attendence figures from all the arena slams in history its a safe bet those numbers aren't ten percent (probably not even five) of the total capacity of those venues.

None of the BC hosted slams made money Vernon is rumored to have lost over $30K. Abbotsford apparently twice that.

I think the WCT should come clean. Tell us the real financial picture.

03-30-14 01:55PM
Unregistered

Re: Quality of Slam fields

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
I know next to nothing when it comes to the economics of the Slams or even who is running them or how good of a job they are doing. Though I will say that if you are going to level scathing criticism at those who are running the Slams then two rules should apply. 1) You should use facts and arguments. Unsupported declarative opinions are little better than insults in terms of the information they carry. 2) You should not hide behind the 'Unregistered' mask.

What I do know, and anyone else can easily look up, is the depth of the fields at the Slams. They are comprised of the top teams in curling full stop.

The statement that "many cash spiels have better fields" is at best spurious nonsense. Let us look for example at this weekends Pomeroy Inn spiel. McEwen is there, Stoughton is there and Edin is there. And like the Slams the spiel is set up in pools that play a RR to qualify for the playoffs.

Aside from these 3 teams at the Pomeroy there isn't a team in the top 20 of the CTRS points or WCT money list.

At a Slam by contrast the teams are invited on the basis of their rankings. So by definition you have the strongest possible field. No cash spiel comes close.

For that matter neither does the Brier. At the Brier you had Koe, Stoughton, Gushue Morris, Laycock, Menard that's it for top 20 teams. In other words half the field isn't in the top 20.Some of them not in the top 100. I'm not exactly sure how many of the Brier teams wouldn't be ranked high enough to qualify for a Slam, but I'd wager it's usually around half. It's very likely the same for the World's and the Olympics.

It is true that at the Slams every team does not play every other team. For self-evident reasons. You can't play a 15 or 18 team RR. The Slams could limit the size of their fields much more strictly and play a round robin it's true. Would that be better? Maybe, I believe it's being considered. It would however have the unintended consequence of giving even less chance to the next generation.

In any case as it stands you have three pools and they play a round robin within that pool. The pools are divided so that each of them is equal in strength. 8 Teams make the playoffs based on the RR record. The upshot is that 3-2 usually gets you into a tie breaker.

In the last GS the tie breaker was between the current World champion and the current Canadian champion and this quality of match-up just to make it into the Final 8.

And who was in the field? I will list those at the top of the CTRS Point ranking. Jacobs (1), Howard (2), Stoughton (3), Koe (4), McEwen (5), Edin (6), Gushe (7), Martin (8),Sven (11). Laycock (12).

This Slam was also an unusual one. It's field suffering a little coming as it did so soon after the Olympics and just before the World's. As a result Ulsruud, Liu and Murdoch weren't there, they usually play every Slam. It is a further testament to how highly the players rank the Slams that so many of them showed up despite this scheduling log jam.

It is a very very simple thing indeed to look at the field in the Slams and see they are by far the best in curling. Except for the Trials It isn't close.

The difference between the Trials and a Slam is simple to see. The ROW are, obviously, not represented. Canadian curling is however so deep that the Trials have the next best field in curling after the Slams.

When it comes to the World's, the Brier or the Olympics however they never have a majority of the top ten ranked teams. Never. Most years they have only 1 of the top five.

So whatever else you might think about the Slams they are for those who care more about curling than national pride, the best events in curling. Admittedly we are a minority, that does not however change the facts. They have the best fields in curling and it isn't even close.

it doesn't really matter how the fields in the slams compare to the worlds. McEwen has a couple slams but he'd trade them all for a world championship

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-30-14 02:39PM
Unregistered

Forbes' list of the most valuable football clubs:

1. Real Madrid 3.3 billion
2. Manchester United 3.2 billion
3. Barcelona 2.6 billion
4. Aresenal 1.32 billion
5. Bayern Munich 1.3 billion

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 69.166.30.173

03-30-14 02:54PM
Unregistered

Get off your high horse JB42. The pheasant classic in Brooks had a stronger field for example. And it used a TKO format that took less time and was more exciting with a larger field than a slam.

And most spiels period have better fields than some briers. But that's not the point. To get there you have to beat ''the best' in your province then 'the best' from every other part of the country.

And don't raise the argument that slams get the best from spiels. Because that is less about ability to win and more about the ability to pay yo play. And we all know what an uneven playing field that has become.

The Brier is the one true level playing field. You all start at your provincial playdowns with the same chance as every team. And IMO that's one of the things the slammers hate. Because lurking in every province are teams that can beat them. Teams that can't tour non-stop, but possess the talent to beat them. And they fear that, make no mistake.

Argue all you want, but no slam will ever outdraw the brier, nor produce the excitement, drama or emotion of a national championship.

03-30-14 03:01PM
Unregistered

The slams have great fields no doubt. But lets come clean on what they really are. A chance for the pro teams to make their year money wise and a chance for non Canadian teams to play against top talent.
The fans yawn at them consistently in spite of the fields. The hosting venues end up bleeding from every orifice due to the lack of ticket sales and concessions. The players like them for sure. Nice payday and a chance to measure yourself against top teams. All valid. However we are one nice recession away from losing not one but all of them. If it happens they are not worth saving. Public interest is near zero and these events won't attract advertising bucks when cash gets tight.
Curling is a fringe sport that the world looks at every 4 years. Sorry but that's just how it is right now. As an insider of course I love everything about the game but realistically the gravy train will stop. And sooner than later.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.27.44

03-30-14 03:04PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Quality of Slam fields

quote:

it doesn't really matter how the fields in the slams compare to the worlds. McEwen has a couple slams but he'd trade them all for a world championship

Yes I would think he would even trade the Slam titles for one appearance at the Brier!

03-30-14 03:25PM
CurlingRH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingRH Click here to Send CurlingRH a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingRH Add CurlingRH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingRH
Harvey Hacksmasher

Quality of Slam Teams

Let's assume that your assertion that the Slams have the deepest fields is correct. Your original thesis was that Slam medals should be worth more than national or international championship medals. Depth of field is only one of several considerations in determining the value of a given championship.

First of all, at some point, depth of field becomes irrelevant. Only so many teams make the playoffs, and when it's all said and done, it always comes down to two teams. The difference between fields of four greats and ten greats isn't nearly as significant as you suggest, partly because it's pool play, and your team won't see all of those "great" teams.

Going into this past year, there were a number of women's teams that could win on any given weekend. Jones, Homan, Muirhead, Ott and Sigfridsson headed the list, and there were probably another five or six that would be considered underdogs, but it wouldn't shock the curling world if they won (less shocking than Feltscher).

More often than not, the final of every major tournament (including the four Slams) will involve two of the "big five", and it all comes down to who makes the critical shot or the critical mistake on that given day. Ultimately, she who handles the pressure best that day usually wins.

Trying to quantify pressure is tricky (almost as tricky as trying to measure the relative value of gold medals), however I think it's fair to say that pressure is driven largely by two factors:

The consequences of losing. If you lose the first Slam of the year, there's another one in a few weeks. If you lose at your national championship, you're waiting a year (assuming you're a sure thing to come out of your province). If you lose at the Trials or Olympics, you're waiting another four years, assuming you can keep your team together for that long.

The number of people affected by the outcome. The only people that pay attention to the Slams are the same hard-core nuts like you and me that really follow the game closely. Our national championships and World championships are viewed by over a million people in Canada. Most of these people are cheering for their province or country, and they are saddened to varying degrees when their team loses and elated when their team wins. Scale that up to the Olympics and now we have many millions of spectators and our national pride on the line. No pressure there, eh?

There's a reason so many Canadians want a piece of Team Jones, why they're dropping hockey pucks and handing out Junos and getting the keys to just about everything with a pretend lock ... they came through with perfection when it really mattered to EVERYBODY.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Slams, and I acknowledge and enjoy the fact that more often than not, I'll see a good game between two top-level teams. However, the level of emotion (good or bad) that I feel when one of "my teams" wins or loses at a Slam is dwarfed by a win or a loss at a Scotties or Worlds final.

I remember watching Jennifer follow her last rock into the house to clinch the gold medal and wondering what was going through her mind at that moment. I'm pretty sure it wasn't "wow, this is almost as good as winning a Slam".

03-30-14 03:41PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

quote:

Curling is a fringe sport that the world looks at every 4 years. Sorry but that's just how it is right now. As an insider of course I love everything about the game but realistically the gravy train will stop. And sooner than later.

Curling is fringe sport looked at every 4 years only in those nations where curling is weak to non-existent.

1 in every 25 Canadians is, or has been at one time, a curler. That doesn't sound like a fringe sport at all.

quote:
With the final audience data of the (2012-2013) season now in, the numbers show that curling is one of the most-watched sports properties on Canadian television. Overall, more than 13.7 million Canadians, or close to half the population, have tuned in to watch some of TSN's extensive curling coverage this season.

As official broadcaster of the Canadian Curling Association, TSN broadcasts close to 300 hours of live Season of Champions curling each year, including the Tim Hortons Brier and Scotties Tournament of Hearts, along with the Men's and Women's World Championships, Capital One Canada Cup, WFG Continental Cup, and M&M Canadian Juniors.

03-30-14 04:20PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Curling RH

My thesis was that the Slams are events that the players care a great deal about. What I was also arguing is that the Slams have the deepest fields of any event in curling. Both of these statements are uncontroversial and backed by the facts.

What I was responding to were the posts that asserted that the Slams are worth nothing.

At no point did I denigrate the value of international events or medals in such events. What I said instead was that the majority opinion valued these events above Slams. Again hardly controversial.

Finally I stated my opinion that Slams should be more highly viewed than they are currently and attempted to put forward that case. I did not do a comparative analysis of the value of wins in events. I.e. Slams versus International events. I instead made a numbers based argument about the relative strengths of the fields.

03-30-14 04:28PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by murphyj87

Curling is fringe sport looked at every 4 years only in those nations where curling is weak to non-existent.

1 in every 25 Canadians is, or has been at one time, a curler. That doesn't sound like a fringe sport at all.

But where are the butts in the seats?
Which was how this discussion started in the first place!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.161.209.14