M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 17 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-27-14 05:33PM
jcullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcullen Click here to Send jcullen a Private Message Find more posts by jcullen Add jcullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcullen
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

In fact that is not the case:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/03/...man-team-lineup

"Courtney informed the team of her decision late Monday night. She offered to play out her obligation and make one final appearance with the team at the $50,000 spiel in Grande Prairie starting Thursday, but that offer was declined.

It would have been awkward for us, said Sweeting, whos looking to find at least a temporary replacement before heading north Wednesday night. We want to finish the year strong."

Steph Baier from the Van Osch(now Sivertson) rink is filling in this weekend in GP.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-27-14 05:35PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Chelsea Carey impressed the heck out of me at the Scotties this year. She has "the look of eagles" as the saying goes. As long as she has the horses I can see her being the team to give Homan the biggest challenge.

They contrast in both personality and shooting skills very much like Kevin and Glenn earlier in their careers.

Rachel like Kevin an incredible hitter with the best runback ability of any skip in the game. Carey like Glenn is awesome at the in-between weight stuff, both able to draw to the pin. Though to date at least neither Carey or Homan have developped their draw to the pin on demand to the level of consistency that Kevin and Glenn achieved. In personality Rachel like Kevin doesn't come across as the most afffable and laid back curler of all time. Whereas Chelsea like Glenn has the kind of personality that relaxes the people she's playing with and it comes across that way to the crowd.

03-27-14 07:21PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Chelsea Carey impressed the heck out of me at the Scotties this year. She has "the look of eagles" as the saying goes. As long as she has the horses I can see her being the team to give Homan the biggest challenge.

They contrast in both personality and shooting skills very much like Kevin and Glenn earlier in their careers.

Rachel like Kevin an incredible hitter with the best runback ability of any skip in the game. Carey like Glenn is awesome at the in-between weight stuff, both able to draw to the pin. Though to date at least neither Carey or Homan have developped their draw to the pin on demand to the level of consistency that Kevin and Glenn achieved. In personality Rachel like Kevin doesn't come across as the most affable and laid back curler of all time. Whereas Chelsea like Glenn has the kind of personality that relaxes the people she's playing with and it comes across that way to the crowd.

Nice comparisons, I never really made the connection between Chelsea and Glenn, but the more I think about it the more I see it. They do seem like they'd be fun too curl with and make the game as stress free as possible.

The similarities between Martin and Homan are pretty obvious though. Not just in their shot-making skills and demeanor, but in their perfectionism and pursuit of excellence on the ice. They expect so much from themselves and therefore their teammates as well. Winning is only part of the equation. You better have the right kind of mindset or you won't thrive in that kind of pressure. It could definitely be intimidating for some.

03-27-14 07:25PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

There may be some logic in Joanne telling Sweeting when she did. Look what is going on with all the rumours surrounding Team Koe, with Hebert, Kennedy and Laing supposedly joining him next year. They haven't played the Worlds yet, and all the focus is already on next year for many people. This adds to the distractions, when they should just be focusing on winning right now.

If Joanne told Team Sweeting a few weeks ago, then that gets out very quickly. Team Homan wanted to announce Ali's departure after the worlds, so they wouldn't have those distractions. Joanne basically told them at the earliest opportunity she reasonably could have. It's still a long ways to go before the start of next season.

03-28-14 12:46AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by radiowave

The similarities between Martin and Homan are pretty obvious though. Not just in their shot-making skills and demeanor, but in their perfectionism and pursuit of excellence on the ice. They expect so much from themselves and therefore their teammates as well. Winning is only part of the equation. You better have the right kind of mindset or you won't thrive in that kind of pressure. It could definitely be intimidating for some.

This reminds me of my favourite Fake Kevin Martin tweet:
"Rachel Homan reminds me of a young me. Big weight, big forehead, sexy as hell #curling"

03-28-14 03:30AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

The landscape just changed. MASSIVELY!!!

Who knew Ali was poised to leave?

Who knew Courtney was in the bullpen?

Val Sweeting has a gaping hole at 3rd stone. DON'T think she'd wanna take 46 yr old Cathy O on either.

ML...They certainly look extremely unhappy here, don't they!!!
www.instagram.com/p/mEqDpVuIik/

After reading everything about her move to Alberta, my guess is that Chelsae Carey should have consulted Val Sweeting first!

If you are of the belief that Ali K. just SUDDENLY decided to move to Sweden out of the blue without talking things out with her two best friends from grade schoo...plus Miss Weagle, then I may have a bridge I may have interest in selling you!

As an observation regarding your critique of Ms. Homan and her "borderline personality disorder" - it might be suggested that you possibly need to readjust what you are looking for in a skip and team to represent our country at a world level. If being highly competitive and highly focused at a world class level is a disorder, I want in... and I fully support those who are.

POSSIBLY during the time you have been drinking from the Jennifer Jones fountain of youth, the world has improved their abilities to the point where a ten end game is a coin flip for the most part. (if gambling were legal?)

I'm proud as a Canadian citizen of the way the Homan team represented us as a nation and one or two ends over the course of a week does not detract from a teams' ability. How exciting is it that we get to witness the progression of a team of this ability moving forward?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 173.238.206.222

03-28-14 07:36AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by jcullen

Steph Baier from the Van Osch(now Sivertson) rink is filling in this weekend in GP.

Very excited for Val Sweeting. What a recovery from losing a teammate and then having a replacement brought in in just a couple of days. I really hope she goes far with either keeping SB or finding the ultimate fit for a replacement long term with someone else. Very nice first win in GP: 7-5, especially that 4-pointer in the 6th end.

Keep it up Team Sweeting. Remember that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Way to go!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.151.96.229

03-28-14 09:08AM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

Funny, when a male curler looks serious/grumpy when he plays, he's just intense and competitive.

When a female curler looks the same way, it's a "personality disorder".

Perhaps all Homan wants to do is get the best out of herself and her team, and she doesn't care much about yukking it up for the cameras like JJ does.

03-28-14 10:02AM
Unregistered

quote:

My information is that the Chelsea Carey unit is pretty much set in stone w/ Crocker shooting 3rd and Jen Gates leading off. Notice they had Taylor McDonald in at 2nd. Not familiar with her at all - is she the set in stone 2nd?

As for Homan I never said she had borderline pers. disorder. Thats a clinical term - I did use the word minor which is not clinical. She's come a long way in the last 4 or 5 years but demands tons from her players, her coach and of course, moreso from herself. When the wheels started going off the truck vs. Switzerland all the old signs started to manifest. She grew grim, her thought processes were not complete, communication with Emma started to deteriorate, Earle got locked out, and with every missed shot things got worse. If probably crescendoed after she missed her last rock and Bini stole Rachel's championship. The post-game interview with Moore was not a good idea although I understand she was just fulfilling an obligation.

And by the way - if Bini and her mates decided not to shake hands in the joy & mirth of their post-win celebrations then they should be reprimanded and ALSO fined as their actions (even in the mirth & joy) are not in the spirit of the game.

I don't think you should ever be fined for not shaking hands, that would be stupid.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-28-14 10:37AM
Unregistered

quote:

The biggest difference is that Homan allowed her anger and frustration to manifest into completely abandoning the gameplan and trying to force things. She looked at her opponent (Feltscher) with disgust and said what right does this woman have to be on the same sheet as us?
Thats actually partially true but someone has to play you in the world final Rachel. This time it was Bini and her team came out to play like the devil

JJ ain't perfect. Her team was never comprised of ace-shooters like Homans is now. But Rachel has had 3 incredibly poor outcomes in her illustrious career. The last rock drook vs. Horgan for an Ontario title, the loss to Princess at the worlds last year and now getting ambushed by Feltscher.

The one JJ loss that disgusts me is losing in playoffs to absolutely unskilled fawns at the worlds. That would be the distracted danish blondes. But as we all know, if JJ and her team are off their game almost any womens team can TKO them.

1. I really don't think that Rachel, in any way thought that Switzerland had no right to be on that same sheet of ice. She has respect for her opponents. Respect, by the way may be a concept you might want to study

2. there was nothing bad about that loss to muirhead

3. Once again showing your lack of respect for teams and lack of class here. this one shocks me because I thought you favored the DuPont sisters. There's no denying that with Angelina Jensen on the team DuPont was a lot better. They most definitely had skill, if they didn't they wouldn't be undefeated against JJ. Lets not forget that the loss to Denmark for bronze in 2009 is not the only time she lost to Jensen. She'd lost to her in the round robin that year too and in her 2008 run she lost to her in the round robin as well. Overall jones was 1-3 against Jensen.

I really wish you'd think before you post what you do because I really don't think you do right now.

03-28-14 10:38AM
Unregistered

quote:

1. I really don't think that Rachel, in any way thought that Switzerland had no right to be on that same sheet of ice. She has respect for her opponents. Respect, by the way may be a concept you might want to study

3. Once again showing your lack of respect for teams and lack of class here. this one shocks me because I thought you favored the DuPont sisters. There's no denying that with Angelina Jensen on the team DuPont was a lot better. They most definitely had skill, if they didn't they wouldn't be undefeated against JJ. Lets not forget that the loss to Denmark for bronze in 2009 is not the only time she lost to Jensen. She'd lost to her in the round robin that year too and in her 2008 run she lost to her in the round robin as well. Overall jones was 1-3 against Jensen.

I really wish you'd think before you post what you do because I really don't think you do right now.

realizing my own mistake here. Jensen was not undefeated against JJ however the fact remains..they wouldn't be 3-1 against her if they didn't have skill

03-28-14 11:12AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Team Jones: 4 World's 1 Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 failed to medal.

Team Homan: 2 World's, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze.

We shall see what we shall see in the next few years.

03-28-14 11:25AM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by duct_tape
Funny, when a male curler looks serious/grumpy when he plays, he's just intense and competitive.

When a female curler looks the same way, it's a "personality disorder".

Perhaps all Homan wants to do is get the best out of herself and her team, and she doesn't care much about yukking it up for the cameras like JJ does.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

03-28-14 11:31AM
Unregistered

quote:

It is funny how the mind works for some when they get to the golden years.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.197.71.189

03-28-14 11:36AM
Unregistered

Taylor McDonald (2nd for Carey) is a product of the junior program in Lethbridge. Juvenile/Junior Provincials, just off of a World Junior win with Team Rocque and 2 time CIS silver medallist out of University of Edmonton. Trains out of the Saville in Edmonton. Looks like a young Courtney on the ice. Same sweeping style, textbook delivery, upweight hit ability. (even wears the same style headband - haha). Watch her. She IS an up and coming.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.89.62.122

03-28-14 11:46AM
Unregistered

Well this thread has gone right off the rails hasn't it. BTW how the hey-all does MI get away with posting that RH has a personality disorder and not get banned?!?! Seriously, what kind of blackmail material is he holding over CZ that he can post that kind of blatant garbage with no consequences whatsoever? I'd really like to know.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 208.98.232.36

03-28-14 11:48AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Moskowy Fishin'

He's definitely putting it out there. In his "defense" I'd say he is on the mild-mannered end of the notorious Virtue clan. Good luck Braeden. I hope you land the big one.

Article in StarPhoenix
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports
/Moskowy+seeking+opportunities/9672129/story.html

03-28-14 11:49AM
Unregistered

Real winners get up for the best and sometimes can't get it up for the fawns. That happens in football, hockey and any other sport you can think of. It's a battle inside.
Homan's problem is something else. They look like the perfect real deal team...until it really matters. The collar gets tight and they puke on their shirts in finals.
As a comparison in the golf world look at Greg Norman. The most supremely talented golfer the planet had ever seen. Until the final round of a major. The golf world rationalized that he was the next Jack Nicklaus but the fields were now so good and so competitive that even a supreme being like Norman couldn't do a Nicklaus type domination in "today" game. He was the next "real deal". Until the real "real deal" showed up in 1998 and showed the world what real was.
Real deal means being a finisher period. Homan's team has not shown that yet. They are young and hopefully will learn from their mistakes. Part of that is owning up to them in an honest way. They are not being beaten. They are beating themselves.
I'm pulling for them but right now the mental scar tissue is going to be very tough to get past.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.59.27.44

03-28-14 11:54AM
Unregistered

quote:

Point taken but JJ has lost games to an incredible number of fawns over the years.

Sometimes it defies explanation but its what humanizes her most.

can you really call Jensen a fawn?

from 2007-2009 she was one of the best teams in the world

think about it:

2007 - silver
2008 - 5th
2009 - bronze

03-28-14 12:08PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

This reminds me of my favourite Fake Kevin Martin tweet:
"Rachel Homan reminds me of a young me. Big weight, big forehead, sexy as hell #curling"

That's funny, I'll start checking that account out.

03-28-14 12:50PM
radiowave
Hitting Paint

The comparisons between Rachel and JJ are natural because they are the two best teams in our country, but when you consider their ages, not so much. We have to remind ourselves that Rachel is still very young. She accomplished something special in our country which is winning two Scotties at the age of 24. Jennifer did not win her first Scotties title until she was 30. My point being that Jennifer was more seasoned and mature when she started to win. Name the last female Canadian skip who was as accomplished as Homan is at her age? It's very rare that we see this kind of breakthrough in Canada with the depth of talent.

For me the closest comparison at the moment would be Eve Muirhead. Same age as Rachel, but even her circumstances are different. Remember, she was sent to the Olympic Games as a 19 year old. She took her lumps over the years when she came out of out juniors, but gained valuable insight and experience while doing so. When she was ready to win at the worlds last year, she delivered (in what, her fourth or fifth appearance?). Rachel is still learning how to manage her lofty expectations.

03-28-14 12:59PM
CurlingRH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingRH Click here to Send CurlingRH a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingRH Add CurlingRH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingRH
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
Team Jones: 4 World's 1 Gold, 1 Bronze, 2 failed to medal.

Team Homan: 2 World's, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze.

We shall see what we shall see in the next few years.

We frequently deny it, but the truth is the only international medals that really count in Canadian curling are gold. We expect our teams to win gold, and when they don't, the hard cold truth is they failed to meet our expectations. Other countries hope to get gold, Canada and Sweden demand it as a pre-requisite to being considered a great team. And IMHO, it will be a sad day for Canadian curling if we quit thinking that way.

One of the wonderful things about curling is the wealth of statistical data it generates, and the myriad ways it can be selectively manipulated to say anything you want. Here's another statistical perspective:

Team Jones - 2 gold medals in 5 international competitions (Worlds and Olympics).

Team Homan - 0 gold medals in 2 international competitions.

My stats and your stats are both completely true, and yet they infer completely opposite conclusions. Interesting, isn't it.

The only meaningful comparison of these teams will take place after they've both finished their careers and the full impact of their presence in the sport is considered. Right now, Team Jones' accomplishments have already secured their place as one of the best teams in the history of Canadian curling. Team Homan won't be in that conversation until they bring home some gold, regardless of how many silver and bronze medals they "win". Team Sigfridsson has enough silver medals to anchor a boat ... nobody in Sweden is comparing them to Norberg and Gustafson.

Team Homan may well become the best team of all time. They may also flame-out and disappear within a few years. History would suggest that the latter is far more likely, but as you say, we'll see what we see.

03-28-14 01:18PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

I don't think you should ever be fined for not shaking hands, that would be stupid.

Colleen Jones' team was fined for signing too many autographs. There are lots of really dumb things in curling. Not shaking hands after a win is way worse than many of them. Watch Jones, Homan, Koe, Martin after they win national and world championships. Heck, even watch the junior Nationals. The first move is to go shake hands. You can delay your all night celebration by 30 seconds.

03-28-14 01:53PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

Colleen Jones' team was fined for signing too many autographs. There are lots of really dumb things in curling. Not shaking hands after a win is way worse than many of them. Watch Jones, Homan, Koe, Martin after they win national and world championships. Heck, even watch the junior Nationals. The first move is to go shake hands. You can delay your all night celebration by 30 seconds.

id never heard about that. wow that is dumb

03-28-14 02:43PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Re: Team JONES on CBC Q

quote:
w/ Jian Ghomeshi.

It aired this a.m. but is prolly on CBC site.

Team Jones are presenters at Juno awards

Women donning gowns + diamonds

must see TV

thanks fearless leader, but I already blog way too much on the CBC forum as it is ...I think the exposure on the Juno awards is rather fitting for the Jones foursome ......