M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 12 of 26 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-25-14 12:47PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

2 years. Alison would also have to gain Swedish citizenship, which will take some time to get anyways. But I expect to see Ali on a team somewhere along the way.

so ali wouldn't be able to rep Sweden ( again if she wanted to) until 2016?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.9

03-25-14 12:54PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Wow. Big shocker. I know there was some speculation that Weagle might be leaving the team - so an interesting twist here. I've been impressed with Joanne Courtney; she's a great addition.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-25-14 12:58PM
curlo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlo Click here to Send curlo a Private Message Find more posts by curlo Add curlo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlo
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

2 years. Alison would also have to gain Swedish citizenship, which will take some time to get anyways. But I expect to see Ali on a team somewhere along the way.

she wouldnt have to gain citizenship, but she def cant play for two years. see WCF eligibility rules underneath:

quote:

1. Athletes are a national of the country they are representing their
residence can be anywhere.
or
Athletes are a resident of the country they are representing for a period of
at least two consecutive years immediately prior to the start of the
competition.

2. If an athlete has represented a country in any WCF competition, or played
in an international qualifier for a WCF competition, that athlete may not
represent another country in any WCF competition or WCF international
qualifier until the athlete fulfills one of the above criteria AND a period of
two consecutive years has elapsed.

3. This eligibility does not apply to competing in the Olympic / Paralympic
Winter Games, which are governed by the regulations of the International
Olympic / Paralympic Committee.

03-25-14 01:11PM
Unregistered

So Laing to Alberta is some huge deal but Courtney to Ontario is no problemo?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.201.5.100

03-25-14 01:18PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

??? I'd say they're both a huge deal. What's your point, exactly?

03-25-14 01:35PM
Unregistered

That's not even fair. Could team Homan possibly have found a better player to replace Ali?
Courtney has the perfect toolbox to become the Marc Kennedy of womens curling: fairly accurate big weight, terrific conditioning, and unparalleled sweeping technique.

Once Homan & co. smooth off some of the rough edges (no one doubts they will be pushing themselves harder than ever now), they will have themselves a HELL of a player and maybe an even stronger team (no offense to Ali, who is also a terrific player).

Good luck to the other ladies teams....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.66.249.65

03-25-14 01:38PM
Unregistered

The point is that everyone jumped all over Liang for switching provinces. There has yet to be any backlash over Courtney.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 99.249.65.250

03-25-14 01:41PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
That's not even fair. Could team Homan possibly have found a better player to replace Ali?
Courtney has the perfect toolbox to become the Marc Kennedy of womens curling: fairly accurate big weight, terrific conditioning, and unparalleled sweeping technique.

Once Homan & co. smooth off some of the rough edges (no one doubts they will be pushing themselves harder than ever now), they will have themselves a HELL of a player and maybe an even stronger team (no offense to Ali, who is also a terrific player).

Good luck to the other ladies teams....

I agree, my only gripe is the intangibles that Ali brought to the team. She seemed to be the one calming voice on the team. It felt like she was the only one who could get Rachel to smile or laugh. At times, in this sport, you need someone like that on your team. Courtney seems really intense much like Emma and Rachel. Shot-wise there shouldn't be much drop off.

03-25-14 01:43PM
Unregistered

Sure Courtney is a great sweeper, but I did not find her shooting ability impressive at all when she was throwing third stones for Sweeting. Maybe moving down to second will be a better fit for her.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.132.225.98

03-25-14 01:58PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

as well as being a better touch curler.

I wouldn't say Courtney is a better touch curler. To be honest exact opposite. In some of the big games Courtney has shown to struggle with draw weight. Which is usually the case for those who are known for the up-weight.

03-25-14 01:58PM
Unregistered

I will miss Ali on Team Homan. No wonder she won the Sportsmanship Award in Saint John. What a lovely lady and a fantastic curler to watch. She was first team all star in all the big events she played in, including both Scotties, and both Worlds. Good luck Ali.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 74.114.172.1

03-25-14 02:03PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
The more I think about it though the more I'm now convinced Sweeting has to invite Chelsea Carey aboard. She simply won't be able to confront Homan with Dana Ferguson at vice.

Gotta love this guy. Carey literally just moved to AB to form a new team, and ML's got her as an absolute must have on another team. I'd love to have you in my hockey pool, bud. The trades we could pull over on you are endless.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

03-25-14 02:13PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

can't keep track of all these .....

"changes' of curlers changing "hats' well it should make for a interesting 2015 curling season

03-25-14 02:17PM
Unregistered

news break....fresh on the unrestricted list is josh barry out of NB.....could be a good pick up for an up and coming team.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.166.76.202

03-25-14 02:38PM
Unregistered

quote:
news break....fresh on the unrestricted list is josh barry out of NB.....could be a good pick up for an up and coming team.

What happened with Grattens team?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.138.46.84

03-25-14 02:55PM
Unregistered

quote:

really? I thought he fit in well with james team and they did well at the brier and on the cash tour

wonder if he'll stay in new Brunswick or look elsewhere

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-25-14 03:12PM
Unregistered

quote:

really? I thought he fit in well with james team and they did well at the brier and on the cash tour

wonder if he'll stay in new Brunswick or look elsewhere

Even the mediocre teams want to try to break news. Give me a break, no one cares about this one.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.68.185.185

03-25-14 03:28PM
Unregistered

jumping provinces

quote:
The point is that everyone jumped all over Liang for switching provinces. There has yet to be any backlash over Courtney.

I can only speak for myself, but Laing has kids East of Alberta, so the move is confusing as I think the expectation was Jen would move East, or he would move to Winnipeg. Alberta was not even in the mix. Courtney does not have "family" and is free to move just as Chelsey Carey will be. Ali's departure is not a real surprise tho, she was off to Sweden every chance she had but it is still shocking to think Team Homan will be different next year.

I for one hope that the curlers who are making these big changes find what they are looking for. Not everyone will represent Canada in the next Olympics, but I hope the moves, the new jobs, friends and experiences add goodness to their lives.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.7.5.81

03-25-14 04:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Gotta love this guy. Carey literally just moved to AB to form a new team, and ML's got her as an absolute must have on another team. I'd love to have you in my hockey pool, bud. The trades we could pull over on you are endless.

Yeah. Left field. Red herring. Had to google to remember who it was: Laura Crocker is the Alberta team that will include Chelsea Carey - in case ML's speculations made anyone else forget who it was. Interesting times. Yes.

03-25-14 04:24PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

Although the situations are completely different, it must be very weird for Courtney, and previously Kaitlyn Lawes, to wear a Team Canada uniform without having won the national playdown. For Lawes it was even more extreme, as she hadn't even competed in the women's provincial playdowns in Manitoba before. She had played one year in Alberta with Cathy King, but they lost the 1/2 game and the semi final that year. Courtney at least has won her province before.

I think this is a very good move for both Courtney, and Team Homan. I wish them much luck.

03-25-14 04:32PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: jumping provinces

quote:
[i]Originally posted by Unregistered

I for one hope that the curlers who are making these big changes find what they are looking for. Not everyone will represent Canada in the next Olympics, but I hope the moves, the new jobs, friends and experiences add goodness to their lives. [/B]

This is such a nice post. I too hope that the changes that are being made make each of the curlers, who are on the move, very happy.

03-25-14 04:44PM
GrindingWin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GrindingWin Click here to Send GrindingWin a Private Message Find more posts by GrindingWin Add GrindingWin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GrindingWin
Knee-Slider

quote:

Josh Barry to move to Manitoba to skip Team Dunstone at the 2015 Select is the word on the street.

03-25-14 04:51PM
curlingmad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingmad Click here to Send curlingmad a Private Message Find more posts by curlingmad Add curlingmad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingmad
Swing Artist

Re: jumping provinces

quote:

I can only speak for myself, but Laing has kids East of Alberta, so the move is confusing as I think the expectation was Jen would move East, or he would move to Winnipeg. Alberta was not even in the mix. Courtney does not have "family" and is free to move just as Chelsey Carey will be. Ali's departure is not a real surprise tho, she was off to Sweden every chance she had but it is still shocking to think Team Homan will be different next year.

I for one hope that the curlers who are making these big changes find what they are looking for. Not everyone will represent Canada in the next Olympics, but I hope the moves, the new jobs, friends and experiences add goodness to their lives.

Joanne's hubby might not appreciate the 'not having family' in AB, then again, maybe he was the last to know she is moving to ONT.

03-25-14 05:09PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Holy musical chairs Batman.....

Wacky and wild times foh sure.

I was at the Scotties this year and was very impressed with Courtney. That said it's hard to justify the conclusion that Team Homan is stronger as a result. Ali curled 90% for the week at the Scotties. And let us not forget that stunning Page 1 game where she made jaw dropping Marc like shots. (Kennedy or Nichols take your pick...lol...)

It seems a stretch to imagine someone could top that. Match it perhaps.

As to her sweeping. I have never seen a better sweeper in the women's game. How much of a difference will that make for Team Homan? Marginal I would think as Alison was young and fit though obviously not as strong. Did Kevin make a lot more shots than Glenn because of his front end? Likely a few. Though I am skeptical that the difference between very good and exceptional translates to much difference in terms of percentage of shots made at the top level.

There is however one very important aspect to the Courtney pick-up. I.e. Even if there is a drop off it will in all likelihood be slight. That is a major accomplishment for Team Homan. Losing a player of Ali's quality is generally very difficult to replace. Team Howard can vouch for that I'm sure.

And who knows, three of the girls have been curling together since bantams. A new perspective might be just the thing to launch them over the hurdles that tripped them up at the Trials and the World's.

As ever, time will tell.

03-25-14 05:15PM
Unregistered

At this point Weagle has to remain w/ Homan to retain their suto-berth at next year's STOH.

Why would she quit curling just because she is getting married?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.146.113.24