M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2015 World Women's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 25 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-15-15 08:39AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

sweden steals another to lead by 3 coming home. really have to give them credit for turning this around

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-15-15 08:40AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

that being said they are up by 3 without. what in the hell are they doing putting rocks in play

03-15-15 08:45AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. eve gasses her last rock draw to full 8 foot and japan steals the win.

fantastic day for japan, knocking off sweden and scotland even if a little luck was involved

rough day for eve though

really interesting standings. finland and japan 2-1 while sweden and scotland are 1-2 ..didnt see that coming

Last edited by misty1 on 03-15-15 at 08:48AM

03-15-15 09:39AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

ts kind of funny how in the standings there are 3 groups of 3 right now

the undefeateds (china, russia, switzerland)

those at 2-1 (canada, japan, finland)

1-2 (scotland, sweden, germany)

the winless (norway, united states, denmark)

03-15-15 09:50AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I can virtually guarantee one of Sweden/Scotland will book playoff tickets; probably 85% sure both of them will either playoff or be in a tie-breaker.

Jones is 2-1 but the way her team (and JJ herself) have been out of sorts she might be nail-biting to get 7-4 or even 8-3.

Right now, Ana Sidorova seems to be taking the "Rachel Homan Role" of dominant machine team. Frankly, the way Jones is curling I can't see her getting by Ana even if they increase their overall percentages by 5 to 7% - - - they'd have to up it by 10 to 12% to confront Russia properly!

well ..i dont know. sweden did look good in the back half of the game.if they keep curling like that they should get there. scotland hasnt looked great though and eve has been either very good at worlds or bad. to me this looks like one of the bad years so to see her missing playoffs isnt out of the question for me.

im pretty happy for japan. those 2 wins today will really help their playoff chances. really only russia and canada left where they are underdogs so an 8-3 or 7-4 record for japan seems doable right now

ana is monstering through but keep in mind who russia has played.United states, norway and denmark...not really any of the favorites or expected playoff contenders. lets see what happens when they come across the likes of sweden, canada, scotland, switzerland, china and japan

03-15-15 11:34AM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

Best thing for me is having only two people in the broadcast booth. Cuts down on the mindless chatter TSN has inflicted on us in recent years.

Very decisive win against Eve after a wobbly start against the Finns. Of course the Scots didn't bring their "A" game to the arena. Never watched Sweden but the loss is not surprising - Canada hasn't been playing well enough for a clean sheet in the RR.

03-15-15 12:04PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:

Jones still seeking the correct "formula" for playing worlds. I think she made a big mistake in hoisting up a 3-spot in the first vs. Sweden - probably woke the drowsy plodders up!!!

Swedes totally controlled a very wobbly Team Canada from that point on - JJ was fortunate to even force Maria to use her last brick to secure victory!

Other than Dawn the Canadian numbers today look pretty grim. What's happened to Jill?;

03-15-15 05:08PM
ellejay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ellejay Click here to Send ellejay a Private Message Find more posts by ellejay Add ellejay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellejay
Harvey Hacksmasher

you can watch the Canada vs Sweden game replay here in the TV streaming section.

it's in the 5th end that Jill takes her fall.

03-15-15 05:35PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Jill is currently dumpster-diving percentage wise. However, JJ will blame it on poor ice-reading and bad placement of the broom - even Russ touched upon it.

Dawn's completed shots are basically irrelevant if Jill and Kaitlyn are being dominated in the middle. JJ will either be facing tough shots every end or the odd "near impossible" type of shot.

Historically, Jones always seems to endure or manufacture various issues/crises at the worlds. Generally, she seems to overcome most but from watching them over 10 years - I really don't like the body language and I really don't like the panic/fear in Jones & Lawes voices.

Other than Norway I suspect Jones might be vulnerable in just about every one of her remaining contests. Yep, even good 'ol USA....

Jennifer's strategy is excellent when the team is curling 80% to 90% - however, it routinely exposes her when percentages are in the 55 to 70% range.

well, to be fair to JJ , legend no one looks good when their team is curling in the high 50 to low 70 percent range

and i dont know why but tsn is not replaying the game on any of their channels when it has usually been tradition for them to replay the game at a better time for tv viewers during the day. yes, even after the streaming service started

instead, when i went looking all i found was a bunch of nascar stucf and sports center..oh and a little soccer

03-15-15 05:55PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

just wanted to let anyone who didnt already know but tsn is showing the game v.s china on tsn 1, 3, 4 and 5 tonight at 7.

03-15-15 06:37PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

well, to be fair to JJ , legend no one looks good when their team is curling in the high 50 to low 70 percent range

and i dont know why but tsn is not replaying the game on any of their channels when it has usually been tradition for them to replay the game at a better time for tv viewers during the day. yes, even after the streaming service started

instead, when i went looking all i found was a bunch of nascar stucf and sports center..oh and a little soccer

The Canada vs Sweden game is being aired at 10pm on TSN2.

03-15-15 06:37PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
misty - how do you think Homan or Sweeting (the other two royalties in Canadian womens curling) would have fared at this years worlds?

my thoughts - Homan just brutalizes and terrorizes fields with her team intensity and hitting acumen. Backed up by now fearless short game I think she'd easily finish 8-3 or 9-2 and certainly be around for the playoffs.

Same with Sweeting. Not quite as sure afoot as Homan but very strong on the tee - her strategy isn't as reckless as Jones, quietly Val has become a very skilled shot-smith. While she has a very solid front end (like Jones and/or Homan) her problem occurs at third where Lori Olson-Johns is a solid team presence and non-panicky vice but nowhere near the shot-maker of either Miskew or Lawes.

That said - Val's more conservative game might work better than Jones all-risk/all-in game at the worlds - she'd go 7-4 or 8-3.....and qualify!

I can only imagine what Jones would do if her team somehow ended up with a trashbin record of 4-7 or 5-6 at this year's event.

i dont know legend, i think tough ice conditions like in this worlds unsettle rachel. we saw that in latvia early on. i think rachel would have a similar record in the round robin that she did in riga. i would say round robin recordm8 8 and 3. sigfridsson and muirhead would be her biggest obstacles as they are to jones. only other teams i would think shed have to look out for would be paetz and sidorova.

its hard to say with sweeting because she has never been to a worlds, in fact i dont think she has ever curled outside canada. but, again i think she would be good for an 8 and 3 or 7 and 4 record, maybe even 6 and 5. there would be more teams i could see beating her such as paetz, liu or ogasawara , who has a couple wins over her on tour this year.

Last edited by misty1 on 03-15-15 at 06:41PM

03-15-15 07:55PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:

i dont know legend, i think tough ice conditions like in this worlds unsettle rachel. we saw that in latvia early on. i think rachel would have a similar record in the round robin that she did in riga. i would say round robin recordm8 8 and 3. sigfridsson and muirhead would be her biggest obstacles as they are to jones. only other teams i would think shed have to look out for would be paetz and sidorova.

its hard to say with sweeting because she has never been to a worlds, in fact i dont think she has ever curled outside canada. but, again it think she would be good for an 8 and 3 or 7 and 4 record, maybe even 6 and 5. there would be more teams i could see beating her such as paetz, liu or ogasawara , who has a couple wins over her on tour this year.

Do you not think that Rachel's game has evolved a lot since Riga, and that similar ice conditions would not be as much a factor as her first time at the Worlds?

And in response to Legend, or maybe more a question either you or others can answer is what happened to Jones' old coach Janet Arnott? I know many did not like her over the years, but they have had a lot of success with her. So just curious.

Sweeting was not playing well this weekend. Not her usual razor sharp game.

03-15-15 08:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

Do you not think that Rachel's game has evolved a lot since Riga, and that similar ice conditions would not be as much a factor as her first time at the Worlds?

And in response to Legend, or maybe more a question either you or others can answer is what happened to Jones' old coach Janet Arnott? I know many did not like her over the years, but they have had a lot of success with her. So just curious.

Sweeting was not playing well this weekend. Not her usual razor sharp game.

it has but even since then ive noticed that when ice conditions are tricky rachel gets unsettled

03-15-15 09:02PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
this worlds has been so ..scrappy through the first 3 draws and the quality just isnt there

admittedly sweden was lucky to be down one after 4 but canada is lucky not to be down a couple after 5

Well it's pretty normal to be scrappy, have poor quality early, getting used to the ice and all.

03-15-15 09:07PM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
wow. eve gasses her last rock draw to full 8 foot and japan steals the win.

fantastic day for japan, knocking off sweden and scotland even if a little luck was involved

rough day for eve though

really interesting standings. finland and japan 2-1 while sweden and scotland are 1-2 ..didnt see that coming

Standings are kind of interesting, Finland may be underrated, or Denmark may be overrated, Denmark have one of the best coaches here, yet Nielsen can usually not perform well enough, but it's still early.

Surely you knew that even though Scotland were favored to beat Japan, it wasn't going to be near automatic and that it would be very tough, Scotland did not play well vs. Canada and it carried over.

03-15-15 09:14PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

That's the way China, just give it to us.

Anyhow, the poor play is attributed at least a lot to the ice issues.

03-15-15 09:19PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

russ howard really makes me sick sometimes with the amount of drooling he will do

every single shot canada makes is a thing of beauty according to him, even a simple peel

03-15-15 09:21PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
russ howard really makes me sick sometimes with the amount of drooling he will do

every single shot canada makes is a thing of beauty according to him, even a simple peel

Well it could be when Officer has not been making those peels, so just to make one again is pretty good news.

03-15-15 09:23PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

Standings are kind of interesting, Finland may be underrated, or Denmark may be overrated, Denmark have one of the best coaches here, yet Nielsen can usually not perform well enough, but it's still early.

Surely you knew that even though Scotland were favored to beat Japan, it wasn't going to be near automatic and that it would be very tough, Scotland did not play well vs. Canada and it carried over.

I know that japan will be tough, i picked them to make playoffs as a darkhorse pick. but its the way eve lost. you dont expect her to miss that kind of shot to win

03-15-15 09:25PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Well it could be when Officer has not been making those peels, so just to make one again is pretty good news.

that still doesnt excuse russ drooling over every shot canada makes. note it but dont call it a beautiful stone

chinese skip is really struggling tonight

03-15-15 09:26PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

I know that japan will be tough, i picked them to make playoffs as a darkhorse pick. but its the way eve lost. you dont expect her to miss that kind of shot to win

If you saw how she played vs. Canada then yeah you can expect that sort of thing, especially with how bad the ice was yesterday.

03-15-15 09:29PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

If you saw how she played vs. Canada then yeah you can expect that sort of thing, especially with how bad the ice was yesterday.

yeah but she was curling good all game against japan. she was looking much stronger, draw weight didnt seem to be a huge problem.

but , whatever. all im saying is it was surprising in the context of the game and given how it had gone. she was in control most of that game. im okay with it happening because it really helps japan out

03-15-15 09:32PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

that still doesnt excuse russ drooling over every shot canada makes. note it but dont call it a beautiful stone

chinese skip is really struggling tonight

Russ is just a complimentary sort of guy. Seems like a weird thing to be upset about.

03-15-15 09:35PM
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:

yeah but she was curling good all game against japan. she was looking much stronger, draw weight didnt seem to be a huge problem.

but , whatever. all im saying is it was surprising in the context of the game and given how it had gone. she was in control most of that game. im okay with it happening because it really helps japan out

Yeah, I myself am going to put the 1st 2 days in the past as the play was abysmal due to the ice and say the event really starts today with the new ice, now we will really see what's going on. China obviously having great difficulty in reading/adapting to it so far.

Last edited by Stoner on 03-15-15 at 09:37PM