M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 21 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-06-15 07:08PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I completely forgot how putrid Scales and Bubbsey were. Was Jeff Stoughton even in the Manitoba championship field? If not that explains how these guys clawed their way to the Brier. Did K-Mart also sit out the Alberta championships?

I think that was the year of the boycott. I remember one skip had to choose between his pre- booked cruise & the wrath of his wife or the brier...he chose the brier, his wife went on the cruise.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-06-15 07:15PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I completely forgot how putrid Scales and Bubbsey were. Was Jeff Stoughton even in the Manitoba championship field? If not that explains how these guys clawed their way to the Brier. Did K-Mart also sit out the Alberta championships?

I don't think Stoughton was in the field for 2003 Safeway.. I believe he was in the field for the 2004 Safeway and lost in the final to Scales.. Pretty sure I remember Steve Gould saying that loss to Scales is the loss that bugs him the most in his career

The Martin/Walchuck/Rycroft/Bartlett team I believe participated in the Alberta championships in 2001.. Pretty sure they didn't participate in 2002 and 2003.. Have no clue regarding 2004 and I think they participated in 2005..

03-06-15 07:54PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Does any site provide individual curlers stats? It used to be on curlzone, which I liked. Thx

03-06-15 08:27PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

Any luck finding another championship, no well that's cause one doesn't exist.

Sure it does, the UEFA Champions League (most prestigious club championship in Europe) gives its winner a pass into the next year's tournament should they not qualify high enough in their league to grab a regular qualification spot. This happened to Liverpool in 2005 when they won the Champions League but finished fifth in the Premier League (only top 4 get a spot).

In golf the US Open, British Open, Masters all give the previous years various exemptions into the next years tournament (for the Masters it's a lifetime exemption).

The America's Cup yachting champions' club gets a free pass to defend in the next series. All the challengers have to sail off against each other to take on the representative selected from the defending champions' club. Perhaps not the best example as it's a "challenge cup" but it allows me to quote Ric Flair and say that in yachting...."To be the Man, you've got to beat the Man!"

NASCAR reserves one spot in each race for the most recent Past Champion who could not qualify through other means.

Getting back to curling I think another quality team in the field is a good idea. So if there was no Team Canada this year we would have been forced to watch Nova Scotia or the Yukon go sub .500 or get bagled like NWT did this year? I get the arguments on both sides but I like the way it is now and am not bothered by how relegation works. TSN pretty much had TWO games of high quality each night and it made me happy to see so many high quality teams mix it up every night. I know the Grand Slams/Canada Cup pit high quality teams against each other every draw but none of those qualify you for the World's or name you Canada's Champion.

Times change, the Brier/Scotties will survive. Attendance is dropping but not because of this particular relegation change as it has been dropping slowly for years. People like their HD curling at home and I can't blame them for that. The NFL is having the same issue where TV beats the live game experience for many people. You can equate the Tail-Gaiting to the Patch and even that can't keep attendance up as TV ratings grow for both sports.

03-06-15 08:28PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

The two highest scoring teams for the week, PF is 80 for both. The major difference is PA, where Jacobs is only 39 while Gushue is 61. Blank canvas now.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-06-15 08:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

mark can more than hang with ryan . this will be a tight one for sure. i think it also really hinges heavily how how geoff and brett can stay with ryan and e.j in setting up an end. you cant leave mark and brad always trying to make hero shots

03-06-15 09:20PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
And if you want a bunch of club curlers than watch the travellers curling club championships. The brier was made for the best curlers in Canada.

With the advent of olympic inclusion, a whole new level of professional curlers has evolved. Time/conditioning commitments, teams comprised of top curlers irrespective of origin, very costly travel commitments around the world etc. As a result the traditional teams comprised of friends or club teams that used to go to the brier and represent their province, no longer exist as the best teams in Canada. We all know some provinces second or third best teams may be better than the best of some province/territory, and therefore I feel our rep to world competition should come from the slam/money tournaments where all the best teams compete and have opportunity to win.

The Jacobs team consists of a cousin and 2 brother, olympic gold medallist, brier champs. Looks like a team of friends can still win big.

03-06-15 09:23PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Three

Sure it does, the UEFA Champions League (most prestigious club championship in Europe) gives its winner a pass into the next year's tournament should they not qualify high enough in their league to grab a regular qualification spot. This happened to Liverpool in 2005 when they won the Champions League but finished fifth in the Premier League (only top 4 get a spot).

In golf the US Open, British Open, Masters all give the previous years various exemptions into the next years tournament (for the Masters it's a lifetime exemption).

The America's Cup yachting champions' club gets a free pass to defend in the next series. All the challengers have to sail off against each other to take on the representative selected from the defending champions' club. Perhaps not the best example as it's a "challenge cup" but it allows me to quote Ric Flair and say that in yachting...."To be the Man, you've got to beat the Man!"

NASCAR reserves one spot in each race for the most recent Past Champion who could not qualify through other means.

Getting back to curling I think another quality team in the field is a good idea. So if there was no Team Canada this year we would have been forced to watch Nova Scotia or the Yukon go sub .500 or get bagled like NWT did this year? I get the arguments on both sides but I like the way it is now and am not bothered by how relegation works. TSN pretty much had TWO games of high quality each night and it made me happy to see so many high quality teams mix it up every night. I know the Grand Slams/Canada Cup pit high quality teams against each other every draw but none of those qualify you for the World's or name you Canada's Champion.

Times change, the Brier/Scotties will survive. Attendance is dropping but not because of this particular relegation change as it has been dropping slowly for years. People like their HD curling at home and I can't blame them for that. The NFL is having the same issue where TV beats the live game experience for many people. You can equate the Tail-Gaiting to the Patch and even that can't keep attendance up as TV ratings grow for both sports.

My question was too name another canadian championship where all provinces and territories have equal representation not if the champions get byes.

03-06-15 09:39PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

Do you think Russ is cheering for Newfoundland? He's being way more partisan than usual. They should have maybe got Mudryk to call this one. He must really want Gushue to get his first Brier title.

03-06-15 09:41PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
Someone on here claimed Jamie Koe played the bronze medal game in 2012 on a half hours sleep

And reading his twitter account yeah Jamie Koe seems more excited about the Brier patch than anything else

I'm not sure about the half hour of sleep, but he definitely shut the Patch down the night before in fine form.

03-06-15 09:55PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

For the love of God

Would someone please tell Vic after years and years how to pronounce Gushue. It's goo shoe. Not like the Asian golfer
Guzhu. He's mispronounced it since Brad has been in juniors. Russ, if you are his friend, tell him!

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 03-06-15 at 09:59PM

03-06-15 09:57PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Its a bad combination. Gushue is shooting lights out and is very determine to win. Jacob is just badly off sync.

03-06-15 10:01PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:

My question was too name another canadian championship where all provinces and territories have equal representation not if the champions get byes.

Sorry Par, in my post I actually meant to quote Ventry with his question below, but got mixed up with your post that included his quote. Apologies.

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

What other governing body gives a free pass to past champions?

03-06-15 10:06PM
Three
Swing Artist

Wow, big three by NO, did not see that coming a few shots ago. Gutsy call for sure.

03-06-15 10:09PM
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Three
Wow, big three by NO, did not see that coming a few shots ago. Gutsy call for sure.

Gushue should have played a back line or hack tap/take-out on shot stone on his last. There was zero room for error on his last shot and he hadn't thrown a draw all game.

Of course he was playing to make it and was probably feeling cheated after the result from his first shot.

03-06-15 10:46PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Amazing shot making. Absolutely great.

03-07-15 12:30AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:

And if you want a bunch of club curlers than watch the travellers curling club championships. The brier was made for the best curlers in Canada.

I just watched a game between a couple of folks named Jacobs and Gushue...they looked like a couple of pretty good rinks to me.

03-07-15 12:39AM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

do not worry nova scotia, nunuvut will not send a team next year and the yukon and nwt will soon follow. good plan by CCA to kill participation from the territories.

03-07-15 01:58AM
yukonboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yukonboy Find more posts by yukonboy Add yukonboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yukonboy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

I just watched a game between a couple of folks named Jacobs and Gushue...they looked like a couple of pretty good rinks to me.

Two teams who have benefitted with being able to learn the ropes at the brier, among other places to become as skilled, experienced and as successful as they are today.

03-07-15 03:39AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

That's what the Slam events are for, and the Canada Cup.

You're saying the Brier is not meant to have really good teams?

03-07-15 04:27AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
oh, and funded for two years by the feds at about $50k per player - thats fair to everyone

at least make the funding a one time only occurrence

Who gets funded 50k per player, cause if that's true I doubt any of the guys would still be working. 50 k plus tour money and sponsorships would be enough.

03-07-15 04:42AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by gmay48
do not worry nova scotia, nunuvut will not send a team next year and the yukon and nwt will soon follow. good plan by CCA to kill participation from the territories.

Good so everyone from nova scotia can stop complaining, now you guys are deciding not to participate.

03-07-15 05:24AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

I was unable to watch this one two game played, Mmmm me thinks to beat them N.O. boys from the Sooooo one must play better to win..... tell that to the Gooooo shue , 'the back door" way is usually filled with anxious nerving moments WHERE it doesn't necessarily go your way.....with a little luck , rub, tick and score PERHAPS.... so it will be titillating to watch Saturday's playoff round and may the fans be treated to some great shot making moments...

03-07-15 07:02AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

You're saying the Brier is not meant to have really good teams?

The Brier is meant to have the best teams representing their provinces and territories.

If you want to watch the very best individual teams in Canada and the world play, then support the Slam events and the Canada Cup. As long as enough people support those events, they'll continue to happen.

As long as the CCA is a non-profit, government funded organization, their mandate should not be dictated solely by sponsorships and TV deals.

I think the importance of the Brier as a Canadian institution is getting overlooked. Having a team represent your province is a large part of what makes the Brier the Brier. I can tell you I will lose interest in the event if it becomes just another Slam event.

03-07-15 07:11AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

The Brier is meant to have the best teams representing their provinces and territories.

If you want to watch the very best individual teams in Canada and the world play, then support the Slam events and the Canada Cup. As long as enough people support those events, they'll continue to happen.

As long as the CCA is a non-profit, government funded organization, their mandate should not be dictated solely by sponsorships and TV deals.

I think the importance of the Brier as a Canadian institution is getting overlooked. Having a team represent your province is a large part of what makes the Brier the Brier. I can tell you I will lose interest in the event if it becomes just another Slam event.

Every province and territory are represented...just 3 of them will not be in the main event each year due to losing games early. How was it fair to have a pre-qualification for NWT/YK and NOT EVEN HAVE NU involved (they didn't even have the option to compete...), but now that it is actually showcased and teams other than the north are subject to this, you are all complaining.

Talk about double standard. I don't listen to people who's opinions contain double standard as they 1) don't understand the facts pre and post change and 2) they are only piping up because now it affects them.

So sad to see people say they are looking out for the best interest of the sport, when in reality, it is just looking out for them. High performance has nothing to do with the declining numbers at clubs and neither will this pre-qualification - if anything, it will force the provincial and territorial associations to do something different, create new interest, force people to get better, etc. How can that be a bad thing?

I mean come on...it's of the general consensus of this message forum that Jamie Koe is more there for the patch than to actually curl...only allow teams in after a win out there and he would probably approach things different...but he's fine taking his 9 day all inclusive vacation (flight, hotel, per diem, etc etc. all paid for by Curling Canada). Who's the real bad guy here? Maybe let someone else from NWT who actually wants to try to win get there instead of autoberthing Koe every year so he can get his drink on on Curling Canada's dime. #classy