Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Tours, Events and Major Championships > Playdowns > 2016 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 23 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-19-16 11:26AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Three

I think if a team goes 3-0 they are still forced to play a "Championship" game against the best 2nd place team.

Well that would take away my confusion. Thanks!

Still a miserably stupid arrangement, though, no?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-19-16 11:37AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
If Galusha loses to BC and they both end up 2-1 that sets up the final confrontation for the spot.

... unless Nunavut also beat the Yukon, in which case there would be three teams at 2-1 and one at 0-3.

And again we would have a team eliminated on draw-to-the-button distances. Argggh...

02-19-16 11:43AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question next question

what is the Pre-Qual game on Sat then??

MT.............Draw...
1:30 p.m...... 1....QC vs ON.... Pre-Qual ...AB vs CA... SK vs NS

02-19-16 11:46AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
glad they are going back to normal after 2017

removing a stake from the heart of the scott and the brier

bc should ALWAYs be included ...

curl canada should fund $10,000 for the yukon rep to have a spot in the bc playoffs , $10,000 for nwt to have a spot in the alberta playoffs , $10,000 for nunavit to have a spot in saskatchewan playoffs,

if the northern teams or the 3 western provinces find this unlivable --

after two years the spots should shift east to mb, no, ont

after 2 more years east to que, nb , ns

etc

ill donate 1 return flight using my westjet or ac airmiles to help

Or perhaps fund travel between the territories to have one full territory playoff.

02-19-16 11:48AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

Re: next question

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
what is the Pre-Qual game on Sat then??

MT.............Draw...
1:30 p.m...... 1....QC vs ON.... Pre-Qual ...AB vs CA... SK vs NS

That will be the pre-qualifier championship, or in essence the game to get into the main draw. Too bad it's up against the AB/CA game. I'll want to watch both.

02-19-16 12:53PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

A 2-2 team could go on in the Scotties competition, while a 3-1 team gets relegated.

02-19-16 01:46PM
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by guido
A 2-2 team could go on in the Scotties competition, while a 3-1 team gets relegated.

Ain't it bee-you-tee-full?

To me, the maddening thing about this is that they could easily make the qualification round a double-knockout, avoiding any possibility of elimination by draw-distances, or tiebreakers, or the sort of nonsense that is now possible.

Last edited by Par on 02-19-16 at 01:49PM

02-19-16 02:24PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
glad they are going back to normal after 2017

I wouldn't call two seeded pools "normal". I am not a big fan of how the Juniours are run at all.

02-19-16 02:29PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:

I wouldn't call two seeded pools "normal". I am not a big fan of how the Juniours are run at all.

Yes having 14 teams is way too many and just waters down the field even more.

02-19-16 04:32PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Pre Qualifying

The standings page on here for Pre Qual show BC playing Yukon at 4:20MT.. ...

that should be BC against NT...

02-19-16 04:58PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:

Have they decided on the two pools? I got the sense they were going to go with a 15 team round robin. A lot of games, but it does seem preferable to two pools.

02-19-16 05:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im pretty sure they are doing pools. a 15 team round robin would mean about 2 more days of competition for the round robin. that would mean the event would either have to start on a thursday or end on a tuesday and they dont want that

02-19-16 05:21PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
im pretty sure they are doing pools. a 15 team round robin would mean about 2 more days of competition for the round robin. that would mean the event would either have to start on a thursday or end on a tuesday and they dont want that

You wouldn't want that. What you would do is add a fifth sheet, push the playoffs to Saturday (you can always just cancel the bronze game) and play another full day Friday instead. If you add a morning draw to the opening Saturday I think the draw works out. Each team plays two games for seven straight days.

I actually don't have a big problem with the current format, but if you're gonna have everybody, I'd rather have one pool than two.

02-19-16 06:34PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Pre Qual BC - NT

the geek will be scoring the game..

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/693

delayed a bit by the Hot shots..

02-19-16 07:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so if yukon beats nunavut and northwest territories defeat british columbia then northwest territories goes through to the qualifier game but how will it work for the other 3? double tiebreakers?

02-19-16 08:31PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Hotshots

Top 8

Selena Kaatz
Robyn Green
Jenn Brine
Marie-France Larouche
Jennifer Jones
Marie Christianson
Sarah Murphy
Blisse Joyce

Atlantic provinces doing well there. 5/8 final 8

02-19-16 09:47PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Finally decided

Pre-Qualifiers..

BC goes head to head again with NT at 1:30MT in the PQ final

to see who gets to play in the main RR event

02-19-16 09:49PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Brutal curling by both BC and Nt.

02-19-16 10:10PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Re: Hotshots

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Top 8
Selena Kaatz mb
Robyn Green pe
Jenn Brine ns
Marie-France Larouche qc
Jennifer Jones mb
Marie Christianson pe
Sarah Murphy ns
Blisse Joyce ns
Atlantic provinces doing well there. 5/8 final 8 Two MB and one QC

depth in NS

02-20-16 02:36AM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Ford Hot Shots - a little detail

quote:
Jenn Brine is listed as an alternate for Team NS at this weeks STOH but she showed Friday she can match shots with the best curlers here.
The 27-year-old, who will actually be rotating at second with Blisse Joyce, filled in for ill skip Jill Brothers and was tied with four other veteran front-enders for top spot after the first round of shots in the 2016 Ford Hot Shots skills competition.
Jill wasnt feeling the best this afternoon so I filled in last minute, said Brine.
Being tied for top spot with two skips and a pair of thirds was, as she said pretty awesome.
Brine, Jennifer Jones, QC skip Marie-France Larouche and thirds Robyn Green of PEI and Selena Kaatz of MB were all tied with 24 points.
P.E.I. lead Marie Christianson and NS third Sarah Murphy had 23 points and Joyce had 22 points.
The annual competition sees curlers attempting six different shots: Hit and Stay, Draw the Button, Draw the Port, The Raise, Hit and Roll and Double Takeout. Each shot is awarded points on a scale from 0-5 depending on the end result of the shot.
The top eight advance to Sats playoffs the final eight, final four and then the final, that begin at 10:30 a.m.MT
The winner receives a two-year lease on a 2016 EcoBoost powered Ford Edge Sport SUV, with an approximate retail value of $49,789 MSRP.
The runner-up receives $2,000, while the third-place finisher gets $1,000.

02-20-16 09:34AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

My Predictions

Not that anyone necessarily cares, but I figured I'd share for the fun of it.

http://www.nerdcurl.com/2016/02/19/...es-predictions/

4th: Northern Ontario (McCarville)
Bronze Canada (Jones)
Silver Manitoba (Einarson)
Gold Alberta (Carey)

Jones is obviously the heavy favorite, and given their ability and history rightfully so. They've been in this exact position before, and (on paper at least) this is probably one of the easier (if the not the easiest) field they've seen. I think not having to play provincials could be a blessing or a curse, but like I said it's not like the experience is new to them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them be dominant throughout, but something tells me it just isn't going to happen.

I just have a feeling that Carey is going to pull it off. They certainly have the ability, and I think their bounce-back from that heartbreaking playoff loss to Sweeting in the provincial says a lot. I think they want it bad and have the tools to make it happen.

Einarson has had a pretty good year on tour and has a bit of something to prove. They've done well against some tough fields, and I think that will help. As for McCarville, they've been dominant in their tour season, and were in the provincial as well. I just have a feeling they're going to fall short of making the final. I wouldn't be surprised to see either of these teams win it all though.

Regarding the field, it's not all about OOM & CTRS point, and I think in general this field has been getting a bum rap from some. It's not like these teams won a raffle to get in, they earned their place. Sure, some provincials have tougher fields than others but a win is a win. On top of that, it's not like these are all teams of fresh-faced newcomers either. Quite a bit of experience in this field. Overall, just a lot of teams that fly under the radar and aren't seen in the big-time events as often. That doesn't make them any less dangerous though...it's sports, and anything can happen. That goes double for curling. Not to mention the inherent motivation that comes from representing your province on a national stage. Never underestimate the power of pride coupled with a desire to prove something. I could definitely see a dark horse team (or several) emerging and making waves, possibly going so far as to take it all.

Anyway, I really think this is going to be a good one.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-20-16 02:14PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

It will come down to skips

Curling Minds..-
1. Krista McCarville..when she was a young 24..year old playing out of the northern forest of Ontario..won the provincial title beating out giants like Hanna and double world champ Bodogh..

This will be her 6th STOH.. she has what will prove to be one of the Top 3rds in the field. and a reliable front end..
She has the strategy,, if the shots come in a long event.. she will be in the Top 4 of RR

2. Jolene Campbell..well-mentored by one of the best skips ever from SK.. Amber Holland..they beta out perennial champ Lawton..playing 3 back to back games on the last day to do so..definitely a dark horse..

3.Einarson.. obviously has one of the top Thirds as shown in the Hot Shots.. believe she is the "next one" in the bison province.. just not sure this new experience will get her to a playoff..as good as they are.

4.Suzanne Birt.. always dangerous.. plagued by curling politics on the spud island.. but looks like Robyn Green is solidly in the house with her... a lethal combo.. may make playoffs.. oh an their lead is very very good too
----------------------------

02-20-16 04:25PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Jenny was so narrow on that shot.. She isn't sharp at all..What a hole TC is in already

02-20-16 04:28PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World
Jenny was so narrow on that shot.. She isn't sharp at all..What a hole TC is in already

Yeah I wasn't expecting that at all. But Alberta played a fantastic end and that first shot by Carey was a beauty!

02-20-16 04:35PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Is this what ML means by "barfing". OMG. Big Trouble Paradise.
Am a Chelsea fan though so... exciting beginning. I see BC is on the board - a force. So Kerry is pushing... then takes a single herself.