M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 14 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-28-16 05:01PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: ^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i hate that ideology myself. we are taught to believe that gold is the only medal that counts .anyone who still clings to the idea that gold is the only acceptable medal for canada has yet to accept that the world, especially on the womens side has caught up to us. in a field of 12 finishing 2nd or 3rd is still really good and canada, as you point out has only missed the podium a hand full of times in history. somewhat ironically the most recent times canada missed the podium were when we had arguably 2 of our best ever teams present. colleen jones in 2002 and jenniffer jones in 2005 and 2009

If an athlete is satisfied with silver then they are doomed to be second all their life.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-28-16 05:04PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im not hoping brad loses in newfoundland but i wouldnt object to seeing a new face there .

01-28-16 05:06PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Re: ^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by decade

If an athlete is satisfied with silver then they are doomed to be second all their life.

when your in an event you go for gold but when all is said and done 2nd out of 12 teams is a great result.

01-28-16 05:08PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

About as much chance as Brad Wall losing to the NDP in Saskatchewan!

oh, i know. that analogy doesnt work on me though. more like as likely as maria sharapova defeating serena williams ever agin

01-28-16 06:01PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: ^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Nice attitude. What do you tell your kids if they don't finish first in everything they participate? Do you call them losers if they think participating, competing, striving to improve and then medalling is pretty damn good?

It's no wonder people are not entering playdowns with jackasses like this tearing them down for trying.

01-28-16 06:09PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Personally, I woulld hate to see Gushue lose. I am not averse to someone else representing the Rock, but I sure would love to see him win a Brier for NL and quite frankly, he is the best bet. In my humble opinion, Team Gushue is top 3 in the world currently. I have followed him since 2003 Brier and regardless of what anyone says, That team is disciplined. They have committed all the time and energy to get to where they are so it would be awesome to see them win this years Brier and come back as Team Canada when the Brier comes to St. John's...I plan to purchase my tickets asap...there will be large contingency of NFLDers converging on St Johns for that event and Gushue being Team Canada would be the icing on the cake. Certainly, I don't expect everyone to agree with this....it's just my thing.

01-28-16 06:38PM
number 1 fan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for number 1 fan Click here to Send number 1 fan a Private Message Find more posts by number 1 fan Add number 1 fan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
number 1 fan
Knee-Slider

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NLcurlingguy
[B]Personally, I woulld hate to see Gushue lose. I am not averse to someone else representing the Rock, but I sure would love to see him win a Brier for NL and quite frankly, he is the best bet.

If he does win, NL will have 2 teams in the 2017 Tankard in St. Johns.

01-28-16 06:51PM
NLcurlingguy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NLcurlingguy Click here to Send NLcurlingguy a Private Message Find more posts by NLcurlingguy Add NLcurlingguy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NLcurlingguy
Harvey Hacksmasher

There you go. Misty 1s new face from NL

01-28-16 08:26PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Or Ronda Rowdy Rousey toppling Hollywood Holly Holm!

Can always count on Manitoba Legend for a terrible analogy. Rousey is the slight favourite for her next fight with Holm. It would surprise no one but you if Rousey won.

01-28-16 09:34PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Re: Triple knockout makes financial sense

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I've always liked the triple knockout myself...yes the round robin has tradition. But with some Provincial Associations struggling financially, the triple knockout would be easier to run and once a team is out, they can leave if they want. Shorter event = less costs.

Yes there is some uncertainty but that is what makes it exciting.

For me, the trouble with utilizing a triple knockout format is that it doesn't align with that the nationals are using (round-robin). Best to get a winning team that can handle a long round-robin format that sets them up well for Nationals imo.

01-28-16 10:02PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

NWT playdowns have started.
Kerry Galusha has started well halfway through the double round robin with a 3-0 record and with the other 3 teams at 1-2. I'm not sure how qualifying works, but there is a final if necessary, so one would gues

On the men's side, Jamie Koe and Greg Skauge are 2-0 with Stephen Moss and D'Arcy Delorey right behind at 2-1 after 3 draws. 7 teams are participating this year and the way it's written on their site, it looks like 3 teams will make the playoffs.

Scores are found here. https://nwtcurling.com/page.php?nwt_Scores

01-29-16 01:00AM
ShiningBowie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBowie Click here to Send ShiningBowie a Private Message Find more posts by ShiningBowie Add ShiningBowie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBowie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: ^^^^

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

somewhat ironically the most recent times canada missed the podium were when we had arguably 2 of our best ever teams present. colleen jones in 2002 and jenniffer jones in 2005 and 2009

If memory serves me correctly these are the only times. Unless someone has done it since. I noted in 2009-2010 that everyone had been "keeping up with the Jones'" in the last 10 years and yet they were the only two skips to fail to medal at worlds up to that point.
The only skip that comes to mind that may not have earned a medal was Nedohin so i'm gonna go look it up now. I for one don't care if we don't always send our best from each province as was already noted we need to grow the sport again. There was a time in history when any Canadian women's champion stepped onto the World's ice as the clear favorite. We need depth like that to be sustainable in the future.

01-29-16 01:04AM
ShiningBowie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ShiningBowie Click here to Send ShiningBowie a Private Message Find more posts by ShiningBowie Add ShiningBowie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ShiningBowie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Upon further digging the Jones' remain the only skips not to medal at Women's worlds since 1979.

Colleen: 1982, 1999, 2002
Jennifer: 2005, 2009

So there you have it... our winning-est skips are also our losing-est skips on the world stage. Rachel not going to the national championship means nothing when you look at history. Any of our champions can win and any of our champions can (and remarkably only our "best" in hind sight have) lose.

01-29-16 01:10AM
ShiningBowie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by number 1 fan
[QUOTE]Originally posted by NLcurlingguy
[B]Personally, I woulld hate to see Gushue lose. I am not averse to someone else representing the Rock, but I sure would love to see him win a Brier for NL and quite frankly, he is the best bet.

If he does win, NL will have 2 teams in the 2017 Tankard in St. Johns.

That's not necessarily true as there is a Team Canada in place at the Brier now. He might end up being the champion and then the NL Tankard would be wide open.

Colleen Jones appeared at the Hearts 21 times so far, with 15 times winning the NS Scotties. Yet, the ladies never stopped trying because there were going to be years scattered throughout when she wouldn't need to take that route and they would get their chance to shine. Also, competing against her was most likely a chance to learn and grow.

01-29-16 04:51PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well.. it does look like symonds was giving gushue a good game before the steal of 2 in 8

01-29-16 07:22PM
raskew is offline Click Here to See the Profile for raskew Click here to Send raskew a Private Message Find more posts by raskew Add raskew to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
raskew
Knee-Slider

It could be a really really good thing for curling in Canada with all these upsets in the provincials. Canada already has by far the greatest depth of curlers and the only thing that will change that is if young up and comers feel like they will never get to the very top. In Manitoba you had a young team win (helped that JJ wasn't there) and had a really young team make the final 4 ( Birchard). I have to believe there are curlers all over the province thinking they can rise to the top with hard work. I think that dream was dashed a bit in the last decade or so. This is why Canadien curling is so good.

01-29-16 09:14PM
MBTuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MBTuck Click here to Send MBTuck a Private Message Find more posts by MBTuck Add MBTuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MBTuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Actually, the re-match Rousey demnded after nearly getting her head kicked off by Holm has been postponed. Rousey is getting easy money for doing a couple movies and Holm has taken an interim fight against the woman Rousey dubbed "Cupcake", Miesha Tate....

Holm got decent money for kicking Ronda's head to Timbuktu but she'll get a million (or more) for the re-match. In a way she needs Ronda to screw up the courage to fight again. Ronda is only a slight reputational favurite - there's no doubt in my mind Holly will kick Ronda's head off AGAIN!

That will essentially end Ronda's fighting career - dooming her to movies and plus-sized modelling!

You're still wrong. You can look up the odds for the potential fight online. You can get odds for anything online. This is why everyone can't stand you on this forum. You make a complete nonsensical comment. And the math and logic defy you. And you still argue your side.

UFC is unpredictable. Rousey clearly had a terrible gameplan. She tried to box a boxer. And even tho Rousey has manhandled Tate, who knows what will happen in Holm/Tate.

Stick to a subject you know something about....like 1970's curling.

01-30-16 12:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

looks like colin thomas actually held in there with gushue for a while. if they stick with it that team might be the heir to the newfoundland crown once gushue retires /declines

IF there is a team that could pull the upset off this year it might be them

01-30-16 05:10PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Question guess who is back

Stacie Curtis ( Devereaux ) .. won the NL Scotties
never lost a game...

-------------------

3-4 teams:

- Double Round Robin
- Any undefeated team will be declared the winner outright without playoffs
- If all teams have a loss, top 2 into a one game final

Last edited by HotRocks on 01-30-16 at 05:31PM

01-30-16 08:53PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so colin thomas will play brad gushue in the final. lets see what kind of fight he can put up in the final

01-31-16 01:57PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well, it should come as a surprise to no one that Brad Gushue won Newfoundland

01-31-16 03:21PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

getting closer to knowing the full field in the main event, only Saskatchewan remains.

Sylvie Robichaud wins New Brunswick

01-31-16 03:31PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Galusha won NWT. So we are waiting on Lawton/Campbell/Silvernagle to clinch the last spot of the Scotties.

01-31-16 05:25PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

SK womens final at 6ET

If you want to follow that final.. Curl Sask has this webcast site

.. http://curlsask.ca/

third game today for Jolene Campbell...

01-31-16 07:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

we have yet another upset in the making with campbell up 5-1 on lawton after 4

man..could be a scotties with no lawton, homan , scott or sweeting