Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 14 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-05-15 01:01AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner
An interesting scenario would be if Gushue wins the Brier this year, then next year comes back as team Canada, but because his province has barely any curling, there might not even be an entry, or if their is the team will be weak and will probably be relegated, so they might not be in the next year, or Gushue might not defend, so would then have to play the qualifying to get back in, which he will most likely win of course.

In one way, I think this would be a good thing as it would give a non-Gushue Newfoundland team a shot at a Brier. On the other hand, it would be kind of silly if Newfoundland then got relegated. Gushue could go from being in the playoffs one year, to having to fight through relegation the next.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-05-15 01:18AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

Anyone know what would happen if say NL didn't even have a team to send, I'm guessing then that 2 teams would get promoted instead of 1. I'm thinking though if Casey ends up finishing last, which doesn't look likely at this point, but if it did and Gushue won, that Casey would go back to the rock and have a team their maybe.

03-05-15 01:28AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

St. John's is biding for the brier in 2017 which would keep them from relegation. Maybe that's an option for provinces facing relegation just try to host.

03-05-15 01:31AM
Stoner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stoner Click here to Send Stoner a Private Message Find more posts by Stoner Add Stoner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stoner
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89
St. John's is biding for the brier in 2017 which would keep them from relegation. Maybe that's an option for provinces facing relegation just try to host.

Yeah, the hosting maybe screws up the relegation scenario, what is the rule for it, is their a rule that says if a province hosts, that they can't be relegated, which would mean the 2nd worst team would be, I don't think they'd be happy about it, and if the host were going to be relegated, they wouldn't be happy and it might be weird to fans to not see the host in there.

03-05-15 01:33AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Stoner

Yeah, the hosting maybe screws up the relegation scenario, what is the rule for it, is their a rule that says if a province hosts, that they can't be relegated, which would mean the 2nd worst team would be, I don't think they'd be happy about it, and if the host were going to be relegated, they wouldn't be happy and it might be weird to fans to not see the host in there.

I'm pretty sure it does work that way but I don't know for sure.

03-05-15 01:57AM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Could he had been referring to Koe who was their skip.

That's what I was thinking.

03-05-15 02:03AM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Shot of the Brier...so far

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I like Gushue, and hope he eventually gets his Brier. But I don't like that he effectively gets a bye into the Brier every year. This year's NL tankard was just sad (a 2 team tourney).

Not Gushue's fault, of course (not that you're saying it is), so I have nothing against Gushue just because he has an easier route to get to the Brier than some others. You could also say Jamie Koe effectively gets a bye, and certainly there have been others in similar positions in the past (maybe Russ Howard for a few years from NB). It's what they do when they get to the Brier that interests me.

03-05-15 03:49AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Overheard comments, did you hear ben Hebert after Pat Simmonns made a fantastic shot, "your old skip wouldn't have made that" within earshot of most curlers on their sheet. Don't know what relationship he has with John.

Ben and John Morris are best buddies and Ben said it to Pat Simmons when John was standing right there. That was out and out teasing, ribbing, whatever you want to call it and John laughed. It was nothing like N Ontario's trash talking.

03-05-15 03:52AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

The current format is still a National Championship. All provinces and territories had the opportunity to qualify.

Do you think its fair that PEI had to play 3 more games than everyone else, or the Brier experience for 3 or 4 teams including having family and friends' support is essentially eliminated every year? Or for 3 to 4 provinces/territories the event is essentially just another Slam event?

Doesn't sound like an appropriate or fair 'national' championship to me.

03-05-15 03:57AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

Do you think its fair that PEI had to play 3 more games than everyone else, or the Brier experience for 3 or 4 teams including having family and friends' support is essentially eliminated every year? Or for 3 to 4 provinces/territories the event is essentially just another Slam event?

10 out of the 12 teams have played in the slams this year.

03-05-15 04:07AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Last time I checked the territories are separate, it's like saying we only need one maritime entry. It's a national championship so every canadian province and territory deserves a spot. Just do away with team Canada, no other sports give a bye to the previous champions.

If it comes down to a choice having to be made between keeping the round robin format by only adding one more team, or this year's format, then I think its reasonable to add the NWT, lose team Canada, and encourage Nunavet with a travel subsidy to compete against the NWT.

If Nunavet reaches a point where they are just as strong as other Brier entries, then the format can be revisited.

03-05-15 04:12AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Prawnpuller
My take on relegation is this...
1. Declare our Canadian champions that will represent Canada at the worlds from the Canada Cup .

Is this really an issue? I don't see a lack of elite teams at this year's Brier or any other years.

03-05-15 04:12AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

If it comes down to a choice having to be made between keeping the round robin format by only adding one more team, or this year's format, then I think its reasonable to add the NWT, lose team Canada, and encourage Nunavet with a travel subsidy to compete against the NWT.

If Nunavet reaches a point where they are just as strong as other Brier entries, then the format can be revisited.

First of all get the name right it's NUNAVUT and they can compete on their own as they are a Canadian territory and it's our national championship. A 14 team event could be done just as easy as a 12 or 13.

03-05-15 04:34AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:

Fair is not the right argument against relegation. Is it fair that PEI had 6 teams enter playdowns while Ontario had 90, Alberta 67, Manitoba 62 and Saskatchewan 54? Or that Newfoundland has 2 teams play? Is is fair that in Ontario, teams had to play 2-3 weekends just to get to Provincials, while in PEI teams could signup and go? In Alberta and Saskatchewan it takes two weekends just to get to provincials.

Please don't use fairness as an argument. The Brier has never been about fairness.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-05-15 06:12AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Fair is not the right argument against relegation. Is it fair that PEI had 6 teams enter playdowns while Ontario had 90, Alberta 67, Manitoba 62 and Saskatchewan 54? Or that Newfoundland has 2 teams play? Is is fair that in Ontario, teams had to play 2-3 weekends just to get to Provincials, while in PEI teams could signup and go? In Alberta and Saskatchewan it takes two weekends just to get to provincials.

Please don't use fairness as an argument. The Brier has never been about fairness.

This has nothing to do with one team having to play another three or four games of curling prior to the brier.

To your point though, its a two way street.

Is it fair that teams from the maritimes are at a competitive disadvantage? It is not feasible for them to travel to the big events and gain the experience needed for success. They can compete at the junior level but not as well at the adult level.

03-05-15 06:21AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

This has nothing to do with one team having to play another three or four games of curling prior to the brier.

To your point though, its a two way street.

Is it fair that teams from the maritimes are at a competitive disadvantage? It is not feasible for them to travel to the big events and gain the experience needed for success. They can compete at the junior level but not as well at the adult level.

Casey has been at all of the slams and over in Europe and so has Gushue. It's only another 3 games played its actually an advantage if you look at it. That's 3 more games to read the ice, and know the rocks.

03-05-15 07:26AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Casey has been at all of the slams and over in Europe and so has Gushue. It's only another 3 games played its actually an advantage if you look at it. That's 3 more games to read the ice, and know the rocks.

Well maybe the CCA should pony up funds to help other maritime teams reach an acceptable competitive level.

I'm not sure the sweepers enjoy 3 more games.

03-05-15 07:31AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

Well maybe the CCA should pony up funds to help other maritime teams reach an acceptable competitive level.

Why can't the teams do it themselves, the rest of the country know how to get sponsored give me an excuse why the maritime teams can't. Why should we use government funds to help them improve. As for the sweepers, they are big boys I think they can handle it after all curlers are athletes now.

Is it unfair in the nhl when one team wins in 4 games and the other team took 7 games. I know people don't like comparison but it's the truth.

03-05-15 07:42AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

why don't the maritime provincial associations pony up thrir own money to mskr sure that their teams are competitive?

Life isn't fair , so why would you expect sports to be?

03-05-15 07:50AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is so absurd. If you want to win, get better. There are many ways of doing so. Hit the gym, throw more rocks, canvas for sponsors so that you can get to one more spiel. You have to start small...if you expect to be going to all the slams and major events right off the bat, then sure, it's daunting and likely not feasible financially. But look at Brad Jacobs. He slowly got better, improved their fitness, more sponsors came to the table and he became olympic champion ahead of the likes of Martin, Howard, Koe, Stoughton, etc who clearly are earmarked for sponsors galore because they are from the west...oh wait now, no, because they are good, have paid their dues and have won some events.

Long story short...get better. There are many ways of doing so.

And yes, it should be up to the teams to get better...not the CCA to mass fund it, or even for the provincial associations to do so (though I would argue it is more the provincial associations responsibility to develop their athletes than it is the CCA's to develop on a provincial/territorial level...)

03-05-15 07:57AM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

Also...looking like NWT will be relegated unless they win their last 3.

Looks good on Jamie after his slander talk against the CCA when Galusha lost out. They all knew the rules going in. She has been there 11 times so her tears didn't phase me...get over it, you've played more games on that stage than 99.9% of female curlers. I wonder if Galusha will be tweeting how unfair it is that Jamie is now in relegation and why didn't the CCA allow easier teams in. #rummybears #getmetothepatch

Ummm...focus on #gettingbetter and you won't need #rummybears to drown out your losses and #thepatch shouldn't be the main focus of your week, Jamie.

03-05-15 07:59AM
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade

why don't the maritime provincial associations pony up thrir own money to mskr sure that their teams are competitive?

Life isn't fair , so why would you expect sports to be?

You know, it is what is. It's either a national championship or its not. Excluding teams, or not making it worthwhile to compete, is not a way to grow the sport.

Exclusivity should not be the mandate of any 'Canadian' association. It's as simple as that.

I don't think there is a system that will satisfy everyone. How do you determine that one provincial playdown doesn't fit the criteria of being competitive enough.

03-05-15 07:59AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

This relegation issue is just a part of a Canadian tradition of trying to please everyone but you end up just pissing everyone off.

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 03-05-15 at 10:14AM

03-05-15 08:04AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

You know, it is what is. It's either a national championship or its not. Excluding teams, or not making it worthwhile to compete, is not a way to grow the sport.

Exclusivity should not be the mandate of any 'Canadian' association. It's as simple as that.

I don't think there is a system that will satisfy everyone. How do you determine that one provincial playdown doesn't fit the criteria of being competitive enough.

It's like beating a dead horse with you. All teams have a chance to come to the brier, some get sent home because they don't make the cut, think of golf or being eliminated in the playoffs.

03-05-15 09:16AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Thursday Morning at the Brier: two huge games, and two playing mostly for pride:

TSN has the big one: Gushue (7-2) vs Jacobs (9-0). Jacobs has locked up a place in the 1v2 game, and a win here will seal first place. With a loss, Gushue could fall back into some kind of tie with CAN/QC/SK/MB at the end of the week

CurlingGeek will follow: Morris/Simmons (CAN: 6-3) vs Menard (QC: 6-3). The winner stays at three losses and is guaranteed no worse than a tiebreaker. The loser goes to 4 losses and starts getting nervous. https://games.curlinggeek.com

BC at 3-5 plays the 0-8 NWT. Cotter needs to win to keep his faint hope of playoffs alive. NWT just needs a win.

PEI (2-6) vs NB (2-6) is mostly meaningless. There's still a chance one of these teams could fall to the bottom and be relegated, but that's about it.