Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Curling Club Chat > Broom Moratorium for League Play and Bonspiels

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 6 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-11-15 02:54PM
Skinz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skinz Click here to Send Skinz a Private Message Find more posts by Skinz Add Skinz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skinz
Harvey Hacksmasher

Broom Moratorium for League Play and Bonspiels

Have any clubs adopted the Curl Canada or OCA broom moratorium for their club leagues and bonspiels?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-12-15 01:35PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

nope...but our club put a moratorium on shoes with sliders and sliding during the delivery of rocks. It appears that sliding provides excessive wear on the pebble and effects play, especially in the area of the houses in the later stages of the game. Just kidding but you see how stupid this whole "Broom Moratorium"is.

12-12-15 02:39PM
Itsjustagame is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Itsjustagame Find more posts by Itsjustagame Add Itsjustagame to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Itsjustagame
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
the new sliders could easily be damaging the ice
6 discs with sharp edges

200 lbs concentrated on 1/2 an inch

bet i could shave pebble with them

Good point Fresca.

Don't worry if you have purchased Quantum shoes. The WCF, followed immediately by Curling Canada, will not come out with a statement to ban those shoes backed up by some mysterious testing they have apparently done. They are a Goldline product which is friends (and sponsor) of the house, unlike Hardline.

12-14-15 07:40AM
Skinz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skinz Click here to Send Skinz a Private Message Find more posts by Skinz Add Skinz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skinz
Harvey Hacksmasher

Our club has stated they will be following the broom moratorium starting Jan 1 for all leagues and bonspiels. One of their reasons was that other clubs are doing it now too, but I have yet to hear of other clubs to implement the broom moratorium for their leagues and bonspiels.

12-14-15 12:19PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Skinz
Our club has stated they will be following the broom moratorium starting Jan 1 for all leagues and bonspiels. One of their reasons was that other clubs are doing it now too, but I have yet to hear of other clubs to implement the broom moratorium for their leagues and bonspiels.

they drank the Koolaid I see.

12-14-15 01:54PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

our club banned sliders with directional teflon and rigid inserts of all types. i'm told that i'm rigid enough w/o any inserts.

12-14-15 03:18PM
jzwanzig is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jzwanzig Click here to Send jzwanzig a Private Message Find more posts by jzwanzig Add jzwanzig to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jzwanzig
Harvey Hacksmasher

Our club has not imposed the moratorium at the league level, and probably won't, but I am getting enough static over my Hardline broom that I'll probably closet it for awhile and go back to my Goldline. It's annoying to go play a recreational curling game and get (mildly) hassled about my broom.

12-14-15 05:29PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jzwanzig
Our club has not imposed the moratorium at the league level, and probably won't, but I am getting enough static over my Hardline broom that I'll probably closet it for awhile and go back to my Goldline. It's annoying to go play a recreational curling game and get (mildly) hassled about my broom.

I wouldn't, they are basing their harassment on hearsay. Ask them for proof and if they dont produce it tell them to shut their gobs.

12-14-15 06:02PM
swjones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swjones Find more posts by swjones Add swjones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swjones
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just pass them the broom to your opponent that is flapping their gums and tell them they can play with it this game and you will be happy to watch them do crazy things with the rocks. They can't so it will be a pointless exercise...Scratch that. You may actually prove your point but letting them try unsuccessfully to make rocks fall out of the building. The only way you make rocks go backwards is by sweeping over top of the rock in a snow plough fashion on the corner of the stone where you want it to be directed to. If you sweep normally at 45 degrees across the face with any broom out there you will not make a rock fall. In reality with the snow plough fashion you can take a hair broom from 20 years ago and make rocks do unnatural things and if you watch closely that is exactly what the elite teams are doing (including most of the non-Hardline teams). The WCF and the CCA have bigger responsibility to fix the sweeping technique than they did or do to address types of fabric or inserts into brooms.

12-14-15 08:48PM
MacCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MacCoach Click here to Send MacCoach a Private Message Find more posts by MacCoach Add MacCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MacCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

Moritorium by the pros or events leading to WCF events not recreational curlers. I don't see any evidence by our club curlers of "joy sticking" rocks because everyone sweeps according to the rules!

12-14-15 10:28PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

It's times like these I'm glad I play on hockey ice, where the stones do crazy things regardless of sweeping.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

12-15-15 03:31AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by swjones
The WCF and the CCA have bigger responsibility to fix the sweeping technique than they did or do to address types of fabric or inserts into brooms.

^ ^ ^ ^ Absolutely!
The rules making snowplowing and corner sweeping illegal were already there - but they removed those rules 3 or 4 years ago, seemingly because they did not want to make the effort to enforce them.
And that is what has created the idiotic mess we have today.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

12-15-15 07:51AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

^ ^ ^ ^ Absolutely!
The rules making snowplowing and corner sweeping illegal were already there - but they removed those rules 3 or 4 years ago, seemingly because they did not want to make the effort to enforce them.
And that is what has created the idiotic mess we have today.

Well, here's your problem...

How do you propose to enforce the sweeping rules?

Remember, you *barely* have adequately trained volunteers available to hang scores and keep the time clock (and I'm among those)...are you going to expect a volunter ref to slide down the ice near the sweepers, keeping vigilant watch on the brooms to ensure that they cross the face of the stone with each stroke?

"The players will monitor it"...what player would be able to? The Skips will be far away for the majority of the shot, and the remainder of the non-sweeping team should be in the house readying for their shot.

12-15-15 02:22PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

How do you propose to enforce the sweeping rules?

You announce before the competition that sweeping rules will be enforced, you tell everyone that this is your first warning and if a team sees another team cheating that they are to summon the umpire who will then watch that sheet ans if they see an infraction will enforce the rules to the letter of the law.Also point out that the umpire had a really bad night the night before and is in an extremely foul mood. After the umpire pulls the first rock the problem will go away for that draw.

12-15-15 08:26PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

a sensible sweeping rule could be enforced. The rule could be something like this:

a sweeper's body must not enter into the imaginary rectangle that extends in front of and behind a running stone, and a sweeper's broom must not enter into the imaginary cylinder that extends upward from the swept stone. Any violation that lasts more than one second is punished the same as if the sweeper had touched the stone.

Such a rule would be enforced by the sweepers themselves, by their opponents, by officials (if available) and with the aid of video (if available).

This would eliminate snow-ploughing which seems to be the real issue. Eliminating Hardline brushes won't help anything other than to buoy flagging sales of other companies' equipment. Without some kind of limit the snow-ploughing edge-scratchers will continue to make a joke of the sport with whatever equipment is available.

12-15-15 10:38PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by rbi
a sensible sweeping rule could be enforced. The rule could be something like this:

a sweeper's body must not enter into the imaginary rectangle that extends in front of and behind a running stone, and a sweeper's broom must not enter into the imaginary cylinder that extends upward from the swept stone. Any violation that lasts more than one second is punished the same as if the sweeper had touched the stone.

I dont fully understand what you are trying to say. Are you saying your feet cant be in that area? Or are you saying that your head shoulders and chest cannot be in the plain (ie airspace) above teh rock? If you are talking about the airspace, thats not going to work, because almost every traditional technique puts one's arms, head, chest and shoulders in the rock airspace.

12-16-15 12:40AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Why are we going to the next level in rules in outlawing sweeping?

After watching the Canada Cup and Canadian Open these last two weeks, there seems to be little discourse between the players over the current sweeping situation.

The players seem happy with where the allowable influence that sweeping has on shots now. I don't see why the game needs to become even more restrictive.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

12-16-15 04:38AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Uhhh... because Hardline has been unfairly targeted by other broom companies, some teams that don't use Hardline brooms, the WCF, and Curling Canada.

quote:
After watching the Canada Cup and Canadian Open these last two weeks, there seems to be little discourse between the players over the current sweeping situation.

The players seem happy with where the allowable influence that sweeping has on shots now. I don't see why the game needs to become even more restrictive.

Are the Hardline teams honestly happy that they are the only ones who must modify their brush heads; that they are the only ones who are suddenly not permitted to use a piece of equipment which was perfectly legal and seemingly caused no problems over the past 2 or 3 seasons?

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

12-16-15 05:23AM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

I wrote this in the 'Mike McEwen' thread, in response to someone. Several posters wrote that it is a very accurate summary of the brush pad 'saga'. One poster suggested that it be posted in every thread about the brush pad controversy. While that would be rather ostentatious, I will post it here in this thread, as it seems relevant...

As I understand it, the agreement which was signed by the 20 or so teams essentially stated that, until they find out exactly whats going on with the sweeping, the Hardline players will turn their brush head material inside-out. From what I understand, there was no admission from the Hardline teams that their brooms provided them with an unfair advantage. After all, these were/are the same brooms that some teams were playing with for at least 2 previous seasons, seemingly without issue. Its difficult to believe that they would suddenly provide an unfair or significant advantage when in the previous 2 seasons there were no such accusations or evidence.

Further, the Hardline teams were in a very delicate position with regards to the agreement it was a public affair, and so if they dont sign the agreement, which called for the protection of the integrity of curling, they could be seen as not caring about the integrity of the game, and also as seeking to maintain the unfair advantage that others (mainly teams using Balance Plus and Goldline brooms) were accusing them of - yet which has never been proven as fact, even to this day.

Further, this agreement came out mainly as a reaction to the extremes of the Balance Plus Blackhead brush pad. Hardlines IcePad somehow got lumped in with the Blackhead pad, even though they are two very different products (in my opinion the IcePad got lumped in with the Blackhead because the goal of Balance Plus was to target the Hardline IcePad all along, Hardline being the newest player in the market, and the one who was most rapidly taking sales away from Balance Plus and the other brush head and broom manufacturers, as Hardline was rapidly gaining in popularity both at the elite and club levels, and thus was a significant threat to Balance Plus and the other broom manufacturers). Since the infamous agreement was signed, some non-Hardline teams have been running what is essentially a smear campaign against Hardline - most notably Glenn Howards team, which has very, very close ties with Balance Plus.

Further still, the argument/accusation at the heart of this infamous and ill-advised agreement was that certain brush heads used directional fabric, which it was claimed created a significant advantage over the more traditional - yet still synthetic - brush head materials which have been used over the past 20 years or so. This supposedly directional fabric was claimed to be able to direct the rock more precisely than the brush heads made with the older synthetic materials. The agreement omitted the naming of any manufacturer, perhaps for fear of a potential lawsuit.
There was absolutely no mention made of any type of insert in that agreement - in fact, the word insert does not even appear in the officially released 'agreement' written by Nolan Thiessen. Yet today, the WCF and Curling Canada are taking aim more at the IcePads plastic insert than they are at the supposed directional fabric of said brush head. Were not really hearing much, if any, reference to directional fabric anymore. This suggests that their goal is to render the IcePad illegal in its original form, and to accomplish this by any means possible. This, even though the IcePad in its original form was used on the elite circuit for two years previous, perfectly legally, and seemingly without issue.

Is it feasible - or even possible - that a given brush pad, which remained in its original form, without any alterations, could suddenly begin to have a significantly greater effect on the path of rocks than it had had over the course of the two previous curling seasons? I suppose its possible - but only if something else within the element of sweeping, or something within the condition of the ice overall, had changed. Nothing in the ice seems to have changed from the past two seasons to this season - no icemaker that Im aware of has come up with a new theory of making ice, or a new ingredient to implement into its making so the ice is the same. The element which HAS changed - and rather drastically - from the past two seasons to this season, is, of course, the sweeping technique. Teams are using one sweeper per rock thrown now, instead of two sweepers, as was the case last season and essentially every year prior to this season. And this one sweeper is snowplowing (sweeping north/south, rather than east/west) and corner sweeping much, much more often than weve seen in the past several years. The sweeping rules were changed 3 or 4 years ago to where snowplowing and corner sweeping are now permitted, whereas these techniques were not permitted under the previous set of sweeping rules.

And so it seems incredibly obvious, to the astute observer as well as to the casual, that it is the new sweeping techniques which are resulting in the significantly greater effect to the rocks path than in years past - because the sweeping technique is the only element which has changed. Nothing else has changed. Indeed, we are now seeing sweepers from all teams, using different brands of brush heads - including hair brush heads, which are being used far more often this year with the new sweeping techniques than theyve been used in the past several seasons -, altering the rocks significantly more than in previous years. This is further evidence that it is the new sweeping techniques which have had by far the most significant effect on the path of the rocks, and not any insert or fabric of any brush head.

And now, we have the WCF and Curling Canada both implementing sudden, mid-season rule changes to brush heads which impact and restrict the Hardline IcePad far more than they impact and restrict any other brush head. Both the WCF and Curling Canada are sponsored by Balance Plus, which is the company which essentially initiated all of this brush head nonsense, and did so from several directions (the Blackhead, the smear campaign against Hardline led by Glenn Howards team, etc.).

Given all of this, I dont believe that the words dishonesty, manipulation, conflict of interest, and corruption are at all misplaced.

12-16-15 06:36AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Just copied this link from twitter. Is this old news or just news. Thought I'd let y'all read it over.

http://www.curling.ca/brush-head-moratorium/

12-16-15 10:13AM
mcderm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcderm Click here to Send mcderm a Private Message Find more posts by mcderm Add mcderm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcderm
Harvey Hacksmasher

Relax everyone! It's not us....it's them! According to Nolan Theissen's latest blog, this is an "elite issue" None of the tens of thousands of us have neither the strength or biomechanics to accomplish a "fraction" of what they can do with this modern technology. Clearly the elite 20 are so advanced that one sweeper can actually slide his or her biomechanical ass all the way down the sheet beside the rock without even sweeping!

We need to focus on the important things, like paying our curling dues every year, so the CCA can fund trips to Kariuzawa and Las Vegas, and thus allow our elites to showcase the skills we mere mortals could only dream of attaining.

12-16-15 10:55AM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:

Why enforce the hogline then Gerry, a person has little or no effect on the rock if they are 1/4 inch over the hogline with their delivery, compared to what can be done to a rock by illegal directional sweeping. An association that can not enforce it's own rulebook, or worse yet chooses to look the other way and not enforce the very rules they wrote has no business running the sport we all love and are passionate about. If they want to create a professional curling league where anything goes then fine, do it but stay out of the true curlers game, the ones who follow the ethics and rules of the game. This unethical bending or breaking of the rules is manifesting itself in the junior ranks as well as club and second tier curling and will ruin the game. Maybe because you get some benefits or remuneration from your association with the WCF of Curling Canada your vision is clouded but the game is fast becoming something none of us want.

12-16-15 10:59AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by mcderm
Relax everyone! It's not us....it's them! According to Nolan Theissen's latest blog, this is an "elite issue" None of the tens of thousands of us have neither the strength or biomechanics to accomplish a "fraction" of what they can do with this modern technology. Clearly the elite 20 are so advanced that one sweeper can actually slide his or her biomechanical ass all the way down the sheet beside the rock without even sweeping!

We need to focus on the important things, like paying our curling dues every year, so the CCA can fund trips to Kariuzawa and Las Vegas, and thus allow our elites to showcase the skills we mere mortals could only dream of attaining.

Agreed, so why not let the average curling schlumpie use new technology? It might improve their game, make them feel good about curling and entice them to continue. Most of us at the club level dust rather than sweep and wouldn't have the first clue about manipulating rocks.

Without the schlumpies, there are no funds for the elites to travel, the Redcoats to present medals at National championships, pay for the staffing of Curling Canada.

This looks like a Corporate conspiracy to get rid of the competition to me...there have been a variety of brooms on the market for 2 years now...

12-16-15 11:19AM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

The skill is suppose to be throwing the rock with proper weight and line---not sliding behind the rock and angle sweeping. The discovery and eventual perfecting of the new sweeping technique has compromised the game to the point where throwing mistakes are now rescued. That cannot be good. Imagine a golfer being able to manipulate a poor putt to go in the cup--it would be banned in a heart-beat.

It's real simple folks---ban all heads that are shown to 1)break down/damage the ice (referring to hard plastic inserts or foil) and 2)fabric that breaks down or damages the ice.

That, along with going back to previous rules for sweeping rocks would deal with the present issue that is destroying the credibility of the sport. How we got here or how Hardline was abused is another matter entirely.

12-16-15 11:30AM
outurn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for outurn Click here to Send outurn a Private Message Find more posts by outurn Add outurn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
outurn
Harvey Hacksmasher

Time for the Canadian Amateur Curling Association?

quote:
Originally posted by mcderm

Could not agree more! The problem is with the sweeping technique and not the brooms. Far more concerning is the dramatic drop in competition due to the funding of the few elite teams and less of the grass roots. Competitive curling in Ontario, and all of Canada in Mens and Womens has dropped dramatically, and Juniors has been practically decimated.
Perhaps it is time for a new Canadian Amateur Curling Association where all dues go to support grass roots, and not sending Team Curl Canada to Japan, Vegas and Phoenix?