Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Scratch Sweeping Dilemma

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-27-19 03:17PM
Tony Hladun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Hladun Find more posts by Tony Hladun Add Tony Hladun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Hladun
Harvey Hacksmasher

Scratch Sweeping Dilemma

I've made two posts about corner sweeping and I've gotten counter arguments from supporters of the currently in vogue scratch sweeping school. Being a physicist let's do one of Einstein's thought experiments (Gedankenexperiment). If diagonal scratch sweeping can generate sufficient forces to change a rock's direction, then why won't sweeping across the face of a rock result in the scratches reducing the rock's travel? If scratch sweeping is true all of us curlers have got it all wrong and sweeping perpendicular to the rock path will actually reduce how far a rock slides. Yeah sure!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-27-19 03:29PM
nervous_times21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nervous_times21 Click here to Send nervous_times21 a Private Message Find more posts by nervous_times21 Add nervous_times21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nervous_times21
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tony - what you propose is exactly what happens. While only limited results from the NRC study were published, those that were suggest exactly that: sweeping perpendicular to the direction of rock travel "carries" the rock less than other sweeping directions. The "scratchier" the head, the less the rock traveled.

Note specifically the difference in the distance traveled by the red stones (non-confirming broom) between the first and last illustrations in figure 2 on the linked page.

See results here: https://www.curling.ca/national-res...cutive-summary/

Speaking of everyone "getting it wrong" - I think the average club curler has the advantage (in this case) of using old broom heads and a less-aggressive stroke than your average tour player. As a result, most curlers are probably using something akin to a WCF-approved head, which, as the results indicate, yield results agnostic to the sweeping method.

Last edited by nervous_times21 on 03-27-19 at 03:31PM

03-27-19 03:57PM
Tony Hladun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Hladun Find more posts by Tony Hladun Add Tony Hladun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Hladun
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ah, horror stories and the Frankenbroom. The information in the post above doesn't address what I said. There is no comparison of a non-swept rock to sweeping using a legal WCF broom.

But let me get this straight, you're saying that all those tour curlers sweep to make the rock stop sooner? If nothing else we should at least get the commentators to stop misleading everyone.

03-27-19 05:36PM
nervous_times21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nervous_times21 Click here to Send nervous_times21 a Private Message Find more posts by nervous_times21 Add nervous_times21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nervous_times21
Harvey Hacksmasher

Fair enough - I did note that there was not illustration for the control - ie, the non-swept rock. The study looked at impact on rock path, not how far sweeping can extend the distance a rock travels.

But I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly - what I think is interesting about the study is that it shows that with a conforming head being used by some of the "best" sweepers (since we don't know let's assume that "best" means high stroke rate coupled with lots of weight on the broom), the ability to control the path by more than a rock-width is eliminated and stroke path has limited impact on distance traveled when compared to non-conforming heads.

To my eye, it looks like you get two more feet of distance sweeping on an angle than you do straight across the face. (sure, whether you get more distance by not sweeping at all is not addressed by the NRC diagram).

I may be missing your point again - but wonder if you would be interested in doing an experiment. We're about to get some 45 hours of curling coverage during the men's worlds - time draws hog to hog (or hog to stop, whatever you like), chart the paths, the amount of sweeping, and where the rock ends up. It's imperfect, but my own experience suggests rocks are going to travel farther (as measured by longer times) with sweeping.

As a PS - I don't think many curlers, club or tour, sweep perpendicular to the path of travel. My gut suggests something closer to 45 degrees is the norm - easier to keep moving with the rock.

03-27-19 06:40PM
Tony Hladun
Harvey Hacksmasher

The sweeping alternatives in the study are too vague to draw any real conclusions other than Frankenbrooms had a huge impact.

On either of my two previous posts I posted a link and a time in one of Chelsea Carey's games that illustrated what I consider corner sweeping errors. I didn't refer to that here because I was commenting on the scratch theory.

Hits, draw arounds and run backs are determined by inches (fractions of maybe) so the sweeping effect does not need to be large. One rock width is massive. If you look at the Swedes and Swiss they stayed away from corner sweeping and went home winners.

I'm looking forward to the men's championships. Do they corner sweep the wrong side and do they miss those shots is all we need to look at. Remember though it's not the side the sweeper is on but it's the side he/she is sweeping. The stronger sweepers reach over and really make a mess. Also if the skips are complaining about the ice it's possible the sweepers are the problem.

03-27-19 09:03PM
nervous_times21
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well, I tried to engage with your thought experiment. If you're going to ask the question, you should do better than simply waving away alternative reasoning.

03-28-19 12:00AM
Tony Hladun
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well if you want an honest answer I didn't engage because your assertion that a swept rock stops sooner is just wrong. I agree with Curling Canada who in this study https://www.curling.ca/blog/2010/10...eeping-secrets/ said: "It was found that top sweepers could extend the path of the stone by 6 to 7 feet over the final 1/3 of the sheet. " I believe this study was done before the Frankenbroom debacle and the scratch obsession so the brooms used were more like they are now.

Last edited by Tony Hladun on 03-28-19 at 12:13AM

02-22-20 10:19AM
Tony Hladun
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well it's been a year and in the March 2020 issue of Curling News there's a front page article on sweeping. As I predicted "scratch" sweeping with current brooms is hokum. Teams can still corner sweep and the skips/thirds are calling the right sweeper. What has to stop is the sweeper reaching across the rock and sweeping the wrong side of the slide path. With the Scotties and upcoming Brier watch the side that's been swept and look at the result, but I warn you if you do this you'll be screaming at the TV.

02-24-20 10:25AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Tony, here is your why your thought experiment is wrong. Lets say that perpendicular sweeping does slow down the rock due to scratches. Lets call this force X. But sweeping does (and everyone knows this from observation) drag a rock further, so there are other forces that we will call Y. These actions are things like removing any frost from the ice, etc. What happens is that mathematically speaking Y >> X, or Y is much greater than X, so we make X negligible in the equation overall net effect. Well maybe not negligible, but you cannot observe it easily with your own eyes. Afterall the only accomplishment this perpendicular effect would show is a slight reduction in total distance travel, no easy way to observe this. Now using your scratches to do work for you, you can more easily observe the steering of a rock because the force created by directional scratching is more statisticaly significant. In terms of net work for total distance, not a huge impact, but it allows for movements that are not possible with these directional scratches, so it becomes observable as well as significant.