M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 15 of 16 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-11-14 01:13PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Its basically a money grab for the CCA. The small arena was only 1/2 full (or less) but there must have been concessions open, CCA merchandise sold, TV commercial committments, etc.

I've heard the 'money grab' argument before, but I'd be curious about how much the bronze medal game is really worth to the CCA. The arena is usually nearly empty (I was in Montreal for the Scotties, and skipped the bronze game entirely). And often it's not even televised. It's really a ridiculous game, and the players (and I suspect many fans) hate it. Unless the CCA is making pots of money off it, and I have my doubts, why continue with it?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-11-14 01:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

I guess they had more chance to lose then???

sure.

Look its no insult meant on team Koe, they are a great team. But the same argument that could be made for Quebec having won 2 of 3 times against Manitoba and so should have the Bronze medal can be made for British Columbia having the Gold medal.

03-11-14 01:22PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Bronze medal game at the 2013 Brier was not even televised, it went to tsn.ca only. Even the national network doesn't want to have game at the Championships.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 70.54.189.177

03-11-14 01:24PM
Gritsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gritsy Click here to Send Gritsy a Private Message Find more posts by Gritsy Add Gritsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gritsy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I've heard the 'money grab' argument before, but I'd be curious about how much the bronze medal game is really worth to the CCA. The arena is usually nearly empty (I was in Montreal for the Scotties, and skipped the bronze game entirely). And often it's not even televised. It's really a ridiculous game, and the players (and I suspect many fans) hate it. Unless the CCA is making pots of money off it, and I have my doubts, why continue with it?

I'm sure all "weekend" ticket packages include the bronze game, and for a price. Whether people show up or not, they paid for it.
And it's been on tv for last few years, so tsn is paying for it as well.

03-11-14 01:29PM
Unregistered

quote:
Bronze medal game at the 2013 Brier was not even televised, it went to tsn.ca only. Even the national network doesn't want to have game at the Championships.

Incorrect. I caught part of the game on TV (cannot recall if it was TSN or TSN2). Also, Bob Weeks' article on television viewership numbers, which can also be found on the CZ homepage, states that over 500,000 people watched it.

That said, I only tuned in for about 5 minutes. When I saw Pierre Charette throwing a rock, I knew something had gone very, very wrong and that the game must be out of hand. It's an absolute shame they have this game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.81.54.22

03-11-14 01:45PM
Unregistered

The teams involved in this game should reverse their lineup. Atleast it would be more intereting.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 192.197.71.189

03-11-14 01:48PM
Unregistered

quote:

Bronze medal game is always televised. Part of the reason they have one is the network wants it. They also think they need two games per day. Also part of the reason they got rid of the Monday AM draw, to give more Friday games.

It is a cash grab, concessions, tv time, etc. Players seem to universally hate it. This year is a perfect example of why. QU beat MB in the must win game, the game to give them a chance. Then they lost in a bronze game that it was tough to get up for.

Perhaps they need to be a bit more creative on how to get that last draw in. Maybe hold the hotshots mid week and televise it. Make it more like a skills competition/all start game set up. Make it a fan experience part of the week. I'd be interested to know how that would translate TV wise but could make for a very fun night at the Brier.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 167.129.240.20

03-11-14 03:35PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

I distinctly remember a Brier bronze game (it was either 2012 or 2013) that was NOT on TSN or TSN2 (I get both), and was only available on tsn.ca

I realize that the bronze game is included in weekend ticket packages, but many people buy single game tickets and I have to imagine they sell very few Bronze single game tickets. If I had to guess, I'd guess that the very few people who show up to the Bronze game are the weekend (or full week) ticket buyers.

03-11-14 03:40PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
The teams involved in this game should reverse their lineup. Atleast it would be more intereting.

I know this was partly tongue-in-cheek, but I wonder if a team doing something like this would be an effective statement to the CCA. It would have to be a team with clout obviously, but I wonder how the CCA would react to, say, Glen Howard letting Saville skip and Glen throwing lead rocks. I know a few years ago K-Mart threatened not to show up (though he ultimately did, and played a silly game with almost every rock in play every end). Maybe it would take an elite team making a clear statement about the silliness of this game, on the ice, to embarrass the CCA out of continuing it.

03-11-14 04:13PM
Unregistered

wonder what would happen if the teams just simply refused to play or even went home before the match

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-11-14 04:24PM
Shewster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Shewster Click here to Send Shewster a Private Message Find more posts by Shewster Add Shewster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Shewster
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Incorrect. I caught part of the game on TV (cannot recall if it was TSN or TSN2). Also, Bob Weeks' article on television viewership numbers, which can also be found on the CZ homepage, states that over 500,000 people watched it.

That said, I only tuned in for about 5 minutes. When I saw Pierre Charette throwing a rock, I knew something had gone very, very wrong and that the game must be out of hand. It's an absolute shame they have this game.

Are you talking 2013 or '14?

03-11-14 04:44PM
Unregistered

Well actually the bronze medal game is worth something. !0,000 in money and an extra 10 CTRS points. No bad I would think for a couple hours work. CTRS point are needed to get into the National team program that also helps greatly in funding.
Also if you has a new team in the bronze medal game it can be very meaningful. I remeber M.F.Larouche being very upset about losing the game.
It adds another game to a slower paced weeked and I like it!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179

03-11-14 04:50PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
wonder what would happen if the teams just simply refused to play or even went home before the match

Fines.
Big ones.

03-11-14 04:51PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Frankly, I think Koe would stand up best to a shot-pelting at the hands of Jacobs. I think Fry is slightly better than Dr. Simmons.

I'd love to see the CCA put up a 2 day event after the world.

Best of 3 matches..... on Sportsnet or TSN

Koe vs. Jacobs
JJ vs. Homan

Yeah, because there would be so much riding on the outcome.

03-11-14 04:52PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Well actually the bronze medal game is worth something. !0,000 in money and an extra 10 CTRS points. No bad I would think for a couple hours work. CTRS point are needed to get into the National team program that also helps greatly in funding.
Also if you has a new team in the bronze medal game it can be very meaningful. I remeber M.F.Larouche being very upset about losing the game.
It adds another game to a slower paced weeked and I like it!!

You're talking about the value of 3rd place vs 4th place. That's not the issue. The issue is that the CCA has decided to create a Bronze Medal game that isn't required, since the Page system decides it already via the loser of the 3v4 game. The CCA created a game that isn't needed - that's the beef that fans and players have with it. It simply isn't sensible that the loser of the 3v4 game can finish 3rd.

03-11-14 05:37PM
Unregistered

I like the fact that there is distinctly different money and points for 3rd and 4th place. But there is no need at all for the bronze game because we use the Page Format.

If there were two seperate semifinals, then the need would exist. But 3 vs 4 determines the two distinct semifinalists and thus the loser is obviously third place or bronze.

But what do you expect from the CCA? Common sense? From the group that brought in relegation and ignores enforcing its own eligibility rules? BWAHAHAHA!

sorry, have to laugh at them or bash my head against the wall. Laughing hurts less.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.180

03-11-14 09:53PM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

Re: Good Job CCA

quote:
Glad to see your solution to the HUGE discrepancy in the # of titles won by Maritmers as compared to the rest of the country is not a reason for concern. Just butter that greasy lobster, drink that bottle of screech, & plant those potatoes is what u are telling all Maritime curlers.

AB has won 8X in last 13 yrs. This event is being over-hyped year after year. What are the odds another team from the West wins.(Jacobs might be the exception)

& now u have this relegation round meaning NS or PEI will not partake. Absolutely BS for a so-called NATIONAL event.

Agreed whole heartedly.

03-11-14 11:53PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

Fines.
Big ones.

And if you refuse to pay the fines? I don't think the CCA wants another bad PR blunder.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

03-12-14 12:03AM
Unregistered

quote:

And if you refuse to pay the fines? I don't think the CCA wants another bad PR blunder.

Well for one they'll hold back the prize money from you...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 174.113.252.94

03-12-14 05:08AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Well, I like the bronze medal game because I actually like curling.

I couldn't care less that the teams involved would rather have won their previous games but happen to find themselves having to play this game instead. Go out and play a loose, fun game. Entertain the folks on TV. Make a little money and get some CTRS points.

I'm not entirely sure why their feelings are so important to many of you, unless you happen to be a journalist who needs an easy column to write, stirring up some old controversies and ingratiating yourself to the top players.

03-12-14 08:24AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
Well, I like the bronze medal game because I actually like curling.

I couldn't care less that the teams involved would rather have won their previous games but happen to find themselves having to play this game instead. Go out and play a loose, fun game. Entertain the folks on TV. Make a little money and get some CTRS points.

I'm not entirely sure why their feelings are so important to many of you, unless you happen to be a journalist who needs an easy column to write, stirring up some old controversies and ingratiating yourself to the top players.

well probably because its no fun watching guys that don't give a damn play the game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

03-22-14 05:38AM
Unregistered

quote:
is the team rumour Kevin Koe, Marc Kennedy, Brent Laing and Ben Hebert true?

Heard this back in Feb and it came true.
Im sure it was a done deal weeks before too.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.224.216.101

03-22-14 06:16AM
Unregistered

heard Johnny Mo was taking a year away from the game, but with the
dis-assembling of Team Canada (Koe) then who knows. BC may become team canada, unless Simmons, Rycroft,and Thiesson get a team together. Then they are Team Canada....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.137.195.226

03-27-14 09:44AM
Unregistered

quote:
Simmons, Rycroft,and Thiesson get a team together. Then they are Team Canada....

I think this will be the case. And, you never know, if Koe doesn't win Ab. Maybe he will be the skip............

03-27-14 11:05AM
Unregistered

I was under the impression you had to return 3 of the 5 players??
This may bring Jamie King into the mix??

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 207.6.40.179