Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 28 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-10-15 11:26AM
freezetothehack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for freezetothehack Click here to Send freezetothehack a Private Message Find more posts by freezetothehack Add freezetothehack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
freezetothehack
Hitting Paint

Letter to the editor, Chronical Heralfd in Halifax

http://thechronicleherald.ca/letter...ing-debacle-now

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-10-15 11:39AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Dacey has it right. He is appalled the N.S. didn't have a rep. But, he is not blaming the Brier format. He is blaming the provincial organization(s) for lack of competitive play. In other words supply the goods and the skills will be better. This would give a chance to win out of relegation and stay out.

03-10-15 11:51AM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

Very interesting article for sure.

Without high performance camps, coaching courses, ice making courses or top level junior programs, a curling association will eventually struggle to field competitive teams.

The funding for the above, however, comes from the registers curlers in that association...

I do think that the associations need to start looking inwards at what the have to offer the curlers and clubs to maximize performance.

I could see how the smaller associations could potentially struggle with this...

03-10-15 01:57PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

From Dacey's op-ed: "I will not go into great detail in a letter to the editor, but I can tell you that there is a great amount of evidence that this association is failing miserably at its attempt to conduct a provincial championship"

I get where he's going, and applaud him for it, but I think his piece would have been far more effective if he actually did call out the reasons and offer some possible solutions.

03-10-15 08:14PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by lixit74
Very interesting article for sure.

Without high performance camps, coaching courses, ice making courses or top level junior programs, a curling association will eventually struggle to field competitive teams.

The funding for the above, however, comes from the registers curlers in that association...

I do think that the associations need to start looking inwards at what the have to offer the curlers and clubs to maximize performance.

I could see how the smaller associations could potentially struggle with this...

Junior programming receives funding from the government's and provincial associations which in some provinces is more than others. But if they want a way to lower the price for members they could always get sponsors to help pick up the cost. It takes a little hard work to build a competitive which apparently is too hard for many.

03-10-15 09:09PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

I have no problem with my association fees going to promot little rock and unior curling. Even if junior teams do not become regular tour players, they are the group that will help sustain our clubs. become our coaches, and become club board members. But I cannot get my head around using the same fees to support 40 yr old professional curlers who expect a free vacation every yr and yet do not want to use their own money to get better or to travel.

03-10-15 10:03PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade
I have no problem with my association fees going to promot little rock and unior curling. Even if junior teams do not become regular tour players, they are the group that will help sustain our clubs. become our coaches, and become club board members. But I cannot get my head around using the same fees to support 40 yr old professional curlers who expect a free vacation every yr and yet do not want to use their own money to get better or to travel.

Exactly, focus on the young. Let the guys who go just to be in the patch pay their own way.

03-10-15 10:31PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

The only saving grace in manitoba (short of superstar teams now that Old Jeff has turned in) is both Reid & McEwen should easily return to the 32 team field. Calvert should, too - only question is who replaces Jeff as the 4th. 32 team field but only 4 or 5 teams w the stock to win.
Could be Matty Dunstone.
Unfortunately, only McEwen (when on form) can stand up to the shot pelting & precision of Jacobs, Laycock, Simmons, Koe, Goo.

Probably Fowler when he finds a solid 3rd.

03-11-15 05:21AM
Loony is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Loony Click here to Send Loony a Private Message Find more posts by Loony Add Loony to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loony
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

Junior programming receives funding from the government's and provincial associations which in some provinces is more than others. But if they want a way to lower the price for members they could always get sponsors to help pick up the cost. It takes a little hard work to build a competitive which apparently is too hard for many.

Exactly. Yet there's another thread on the forum urging people to boycott the sponsors of the WC in Halifax next month. That's a really good way to express appreciation for the companies that DO help with the costs of curling.

03-11-15 05:41AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

What a load of pretention.

I'd rather see an association be it national or provincial have a primary focus on participation and accessibility over creating elite teams especially when government funding is involved.

I could care less if Canada "owns the podium" if it is at the expense of making the sport accessible and a national institution like the Brier.

Unlike almost every other winter sport, Curling is in incredible shape on its own to produce elite talent. That we are even close to losing ground to other countries is a complete red herring.

Last edited by Ventry on 03-11-15 at 05:50AM

03-11-15 05:49AM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

delete

03-11-15 07:07AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

What a load of pretention.

I'd rather see an association be it national or provincial have a primary focus on participation and accessibility over creating elite teams especially when government funding is involved.

I could care less if Canada "owns the podium" if it is at the expense of making the sport accessible and a national institution like the Brier.

Unlike almost every other winter sport, Curling is in incredible shape on its own to produce elite talent. That we are even close to losing ground to other countries is a complete red herring.

Yet clubs are closing down while boards sit thinking why. We all know the reason no new curlers because juniors are often neglected at clubs. It's not even about creating elite juniors, it's about supporting junior curlers. Even Mark Dacey said the problem is with the provincial associations not supporting juniors.

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 03-11-15 at 07:09AM

03-11-15 07:12AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Loony

Exactly. Yet there's another thread on the forum urging people to boycott the sponsors of the WC in Halifax next month. That's a really good way to express appreciation for the companies that DO help with the costs of curling.

I know I've seen it, just people upset and not thinking. Let's boycott companies who have allowed curling to grow so much in the past 10 years. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds stupid.

03-11-15 09:02AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
i am pretty sure the sponsors recognize that the boycott is a result of frustration, if anything it will create more attention...

perhaps an alternative to a boycott would be to purchase a Tim's, a roll of scot, some pintys, an. m&ms, and mail the bill to the sponsor thanking them for their sponsorship this year and asking them to use their influence to maintain the brier as a Natioal Championship with total representation... hopefully we have a fleet buyer for the Ford 150s. !!!!

i would not bother sending the letter to CC Aka CCA

i just logged onto telltimhortonsdotcom and took a survey, i told them i make a special effort to buy their products during the broadcasts in the comment section... said i supported The Brier and Scot etc as National Championships with Total Provincial and territory Participipation....

they were so delighted to hear my opinion they asked me to enter a contest ... which i did.. pretty easy

thx. Tims !!!!

and thx other sponsors !!

The brier had full representation, the first time in 88 years that all of Canada could send a team.

03-11-15 09:25AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
The brier had full representation, the first time in 88 years that all of Canada could send a team.

All regions of Canada could send a team before this. YK/NWT joined in the Brier in 1975.

Last edited by Guest on 03-11-15 at 09:42AM

03-11-15 09:48AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

All regions of Canada could send a team before this. YK/NWT joined in the Brier in 1975.

But not as a separate entry and Nunuvut had no representation. Why did it take till 1975 for the territories when they joined Canada in 1870 and 1898! Another example that since its creation the brier has been excluding parts of Canada.

03-11-15 11:21AM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
But not as a separate entry and Nunuvut had no representation. Why did it take till 1975 for the territories when they joined Canada in 1870 and 1898! Another example that since its creation the brier has been excluding parts of Canada.

Do your own research if you're that interested.

03-11-15 11:41AM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Do your own research if you're that interested.

I've done the research.

03-11-15 12:03PM
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I've done the research.

So your questions were rhetorical. Nice. Did you get booted off your high school debating team for a being a jerk there too.

03-11-15 04:17PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

The solution is simple and twofold:

One, go back to five sheets. Been done successfully in the past, no logical reason not to do it again.

Two, Yukon/NWT and Nunavut play off for one spot at the Brier and ALL provincial associations contribute money to help defer the travel costs. Every team plays a 13 team round robin and NO ONE is relegated

IF a day comes that any one of the three territories grows in competitive numbers to the size that warrants their own berth then revisit the situation. Until then the simple solution works best.

Stop penalizing future teams for the poor performance of someone else. Its like blaming children for the sins of their parents.

03-11-15 04:45PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

I hate the relegation. Straight up garbage in my opinion. I dont like the idea of the northern teams playing off either tho. Should be a team canada and 1 team from every province or territory. That makes 14 teams if im not mistaken. So 2 more games then they play now. They dont play at all monday morning anymore and with the added sheet of ice they round robin would be no longer. 5 sheets works well at slams and clubs so its a no brainer to do it at the brier.

What really angers me the most is having a team from northern ontario. I know they have had it forever but what if Jacobs won this year. Who comes out of NO next year? Hackner? Or worse, Some team that just decided to throw a team in because there is only 6 teams at provs and somehow wins a couple games and goes to the brier. Why not have a northern manitoba team, nothern sask team, northern alberta team then too. In ontario you have 4 teams that could win usually so why is jacobs getting auto berthed in from northern ontario? Is there something I'm missing or was there a good reason for northern ontario?

03-11-15 04:50PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Actually it may have been worse if Gushue won. There was only one other team in the NFLD. Provincials

03-11-15 04:59PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

with 14 teams playing a round robin you would need 19 draws with 5 sheets of ice.

Sat-2
Sun-3
mon-3
tue-3
wed-3
thur-3
fri-2
tie break fri night if needed
2nd tie break sat morn if needed
1vs2 sat aft
3vs4 sat night
semi sun morn
bronze sun aft
gold sun night

Play takes the exact same amout of time. Starts saturday afternoon and wraps up sunday night. Team Canada and Every province and territory is represented without a religation

03-11-15 05:10PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss
Is there something I'm missing or was there a good reason for northern ontario?

When curling clubs started to form associations, they didn't do it strictly on provincial lines. Ontario is big, and transportation was slow, and to make a long story short, curling in Ontario is governed by two associations: the OCA (Ontario Curling Association) and the NOCA (Northern Ontario Curling Association).

When McDonald Tobacco started the Brier, they invited associations -- not provinces -- to send representatives. So the NOCA sent one and the OCA sent another. And that's how it's been done ever since.

Many years later, when the national championship for women (which became the STOH) was started, they invited provinces to send representatives, rather than associations. And that's why the women's events and the men's events have always had different entry lists, until this year.

03-11-15 11:22PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Actually it may have been worse if Gushue won. There was only one other team in the NFLD. Provincials

I believe the reason there was only one other team is that it was held in Labrador city, which is incredibly expensive to get to even from within the province. Add cost of being there for several days, loss of work etc only one team showed. There was a thread on this.

If it is held in or near St. John's more teams will show up. And some have done well. Of course Gushue wins. But if the cost is not prohibitive, then the participants are there for a great experience and who knows someday there maybe a new rep.