Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 23 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-07-15 06:07PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

WOW! Lots of missed shots and/or missed sweeping calls in late ends of 3v4

Last edited by dbsdbs on 03-07-15 at 06:14PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-07-15 06:44PM
nicecontroleasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nicecontroleasy Find more posts by nicecontroleasy Add nicecontroleasy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nicecontroleasy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
the $25 k tax free plus the benefitseach is easy $$50k

not a level playing field .....if you win a brier or worlds every couple of years you can easily afford 7 weeks at the slams and playdowns. .. not as easy for the other 7 teams in the top 10.... impossible for the rest

if you like amateurs competing with pros .. your welcome to pick a side ... some of us have differing views

Sorry fresca, but I gotta call it like it is and this post is just plain dumb and I could be harsher than that. Actually I am going to be harsher - your post is dumb and smells of jealousy.

Why wouldn't National Champions be rewarded? Why the heck wouldn't there be incentives for excelling and winning?

Sport Canada gives them carding and Own The Podium helps with training as well as 6 per gender of identified mens and ladies teams and with other developmental programs for La Releve (younger teams/curlers).

The Brier is on TV. The Brier has lots of fans. The Brier has lots of sponsorship. The Brier makes money. Why wouldn't the athletes and champions not share in that??? Business and sports on THIS planet work that way.

03-07-15 06:57PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

It always seemed Martin would mentally exhaust opponents. I can remember Jeff Stoughton often trapped in Martin's web and not knowing what to do. Whereas, Jacobs just physically beats you up and exhaust you in the process.

Forgot one team that would potentially take Jacobs deep into a 7 game series. That team is the Olympic championship team of Brad Gushue w/ Russ Howard's brain. Virtual toss-up w/ slight edge to Jacobs in Game 7 due to superior physical conditioning.

Good points. Martin was a brilliant strategist. He could outwit you or just plain beat you with superior shot-making.

Young Gushue went from a V4 to a V8 with Russ at the helm.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-07-15 06:58PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Ditto....

I'm all for performance based compensation at this level of curling. It also falls in line with funding for all Canadian sports leading to an Olympic competition. You don't fund teams who haven't proven they can compete beyond the base-line level of a yearly trip to the Brier.

When a team wins the Brier, it's pretty solid proof that they have the talent and skill to represent the country Internationally.

I'm also for player compensation period, as it's the curlers that fill the seats and provide a money generator for TSN, sponsors, and the CCA.

I also enjoy watching the development of teams graduating from Junior ranks to the Brier and beyond; Adam Casey and team from PEI being a good example this year.

03-07-15 07:01PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Re: Jacobs

quote:
Originally posted by darkwingduck
Jacobs does have a great team, but on any given weekend he can be beaten, to this point he has not been the top team on the wct the way that martin was

This is true. Jacobs is starting to get some traction in the WCT events. Two Slam finals in the last 11 months, it's only a matter of time before he starts winning them.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-07-15 07:16PM
darkwingduck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwingduck Click here to Send darkwingduck a Private Message Find more posts by darkwingduck Add darkwingduck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwingduck
Knee-Slider

Since 2011 Jacobs and Gushue are 11-11

03-07-15 07:25PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Semifinal

After a great 3-4 game, Team Canada has about a one-and-a-half hour break before going back out for the semi-final. I don't think they can recover physically and mentally in that time, giving Team Nfld a significant advantage.

The hammer and choice of rocks should be enough advantage without this.

I would like to see the Page 3-4 game take place at the same time as (or right after) the 1-2 game so that both teams are at their best in the semi.
Thoughts?

QR

03-07-15 07:30PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I'd be more interested in Jacobs V Gushue stats starting in 2013, the year Jacobs became JACOBS

03-07-15 07:42PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
skill counts for something. .... practise counts for a lot... when Kevin Martin lost by .0008 cm in salt lake city he started throwing 200 rocks a day... he also takes a major share of the sponsorship... throw in tax free $25 k , it is a secret club..... same as china, korea, norway, sweden, scotland, italy , sweden , newfoundland....

but it aint no level playing field"................ is it ?

You do know that canadian athletes get 20,000 for wining a gold at the Olympics, 15,000 for silver and 10,000 for bronze. Is this wrong too, rewarding are athletes for the hard work of wining gold even though they were funded in their sports.

03-07-15 07:42PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Jacobs V Gushue Head-to-Head Comparison

Well we know from this Brier they are 1-1. I can also write that the 2013 Brier they were 1-1.
Jacobs/Gushue are number 2 and 3 in WCT standings respectively this year. Gushue team has won two of the three Grand Slams.

You couldn't find two more evenly matched teams..

03-07-15 07:45PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Re: Semifinal

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
After a great 3-4 game, Team Canada has about a one-and-a-half hour break before going back out for the semi-final. I don't think they can recover physically and mentally in that time, giving Team Nfld a significant advantage.

The hammer and choice of rocks should be enough advantage without this.

I would like to see the Page 3-4 game take place at the same time as (or right after) the 1-2 game so that both teams are at their best in the semi.
Thoughts?

QR

This makes sense for everybody except TV and we all know who calls the shots on scheduling.

03-07-15 07:51PM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm just wondering how many of those dominant teams of the recent past began winning as consistently as Jacobs and his team.....after all they are (with the exception of Fry) in their 20's and have managed to scrape by with a few wins in their brief careers. Will they be amongst the so called "greats" in a few years time. I'm relatively new to the sport, both as a player, and as a fan and I can't help but be on the Jacobs bandwagon...........They are great now, and will probably improve exponentially with time.....thoughts??

03-07-15 07:53PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Re: Jacobs V Gushue Head-to-Head Comparison

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
Well we know from this Brier they are 1-1. I can also write that the 2013 Brier they were 1-1.
Jacobs/Gushue are number 2 and 3 in WCT standings respectively this year. Gushue team has won two of the three Grand Slams.

You couldn't find two more evenly matched teams..

I think we'll probably see the rubber match tomorrow.

03-07-15 08:02PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Claire Marie
I'm just wondering how many of those dominant teams of the recent past began winning as consistently as Jacobs and his team.....after all they are (with the exception of Fry) in their 20's and have managed to scrape by with a few wins in their brief careers. Will they be amongst the so called "greats" in a few years time. I'm relatively new to the sport, both as a player, and as a fan and I can't help but be on the Jacobs bandwagon...........They are great now, and will probably improve exponentially with time.....thoughts??

Martin and Howard both won consistently from the start but Jacobs is more dramatic because of the timing. Brier win, world silver, pre-trials win, trials win, Olympic gold, two Slam finals, Canada Cup finals and his run so far at this years Brier. All in 24 months. Again, pretty dramatic.

Last edited by Radio-Man on 03-07-15 at 08:08PM

03-07-15 08:25PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
sorry dumbass, i would love to see casey, mcewan, kean, laycock, cotter, carruthers, etc win a brier... the field should be level. ( its the federal funding i object to. - i never mentioned the prize money or medal bonuses as being a problem...)

and im 68 and havent curled for 35 years so i doubt that im jealous...lol

and i think by spending $20k on curling tickets the last 5 years im a fan entitled to an opion

gushue 7 simmons 5. 4eeeeeexxxxtttrrraaa ends

:

The top 8 teams receive money form Tim Hortons for wearing their logo on national tv, first and second each get 40,000, third 30,000, fourth 20,000 and 5-8 get around 18,000 so it's not just the winner walking away with cash.

Sorry curling has changed since you played but it has. Do you have any idea what it's like throwing 100 rocks a day? I think you have not clue the amount of work that goes into wining now
It's not just a free ticket to drink all week anymore.

03-07-15 08:43PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Re: The Ice!

quote:
Originally posted by johnnysmoke
Wow, as the ice conditions approach perfect, they also approach a cliff where rocks grab and pick on debris, hand and gripper prints. Already seen 3 major picks that had a direct affect on the outcome of a shot in this 3-4 game.

On the other hand, this near-perfect ice has allowed for some amazing throws. Hope it holds out for the entire 10 or more ends.

Vic made an excellent observation, very little sweeping in the early ends. The ice is so fast that rocks are cruising into the house unassisted. It's taken 6+ ends for both teams to clue in however.

Any thoughts that the cords for the mikes could be causing some problems with the ice? Rycroft's cord was dragging a fair bit on the ground during his delivery with their game against Sask.

Last edited by 5thstone on 03-07-15 at 08:47PM

03-07-15 08:49PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

When you play Team Jacobs you continually play in an atmosphere of fear.
Its not only Jacobs who can hurt you with his cannon - its also Fry.....
Same theory as with Eve Muirhead. These types are game-changers.
You change your game just because of who you're facing. Fortunately, for Jennifer Jones, Anna Sloan isn't quite up to Ryan Fry levels! JJ only has to worry about 2 stones vs. 4

i dont know why you feel the need to bring her into every thread

03-07-15 08:49PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

When you play Team Jacobs you continually play in an atmosphere of fear.
Its not only Jacobs who can hurt you with his cannon - its also Fry.....
Same theory as with Eve Muirhead. These types are game-changers.
You change your game just because of who you're facing. Fortunately, for Jennifer Jones, Anna Sloan isn't quite up to Ryan Fry levels! JJ only has to worry about 2 stones vs. 4

Guess what M.I. this is the BRIER!!!!
You're an idiot!!!

03-07-15 08:52PM
murphyj87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for murphyj87 Click here to Send murphyj87 a Private Message Visit murphyj87's homepage! Find more posts by murphyj87 Add murphyj87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murphyj87
Swing Artist

Re: Re: The Ice!

quote:
Originally posted by 5thstone

Any thoughts that the cords for the mikes could be causing some problems with the ice? Rycroft's cord was dragging a fair bit on the ground during his delivery with their game against Sask.

The cords on those mikes are relatively short. What you may have seen might be antennas (antennae?) or more likely stopwatch cords.

I put my stopwatch in my pocket when I throw so it won't drag on the ice like that.

03-07-15 09:36PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
why do you think im called fresca - i didnt drink and neither did my team and we won a lot more games than you have and we could beat any of these guys on a good day - it hasnt changed that much .. btw i never missed the broom like these guys and we were way smarter than most of the guys calling shots at the brier

2 or 3 shots extra in a game here and there and any team could win the brier - its always been that way

and i have only objected to the funding - not the prize money - go back and get your grade ten in reading comp

It's splitting hairs. What you're saying is that you'd be ok with that funding money if it was instead offered as prize money?

Thing is, you have to win the Brier, Trials or finish 1st on the CTRS to receive the carding money, which is the same as if it was prize money. Other teams will receive some Own the Podium funding by reaching a placement on the CTRS rankings.

As for Brier Prize Money, it has gone up:
1st: $75,000
2nd: $55,000
3rd: $45,000
4th: $35,000

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-07-15 09:43PM
nicecontroleasy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nicecontroleasy Find more posts by nicecontroleasy Add nicecontroleasy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nicecontroleasy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
sorry dumbass, i would love to see casey, mcewan, kean, laycock, cotter, carruthers, etc win a brier... the field should be level. ( its the federal funding i object to. - i never mentioned the prize money or medal bonuses as being a problem...)

and im 68 and havent curled for 35 years so i doubt that im jealous...lol

and i think by spending $20k on curling tickets the last 5 years im a fan entitled to an opion

gushue 7 simmons 5. 4eeeeeexxxxtttrrraaa ends

:

Actually Mcewen and Laycock do receive funding as they are part of the national team program. Carruthers a bit as well I believe.

You mentioned being smarter and always calling the right shots. Guess it was easy strategy back when you played in the No Free Guard Zone.

And just so you know: everyone has an opinion but not everyone is entitled to one!

03-07-15 09:58PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
why do you think im called fresca - i didnt drink and neither did my team and we won a lot more games than you have and we could beat any of these guys on a good day - it hasnt changed that much .. btw i never missed the broom like these guys and we were way smarter than most of the guys calling shots at the brier

2 or 3 shots extra in a game here and there and any team could win the brier - its always been that way

and i have only objected to the funding - not the prize money - go back and get your grade ten in reading comp

Yeah ok I'm sure you could. Anyone can talk big on the Internet. Let's see what you can do on the ice and not what you claim you can while hiding behind a computer screen.

Last edited by mcgregorm89 on 03-07-15 at 10:01PM

03-07-15 10:03PM
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

Morris could not win as the skip but that does not stop him from second-guessing his teammates.

03-07-15 10:15PM
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
we never curled as bad as these guys did this 6th end. even you could get a couple of points on them

Prove it. I thought curlers were supposed to be modest and respectful. Your neither, try acting like a curler.

03-07-15 10:39PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs
Morris could not win as the skip but that does not stop him from second-guessing his teammates.

Bingo.. And the reason why Simmons and Morris are not on the same page in this game is because Morris wants to play his own game and own shot.. You can se on Pats face he is getting frustrated