Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 20 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-06-15 02:54PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Actually might only play two games. That's what Nova Scotia did this year.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-06-15 02:57PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

Equitable access. Travel thousands of miles, play three games and go home, or play 11 plus more games. Equitable, from a bureaucrats perspective.

Equality. Travel within your designated territorial region, playing games to earn a spot at the national championship. Then travel thousands of miles to play 11 or more games. Not equitable, yet efficient and appealing from a players perspective.

Curling Canada needs a new motto, "Equitable, yet stupid"

The second paragraph, that is how some other National Sports organizations do it such as Skate Canada. Qualify out of your region - you get to go to the Nationals. I believe they get government funding.

03-06-15 03:06PM
InTurnDump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for InTurnDump Click here to Send InTurnDump a Private Message Find more posts by InTurnDump Add InTurnDump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InTurnDump
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401
Russ and Cheryl have done a nice job....she has learned the art of saying the minimum and it's refreshing.

Same can be said for Nedohin.

Cathy Gauthier goes on and on and on.
When players are miked we hear them.No need for her to repeat exactly what they said in HER Words.

Couldn't agree more about Cathy, she's like a bad echo sometimes.

I thought Nedoohin was great, I really liked when he was telling a story of how Furby would purposely fudge their %'s when he was unhappy with their play.

He said it would drive Rocque nuts when he would tap the broom indicating guard and then tell them he wanted a 6

03-06-15 03:09PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Something to consider on arena ice that you don't see at your club. When you throw it outside the slide path in the fresh pebble, it actually will run faster than if you throw it down the middle. The other issue with picks happening down the middle too where the ice was more worn down.

The problem with Carruthers on the last shot is that if he took less ice, he'd be in a more unpredictable spot and wouldn't be as sure of the weight to throw. If it curled early, line would be fine, but the spot would be slower. If it ran straight, the weight he would need down the middle would go too deep.

By going wider, he was using a more predictable spot and likely expected it to curl enough when he put the broom down. Probably got it out a little and it just never came back far enough.

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated. Reid should have known then that he couldn't put it out with the ice he called. Either way, a total giveaway of the game.

03-06-15 03:13PM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curler2014

It's so easy, isn't it. To sit back and play armchair politician, peacekeeper, whatever.

Do you not think that Curling Canada has long thought out these things. It is also prudent to understand that Curling Canada did not themselves make these changes - it was a suggestion based on their research, talks with sponsors, talks with the federal government about losing funding because Curling Canada was not providing equitable access etc., that was then approved by the 14 member associations on a vote - of which only PEI voted it down, all others including NS, NB, NWT, YK, NU voted for this change. The change for equitable ACCESS...not equality... there's a difference.... is a move that I support. Ensuring everyone has access to the events is important (everyone has a chance to WIN their way in...what's wrong with losing and being eliminated? #getbetter)

I haven't heard of any indication or a good reason as to why a Team Canada had to be added.

If the 14 associations are happy to have a 13 team Brier then why eliminate the possibility of 3 teams getting in a full menu of games by adding in a Team Canada. That does not make sense.

Maximizing sponsor value should not trump equality or accessibility.

03-06-15 03:26PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

Re: 2015 Brier Surprises!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
1. Gushue & Nichols (Butch Cassidy and the Rock-Dance Kids) returning to Olympic form - tormenting all teams in the deal - almost nabbing 1st in r.r. I expected Goo to be somewhere 6-5 to 8-3.

2. Reid Carruthers coming apart at the seams - bad loss to Alberta last night and a throwaway vs. PEI this a.m. How come PEI didn't throw their last game in the trashbin? Reid is gonna have a hard time making a case to keep this fine team intact - in fact, I give it to you that if Mike McEwen was skipping this group they would have been no worse than 7-4, even with Mike having the McYips.....

3. Team "Canada" - aka The Johnny Mo Project, can't remember if there's ever been such a switcheroo between skip and third at an event this big? Anyone? Two different teams with Doc Simmons taking over from the way too analytical Morris. Still in contention. Expect them to eke out a hard fought win over Sask in the 3-4 and berth into the semi-final Satruday!

4. Jamie Koe going winless - when will the bleeding stop? Maybe never if this guy keeps showing up at the Brier? Had his fun, get a better skip NT. No excuse for this record - I thought he could swarm a fawn or two but in the end - Jamie was the biggest fawn!

5. Steve Laycock - surprised at how much touch this guy has. Experience does count. Now he's profiting from it!

6. Kevin Koe - didn't expect "SUPER TEAM" to tank to 6-5, 7-4 would have been a disaster. Will this group of 'friends' hang in for the Olympic cycle? Prolly not!

7. Menard - a tough street-fightin' team, just couldn't win that extra game to qualify. Always dangerous. Just ask Carruthers.

No surprise in how Jacobs monstered the field. I think I predicted 11-0 or 10-1. Few minor hiccups. These angry beasts are gonna be darn hard to subdue without shotguns and blow-darts!

TV Coverage - loved the options TSN presented. Only a couple times did they miss a quality game. Thought David Nedohin (Sportsnet got Kevin Martin first) did a fine job in his maiden run. Much more down to the level of current curling - vs. Russ who goes back 40 years. Mudryk was a bit of a burden as he continually pestered Nedohin with questions.
Cheryl continued her improvement but just marginally - at times she sounded like she needed a nap. Fortunately Russ is almost always on and Vic will go Wayne & Schuster on them if things are dragging. Cathy Gauthier is a very high quality sideline girl.
Still need improvement in shot-focusing and direction.

1) I'm not surprised by Gushue at all. #2 on the money list. Has finished top of the round robin before. His front end has now been there enough times that the big lights don't phase them. He was my dark horse pick to win it all.

2) I thought Reid would do better as well, maybe 6-5. It's a slippery game though and the odd mistake here or there against a team you "should" beat can make all the difference.

3) I was not at all surprised to see this team falter just because they had not put in a ton of time together. I was just as amazed as everyone else that they would be this good with Pat Simmons at skip. Pat's a great skip, but to be thrust into that role halfway through the brier is unheard of. Not only didn't he miss a beat, but he's been awesome!

4) I'm surprised that JK is winless too ... but let's face it, he's still the strength of this team. Without him there would be no surprise about an 0-11 record.

5) I was not surprised by Laycock at all. His game is not flashy, but he makes a ton of shots and very few mistakes. There's a reason he's been up there on the money list the last several seasons. I think we've seen him jump it up a level to a skip that now makes the big shot in the big moments too.

6) Koe was a surprise but let's face it, the first two loses were food poisoning related and the next few were due to skips playing AMAZING against them. That Gushue shot was a 1 out of 100. This team will not be disbanded so easily. At most Langer might move on.

7) Menard is always good at the brier ... just not quite a super star. It never surprises me to see him in the mix to the end. And if the big guys falter he makes them pay.

Last edited by Deucey on 03-06-15 at 03:31PM

03-06-15 03:32PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:

Obviously from the point of pride its extremely important.

Can't win many games when your front end is playing 90%, your 3rd is 88% and you're puking up 73s & 74s.

Don't wanna have your name affixed to the mopes of Manitoba.

ie. 1963 - Hershy Lerner went 3-7
1968 - Burke Parker went 4-6
1969 - Bobby Robinson went 3-7

You don't have to go back to the 60s to find lousy Manitoba teams.. Brent Scales 3-8(2004)
John Bubbs 3-8(2003)

This really makes it obvious in my mind The Ferbey Four won Briers in very weak fields IMO.. Much weaker than the competition the Martin team faced in 2008 and 2009

03-06-15 03:39PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Ventry

I haven't heard of any indication or a good reason as to why a Team Canada had to be added.

People like watching really good teams play. That's the reason. I wish we could have seen Martin play Ferbey at a Brier. Would've been great!

Team Canada works well at the Scotties, adds one more great team to the Brier (usually), and doesn't change the fundamentals of province vs. province.

Certainly one can be against Canada's inclusion, but this is the reason, and it's a good one in my opinion.

03-06-15 03:40PM
rick8end is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick8end Find more posts by rick8end Add rick8end to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rick8end
Swing Artist

quote:

His rink curled fantastic. Moskowy only had one extreme stank shot that prolly cost Reid a game.
Question - if you were on Reid's team would you continue on? Or look for a better skip to run with?

They'll stick together. While there are some up and comers in Calvert and Dunstone, there is a real lack of quality skips in Manitoba. McEwan is the best by a mile, other than in the MB playdowns. Carruthers is second best at this time. There's no way Reid's team could upgrade even if they wanted to look for another skip.

03-06-15 03:46PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

You don't have to go back to the 60s to find lousy Manitoba teams.. Brent Scales 3-8(2004)
John Bubbs 3-8(2003)

This really makes it obvious in my mind The Ferbey Four won Briers in very weak fields IMO.. Much weaker than the competition the Martin team faced in 2008 and 2009

Ferbey also won Briers against strong fields in 2001 and 2005.

03-06-15 03:51PM
Borough Boy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Borough Boy Click here to Send Borough Boy a Private Message Find more posts by Borough Boy Add Borough Boy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Borough Boy
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just a thought, would Jamie Koe have rather a) been relegated and not in the Brier or b)play in the Brier and go ofer and clearly this year, outclassed?

03-06-15 04:05PM
InTurnDump is offline Click Here to See the Profile for InTurnDump Click here to Send InTurnDump a Private Message Find more posts by InTurnDump Add InTurnDump to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
InTurnDump
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy
Just a thought, would Jamie Koe have rather a) been relegated and not in the Brier or b)play in the Brier and go ofer and clearly this year, outclassed?

If they threatened Patch access with performance you might have seen a W or 2 put on the board

03-06-15 04:32PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

Well as I sat and watched these games, all I can say is THANK YOU to all the teams for giving me many hours of entertainment. I felt the disappointment of those who did not qualify and the joy of those who did.

I am no expert on who has better skills than whom but I do know the next 2 days are going to be incredibly exciting.

I think Laycock's final handshake with Cotter showed incredible class.

Glad team K Koe did not make it to the finals. There is something very arrogant about them, and they needed to fall to Earth.

Glad Casey's team did not blow out. His team has potential if they stick together. They did well considering they have never been to the big show before. Other than jrs.

Pat Simmons deserves to be skip and proved it. Johnny Mo at least has matured enough to acknowledge that.

I have a soft spot for Manitoba, and am sorry Reid was not able to have a better showing. they too have the potential.

J Koe probably enjoys the patch more than the actual rink. At least that is the interpretation from his twitter acct. He has had some great games in the past but it might be time to step aside. To the experts out there does Jamie's throw seem off? He does not appear to come out of the hack with square shoulders. Just wondering if that is the camera angle, but other players seem straighter. Realigning shoulders sure helped EJ.

The World teams should be very afraid of whom ever comes out of this. We have 4 very strong teams ready to represent this country.

03-06-15 04:33PM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by InTurnDump

If they threatened Patch access with performance you might have seen a W or 2 put on the board

Good one. Sad but true.

03-06-15 04:37PM
Ventry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ventry Click here to Send Ventry a Private Message Find more posts by Ventry Add Ventry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ventry
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

People like watching really good teams play. That's the reason. I wish we could have seen Martin play Ferbey at a Brier. Would've been great!

Team Canada works well at the Scotties, adds one more great team to the Brier (usually), and doesn't change the fundamentals of province vs. province.

Certainly one can be against Canada's inclusion, but this is the reason, and it's a good one in my opinion.

That's what the Slam events are for, and the Canada Cup.

03-06-15 04:41PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

What other governing body gives a free pass to past champions?

The reasonable assessment of this specific scenario is the inclusion of Team Canada has created relegation. Unless there's a real issue with making it a 13 team round robin, they can add a 13th team, the Yukon/Nunavet, to the round robin no problem.

I've already made my view on team Canada clear, should actually read my post. Any luck finding another championship, no well that's cause one doesn't exist.

03-06-15 04:44PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:

That's what the Slam events are for, and the Canada Cup.

And if you want a bunch of club curlers than watch the travellers curling club championships. The brier was made for the best curlers in Canada.

03-06-15 04:49PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Someone on here claimed Jamie Koe played the bronze medal game in 2012 on a half hours sleep

And reading his twitter account yeah Jamie Koe seems more excited about the Brier patch than anything else

03-06-15 05:11PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie
Well as I sat and watched these games, all I can say is THANK YOU to all the teams for giving me many hours of entertainment. I felt the disappointment of those who did not qualify and the joy of those who did.

I am no expert on who has better skills than whom but I do know the next 2 days are going to be incredibly exciting.

Glad team K Koe did not make it to the finals. There is something very arrogant about them, and they needed to fall to Earth.

Glad Casey's team did not blow out. His team has potential if they stick together. They did well considering they have never been to the big show before. Other than jrs.

Pat Simmons deserves to be skip and proved it. Johnny Mo at least has matured enough to acknowledge that.

I have a soft spot for Manitoba, and am sorry Reid was not able to have a better showing. they too have the potential.

J Koe probably enjoys the patch more than the actual rink. At least that is the interpretation from his twitter acct. He has had some great games in the past but it might be time to step aside. To the experts out there does Jamie's throw seem off? He does not appear to come out of the hack with square shoulders. Just wondering if that is the camera angle, but other players seem straighter. Realigning shoulders sure helped EJ.

The World teams should be very afraid of whom ever comes out of this. We have 4 very strong teams ready to represent this country.

That's just how JK slides. It's not an ideal delivery, but you can still make shots with a "unique" delivery if you practice enough.

03-06-15 05:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

very happy to see pei and ontario finish strong. 5-6 is a respectable record for a first time team.

im most surprised by 2 teams.

1. northwest territories - i know there are a lot of people not surprised but if you have payed attention before to this team you know they are a lot better then what they showd this week. i just cant believe they went winless.

2. manitoba - for a team that i thought , as many did that they could be playoff contenders this is a massive surprise. even at his worst i had him going 6-5. by far this is the biggest disapointment of the week. i will leave it to legend to confirm it or jot nut a 10th place finish may be the worst ever performamce for manitoba at a brier.

i have to admit im disapointed there arent any tiebreakers. all that excitement and drama during the week and then a straight forward end.

03-06-15 06:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Western Newbie

i think kevin is fine. but i have never like kennedy or hebert they strike me as very arrogant and ben poubts more than any top player i have seen when things arent going his way

as for my winner of this event i will stick with my pick of newfoundland and it would be great to see brad win a brier finally. his best shot he has ever had is this year

really anyone other than saskatchewan winning im okay with though

Last edited by misty1 on 03-06-15 at 06:05PM

03-06-15 06:08PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

And if you want a bunch of club curlers than watch the travellers curling club championships. The brier was made for the best curlers in Canada.

With the advent of olympic inclusion, a whole new level of professional curlers has evolved. Time/conditioning commitments, teams comprised of top curlers irrespective of origin, very costly travel commitments around the world etc. As a result the traditional teams comprised of friends or club teams that used to go to the brier and represent their province, no longer exist as the best teams in Canada. We all know some provinces second or third best teams may be better than the best of some province/territory, and therefore I feel our rep to world competition should come from the slam/money tournaments where all the best teams compete and have opportunity to win.

03-06-15 06:50PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

I think the Canada Cup would be ideal for a ticket to the worlds.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

03-06-15 07:00PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

That's just how JK slides. It's not an ideal delivery, but you can still make shots with a "unique" delivery if you practice enough.

I guess his performance is either slipping or the competition has improved a lot in the last 4 years, but he is not a skip that I expected to lose all his games. So I wondered if the posturing is a sign that he is no longer as focused on his game. Thanks tho.

03-06-15 07:05PM
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i think kevin is fine. but i have never like kennedy or hebert they strike me as very arrogant and ben poubts more than any top player i have seen when things arent going his way

as for my winner of this event i will stick with my pick of newfoundland and it would be great to see brad win a brier finally. his best shot he has ever had is this year

really anyone other than saskatchewan winning im okay with though

I agree about Kennedy and Hiebert. Surprised Koe joined them actually and I am not fond of Laing either. So the whole team is my least fav because Kevin was not dialed into his Worlds last year. Or the team wasn't and felt his desertion. I kinda like that they beat Kevin in the round robin and qualified.

I know life changes but I hate it.