Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Look & Play Like a Pro
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (6): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Val Sweeting -3-0

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Looking like her usual self again and curling great..90% in the Draw 8 win
Nik Edin - such a pleasure to watch.. bounced back from his first game loss with a 92% win against McEwen..
Carruthers is going to be all Nik can handle tonight

The Men's rivalry between Jacobs and Gushue continues at 7ET
Great to see the Battle of the Brads again..

When Val is fuelled by hi-octane shooting she's a handful for anyone (domestic or international)

She may not have the technical brilliance of the Homan group - or the aggressive mastery of the 4-foot (like Jones) but she brings a sublime joy to the game - never a lot of angst and argument on that team - the team is co-directed by Val and that veteran 3rd Lori Olson-Johns.

When Val starts curling up a storm (a rarity last couple seasons) she's a force to be reckoned with.

Might I add she might even present a more viable option to topple Homan at the Scots - Val's game is steeped in conservatism and rarely takes the wild-eyed chances JJ does when confronting Homan.

Whatever the case, I think its clear the Top 3 in Canada are pretty much set at - Homan, Jones, Sweeting. The rest, including Chelsea Carey and Ali Flaxey are at a significantly lower level.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-16 06:26PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

old times

and how could I forget to mention Vic Peters and Kerry Burtnyk!

Still love watching, but would never miss a game before, now if I miss one, it is no big deal to me.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 12-08-16 at 06:46PM

Old Post 12-08-16 06:43PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

I am counting on Brad to win this one tonight

Old Post 12-08-16 07:09PM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

that was a bad loss by epping to koe. john's last 2 rocks in 8 were painful bad.

Old Post 12-08-16 07:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Muirhead

has had a great season however he slam season has been a disaster. 23 slams in and its possible she fails to qualify in all 3

she will not be happy

outside the slams though she's been great

Old Post 12-08-16 09:16PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Brad j misses an easy double - overthrown

Several picks in that game .. ugh

Laycock gases open hit to win - picked so bad the peel weight barely got thru the house....

pics are soooo heartbreaking - especially on last rock !!!!

Old Post 12-08-16 09:33PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Nice to see the youngsters get a win.

Old Post 12-08-16 09:38PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Talking Tanner Horgan

Unless Murdoch gets by Koe tomorrow Horgan will actually have
a better standing at 1-4 than the former 2-time world champ!

Old Post 12-08-16 09:55PM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Muirhead

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
has had a great season however he slam season has been a disaster. 23 slams in and its possible she fails to qualify in all 3

she will not be happy

outside the slams though she's been great

She's looked grumpy every day here so far. And tonight, it looked to me that she got out-witted by Einerson more than out-played, where the steals she gave up were as a result of Einerson pulling off hit-and-roll-to-behind-cover shots from one wing to the other. I don't think I'm describing that quite right, but I know I didn't see those shots coming, and maybe Muirhead didn't either and thinks she should have? I don't know.

Tonight's matches were probably my last ones here. If there's a window in the snow tomorrow I'll be using it to head home, before a larger storm for there hits as expected on Saturday & Sunday.

Old Post 12-08-16 10:12PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Click here to Send Observer a Private Message Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Tanner Horgan

quote:
Originally posted by HotRocks
Unless Murdoch gets by Koe tomorrow Horgan will actually have
a better standing at 1-4 than the former 2-time world champ!

No slight against the young Horgans but Dave Murdoch is a shell of his former world-championship winning squad.

Guess the Scottish federation will have to russle up another group of players from another skip's team to keep Murdoch in business! lol

Old Post 12-08-16 10:22PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Although I've already predicted a Sweeting vs. Homan finale I'm still looking forward to the Sweeting vs. Jones round-robin Dual at High Noon - - -

Sweeting is already thru to the playoff round - and even if she horsewhips Jones, Jones will probably qualify at 2-2.

Val has kicked it into high gear - curling in the mid 80s to low 90s - that's a height she's rarely been able to attain.

Jones, meanwhile is winning but curling in the low to mid 70s, taking apart slumping or lower class opponents.

Remember, even though Jones won the big spiel last week - the only loss on her dance card was inflicted by none other than Val Sweeting in one of the best games of her life. Remember the pure joy they had after knocking off Championship Jones in the round-robin. Again, Jones helped bring Val off the slump-heap.

Now Val appears nothing short of lethal. I hope she'll be able to make it thru to the final - where her odds-on opponent will be The Mean Girls. Both teams curling well - but at this point - based on a smallish sample size I'd rate Sweeting as slight favourites.

The MENS EVENT - what a hodge-podge. Right now, Reid Carruthers has risen into the biggest current monster in the game - both he and 3rd man Bray Moskowy were mid 90s this afternoon clinching a playoff berth.

Gushue despite obviously still ailing and a bit out of shape is still going strong - mostly at the hands of his killer crew - so it wouldn't surprise me to see Goo vs. Reidzilla in the finale!

Old Post 12-08-16 11:18PM
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Gushue, Carruthers advance to playoffs

Brad Gushue, who missed eight events to start the season, has advanced with a 3-0 record
Reid Carruthers also qualified at 3-0 carrying the momentum from his Canada Cup victory Sunday where he clinched a spot in next year’s Olympic Trials.

Old Post 12-09-16 02:16AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Thumbs up Homan and Sweeting Qualify

Rachel Homan has qualified for the 18th consecutive time at a Pinty’s Grand Slam of Curling event.

Homan gets into playoffs with a 3-0 record thanks to a 10-2 rout over Allison Flaxey of Caledon during Draw 8 Thursday.

Sweeting has one more round-robin game to go against recent Canada Cup winner Jones on Friday

Old Post 12-09-16 02:19AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think what goes down at GSOC - Sweeting will vanquish Jones in their final round-robin; Jones just isn't firing on all cylinders to stave off the incredible shot-pelting of Val & Lori O, even the front end at times. Jones is in near-top form but Val is out of this world.

Jones probably still qualifies at 2-2 but huge chance she draws either Homan or Sweeting in the quarter-final.

The way the top 3 are playing this week - I can see JJ having a slightly better chance staving off Homan's shot-pelting vs. Vals.

Still think this comes down to Sweeting vs. Homan. Great test for Val to see how she handles a similar hi-octane team - that's been far more consistent than hers.

Feltscher vs. Hasselborg this a.m. Very evenly matched teams - Hasselborg the new breed of Swedish curling while Binia is the old swiss guard.

Current Canadian champs Chelsea Carey trying to stave off elimination against the very steady and conservative Krista McCarville. Carey has developed into a totally erratic performer - but can still pull off wins when she's right.

Old Post 12-09-16 09:43AM
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I think what goes down at GSOC - Sweeting will vanquish Jones in their final round-robin; Jones just isn't firing on all cylinders to stave off the incredible shot-pelting of Val & Lori O, even the front end at times. Jones is in near-top form but Val is out of this world.

Jones probably still qualifies at 2-2 but huge chance she draws either Homan or Sweeting in the quarter-final.

The way the top 3 are playing this week - I can see JJ having a slightly better chance staving off Homan's shot-pelting vs. Vals.

Still think this comes down to Sweeting vs. Homan. Great test for Val to see how she handles a similar hi-octane team - that's been far more consistent than hers.

Feltscher vs. Hasselborg this a.m. Very evenly matched teams - Hasselborg the new breed of Swedish curling while Binia is the old swiss guard.

Current Canadian champs Chelsea Carey trying to stave off elimination against the very steady and conservative Krista McCarville. Carey has developed into a totally erratic performer - but can still pull off wins when she's right.

Just to be clear ML, as of last night Sweeting was down in 6th place for skips at 79% this week. Agree she is playing better but I think incredible shot pelting is a little over-stating her performance so far. But I do think she has a chance to win this.

Correction, she is now up to 2nd, at 81%. Very good. Out of this world? Maybe not.

Last edited by Runback on 12-09-16 at 11:23AM

Old Post 12-09-16 11:21AM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Runback

Just to be clear ML, as of last night Sweeting was down in 6th place for skips at 79% this week. Agree she is playing better but I think incredible shot pelting is a little over-stating her performance so far. But I do think she has a chance to win this.

Correction, she is now up to 2nd, at 81%. Very good. Out of this world? Maybe not.

Val has a nasty habit of missing rings or open hits in the first couple ends. Just can't certify the ice properly - a real weakness, particularly when she's up against the very best.

So the 81# is a bit misleading cuz after she comprehends ice she goes monster.

Who's #1 skip btw? I suspect Homan!

Old Post 12-09-16 11:29AM
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Val has a nasty habit of missing rings or open hits in the first couple ends. Just can't certify the ice properly - a real weakness, particularly when she's up against the very best.

So the 81# is a bit misleading cuz after she comprehends ice she goes monster.

Who's #1 skip btw? I suspect Homan!

If you go to the linescores and click on percentages in the top left corner you can look at all of the players. My predication is one of Sweeting, Jones, Homan winning this. Yea, going WAY out on the ledge.

Old Post 12-09-16 11:38AM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Did anyone else pick up on some of Gushue's comments about Jacobs last night while he had a 'hot mic'?

Old Post 12-09-16 12:00PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mark and Fry were going at one another pretty well

Old Post 12-09-16 01:37PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

Sweeting

Hey ML, you were right and I was wrong. Win or lose, Sweeting curling her brains out!

Old Post 12-09-16 02:28PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

What a bizarre end to the VS-JJ game. I've never seen JJ so indecisive on a shot like that.

Old Post 12-09-16 02:47PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Harvey Hacksmasher

I've enjoyed reading the Observer's comments.
Seems to me, he/she is better than most of the on-ice commentators!!
Thank you, Observer.

Old Post 12-09-16 03:12PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

to be fair , its easier to come up with a few gems an hour than continuos banter for 3 hrs 3 x a day for a week , every week for a month, every month for 6 months, for 25 years..

Old Post 12-09-16 04:36PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

JJ vs. Val

Due to Jones indecisiveness my PVR whipped out after lead rocks in the extra.

What kind of dilemma did Jen face with her final stone?

Even though Valerie curled a perfect game - Jones had ample opportunity to put the Albertans away - BUT FAILED!

Anyways that can describe or show a video of Jones failed last rocks would be appreciated!

Old Post 12-09-16 05:42PM
albetts
Drawmaster

Re: JJ vs. Val

quote:
Due to Jones indecisiveness my PVR whipped out after lead rocks in the extra.

What kind of dilemma did Jen face with her final stone?

Even though Valerie curled a perfect game - Jones had ample opportunity to put the Albertans away - BUT FAILED!

Anyways that can describe or show a video of Jones failed last rocks would be appreciated!

Doesn't your PVR ask you if you want to add an hour as this is a live event????? Just wondering.

Old Post 12-09-16 05:46PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote