M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 13 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-19-15 06:12PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Pretty awful performance from Homan there, making a lot of half misses and it cost her in the end. She's in danger of going 7-4 now and with the win Sweeting locks up a place in the 1-2 Game, where she'll play Jones.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-19-15 06:14PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by decade

They haven't been sharp all yr. Courtney is no Allie.

Well Team Canada isn't as good as they were last year and Alberta is better,, Not likely a coincidence

02-19-15 06:15PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

I'm quite surprised with the finish of that game. Lorie OJ made a bad situation worse with her last shot. Homan had a chance to put Sweeting in Jail with a precision hit and she missed it. It was no gimme, but the type of shot you expect Rachel to make 9/10 times. Val made a nice raise takeout on her last one to get two, but owes her sweepers a pat on the back for holding it the whole way to make it by a whisker.

02-19-15 06:22PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

you have zero confirmation kaitlyn is dating him. he lives in ontario, its very possible he is simply a friend of brent and 4jen

You can get your confirmation on twitter if you want to.

02-19-15 06:22PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Beemer
You really need to branch out ML. There are other Canadian athletes besides JJ. You know every stat about JJ but you didn't know who Scott Moir is ?

lol ML is still peeved Jenny didn't get to be the flag bearer for the opening ceremony in Sochi.. BTW Scott Moir should be a double gold medalist at the winter Olympics last year the French and American judge conspired to screw Moir and Virtue out of there gold medal and made sure Davis/White got the gold!!

02-19-15 06:24PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Yes, both Homan and Val seemed to wilt slightly under pressure. Homan made the shot she wanted but wiped out her 3rd shot on the side - which enable Val to have a chance to make the short angle raise for the W - and she barely pulled it off - I actually thought she turned it in . . .

She definitely turned it in. She called them on it immediately after letting go.

Homan was a little unlucky on her 2nd shot to kill her other rock, but if she makes her first then Alberta is scrambling to even make 1.

02-19-15 06:27PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i know it wont happen but wouldnt it be something if rachel lost to new brunswick and northern ontario

on another note i know that most people will vote for alberta vs manitoba tomorrow but its in effect a meaningless game. we know they will play the 1 v.s 2 game. i would rather watch canada v.s northern ontario. there is a lot more meaning attached to this game. determines if northern ontario makes playoffs.

also, i know that it wont happen but if new brunswick does beat canada tonight it determines if they make playoffs. in fact if lightning did strike and rachel loses tonight you have to show her game tomorrow

i know no one thinks new brunswick will 2in but no one thought nova scotia would either

02-19-15 06:27PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

Momentum is one of the biggest myths in all of sports. There have been numerous studies and with very few exceptions they have shown that it just doesn't exist within a game. (not to mention between games weeks apart)

1. One study tracked NBA shooting. It showed that a shooter who had made a number of shots in a row was just as likely to make his next shot as a shooter had missed a number of shots in a row. (assuming their overall yearly percentage was the same)

2. In baseball a hitter who has been "hot" is no more likely to get a hit than a hitter who has been cold because you don't know when his random hot hitting will stop. People who think that a 0.250 hitter who is 8 for his last 15 is more likely to get a hit than a 0.250 hitter who is 2 for his last 15 are just plain wrong.

To suggest that team Sweeting has some type of "momentum" across weeks of games is just absurd. They are a very good team and as they play more games together they'll be more consistent. Why use a stupid word like momentum. Leave it where it belongs. In a Physics classroom.

Athletes reference momentum all the time

Jacobs had great momentum from the pre-trials to the trials. Call it what you want, but I can't see how winning the pre-Event didn't create a greater belief that they could win it. LeBron talked about riding momentum when the Heat went on a 27 game win streak. Continually winning creates a strong belief within a team. Athletes often reference it. Let's call it positive building blocks.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-19-15 06:34PM
Dackle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dackle Click here to Send Dackle a Private Message Find more posts by Dackle Add Dackle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dackle
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i know it wont happen but wouldnt it be something if rachel lost to new brunswick and northern ontario

on another note i know that most people will vote for alberta vs manitoba tomorrow but its in effect a meaningless game. we know they will play the 1 v.s 2 game. i would rather watch canada v.s northern ontario. there is a lot more meaning attached to this game. determines if northern ontario makes playoffs.

also, i know that it wont happen but if new brunswick does beat canada tonight it determines if they make playoffs. in fact if lightning did strike and rachel loses tonight you have to show her game tomorrow

i know no one thinks new brunswick will 2in but no one thought nova scotia would either

I agree with you misty1. The odds are not in NB's favour, but on any given day anyone can beat anyone, and Rachel must be down after losing to Val. That would be quite something!

02-19-15 06:40PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

What's really got to be frustrating for team Canada is the fact that despite their performances not being at the level they've come to expect of themselves, the games are still coming down to the knife's edge. What will be fascinating to see is how they react going forward.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-19-15 06:53PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Rock Your World

Well Team Canada isn't as good as they were last year and Alberta is better,, Not likely a coincidence

Ouch. Courtney is a great young talent but when Homan picked her up my first thought was how rough around the edges she was compared to the technically polished Ali K. She's a diamond in the rough not yet fully realized. Not sure what that does for the team the remainder of this event or year though. She could be brilliant in the playoffs..

02-19-15 06:56PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Will to win is a better trait than momentum. Momentum is a statistic. Will to win is innate!

Momentum is a statistic???? That's just about the dumbest thing you've ever posted on this site, and that's saying something because you say stupid things on a daily basis.

Momentum is a freaking Physics term that is an expression of the product of the mass and velocity of an object. A car has momentum when you are driving it. When you are standing on the street you have no momentum. It has nothing to do with sports. I'm not sure which sportcaster first started using the term, but whoever it was they created a monster that won't go away.

If I hear the word momentum come out of Vic Rauter's mouth one more time I'm going to........................

02-19-15 07:01PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:

We can critique Homan (TC) til the cows come home but the fact remains they are a highly trained, highly skilled group of athletes. Rachel has had some heart-breaking moments for a young star. She lost an Ontario final the very meek Tracy Horgan a few years ago when she gunched her final stone.

She won back to back CANADIAN TITLES (one over Jones, other over Sweeting) but couldn't win the world title on either adventure.

She was subdued quite easily in the last Olympic trials.

She hasn't won a tournament final all season despite earning some good cash.

But there's two types you never write off - Killers & Mean Girls!
I like how Rachel is handling the adversity. Even after having Val rack her up - she took to the crowd and started signing autographs. No visible signs of moping or anger.

Oh, I'm not writing Rachel off, believe me, I still think at her best she's better then anyone in the world! That's what's frustrating to watch, and must be for her. Russ made the comment about the introduction of the finesse game possibly being a reason for the inconsistencies. There is probably truth to that along with other factors, but Rachel is a killer and will be back with a vengeance. Whether it's in this years playoffs or next year is the question. Maybe it's a question of one step back, two steps forward.

Val to me has been the best team in Canada since November. I picked her to win this multiple times and I've seen nothing this week to change my mind.

02-19-15 07:15PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man
Athletes reference momentum all the time

Do you know why? Because they heard some other athlete use the term and so they follow suit. 30 years ago athletes didn't use the word momentum at all.

Maybe we are talking about different things. You're talking about victories creating confidence which leads to more victories. Why call that momentum? Call it being confident and being able to produce under pressure.

What I'm talking about is how Vic Rauter uses the word momentum as something a team has within a game. Like when a team comes from being three down to take the lead he'll say that they now have the momentum.

It's completely untrue.

I challenge anybody to try this and prove me wrong.

Let's call blanking or scoring 2+ with hammer a positive result ans scoring one or giving up a steal a negative result.

Look at a 100 different cases where a team has 3 positive results in a row. Like team Sweeting in the first 3 ends tonight. Let's call this "having momentum" Then look at what happens in the end immediately after that. I'm willing to venture that it's close to a 50/50 split as to which team gets the positive result in that end. The only exception would be when one team is just much better than the other team like Nunuvut getting killed in junior games. Those games you have to throw out.

It's human nature to look for patterns in things that are just random. When two even;y matched teams play a 10 end curling game there aren't "changes in momentum" but rather just normal random fluctuations.

Like when you flip a coin (even teams) 10 times you almost never get HTHTHTHTHT. You get something like HHTTTHTHHT. I guess that means that a dime can have momentum.

02-19-15 07:24PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:

Nobody can write off Rachel. True. She'll have her hands full with another defensive squad led by S Lawton in the 3 vs 4. Obviously, Team Homan is far better trained and can play a variety of games. Lawton depends mostly on Sherry Anderson's tremendous freezers to nullify opposition scoring. In a final rock showdown I think most folks in the know would want Homan throwing last brick vs. Lawton. But if Rachel is slightly off her game - Lawton could walk off with a W in a boring snooze-fest. Even if Tracy Horgan makes it into a tie-breaker either Homan or Lawton will make short work of the meek Northern Ontario outfit

Well said.

And let's call it like it is, do you really believe that if Jones or Sweeting had to face Homan again that it wouldn't be another coin flip? Sure, TC hasn't been at it's best, but it could be that day. Still a strong chance to 3 peat, I just wouldn't put money on it. I'd bet on a MB v Alberta final.

02-19-15 07:38PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

Do you know why? Because they heard some other athlete use the term and so they follow suit. 30 years ago athletes didn't use the word momentum at all.

Maybe we are talking about different things. You're talking about victories creating confidence which leads to more victories. Why call that momentum? Call it being confident and being able to produce under pressure.

What I'm talking about is how Vic Rauter uses the word momentum as something a team has within a game. Like when a team comes from being three down to take the lead he'll say that they now have the momentum.

It's completely untrue.

I challenge anybody to try this and prove me wrong.

Let's call blanking or scoring 2+ with hammer a positive result ans scoring one or giving up a steal a negative result.

Look at a 100 different cases where a team has 3 positive results in a row. Like team Sweeting in the first 3 ends tonight. Let's call this "having momentum" Then look at what happens in the end immediately after that. I'm willing to venture that it's close to a 50/50 split as to which team gets the positive result in that end. The only exception would be when one team is just much better than the other team like Nunuvut getting killed in junior games. Those games you have to throw out.

It's human nature to look for patterns in things that are just random. When two even;y matched teams play a 10 end curling game there aren't "changes in momentum" but rather just normal random fluctuations.

Like when you flip a coin (even teams) 10 times you almost never get HTHTHTHTHT. You get something like HHTTTHTHHT. I guess that means that a dime can have momentum.

Whatever you want to call it, or whether it can be proven or it's unproven, it's the word athletes often use. It's a misuse of the word, but athletes believe in the concept, or net result of constant positive affirmations and how it breeds greater BELIEF in oneself. Does it even really matter if it can be scientifically measured or proven?

Last edited by Radio-Man on 02-19-15 at 07:55PM

02-19-15 07:38PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

I'm enjoying Cheryl's commentary a lot. She's quite professional and certainly knows what she's talking about. However, she commented today that Val is much like Connie Laliberti. Tell me, when was the last time you walked in to a curling club and looked at the face of any skip and could tell if they were winning or losing. I agree Val and Connie are both cool but one can see cool detachment on many skips. I certainly don't believe that by looking at their faces you can tell whether or not they are winning or losing as Cheryl suggested. This is just a comment on my part but I think the comment was just silly. Cheryl seemed to be looking for something to say about Val's coolness in response to either Vic or Russ but I really don't think Val has the monopoly on cool. imho

02-19-15 07:41PM
NSCoach is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NSCoach Click here to Send NSCoach a Private Message Find more posts by NSCoach Add NSCoach to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NSCoach
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Deucey

She definitely turned it in. She called them on it immediately after letting go.

Homan was a little unlucky on her 2nd shot to kill her other rock, but if she makes her first then Alberta is scrambling to even make 1.

I think Homan was in such a hurry to kill those two stones she didnt consider what her shooter would do

02-19-15 07:41PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Whatever you want to call it, or whether it can be proven or it's unproven, it's the word athletes often use. Ok, it's a misuse of the word, but whatever you want to call it many athletes believe in the concept, or net result of constant positive affirmations and how it breeds greater BELIEF in oneself and how it leads to better results. Does it even really matter if it can be scientifically measured or proven?

Radio Man, don't go there with this guy. Isn't this a curling forum? We'll do physics another time, not in the middle of the Scotties. Commentators say things. Russ seems to use the expression "exactly" a lot and sometimes this gets under my skin. imho

02-19-15 07:50PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Radio Man, don't go there with this guy. Isn't this a curling forum? We'll do physics another time, not in the middle of the Scotties. Commentators say things. Russ seems to use the expression "exactly" a lot and sometimes this gets under my skin. imho

I was going to use examples of religious faith but I thought against it. Best we don't go down that rabbit hole on a curling forum. :up:

02-19-15 07:54PM
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I was going to use examples of religious faith but I thought against it. Best we don't go down that rabbit hole on a curling forum. :up:

02-19-15 08:01PM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

AB was pretty clearly the better team today. If it wasn't for Rachel's missed double rolling into an absolutely perfect spot in the 5th, it's a 3 point AB lead at the break and likely not the exciting finish it turned out to be.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see SK topple AB tonight. Completely meaningless game for AB (can't even secure top spot and hammer/choice of rocks) and very meaningful game for SK.

Also, I'd be shocked if CAN/NO wasn't the feature game tomorrow. The AB/MB game will only be for hammer in the 1vs2 game and the real AB/MB game will happen later Friday evening.

Side note: I think many people are realizing that despite being a great sweeper, Jo Courtney is not close to an elite level shot maker.

Last edited by Hack Weight on 02-19-15 at 08:03PM

02-19-15 08:15PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Hack Weight
AB was pretty clearly the better team today. If it wasn't for Rachel's missed double rolling into an absolutely perfect spot in the 5th, it's a 3 point AB lead at the break and likely not the exciting finish it turned out to be.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see SK topple AB tonight. Completely meaningless game for AB (can't even secure top spot and hammer/choice of rocks) and very meaningful game for SK.

Also, I'd be shocked if CAN/NO wasn't the feature game tomorrow. The AB/MB game will only be for hammer in the 1vs2 game and the real AB/MB game will happen later Friday evening.

Side note: I think many people are realizing that despite being a great sweeper, Jo Courtney is not close to an elite level shot maker.

no, i agree, she's not. her value lies in her sweeping skills. she can get hot and have a great game but she's an average shot maker at best. in terms of shot making she's a big step down from ali k.

02-19-15 08:43PM
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

quote:

Cheryl's claim to fame is falling at the hands of the Big Swedes at Vancouver Olympics - a final Cheryl had in her grasp in both the final and extra end.

Thank you for reminding us for the thousandth time

02-19-15 08:56PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

oh wow. its early goings guys but new brunswick leads canada 3-0 after 3