Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-08-16 05:13PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Announcers

TSN has had Vic Rauter for years, playing the guy that is learning the game. Seems to work pretty good.
Sportsnet has Mike Harris doing the same role. But I don't think its an act. He really doesn't have a clue. How the hell he ever won the Olympic rep is beyond me.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-08-16 06:41PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

he did

yup, I guess he knew enough to beat Martin, Stoughton, etc.

So hit your Mute button.

I am just happy they televise more curling!

12-08-16 06:58PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

And every time someone mentions the silver medal he whines about losing the gold because he was sick,

12-08-16 07:58PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

yes

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
rogers is a slow learner - scoreboard and rock counter too big and misplaced - worst possible spot on the screen - be nice to see it along right side (

Love the way TSN's was for the Canada Cup.

12-08-16 09:17PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Actually Rogers had it right last year. Don't know why they changed.

http://www.curlingzone.com/showthre...order+by+lastpo

12-09-16 02:43PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

Re: Announcers

quote:
Originally posted by guido
TSN has had Vic Rauter for years, playing the guy that is learning the game. Seems to work pretty good.
Sportsnet has Mike Harris doing the same role. But I don't think its an act. He really doesn't have a clue. How the hell he ever won the Olympic rep is beyond me.

You're comparing apples with oranges. Vic Rauter is a professional sportscaster with TSN. Mike Harris is a color commentator with Sportsnet.

Did you mean to say Rob Faulds?

12-09-16 03:24PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Announcers

quote:
Originally posted by Guest

You're comparing apples with oranges. Vic Rauter is a professional sportscaster with TSN. Mike Harris is a color commentator with Sportsnet.

Did you mean to say Rob Faulds?

No.

12-09-16 04:07PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

LOL, I'm finding it entertaining that Martin has to keep biting his tongue.

12-09-16 05:04PM
Whisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Whisper Click here to Send Whisper a Private Message Find more posts by Whisper Add Whisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Whisper
Knee-Slider

In my opinion I think Sports Net has the better production with less announcer chatter, more curler and rink sounds with timely and experienced color commentary. Kevin and Mike do a real good job but old Russ is the Master.

12-09-16 05:41PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
i wonder what ben and mark really think ....

They'd better come to terms with the fact that their skip is not God. Mark puts the broom down and suggests a play that may be a circus shot. Ben is just a poor sport.

01-08-17 05:29PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

And Harris continues to prove he's a dumb ass. Quite entertaining

01-09-17 03:31PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

I happen to think he's a breathe of fresh air compared to Russ over at TSN. I want a commentator to offer colour---i.e. opinions---and not be everyone's best friend and therefore afraid to offend. Care to elaborate, I'd be interested in what he had to say that set you off.

01-09-17 03:35PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I prefer Mike over Russ myself. Russ has a tendency to ramble on and he also has this habit of tongue bathing top teams and you can tell who he is hoping for while watching a match

Anyway, I don't think it's any secret that Sportsnet has a far better commentary team. They play off each other better. He there are some awkward moments but in general they are just better. They aren't afraid to criticize and they explain things better.they also talk less

Last edited by misty1 on 01-09-17 at 03:43PM

01-15-17 10:30PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Swing Artist

I think Vic is an asset to broadcasts and plays his role perfectly. I'm not sold on Cheryl, if only because she half-laughs through so many of her comments as a method of emphasizing them. It grates. She is clearly smart enough, but someone has to tell her to just speak normally. Russ is an analytical star and catches all the strategy I would surely miss...though I do agree he can sometimes be too positive.

As for the Sportsnet broadcasts, I just can't get into them. I respect Martin, and I probably like Harris more than most. Maybe it's just the events that Sportsnet hosts. I care so much more about TSN's national/world championship events.

I have tried watching curling outside of Canada, but the commentary was altogether too simplified to be tolerable.

01-15-17 10:59PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Vic

Vic is there for 3 reasons

1 Dumb it down for the casual viewer

2 Play the role of Alex Trebek asking questions that may or may not be stupid to keep the other commentators engaged

3 Play the role of Count Dracula from Sesame Street being able to count. 1-2-3 for team world....aaaah Vic there's a red on the button...oh make that 1 team North America!

01-17-17 10:01AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Totally agree with you In-Off.

But did you ever count how many questions Vic asks during an eight end game?

I did it once (never again) and determined he averaged 3 questions for every rock played. That's an astonishing
384 questions! ( 3 x 16 x 8).

That's enough to make anybody hit the Mute button!

01-17-17 12:23PM
kwojtalik is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kwojtalik Click here to Send kwojtalik a Private Message Find more posts by kwojtalik Add kwojtalik to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kwojtalik
Hitting Paint

I like Vic Rauter and Rob Faulds. I can't stand the way Cheryl and Russ gush over their favorite teams I usually have to mute them during these times so I can enjoy the game. I think Kevin Martin does a great job.

01-19-17 10:27PM
newbroom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newbroom Click here to Send newbroom a Private Message Find more posts by newbroom Add newbroom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newbroom
Harvey Hacksmasher

I prefer the Sportsnet team by far as well. Kevin, Mike and Joan mesh together well and as said before aren't afraid to state their own opinion from time to time. Meanwhile Vic still asking dumb questions after all these years and Russ sugar coating all the play and repeating "exactly" to any statements from Cheryl, I too have to mute TSN.

01-20-17 08:27PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by newbroom
I prefer the Sportsnet team by far as well. Kevin, Mike and Joan mesh together well and as said before aren't afraid to state their own opinion from time to time. Meanwhile Vic still asking dumb questions after all these years and Russ sugar coating all the play and repeating "exactly" to any statements from Cheryl, I too have to mute TSN.

I commented on one of my posts that I'm fed up hearing Russ constantly saying "exactly". I love his and Cheryl's banter but sometimes they do seem gushy toward certain teams. Must be getting old cause when Sportsnet is covering the grand slams I always think that Joanie must be from the Osmond family with that wide wide teeth glaring smile. Yup, I'm getting too old cause far too many things bother me these days. lol

01-20-17 08:32PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i know full well the role vic is there to play. howqever for the last couple of years he's developed the habit of saying"no offense" or "no disrespect intended" and then proceeds to say something that is indeed offensive or disrespectful. if he thinks it'll come off that way then dont ask or dont make the damn comment

01-21-17 02:53AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i know full well the role vic is there to play. howqever for the last couple of years he's developed the habit of saying"no offense" or "no disrespect intended" and then proceeds to say something that is indeed offensive or disrespectful. if he thinks it'll come off that way then dont ask or dont make the damn comment

Or he could just say what he has to say without prefacing it with "No offence", or "no disrespect intended".
We need far less 'political correctness' and artificial politeness, not more.
People should say what they honestly think and feel, and allow others to perceive them as as a genius or as a jerk.

That said, I have no major problem with Vic.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

01-21-17 07:34AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Or he could just say what he has to say without prefacing it with "No offence", or "no disrespect intended".
We need far less 'political correctness' and artificial politeness, not more.
People should say what they honestly think and feel, and allow others to perceive them as as a genius or as a jerk.

That said, I have no major problem with Vic.

Normally ID agree but he is a commentator sonhe does need to be respectful and watch what he says

01-21-17 05:07PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

The best sportscasters all have the same basic skills

highlighted by a pleasant demeanor, strong communication

skills, the ability to speak clearly and expressively of

the sport or sports they are broadcasting and most importantly

a distinctive voice. It is not necessary at all that they

participated in that sport at a high level. Some of the all-

time best, e.g. Al Michaels, Vince Scully, Chris Schnekel,

Bob Costas etc. were never among the best in the sports they

covered. Costas was terrible at golf, football (never played)

boxing (never) horse racing (nope) but that mattered not.

With respect to curling, I prefer Howard primarily because

of his knowledge of the game and his distinctive, obviously

authoritative voice. I think it is noteworthy that this was

not something he developed over time; it was obvious the

very fisrt day he joined the TSN team.

01-21-17 08:19PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I think TSN, Sportsnet, and the occasional CBC for the most part do well with the commentary. I do have my favourites and those that make me cringe. My suggestion would be a lot less yak and a lot more listen. Instead of having a perceived need of filling the air with constant babble, let's just listen to the players and the sound of the rock sliding down the ice. Say what you have to say after the shot. Shut up while it's in play. Then count 'em up.