M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Masters of Curling 2013

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-04-13 12:09AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Although the games were top-notch you have to call this event an absolute disaster for the host committee. Seeing as they do not get a share of the advertising revenue and have to foot the costs the loss must be in the high five figures (if not six!) since they are supposed to survive on ticket sales. And there was very few folks in those seats all week.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 209.121.225.238

11-04-13 03:01AM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

never said losing to sigfridsson was a horrid loss. However what im saying is that people need to slow down a bit. she will be great but she;'s not at the point yet when we can say she's the best in the world or the best this country has to offer.

Total and utter nonesense. One of the best teams in the world and has been for quite some time.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-04-13 09:47AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I hope Eve's teammates realize that they need to also make shots and not depend on the skip all the time to bail them out.

Unless this was a crafty Scottish strategy to lull Rachel into a false sense of security

As for the trials, I do hope it is Homan as at least her team can battle the rest of the worlds. If Jones can get her team functioning I would be ok with her as well. The rest meh.

11-04-13 11:00AM
Unregistered

I really dont think you can be so quick to write off so many of the canadian teams on the ladies side. Did anyone actually expect cheryl bernard to egt to the final in 2010? no.

While i wouldnt name all the ladies contenders im not writing any of them off, whoever gets there either.

misty1

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.164.58

11-04-13 11:52AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I have to agree with curlerbroad. Unless Eve was turtling she wasn't close to Homan in any category. M (Miskew) also slaughtered Anna Sloan from pillar to post.

I think when Jennifer Jones reviews the events of this past weekend she'll realize that she's deficient at third as the mostly brilliant Kaitlyn Lawes seems to suffer setbacks at the worst possible times.

Jones is still a killer skip but with Lawes having problems and Jill Officer now basically a serviceable (but not brilliant) 2nd - Jones knows her all-in offensive strategy can crush her at the worst times.

Wonder if JJ brings in Ashley Howard as their 5th player and inserts her in the lineup when playing Homan and/or Lawton at the Trials? Couldn't do better than Howard as their 5th player at this point, I'd say!

Lawton is the only other Canadian team I'd trust (but less than Homan or Jones) in Sochi. Stefania has never been to a worlds or Olympics but make no mistake they are darn good. Stef's game is somewhere in between Jones wild offensive affairs and Homan's conservative snooze-fests.

Here's how I'd rate the 3 top Canadian teams if each got to Sochi...

1. Homan - 2 losses in the round-robin, no more than 3. Berth in playoffs. Finish - 2nd or 3rd in RR.

2. Jones - 3 to 4 losses only if Officer and Lawes contribute. Make playoffs but might struggle for a bronze medal.

3. Lawton - wild variation. As few as 2 losses in RR, as many as 5. Could finish as high as 2nd in RR, as low as out of playoffs (5th). Despite limited international experience they possess the fighting spirit of Saskatchewan.

Lawton has this hands down
I doubt Rachel Homan will make it to the playoffs

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 68.68.96.38

11-04-13 12:46PM
radiowave is offline Click Here to See the Profile for radiowave Click here to Send radiowave a Private Message Find more posts by radiowave Add radiowave to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
radiowave
Hitting Paint

Great win for Homan against Muirhead. She'd been on the receiving end the last few match-ups so it was good to see her turn the tables on Eve in such a big final. This could be a huge win for the team moving forward into the trials. They're a confident bunch no doubt, but this will definitely give them a boost of validation. I certainly don't think either team were at their best, particularly early on, but we saw flashes of brilliance from the Homan side in the later ends.

The trials will be amazing. I think the favorites are Jones and Homan, but there are other teams who are capable of winning the thing if they get hot and Jones/Homan have off weeks.

11-04-13 02:10PM
Mowich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mowich Click here to Send Mowich a Private Message Find more posts by Mowich Add Mowich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mowich
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
I hope Eve's teammates realize that they need to also make shots and not depend on the skip all the time to bail them out.

Unless this was a crafty Scottish strategy to lull Rachel into a false sense of security

As for the trials, I do hope it is Homan as at least her team can battle the rest of the worlds. If Jones can get her team functioning I would be ok with her as well. The rest meh.

After Richard Hart made that startling announcement about Team Muirhead not going to the World's this year, I began to wonder if that might be having an effect on the team's play last night as Eve had a couple of misses herself........just saying.

11-04-13 02:43PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Mowich

After Richard Hart made that startling announcement about Team Muirhead not going to the World's this year, I began to wonder if that might be having an effect on the team's play last night as Eve had a couple of misses herself........just saying.

If Homan wins the trials she won't be able to go to Scotties as Team Canada due to events conflict. There was no such conflict in the U.K. - brit curling just wanted another team to get world experience so Eve gets the Olympic berth but can't defend her world title.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.244.29.129

11-04-13 03:27PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
If Homan wins the trials she won't be able to go to Scotties as Team Canada due to events conflict. There was no such conflict in the U.K. - brit curling just wanted another team to get world experience so Eve gets the Olympic berth but can't defend her world title.

And according to the announcers last night - Team Muirhead is planning to appeal that decision.

I think Homan doesn't care as deeply otherwise we would have heard more. Her goal is the Olympics this year.

My fervant wish this year is that Canadian women bring home curling gold. Yes Lawton has an outside chance and even Middaugh has shown flashes of brilliance overseas (Radission Cup winner and a Chinese cashspiel last year) but I want the best team at the time to go. Cheryl's team was the best at the time...until that miss in the gold medal game. Mentally prepared? Pressure? Here's hoping that the team that reps Canada is both physically prepared, highly skilled and have minds like a steel trap.

11-04-13 06:29PM
Manitoba Legend

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

And according to the announcers last night - Team Muirhead is planning to appeal that decision.

I think Homan doesn't care as deeply otherwise we would have heard more. Her goal is the Olympics this year.

My fervant wish this year is that Canadian women bring home curling gold. Yes Lawton has an outside chance and even Middaugh has shown flashes of brilliance overseas (Radission Cup winner and a Chinese cashspiel last year) but I want the best team at the time to go. Cheryl's team was the best at the time...until that miss in the gold medal game. Mentally prepared? Pressure? Here's hoping that the team that reps Canada is both physically prepared, highly skilled and have minds like a steel trap.

Good points CB. The other big factor is Homan team easily has the best coaching in Leonard Cohen (aka Earle Morris).... Lawton has a decent coach, Jones basically coaches herself although Jan Arnot (Connie Laliberte's old lead from the 80s and early 90s) is technically listed as coach.

I'm sure JJ learned some lessons in BC. One is that Jill Officer and Kaitlyn Lawes must play at their absolute best in order for Jones to win. And while I think Lawes will log in some high percentages she'll also crap out on key set-up shots and key preventative shots. Officer has concentrated so much on keeping up with Sherri Singler she's been totally surpassed by Ali Kreviazuk from Team Mean Girls. As usual Jones games will be the most exciting but Homan's squad has the fewest weaknesses. Keep in mind it always comes down to a 1-game showdown so whether Homan's opponent is Jones, Lawton, Nedohin or someone else - that team could go unconcsious and take the duke. (Just think of how Amber Holland went nuts 3 years ago to slither by JJ, she just couldn't miss no matter how weak her other players were)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.72.149.228