Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 16 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-10-14 12:56PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

2014 Brier

AB.- Koe
B.C.- Morris
Man.- Stoughton
N.B.- Gratton
NFLD/LAB.- Gushue
N.O.- Currie
N.S.- Murphy
Ont.- Balsdon
P.E.I.-MacKenzie
Que.- menard
Sask.- Laycock
Terr.- Koe

My picks for playoffs:
Man.
Ab.
B.C.
Nfld/Lab.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-10-14 02:54PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Windy

It is a very good field. I believe each of these teams would have been ranked 1st or 2nd going into their provincials. Maybe Greg Balsdon would have been ranked 3rd in a tough province.

Expect a lot of good games. The ice makers like the Kamloops arena so conditions should be great. Tickets are still available. If you aren't already coming, consider making the trip.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.66.64.23

02-10-14 03:13PM
Unregistered

Morris

Must of been nice for JohnnyMo to ease out of BC with no competition. No wonder he moved to BC, that final was a laughfest against Montgomery.

Just like the Scotties, there probably will be 4 teams that will be the strongest...BC, MB, NFLD, AB.

& nice to hear Ray Turnball again too.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.13

02-10-14 03:16PM
Unregistered

Re: Morris

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Must of been nice for JohnnyMo to ease out of BC with no competition. No wonder he moved to BC, that final was a laughfest against Montgomery.

Just like the Scotties, there probably will be 4 teams that will be the strongest...BC, MB, NFLD, AB.

& nice to hear Ray Turnball again too.

No competition? your aware that he scraped through that page playoff game yes?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

02-10-14 03:48PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Morris

quote:

Morris/Cotter may have scraped throught the Page 1-2 game and arguably should have lost considering that Pierce gave up 4 coming home when they were 3 up (hard to imagine how that happened), however, based on what I saw of the semi final game Saturday evening and the absolute dismantling of Montgomery in the final, I think the "no competition" comment was still valid.

Pierce's team not doubt had a serious let-down after what happened in the 1-2 game but they had Montgomery down 4-1 in the semi final and let them back in the game with a questionable end where Montgomery counted three to tie the game and then stole the next two ends to go up by three.

I'd be surprised if the playoff teams at the Brier are anyone other than AB, BC, MB, and NL in no particular order with perhaps a slight edge to AB and MB.

02-10-14 03:53PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Morris

quote:

That kind confirms the "no competition" statement. A half decent team wouldn't have given up 4 in the 10th when 3 up.

02-10-14 04:27PM
rock_star is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rock_star Click here to Send rock_star a Private Message Find more posts by rock_star Add rock_star to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rock_star
Swing Artist

I'm calling it for Gushue.

02-10-14 07:38PM
Unregistered

At last year's Scotts Brad Jacobs turned into the town bully. He left a ton of very good teams layin' as he marched to the title.

With Jacobs absent the bully role will either go to Johnny Mo or Kevin Koe.....

Stoughton's recent play has been very bullifying, if not electrifying but Jeff moderates his play and actually becomes quite cautious in most Brier matches.

Goo will certainly be a factor but still doesn't have the depth in crew that some of the others have. Goo was the outstanding skip last year but just couldn't topple monsters.

Morris, Stoughton, Koe, Gushue - that would be the money quartet for page....

Menard & Grattan may push the envelope, waiting for one of the above four teams to falter.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 50.72.149.228

02-11-14 11:11AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

I agree that Koe, Stoughton, Morris and Gushue are the likely candidates for playoffs. I'm going to go out on a limb and call Morris as the winner of the round robin with stoughton 2nd, Gushue 3rd and Koe falling to a tie breaker.

Menard is always a tough call because you know the talent is there, but they aren't consistent year over year. They're always in the mix, but you don't know if they're going to pull off an upset or two that would push them into playoffs.

Balsdon is the Wild Card. First brier for him and team so will he be nervous? Or chomping at the bit to prove he belongs in the big show and would have appeared way sooner if not for Howard.

Gratton and J. Koe are in the same boat. We've seen them enough times to know that they're likely to beat up on the weaker competition and MAYBE pull off an upset. Chance at tie-breakers.

02-11-14 11:14AM
Unregistered

Grattan might have the best team he's ever had with him as a skip. If there was ever a time when he was going to really push for a medal it would be this year.

If this team could just get out more I really feel like they'd have a shot at playoffs

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 130.179.165.150

02-13-14 10:24AM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

This may be the most "obvious" Brier in the last ten years.

Cause 'obviously' Stoughton, Koe, Gushue, Morris are the top four contenders.

And 'obviously' Menard, Laycock, Grattan, Balsdon are the next tier.

And "obviously" J. Koe, McKenzie, Currie and Murphy have no chance at all.

Well in my 30 odd years in this game it has been my experience that the obvious happens maybe a 1/3 of the time. So the more interesting question is which of the dark horses are gonna upset the ole apple cart.

My guesses........Stoughton and Koe are quite simply the class of the field. There would have to be very long odds to get me to bet on them missing the Playoffs and they are my 1-2 picks.

Gushue carried the team through the Brier last year, and almost through the Pre-Trials. The emphasis on almost. He's my first upset pick, Gushue misses the playoffs. Who takes their place? I'm gonna go with this being the year that Steve Laycock finally raises his level and makes it into the 3
-4 game.

I would like to be able to pick another upset but with Team Morris in their home province, and Jim Cotter finally having a Vice that is his equal, this team will contend.

And the winner is......well Team Koe has never missed making the Final, and has won a Grand Slam this year. Yes they blew a tire at the Trials, but they also knocked off the King of Alberta to get here so I'm gonna say that they will make the Final.

Again I'd like to pick another upset for the other side of the Finals so I'm gonna. For years I've been picking Cotter to be the dark horse that does some damage. And every year the only damage they've done is to themselves...lol...so I'd hate to be on the outside looking in if this is the year they finally break through. Morris over Stoughton in the Semi-Final.

So a Koe v Cotter Final with Koe taking it is my guess. Lord knows I've never been better than average at this in the past, this year will no doubt prove little different no matter how 'obvious' it seems from the outset.

02-13-14 10:44AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by JB42
This may be the most "obvious" Brier in the last ten years.

Cause 'obviously' Stoughton, Koe, Gushue, Morris are the top four contenders.

And 'obviously' Menard, Laycock, Grattan, Balsdon are the next tier.

And "obviously" J. Koe, McKenzie, Currie and Murphy have no chance at all.

I guess things aren't as obvious to me.
Putting a rookie in the 2nd tier above a former playoff competitor from 2 years ago, seems a bit optimistic.
"Most" rookies have the deer in the headlights look at their first brier. K. Koe being the exception.

02-13-14 11:05AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

Sorry, but J Koe made the playoffs 2 years ago. On that alone I think he deserves to be in the "next tier" and not the "no chance" tier. His standard record is about 5-6, but is capable of the odd upset which would put him in playoff contention.

02-13-14 12:24PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Morris

quote:
Question: did Morris actually move to BC? I had heard that this was one of those 'questionable' eligibility things.

02-13-14 12:47PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

My guess is that J. Koe will finish under 500 and so I put him in the bottom tier. Could I be wrong? Heck, that's my norm:-) But it is my guess. We shall see what we shall see.

My tendency is to go with the teams that play the WCT. The more they play against that level, and the better they do, the more likely I am to pick them. J. Koe doesn't so I don't....pick them that is.

02-13-14 12:50PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Well obviously the eligibility question was settled before the playdowns, but I heard it was a bit sketchy (though not unprecedented)

02-13-14 12:51PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Morris

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I don't think Morris has any concerns about the CCA confronting him about his 'residency'. What are they gonna do? Suspend the hometown favourite for the Brier?

If it was Virtue and in Regina, they might......

02-13-14 05:25PM
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
My guess is that J. Koe will finish under 500 and so I put him in the bottom tier. Could I be wrong? Heck, that's my norm:-) But it is my guess. We shall see what we shall see.

My tendency is to go with the teams that play the WCT. The more they play against that level, and the better they do, the more likely I am to pick them. J. Koe doesn't so I don't....pick them that is.

Fair points ... except JK does play the WCT. He went 0-3 at the Red Deer Curling Classic and 4-1 to qualify at the Original 16 Classic in Calgary. Ok, not exactly slam events, but he does try to get out there as much as a team from NWT can.

Grattan got out about the same amount. Same with Balsdon.

I would put Menard and Laycock in "the next tier"
Balsdon, Gratton and JK in the "underdog tier"
and I won't bother naming the "no chance tier"

02-13-14 05:30PM
JB42
Drawmaster

to Deucey

That's actually better thought out than mine. So....what you said....:-)

02-13-14 07:50PM
Balls

Does John Morris even know where Kamloops is?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.69.68.22

02-14-14 10:28AM
Deucey
Drawmaster

Re: to Deucey

quote:
That's actually better thought out than mine. So....what you said....:-)

Yay, I convinced somebody! My buddy does a brier pool so I do try and do a little bit of analysis. Of course it all goes to pot when the first upset or two happens

02-14-14 11:29AM
dugless_13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_13 Click here to Send dugless_13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_13 Add dugless_13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_13
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Lineup Change for Manitoba Brier entry

quote:
Looks like Reid Carruthers will be moving down to lead and former Olympic gold medallist Mark Nichols will play 2nd at the Kelowna Brier. Here's the article from today's Wpg Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-245490561.html

Holy Crap, I bought tickets for Kamloops and now they decided to move the Brier to Kelowna. Thanks ML for this timely information.

02-14-14 02:56PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Lineup Change for Manitoba Brier entry

quote:
Looks like Reid Carruthers will be moving down to lead and former Olympic gold medallist Mark Nichols will play 2nd at the Kelowna Brier. Here's the article from today's Wpg Free Press

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...-245490561.html

Is this the one in fifty.

02-14-14 05:43PM
SPMFromPCC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SPMFromPCC Click here to Send SPMFromPCC a Private Message Find more posts by SPMFromPCC Add SPMFromPCC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SPMFromPCC
Swing Artist

Confirmed on Team Stoughton's web page:

http://www.teamjeffstoughton.ca/?p=353

I figured it was only a matter of time until this change was made. Nichols is an insane hitter, he really should be throwing second.

02-14-14 06:38PM
Unregistered

Prediction Time

Top 4 are obvious.

K. Koe 10-1
Stoughton 10-1
Morris 9-2
Gushue 8-3
Laycock 6-5
Menard 5-6