Neumann 3rd
McLaughlin  Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 30 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-01-15 04:28PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Netz
I hope this is the last we see of Koe, really like him, but can't take all the input from the others, c'mon now every shot.

By the way Jacobs is not much better.

I saw one instance last night where Koe looked like he had enough, well say something.

I remember people here used to say that Kevin Martin was just lucky as he needed Ben and Marc to make all his shots. After watching the game this morning, I can't help but wonder if Ben and Marc needed a Kevin Martin just as much. Someone who was clearly in charge and supremely confident in his game calling.

Certainly, Koe is just struggling right now, and these guys are talented enough to figure it out, but I don't think it helps Koe to have these guys questioning every little decision he makes.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-15 04:31PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

For those who are concerned about the "quality" of a full Brier/Scotties field and the winner's ability to represent Canada, here's a suggestion...

Just scrap the Scotties and the Brier altogether.

I mean, who wants to see mediocrity, right? Think of the money that the CCA and provincial associations will save by not having stupid provincial playdowns.

Just send the pro tour winners-that way people won't have to take time off work to travel across the country and meet fellow curling fans. Who gives a crap, right?

There-problem solved-you're welcome.

Last edited by Jimbobogie on 03-01-15 at 04:35PM

03-01-15 04:41PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nicecontroleasy
Someone on here posted before saying we have always had relegation for eons. It was just all of the Territories playing off for 1 spot. Was that fair? Not really.

Now it has converted to 4 of the bottom provinces and territories (or region of Northern Ontario) playing for that last spot. Is that fair? Not completely.

Is it fair when some of our best teams compete for 1 spot out of the same province? No, not fair either.

But, The Brier has never been about fairness!

Inequalities have been around in The Brier for a long, long time. A National Championship in its purest form is having the best of the best competing to represent our country on the World stage no matter where they live in Canada. However, The Brier is a showcase of Canadiana that just happens to be our designated National Championship.

Curling Canada appears to be attempting to do a balancing act between the two ideals. It appears they are adapting a middle ground with some of the recent changes and trying to make The Brier a stronger competition while still keeping elements of tradition. But, on the flip side many will argue to go all the way one way or the other - do it right and do it well instead of somewhere in between.

Thoughts?

You're certainly right that the Brier has never been about fairness and I think you're right that Curling Canada is trying to balance the two ideals. I'm personally fine with it in theory. I'll enjoy this Brier at least as much, if not more than most Briers. However, I do think the execution of this has been sloppy (eliminating a team on a draw to the button, for example).

03-01-15 04:45PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
For those who are concerned about the "quality" of a full Brier/Scotties field and the winner's ability to represent Canada, here's a suggestion...

I mean, who wants to see mediocrity, right? Think of the money that the CCA and provincial associations will save by not having stupid provincial playdowns.

Just send the pro tour winners-that way people won't have to take time off work to travel across the country and meet fellow curling fans. Who gives a crap, right?

OK, straw man. No one wants that. If you're argument is that the quality of the field shouldn't matter, I think that's a questionable argument, but you're welcome to it.

03-01-15 05:10PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

You're saying that nobody wants that, but on the other hand you want the Brier to be nothing more than another stop on the popular pro circuit-with a corresponding number of ticket sales. If you've read my earlier posts, you know how I feel about the Brier and Scotties (firmly in the Bob Weeks camp).

Nobody complains about the size of the U.S. Open or Masters fields because some pros get the week off to accommodate amateur players. The TV ratings tend to be higher than those of a regular PGA Tour event too.

Won't it be funny if Alberta and Manitoba are both missing from next year's Brier? As I said earlier, the Scotties folks are going to have fun selling advance packages in B.C.

03-01-15 05:22PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:

My guess is this is exactly what the ca and the wct are planning with a big push from the tv networks.

03-01-15 05:52PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

K-Mart was always clearly in control. Sometimes he'd bring his players into it to confirm a decision he'd already made - giving them the illusion they were part of the decision-making process. They weren't!

Says Kevin Martin's brain...

03-01-15 05:59PM
Deez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deez Click here to Send Deez a Private Message Find more posts by Deez Add Deez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deez
Harvey Hacksmasher

Did I hear that there was a broken rock in the New Brunswick game? True/Not True?

03-01-15 06:39PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

false.....

quote:
Originally posted by Deez
Did I hear that there was a broken rock in the New Brunswick game? True/Not True?
was told Gallant from N.L. had broken handle on rock during game

03-01-15 07:03PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I remember people here used to say that Kevin Martin was just lucky as he needed Ben and Marc to make all his shots. After watching the game this morning, I can't help but wonder if Ben and Marc needed a Kevin Martin just as much. Someone who was clearly in charge and supremely confident in his game calling.

Certainly, Koe is just struggling right now, and these guys are talented enough to figure it out, but I don't think it helps Koe to have these guys questioning every little decision he makes.

I totally agree with you. Kevin Martin was truly one of the best especially when it came to strategy. He always was one step ahead and knew exactly what he wanted to do. He didn't need to ask his teammates for input on what shot to play a whole lot. Koe on the other hand seems to need opinions from his teammates all the time even with shots where the best call is very obvious. But I find Hebert annoying with him forcing his opinion on the best shot down the team's throat saying like his option is 'by far' better than the other ones and stuff like that. So I don't blame Koe one bit if he finds that irritating.

Anyway Koe is so indecisive, especially this week he has seemed to be lost and have no idea what he's doing. Even Kennedy himself wondered out loud if Koe even had a plan during this morning's game. Kennedy and Hebert played with Martin so long adjusting to playing with Koe would be very difficult. The same goes with Brent Laing after playing with Howard for a long time. So to me there's no doubt Hebert and Kennedy needed him just as badly, if not more so, than Martin needed them.

03-01-15 07:11PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

I completely agree. Koe is a 2-time Canadian Champ, let him call the game. I cringe everytime Marc or Brent question his calls or ice. It's unnecessary.

03-01-15 07:13PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingNut1994

I totally agree with you. Kevin Martin was truly one of the best especially when it came to strategy. He always was one step ahead and knew exactly what he wanted to do. He didn't need to ask his teammates for input on what shot to play a whole lot. Koe on the other hand seems to need opinions from his teammates all the time even with shots where the best call is very obvious. But I find Hebert annoying with him forcing his opinion on the best shot down the team's throat saying like his option is 'by far' better than the other ones and stuff like that. So I don't blame Koe one bit if he finds that irritating.

Anyway Koe is so indecisive, especially this week he has seemed to be lost and have no idea what he's doing. Even Kennedy himself wondered out loud if Koe even had a plan during this morning's game. Kennedy and Hebert played with Martin so long adjusting to playing with Koe would be very difficult. The same goes with Brent Laing after playing with Howard for a long time. So to me there's no doubt Hebert and Kennedy needed him just as badly, if not more so, than Martin needed them.

Hebert has far too much to say. He's behaving as if he's enjoying being heard. Something he didn't enjoy when he played with Martin. I wish he would just shut up and I also wish Koe would stop giving the rest of the team the impression that he values their opinion. Just stop asking for it and do your stuff. You (Koe) are too good at what you do. The look on Brent's face this morning was like "I'm not sure I made the right decision here". Its Brent and Kevin Koe that I'm feeling a wee bit sorry for.

03-01-15 08:01PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

great win for the young guys from pei today. very good rebound from the ontario heartbreak.

this team could very well be 2-0 right now. looking really good gere

03-01-15 08:31PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Island boys hang in tough against Team Canada

and certainly they deserved the win following a narrow lose yesterday ....Casey is smooth throwing skips stones

03-01-15 08:32PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingNut1994

Koe did not do too bad pre Kennedy-Laing-Hebert.

03-01-15 08:40PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont think its ever bad for a third or the team to share ideas with the skip as long as the skip has final say. It does seem to me that kevin is questioning himself a lot more than i have seen him before and i dont know if thats lack of confidence or just constantly being questioned by his team.

03-01-15 08:42PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

Apparently Kevin Koe has been suffering from food poisoning since yesterday, which would explain his poor play.

03-01-15 08:44PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

decade, I sincerely hope that you're wrong-the key word is "hope". There will be a real price to pay.

03-01-15 09:02PM
Rock Your World is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rock Your World Click here to Send Rock Your World a Private Message Find more posts by Rock Your World Add Rock Your World to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock Your World
Swing Artist

Mat Camm is for all intents and purposes the skip of Ontario.. He and his 2 junior buddies boss Mark a round quite a bit

03-01-15 11:34PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

great day for pei going 2-0. 2-1 now and really should be 3-0. keep going guys.

03-01-15 11:57PM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
You're saying that nobody wants that, but on the other hand you want the Brier to be nothing more than another stop on the popular pro circuit-with a corresponding number of ticket sales. If you've read my earlier posts, you know how I feel about the Brier and Scotties (firmly in the Bob Weeks camp).

Nobody complains about the size of the U.S. Open or Masters fields because some pros get the week off to accommodate amateur players. The TV ratings tend to be higher than those of a regular PGA Tour event too.

Won't it be funny if Alberta and Manitoba are both missing from next year's Brier? As I said earlier, the Scotties folks are going to have fun selling advance packages in B.C.

I mean, would you say this Brier is nothing more than another stop on the pro circuit? I would not. I certainly would not want them to change the provincial/territorial format, but I am ok not having every one of them in the main draw (as are most people, because they didn't care that only one of the territories were represented before).

03-02-15 12:00AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

He's baaaaacccckkkkk

03-02-15 12:00AM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by decade

My guess is this is exactly what the ca and the wct are planning with a big push from the tv networks.

Can I just ask, why would the CCA or TSN want to scrap the Brier/Scotties? How would that be a positive for them?

03-02-15 01:26AM
CaptMorgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CaptMorgan Click here to Send CaptMorgan a Private Message Find more posts by CaptMorgan Add CaptMorgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CaptMorgan
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Curl401

As for 'you' watching the Rel round...who cares.

My point exactly! Why is your opinion so special?

03-02-15 01:31AM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Island Roger
CCA should pay attention to the crowds. WTC events are empty. Brier is packed.

There is a reason for that.

IF the CCA wants to use the Canada Cup to decide the World Championship Rep I dont think anyone (Curlers / Provinces / CCA) would have a problem with that. It would give them time to prepare, schedule time from work etc etc.

But by changing the format of the Brier / Scotties they are playing with fire.

The Scotties just had record setting ratings, over a million tuned in for the finals on Oscar night but yeah with relegation these are dying because people couldn't go on without. Is Harper still in the stands maybe PEI and NS can hand deliver their petition now.