M: World Senior Curling Championships
Ostersund, SWE
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 4:30am ET
CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 17 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-20-15 07:23PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Nobody predicted Jennifer Jones would cut Cathy O.

Nobody predicted Rachel Homan would pilfer Joanne Courtney from Team Sweeting.

Nobody predicted (other than that idiot from Manitoba) that Andrea Crawford would leave Team Sweeting.

Nobody predicted Earle Morris would leave Team Homan.

Nobody predicted Chelsea Carey would leave her successful Manitoba team and start competing in of all places - Valberta!

Nobody predicted Mike McEwen would suffer another Manitoba final mis-fire. Or did they?

actually i think a fair few people predicted that mcewen would lose another final

i feel like the siggestion rachel will drop jo anne is a knee jerk reaction to season, one event.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-15 07:28PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Both of them are championship calibre players. Anderson is a total freeze-master. Emma is technically better but as you say they're both hi-quality thirds. But when it comes to best thirds in women's curling Anderson is seldom in the conversation. Usually goes Lawes - Miskew or Miskew - Lawes but Anderson is in the next group for sure including the great Swedish 3rd, the great Swiss 3rd for Ott, and Anna Sloan of U.K.
Who's the best Canadian third after Lawes & Emma?

what great swedish third? you mean christina bertrup or eva lund?

i assume you mean bertrup since we are speaking of active players but you also speak of carmen schafer , who is retired.

02-20-15 07:35PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

The moment she drops Joanne is the moment her draw %drops to 40
She'd be wise to stay the course and work on herself and how she acts.

02-20-15 07:37PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i think people are being ridiculous by suggesting line up or coaching changes for them. there's been a lot of change for rachel since lkast season with the loss of a friend more like a sister and a coach. lets give it a while before we suggest change

UNFORTUNATELY tbough teams do not have the luxury of waiting awhile. CRTS points start counting next season for the 17 trials and this yr is almost done.

02-20-15 07:49PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Re: Jones vs. Sweeting (Part 2)

quote:

For Jones it marks the 10th time in 11 STOH trips that she will medal. Even if Jones barfs up her next 2 games (losing 1-2 and then losing semi-final) she'll end up with a medal.

Er no....there actually is a stupid Bronze medal game to win if JJ dumps her next two.

02-20-15 07:51PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:

I'm not suggesting she drop Jo - I'm simply raising the spectre!

As we know, Rachel is HIGHLY demanding of herself and of her teammates, but I'd be surprised if she dropped Courtney after this year. Anything's possible, but I think next year could be the acid test. Jo has big upside in what she can offer and I hope she works out with Rachel. A personality like hers is great for this team. Now it's time to make more damn shots..

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-20-15 07:52PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingGeek
Unfortunately I have been unable to find a volunteer in Moose Jaw for the weekend. If anyone is attending the games and wants to geek, please send me an email: geek@curlinggeek.com.

You need a laptop or iPad. Easy to do, fun, and you'll make a lot of people happy.

SEND a quick email to Rob dewhurst ,the event manager and see if he can find an event volunteer to help out.

02-20-15 07:52PM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by bpm
I think people here are being a bit tough on Rachel. Her front end have been pretty shaky the second half of this tournament, and have got them off to complicated starts. That, and it seems the team have been surprised in several games when the ice straightens out late, something they should have (and possibly may have) identified post game with their coach.

Rachel has always been a big time shot maker, and when the rest of the team is struggling, she tries to put it on her back rather than pick up her teammates. That's just who she is, and you can't blame her for it when it's served her so well over her career. But what they really miss an Alison Kreviazuk who was great at making clutch shots and lifting the team morale when the mood was a bit low. They'll get there with Joanne - you can see the progress in her relationship with the others on the team this week - but you can't replace the chemistry that the old rink built over 10+ years in one season. 10+ years!

They showed excellent progress in the game against Alberta, where they came back strong when Sweeting opened the door in the 5th, only to lose when Rachel again got fooled on how straight the ice was late on an up weight takeout on her first in the 10th. And today's comeback against NONT was pretty strong as well - it shows plenty of mental toughness. The good teams make you finish them off.

It brings to mind a certain other fiery competitor who used to start very slow in these tournaments and relied on hanging around and winning a lot of games on big shots/comebacks late - Jennifer Jones. She's won her fair share of Scotties in that manner (Angle raise vs. Hanna, comeback from 6-3 down after 6th vs. PEI, etc...) It's funny - seems like the skips we criticize most over the years are the ones doing all the winning.

Don't count the Homan team out - they could still make it three straight Scotties yet, and they may do it exactly the same way they just beat NONT.

I agree some people have been over critical of Homan, but I'm a big fan of their team and I have even been been critical of her play and decision making at times. I believe she lost Canada the game against Jones by having Miskew throw the draw instead of doing the double peel leaving Jones the runback double which she made perfect costing them what looked like the guaranteed game winning deuce. The game against Alberta again they were sitting pretty until skip stones and we all know how that ended. And of course last night against New Brunswick she kept saying the draw wasn't there then Robichaud makes it for the win. That's all on her.

But like you said the front end have been up and down as the ends aren't starting off as well at times as usual for them. But at the same time I feel like Miskew has played very well and set up Homan nicely for the most part that I've seen. Yet she's still somehow didn't make her shots. The 10th end in the Alberta game is a great example of that. And like I said before Homan has made quite a few questionable calls that have hurt her team and missing easier shots when we've all seen she can make difficult shots with ease time and time again, all of which is not like her at all. It doesn't even look like the same player or the same team for that matter that we are used to. The way they've lost their games have been out of character too. That's why I'm a bit critical.

I don't know if Homan just doesn't have a lot of confidence or if it's just an off week for team Canada. That happens to even the best of them. As a big fan of their team I'm more concerned seeing that than anything else. I know they've had problems with the ice but a team that great should be able to figure it out. Maybe they are still adjusting to playing without Kreviazuk and Morris there. I have no idea. But like you said you shouldn't count this team out we all know how amazing they can be. If they could play like they did in the last few ends against NO in the last game for a full 10 ends then I really believe they could make a playoff run. It would suck if they got knocked out early as they are a great team and so much fun to watch when they are on their game!

02-20-15 07:53PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by bennybeam
The moment she drops Joanne is the moment her draw %drops to 40

You mean like the last few years without Courtney?

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

02-20-15 08:02PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade

UNFORTUNATELY tbough teams do not have the luxury of waiting awhile. CRTS points start counting next season for the 17 trials and this yr is almost done.

i know that but its the first season together and , again people are forgetting that rachel basically lost her sister when ali k moved to sweden. i think this team will look more like were used to seeing next year

02-20-15 08:08PM
bennybeam is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bennybeam Click here to Send bennybeam a Private Message Find more posts by bennybeam Add bennybeam to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bennybeam
Harvey Hacksmasher

Joanne will be the scapegoat should things continue to go south. If Rachel was smart she'd have Courtney hit 90% of the time. Might be a boring game but the outcome would no doubt be favourable. They recruited her to assist in Rachel's game winning draws not to be an uber finesse shot maker. I'm sure Earle or Richard might have told her that by now if she'd listen

02-20-15 08:26PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

alberta is just completely unraveling right now. wouldnt be surprised to see them finish 9-5

02-20-15 08:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

right now saskatchewan probably has the best chance of beating manitoba in the final if jen goes on to win this.

canada - looks shaky , got lucky to beat northern ontario today. they could always get hot now and make a run through the playoffs sure but im not totally confident it will happen

alberta - unraveling . it started in the game against canada in the 2nd half , lucky for them canada want any better

saskatchewan has looked stronger in the back half of the week then at the start and stef has given jen plenty of trouble before. the question has always been mental with her but if she can hold it together she could do this. home ice..maybe this is the year she does it, the crowd may help her.

02-20-15 08:31PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Its tough but we all know historically Jones often lets her prey get back in the match.

Witness being up 6-3 on Amber Holland in a Canadian final only to piss things away in an extra end!

yeah but the difference is that amber and her team made shots. val and her team are just struggling everywhere right now

02-20-15 08:33PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Perfect start for AB. LUCKY shots for MB.

02-20-15 08:40PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:

Yes, Jill and Kaitlyn tend to lose focus a bit when nursing big leads!

jumping out infront like they have I don't expect Alberta skip to fold up like a cheap "Walmart tent" game is early and with 8 or more ends left to play. Sweeting is not TOAST YET?

02-20-15 09:05PM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
The Scott Moir/Kaitlyn Lawes rumours now confirmed!!!
SORRY TO SOUND LIKE gee I don't have a friggin clue what that means? please elaborate more ?

02-20-15 09:53PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

New thought: The women's game is actually developing a new level of understanding and execution of angle raises at variable speed. This is a very positive development for 'levelling the playing field'. I.e. In the never ending war between power and finesse.

02-20-15 10:21PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

OK all of you believers in "momentum"

Alberta were terrible in their last two round robin games. Manitoba topped the field at 10-1 and are on a roll. They just finished killing Alberta.

Manitoba scores 4 in the first end. They have HUGE MOMENTUM. You'd figure they'd coast home with all of their confidence and momentum.

What happened?

02-20-15 10:28PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

Really good sense of angles. Seriously impressed.

02-20-15 11:13PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
SORRY TO SOUND LIKE gee I don't have a friggin clue what that means? please elaborate more ?

The internet rumour has Scott Moir & Kaitlyn as dating

02-20-15 11:18PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

It got a little sketchy in the middle, but a generally well-played second half let Jones hang on to the lead. Val had a huge miss in 8 to gift-wrap Jen a deuce. Jill had a few uncharacteristic misses - she's been the top second all week, by a considerable margin - that put Manitoba rocks behind the tee-line while Alberta was on their little stealing streak.

Jen often says it's an advantage to play in the semi-final, but *only* if you win it! Sweeting will have a tough game ahead vs. either Lawton or Homan to try to stop the bleeding and avoid a 4th consecutive loss.

We've seen Jen win championships all kinds of ways - through the 1-2, through the tiebreaker, through the semi - so I don't think the day off tomorrow should faze them. After all, their dominating Olympic Trials victory came after a day off and facing a streaking Middaugh.

Gotta think Jill will have her minor issues figured out for the final. Advantage JJ vs. any upcoming opponent, but only a slight one. The hammer and choice of stones will come in handy vs. what is sure to be a very tough opponent, no matter who she faces.

02-21-15 05:01AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

It's pretty amazing the JJ has made it to 6 of the last 7 Scotties finals when she has been in the tournament (so not counting last year's Olympic hiatus).

Should be a riveting day tomorrow. Hometown favorites, but perennial 4th place, team SK versus the not-so-invincible-anymore Team Canada. And waiting in the semi-final is the AB squad who looked like the best team here until Thursday evening but has played 3 poor games (for their standards) in a row.

My predictions are SK > CAN, AB > SK. I'm interested to see how the 3vs4 game plays out. Everyone knows SK is defensive, but CAN doesn't love rocks in play like MB or AB do. I'm anticipating a low-scoring, fairly open affair which will allow SK to stick around until the end, ride the emotion of the crowd and squeak out the win.

02-21-15 05:06AM
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

The internet rumour has Scott Moir & Kaitlyn as dating

okay between all that curling, she's got the social aspect to go dating now..... HOW NICE bet the lucky fella either is a curler or never touched a rock? :

02-21-15 08:02AM
Claire Marie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Claire Marie Click here to Send Claire Marie a Private Message Find more posts by Claire Marie Add Claire Marie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Claire Marie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by sternwheeler
okay between all that curling, she's got the social aspect to go dating now..... HOW NICE bet the lucky fella either is a curler or never touched a rock? :

Definitely not a rumor. Scott was in the stands last night along with his mother. Kaitlyn was in Ilderton, Scot's hometown around Christmas, so this looks serious. I've been a Scott and Tessa fan ever since they came on the scene as juniors so I follow very closely. I think they make a cute couple, and he does curl.