M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Rule change for regular curling

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-05-16 06:07PM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Rule change for regular curling

I think timing 4 person curling the way mixed doubles curling is timed would make the 4 person game better. It would speed up the overall game. It would make the game more exciting as teams would have to make calls quickly, and maybe most significantly, it would prevent the very boring blanking the first 2 ends just to bank time. Worth a thought?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-06-16 01:26AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

1. Is the timing done by a member of the opposition?
2. Who supplies the stopwatches?

I'll toss out a couple of proposals if it's OK with the group:

3. Allow each player to have a set of 4 (or some other number, to be decided by the "Gods of Curling") brushes max per game (sort of like golf clubs). Each players' brushes must be identified so they can't be exchanged with other players on the team. Various heads could be on each broom, but no more than 4 broom/head combinations per game-they could even be painted in sponsors' colours. BUT, in exchange for more brooms,
4. Eliminate stopwatches-if we're treating brushes like golf clubs then the ice should be treated like the green. That would take care of Points 1 & 2.

Here's my other prediction:

If the "5 Guard Rule" becomes the "Law of the Land", we'll be talking about a "6 Guard Rule" within 2 years and a "7 Guard Rule" within 5 years. The world's top curlers will always be able to adopt to whatever rule in on the books and make it fit their game...that's why they're there and we're here.

04-06-16 02:51AM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

Re: Rule change for regular curling

quote:
Originally posted by Frozencanuck
I think timing 4 person curling the way mixed doubles curling is timed would make the 4 person game better. It would speed up the overall game. It would make the game more exciting as teams would have to make calls quickly, and maybe most significantly, it would prevent the very boring blanking the first 2 ends just to bank time. Worth a thought?

I haven't watched enough mixed doubles to understand your question. Could you please explain the difference between mixed doubles timing and four-vs-four timing?

Thanks.

04-06-16 10:36AM
Frozencanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frozencanuck Click here to Send Frozencanuck a Private Message Find more posts by Frozencanuck Add Frozencanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Mixed doubles uses a "shot clock" like football or basketball where there is a time limit on each individual shot. Regular curling uses an overall time limit so if a team has banked enough time, they can stand for 5 minutes disciussng a shot.

04-06-16 11:16AM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Mixed doubles uses a "shot clock" like football or basketball where there is a time limit on each individual shot. Regular curling uses an overall time limit so if a team has banked enough time, they can stand for 5 minutes disciussng a shot.

At the Continental Cup they did that.

However, for the national event, teams had a thinking time clock, like they do in 4-person curling. Teams get 22 minutes of thinking time.

04-06-16 11:33AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Teams have a certain amount of time in the game, once that is used up you are out of luck. No need to have everyone throwing at the same time or a shot rushed because you only get a certain amount of time to "think out a shot". If you want to watch something synchronized there are swimming and diving events made just for you.

04-06-16 12:03PM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Rule change for regular curling

quote:
u

But the shot clock idea has advantages that would make the game more exciting. "Exciting" is not a word used very often to describe a curling game.

04-06-16 12:21PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

"But the shot clock idea has advantages that would make the game more exciting. "Exciting" is not a word used very often to describe a curling game."

If by "exciting"you mean more rushed and missed shots then probably, as opposed to good well thought out shots and sound strategy within a certain defined time frame.

04-06-16 12:25PM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

No, I mean no blank ends to bank time, no standing for 5 minutes to discuss how to blank an end, and please, give the top notch curlers credit for being able to react quickly to game situations, and make sound strategic decisions. And don't forget they still have time outs.

04-06-16 01:56PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by BobbyS

At the Continental Cup There was a massive argument caused by the fact this is a horrible idea they tried anyhow .

Fixed that for you.

Seriously....the "Hey, let's steal an idea from Beach Volleyball" plan is, quite possibly, the worst idea to hit curling since banning drinking on the ice.

I was *at* that Continental Cup. It didn't make things more exciting. It made it so TV couldn't switch between games effectively (ie show highlights from one while another was in break), it made it so that on 85%+ of the shots, either the throwere was sitting in the hack waiting for the clock to *allow* them to throw or they were rushed because the shot was complex, oh...and it caused all of the games to get delayed by 20+ minutes because of a dispute.

Yeah...we gotta get us more of that...

04-06-16 02:56PM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

First of all individual games cab be times separately as they are now. Second, there is still time between ends to show other team highlights. Third, just remember a definition of perfection N sanity is doing the same thing and expects nag a different result. Unless curling changes, it will continue to slide in participants and viewers

04-06-16 02:58PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Except that it isn't doing either of those...

At least not in any countries not named "Canada".

participation in the US is way up. TV ratings are up (well...admittedly, its hard to not improve over zero). Interest is up.

04-06-16 04:40PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Except that it isn't doing either of those...

At least not in any countries not named "Canada".

participation in the US is way up. TV ratings are up (well...admittedly, its hard to not improve over zero). Interest is up.

I agree, record numbers of people are watching curling, especially on TV. That is probably a function of the number of events and therefore the availability. That being said people are consuming as much as they can essentially. I don't hear my buddies at the curling rink calling the games that they are watching boring, just the people on here. I had some friends go to a Jets vs. Wild game the other night that they called boring because of the way the Wild play the game, none of them came back calling for rule changes. You keep putting up these rule changes to govern the "Elite" level and you are only going to widen the gap between the "regular" curler and the "elite" curler. Think about yourself if you make it to or enter an event that is more "elite" than what your used to do you personally want to deal with an entirely different way to curl? I'm talking timing, 5 rock FGZ, no tick etc. Hard enough to deal with a higher level of competition without that factoring in. The widening gap between "regular" and "elite" curlers is something that has been lamented on CZ and other publications a fair bit and yet these conversations keep coming up. Don't get me wrong, the conversation is good however I would just as soon keep curling as a sport where my kids have a better chance to succeed and where any team can beat another any given day. I used to hate that baseball's rules changed as you grew older, whereas curling the rules have always been the same no matter what level. Blanking ends to bank time in my mind isn't common outside the first end and if "elite" curlers were so adapt at making snap decisions regarding strategy do you think they would still be standing around pondering the situation? You want to have a GSOC event where there is a basketball shot clock fine. Suggest we try it instead of making like the whole game is completely screwed up because someone blanked an end or contemplated a decision for a couple minutes.

Signed: Apparently I'm the 30 year old dude against all rule changes.

P.S. I've kind of come around to the 5 rock rule but no more after that!

04-06-16 05:11PM
JV_21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JV_21 Click here to Send JV_21 a Private Message Find more posts by JV_21 Add JV_21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JV_21
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was at the Continental Cup also, and I hated the shot clock. Following the action closely for all of the games was exceptionally difficult as everyone was throwing at the same time. Plus, what happened in the one mixed doubles game where they pulled a stone after one of the Japanese ladies made a fantastic shot never would have happened with thinking time. I'm all for experimentation (I think more should be done at tour/slam events) but the shot clock idea didn't work IMO.

04-06-16 05:38PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

One other thing I forgot to mention:

Right now the time clock is based on "X" number of minutes for the entire game. Once your clock expires, so do your shots and:

1. You lose-period or
2. Your opponent can "play out" the remainder of his/her/their rocks

If the time clock was based on "X" number of minutes per end with no carryover, that would eliminate the "Lose Game" factor and keep the offending team alive to play another end. Again, this would only be applicable in events that have sufficient officials to "work the clocks" and have the clocks displayed.

04-06-16 08:01PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Third, just remember a definition of perfection N sanity is doing the same thing and expects nag a different result.

I think what you were trying to type is the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again, and expecting different results. First off, this is not the definition of insanity. It's not even close. Secondly, before it comes up, Einstein never said it.

04-07-16 02:11AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Re: Re: Rule change for regular curling

quote:

But the shot clock idea has advantages that would make the game more exciting. "Exciting" is not a word used very often to describe a curling game.

No, it would not make the game "more exciting". It would simply make the game faster - and less cerebral.

Given that strategy is a significant ingredient in curling, and that strategy requires time to determine the various options available, and to choose one of these options to put into action, the introduction of a 'shot clock' would only - and obviously - serve to reduce the thinking and strategy of the game, thus rendering the game more fast and more 'stupid'.
While this idea might have some merit, given the current, and woefully unfortunate, popularity of 'reality shows', which base their entire formula on being fast and stupid, I, for one, am against the idea of bringing this to curling.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-07-16 11:34AM
Frozencanuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

I think what you were trying to type is the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again, and expecting different results. First off, this is not the definition of insanity. It's not even close. Secondly, before it comes up, Einstein never said it.

Apple's spell checker Whil bee thee dirth off me!