Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-09-16 05:11PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Papering Rocks

Our club "papered" our rocks for the first time this year. This is also known as texturing I believe (push rock running surface across sandpaper to get more curl out of them). We bought a jig, the proper sandpaper and some ice techs from a neighboring rink came to show us how to do it about two weeks into the season.
The technique they showed us was to place the handle at 10 o'clock push it across the sandpaper away from you and then pull it back, wipe off the rock and your done. We just did this again last night but placed the rock handle at 2 o'clock and repeated the same process (the local experts suggested that we change the angle). We used 80 grit sandpaper both times.

Does anyone else have experience doing this? What grit of sandpaper do you use? Out of the videos and information I have found on papering rocks it looks like there are at least 2 other techniques. One is to have the handle in the 12 o'clock position push and pull, then pick up rock and give it a 1/4 turn and repeat. The second method does the 12 o'clock push pull, then the 2 o'clock, then the 10 o'clock. This is obviously not the same as what the visiting techs showed us. What technique do you use?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. Like I said we just did them all again last night so I guess we will see how that works out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-09-16 05:47PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

We just did the 12, 2 and 10 push and pull. Guess it depends how much grit you want.

03-09-16 09:05PM
rbi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rbi Click here to Send rbi a Private Message Find more posts by rbi Add rbi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rbi
Hitting Paint

Did papering the stones help?

Did your curlers like the results?

Any concerns about affecting the lifespan of the stones?

03-09-16 10:52PM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

If your asking me about the results after the first time we did it I would say they were kind of mixed. We ended up with some mismatches, nothing crazy. when we did it the first time we didn't have the best setup for the jig and it made for some hopping when the stone was pushed across the paper so that may have caused some unevenness. We also installed jet ice a month after we did it so we had a couple different factors going on. We threw some rocks last night after we did it and there was definitely more curl, 4 feet on a draw to the button, especially for guys that have a soft release. We had a much better setup the second time around and it looked to be doing a good job. I haven't curled a game with them yet. Women's league was tonight and I curl tomorrow so depends on whether we win or lose how much I like it.... Wear and tear doesn't seem to be a concern, I'll post a couple links on the stuff I found, but one source suggested doing it every 4-6 weeks and another suggested doing it under the heading "extending the life of your stones".

03-09-16 11:03PM
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin
We just did the 12, 2 and 10 push and pull. Guess it depends how much grit you want.

Makes sense, that was the method that the Curl Canada material showed. If you could expand on what your thoughts on doing it were when you get a chance I would appreciate it. What grit sandpaper did you use? What kind of results did you get? Do you have filtered water (jet ice)?

03-09-16 11:12PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by propane_cooker

Makes sense, that was the method that the Curl Canada material showed. If you could expand on what your thoughts on doing it were when you get a chance I would appreciate it. What grit sandpaper did you use? What kind of results did you get? Do you have filtered water (jet ice)?

Prior to papering the rocks, we got 3 feet of curl and had 14.5 seconds ice. We are now getting 4 feet of curl and 14 seconds ice. 80 grit paper and we use Jet Ice. We paper the rocks once a year, prior to our biggest bonspiel. Biggest difference is the finish. I don't even mention it to the members, they just think I prepared the ice differently to get more curl. Even my most experienced curlers don't realize the rocks were papered.

Members with soft releases can get up to 6 feet of curl.

03-10-16 01:37AM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

I was taught the 12-2-10 push pull on 80 grit silicon carbide for blue hone inserted stones. Should put 4+ feet of curl on stones running on 24 second ice.

We vary doing this on the granite slab and felt to prevent running bands widening too much.

You can also put curl on the stones by rotating them one full turn on the paper but this won't last more than a few weeks. The push pull texturing will last 1/2 to a full season depending on your usage.

03-10-16 10:29AM
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks for the information guys. Thought I would include these links in the thread below. Some good information for people like me who don't know that much about it.

http://hawkscurlinghpc.ca/syndicate...cing-the-stone/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bnoRPCINc

You can fast forward the below video to 5:23 to see how they actually do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eZy5RULzKE

03-11-16 05:32PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
If your asking me about the results after the first time we did it I would say they were kind of mixed. We ended up with some mismatches, nothing crazy. when we did it the first time we didn't have the best setup for the jig and it made for some hopping when the stone was pushed across the paper so that may have caused some unevenness. We also installed jet ice a month after we did it so we had a couple different factors going on. We threw some rocks last night after we did it and there was definitely more curl, 4 feet on a draw to the button, especially for guys that have a soft release. We had a much better setup the second time around and it looked to be doing a good job. I haven't curled a game with them yet. Women's league was tonight and I curl tomorrow so depends on whether we win or lose how much I like it.... Wear and tear doesn't seem to be a concern, I'll post a couple links on the stuff I found, but one source suggested doing it every 4-6 weeks and another suggested doing it under the heading "extending the life of your stones".

It is VERY important to use EXACTLY the same technique for all rocks to avoid inconsistencies. That means one person using one technique for every rock. We had an incident a while back where two individuals did the rocks. Worse, the rocks were not divided up by sheets but by color. The result was that one color rocks curled a foot more than the other color.

If done correctly, freshly textured stones should be remarkably consistent for curl and speed if they were already well matched. Stones will diverge a bit in speed and curl over time as the wear. When textured again they will regain reasonably good match until the running bands start to diverge in width, then you will have to reprofile or rematch stones.

03-11-16 05:40PM
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
one source suggested doing it every 4-6 weeks and another suggested doing it under the heading "extending the life of your stones".

How often you texture stones depends on usage. Our frequency is dictated by how long it takes to lose a foot of curl. For us, that's about twice a year. Some clubs do it once a year. The ice tech who advised me does his stones 3-4 times a year. His advice to us was probably twice a year based on our membership and frequency of play and he was spot on.

03-14-16 02:18PM
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

The rocks had two games on them since we papered them the second time and were curling quite a bit last week when I went to practice on Thursday. I would say its about 4-5 feet for a draw and about 1 foot with normal hit weight which seems like a pretty satisfactory result. The speed was fine. I guess the only issue might be that soft releases are having some issues with rocks losing their turn.

I emailed Curling Canada with some of my questions and was pleasantly surprised when Jamie Bourassa replied very quickly. Might as well share that info with everyone.

"First off 80 grit sandpaper is the correct size. Not all 80 grit is equal. Some companies are more abrasive. I recommend either klingspor, Sait or norton.

As for method my go to method is 10 o'clock push, lift and place at 2 o'clock pull back. Never spin your rock as you then take off any scratches you have put on."

Thanks for your help RockDoc. You have some great information. We did the rocks sheet by sheet, and had the same guy do all of them. I think your guideline of twice a year is what we will do as well.