M: USA Curling Under-5 National Championship
Chaska, MN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 1:00pm CT
Mellin 11  8th
Meyer  Watch Live Curling!
Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-28-16 02:04AM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

To blank or not to blank

Should you blank the first end in a Grand Slam. Yes because you increase your odds of winning significantly. With everything else being equal you will have last rock on the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th ends. So 5 ends with last rock versus only 3 ends for your opponent and last rock on the key 6th and 8th ends. This translates into a huge difference in winning percentage.

According to Gerrys stats, this season McEwen has a record of 30 wins and only 4 losses with last rock on the 1st end i.e. an 88% winning record. When McEwen doesnt have last rock on the first end his record is 22 wins and 17 losses for an 56% winning record. Its mindboggling to see the impact of last rock on the 1st end: 88% versus 56% winning percentage.

Its a problem when such a talented team sees its odds of winning plummet just because of last rock on the first end. How do we correct this? A blank end rule: Last rock, use it or lose it.

With everything else being equal, a blank end rule would often mean last rock on the 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th ends for a team and last rock on the 2nd, 4th, 6th and 8th end for their opponent. Winning percentages with or without last rock would be closer with the more talented team winning most games anyway.

Some are concerned that with a blank end rule, the team without last rock would always try to force you to one by peeling you to death. It would have happened before the free guard zone in the 1980s but not today. Leads arent allowed to peel and good luck trying to tick a corner guard off without remaining as a corner guard yourself. A blank end rule would often mean corner guards with chances of scoring 2 or more. The team without last rock would probably put up a center guard in an attempt to steal.

Playing conditions have changed dramatically since the rules were first put in place. You didnt have blank ends playing on a frozen pond with unmatched stones or irons. Blank ends distort our sport. Time to get rid of them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-28-16 02:11PM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

McEwen's games are usually against other elite teams in major spiels or Slams. hard to find stats against weak teams and those stats wouldn't reflect reality.

02-28-16 02:38PM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

Re: To blank or not to blank

quote:
Originally posted by Marco2010
Blank ends distort our sport. Time to get rid of them.

Could not agree more, the question now is how ?

02-28-16 02:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: To blank or not to blank

quote:
Originally posted by Netz

Could not agree more, the question now is how ?

What about if the team with hammer does not score, they relinquish hammer. I think this would generate more offense as teams will try much harder to score 2 than to be literally forced to 1. This would have the team without hammer force the issue to make the other team take one and get the hammer back instead of just going through the motions of playing the hit hit hit game.

02-28-16 03:10PM
mgulseth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mgulseth Click here to Send mgulseth a Private Message Find more posts by mgulseth Add mgulseth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mgulseth
Harvey Hacksmasher

It might make for an interesting change of thinking- with an open house and on skips last throws you would be better off throwing it away, as it will guarantee getting the hammer back. A typical draw with that shot to force a hit and rollout might make the team with the hammer think about giving you 1 to keep the hammer for the next end

02-28-16 03:21PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: Re: Re: To blank or not to blank

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

What about if the team with hammer does not score, they relinquish hammer. I think this would generate more offense as teams will try much harder to score 2 than to be literally forced to 1. This would have the team without hammer force the issue to make the other team take one and get the hammer back instead of just going through the motions of playing the hit hit hit game.

Am curious why you think the team without hammer would choose to play aggressive when the hit hit hit game would suffice since the team with hammer would lose it if they blanked the end?

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-28-16 03:26PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont think we should get rid of the blank. blanking to have hammer into even ends, like it or not is strategy.you could limit the number of ends teams get to blank. each team can only blank 1 end a game or something.

02-28-16 03:51PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

This has been discussed here before multiple times, and I still don't see how it would create offence. I think it would lead to an even more boring game. If I play the first end without hammer, and I know I get hammer the next end if they blank or score, my first rock goes on the top four. There is zero incentive for me to throw a guard. Now if I have hammer, and the other team throws top four, I'm hitting it. If I don't hit it, and throw the corner, the team without hammer will guard. At that point I am chasing, and the other team has a rock on the 4 foot, while controlling the front of the house with their rock.

Let's suppose I throw a corner with my first one. The other team throws the centre guard. With hammer, I can either freeze to the top four, or I can draw around the corner. If I draw around the corner, the other team throws a freeze, another guard, or peels the corner (depending on FGZ). None of these help me with hammer to get two. For all of these reasons and scenarios, I hit the one on the top four with my first rock, and roll to the side. We exchange hits all end, and I hope to hit and stay with my last one, knowing I give up the hammer with a blank.

The good news is game would be over in about 75 minutes. It's one draw and 15 hits per end. You might see some offence in the last end, but many games will go to an extra. That's not something anyone wants to watch. You saw how boring the first ends were in this year's Scotties. Imagine an entire bonspiel of that.

02-28-16 04:05PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

If you cannot get TSN2 streaming, try this site.
http://cricfree.sx/tsn-2-live-stream

02-28-16 04:07PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: Re: Re: To blank or not to blank

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Am curious why you think the team without hammer would choose to play aggressive when the hit hit hit game would suffice since the team with hammer would lose it if they blanked the end?

I guess my thinking was if the hammer team was trying harder for 2 then the non hammer team will be playing against more rocks with a better chance to steal. Maybe not.

02-28-16 05:46PM
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Re: Re: Re: To blank or not to blank

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

With a blank end rule, I think the FGZ will make it very difficult for the team without last rock to hit hit hit and regularly force you to 1 point. Some sort of corner guard will remain in play in spite of tick shots.

02-28-16 06:52PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

There are two kinds of blanks.

1. The Interesting Blank. This one involves runbacks, rolls, doubles, triples, strategy, shotmaking, bailing out, etc.

2. The Cliched First End Blank. First rock in the house. 14 hits and sticks. One hit and roll out. Bank time, work out the nerves, read the ice, etc.

Blank number 1 is not a problem for the televised game.

Blank number 2 is, in my opinion. I certainly make no effort to watch the first end of any televised game.

I don't have a good solution.

Perhaps a special rule for the first rock of the game only. It may not be removed from play.

02-28-16 08:42PM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

Welcome to the showcase women's game of the year, in which the first 8 minutes is completely unwatchable!

02-29-16 11:33AM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by ngm
Welcome to the showcase women's game of the year, in which the first 8 minutes is completely unwatchable!

And the final 2.5 hours were some of the best ladies curling you will get to see....

Nine more ends of that may have made it un-watchable, but using the first end as a chance to get your feet under you for both teams hardly makes it un-watchable. Let's find out when you last played a game for a national championship? It's so easy to criticize the style of play when you're not involved in the game.

02-29-16 11:53AM
propane_cooker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for propane_cooker Click here to Send propane_cooker a Private Message Find more posts by propane_cooker Add propane_cooker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
propane_cooker
Harvey Hacksmasher

I don't see how you use a blank end rule to force offence. Previous posters have already explained better than I can how that won't work all that well. The 4 rock FGZ doesn't stimulate enough offence for you? I guess the next move is to the 5 rock FGZ, which I don't really care for. I have barely noticed the 5 rock FGZ in the Grand Slams and I was watching closely for a change. I don't think it made much of a difference really, there are still blank ends due in part to the skill of the players (double peels and runbacks). I would say the majority of blanks that occur outside of the first end were fairly exciting to watch. Why do people want to change the rules all the time? Why does the game have to be more "exciting"? Nobody is changing the rules to golf to make it more "exciting" are they? Keep messing around with the rules of game play and your going to end up with a confusing mess.

02-29-16 12:19PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by propane_cooker
I don't see how you use a blank end rule to force offence. Previous posters have already explained better than I can how that won't work all that well. The 4 rock FGZ doesn't stimulate enough offence for you? I guess the next move is to the 5 rock FGZ, which I don't really care for. I have barely noticed the 5 rock FGZ in the Grand Slams and I was watching closely for a change. I don't think it made much of a difference really, there are still blank ends due in part to the skill of the players (double peels and runbacks). I would say the majority of blanks that occur outside of the first end were fairly exciting to watch. Why do people want to change the rules all the time? Why does the game have to be more "exciting"? Nobody is changing the rules to golf to make it more "exciting" are they? Keep messing around with the rules of game play and your going to end up with a confusing mess.

While the 5-rock doesn't specifically increase offense, it does create more offensive play, which is the small change to the game that has seemed to be needed.

When great teams get a 2-3 point lead, they can just go into defense mode and play to run the game out. With only 1 corner guard for the hammer team, a good peel (run into the middle to make double) ends any opportunity to score more than 1 point.

You're right about not seeing it much, but it's because it's subtle. Used later in games and/or when teams are behind a few points. It doesn't overhaul how the game is played, but definitely pushes both teams to play an offensive game.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

02-29-16 12:45PM
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by FollowingAlong
Let's find out when you last played a game for a national championship? It's so easy to criticize the style of play when you're not involved in the game.

Let's find out when you've paid $$$ for a TV advertisement on a televised game for a national championship and you realize nobody is watching the first 15 minutes?

It's so easy to put up with dull play when you're not involved in paying for it to be broadcast.

02-29-16 12:45PM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by propane_cooker

The biggest thing the 5 rock FGZ rule gives you is 2 corners. The 4 rock FGZ isn't much different than the 3 rock. Let's suppose you are down, and have hammer. The opposing team throws their first one through (or top 4), and you put up one corner. The other team does one of a few things, and then you throw the other corner. If this were a 3 rock FGZ, those things would have all happened the same as it does in the current 4 rock FGZ. Hammer still wants 2 corners, and not hammer can't hit them yet.

The big difference in the 5 rock is what happens now. A good peeling team will just start ripping the guards, and make it very difficult for the hammer to get more than two in the 4 rock FGZ. In the 5 rock, those corners have to stay there (or be ticked). Ticking can create some problems, as the shooter likely stays in play. This creates options for both teams. Does the non hammer team go aggressive and play the guard? Do they dare throw three in a row through the house? Do they block the come around by going top 12? All of these should give the team with hammer the opportunity for a big end, not just in the last end, but in every end. There is also the risk that the team without hammer might set it up too well, and there is a steal.

In my opinion, I think curling should go to the 5 rock FGZ rule. I also think everyone should follow the WCF sweeping rules, where there must be a side to side motion. I'm all for using hair brooms and IcePads, but I'd rather sweepers weren't behind the rock.

02-29-16 12:48PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

The first few minutes of just about *any* "Final", regardless of sport, is generally about feeling out the opponent, making sure your equipment is up to snuff (and making adjustments if necessary), etc.

Curling isn't alone in this, and it's hardly a fatal flaw. Good announcers use that time to get the casual viewer up to speed, and into the game, as well as introduce the cast who will be providing the entertainment for the next 2+ hours.

It's not a problem that needs fixing.

02-29-16 05:40PM
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Squiggsy

The biggest thing the 5 rock FGZ rule gives you is 2 corners. The 4 rock FGZ isn't much different than the 3 rock. Let's suppose you are down, and have hammer. The opposing team throws their first one through (or top 4), and you put up one corner. The other team does one of a few things, and then you throw the other corner. If this were a 3 rock FGZ, those things would have all happened the same as it does in the current 4 rock FGZ. Hammer still wants 2 corners, and not hammer can't hit them yet.

The big difference in the 5 rock is what happens now. A good peeling team will just start ripping the guards, and make it very difficult for the hammer to get more than two in the 4 rock FGZ. In the 5 rock, those corners have to stay there (or be ticked). Ticking can create some problems, as the shooter likely stays in play. This creates options for both teams. Does the non hammer team go aggressive and play the guard? Do they dare throw three in a row through the house? Do they block the come around by going top 12? All of these should give the team with hammer the opportunity for a big end, not just in the last end, but in every end. There is also the risk that the team without hammer might set it up too well, and there is a steal.

In my opinion, I think curling should go to the 5 rock FGZ rule. I also think everyone should follow the WCF sweeping rules, where there must be a side to side motion. I'm all for using hair brooms and IcePads, but I'd rather sweepers weren't behind the rock.

3-4 and now 5 rock rules are an attempt to get guards in play. Directional sweeping is making tick shots easier and therefore limiting this attempt especially for teams without last rock. The easiest way of insuring 2 guards is a 2 guard rule. Both leads put up a guard on the four foot with their first stone. Simple, efficient.

02-29-16 06:41PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

If you start the game with the hammer and you blank the first end, you have the advantage of last rock on an even end. This is a well known tactic. The STOH final was only the most recent example.

And therefore, in my view, if you start the game without the hammer, you should know that your opponent will want to blank the first end. And your strategy should be tailored to prevent that from happening. Or at the very least, you shouldn't give them an easy opportunity to do that.

And therefore NO's decision to bring their first stone of the game into the rings has to be seen as a blunder. The first 8 minutes were what they were because Krista McCarville made a poor decision, and Chelsey Carey jumped all over it.

This is not a problem that needs a new rule to fix it. But I do wish that certain skips would smarten up about it.

And that's just my opinion, but you are welcome to share it.

02-29-16 07:28PM
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Par

If you start the game with the hammer and you blank the first end, you have the advantage of last rock on an even end. This is a well known tactic. The STOH final was only the most recent example.

And therefore, in my view, if you start the game without the hammer, you should know that your opponent will want to blank the first end. And your strategy should be tailored to prevent that from happening. Or at the very least, you shouldn't give them an easy opportunity to do that.

And therefore NO's decision to bring their first stone of the game into the rings has to be seen as a blunder. The first 8 minutes were what they were because Krista McCarville made a poor decision, and Chelsey Carey jumped all over it.

This is not a problem that needs a new rule to fix it. But I do wish that certain skips would smarten up about it.

And that's just my opinion, but you are welcome to share it.

I agree that under the present rules blanking the first end is sound strategy and a huge advantage. That is why I propose a blank end rule: last rock use it or lose it. In almost every other sport teams always try to score. What is wrong with us? Our rules are strange: In curling you try to blank with last rock while the team without last rock advantage has to try to force you to score. No wonder a powerfull team like McEwen wins 88% of his games when he has last rock on the first end but only 56% of his games when he doesn't start the game with last rock. Peeling, ticking, blanking have become easy for our elite teams. Time to put in a blank end rule

02-29-16 07:55PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

If it is that simple to blank the first end why wouldn't the other team simply blank the third end to get back on track after they hold the hammer team to one in the second. There is far too much emphasis on the even ends. Score when you can. I am pretty sure if Gerry does an analysis there will be few games where the hammer progresses alternatively with singels being scored or consistent deuces. Teams are just using the first end to settle nerves. The good men's teams are going for it from the start. If you think you are the better team (and most do) why limit the game to 9 ends?

02-29-16 08:11PM
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

Kevin Martin and Russ Howard often mention the importance of even ends. C. Carey blanked the first end and had last rock in the 8th and 10th ends of the Scotties final.