M: Dakota Challenger Spiel
W: Manitoba Scotties - West 2 Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - West 1 Regional
W: Manitoba Scotties - South Regional
M: Dumfries Challenger Series
M: BC Mens - North Playdown
W: Wheelchair Curling Baltic League: Stage 3
Default (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Red Deer Curling classic

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 5 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-19-18 07:25PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

News reports have Red Deer facility manager Wade Thurber saying, "‘OK, that’s enough of this gong show.’ The committee for the bonspiel collectively decided that we needed to remove them from the spiel for this year and what happens down the road, I’m not sure yet.”

I salute you, Mr. Thurber. A "Gong Show" indeed! Looking foward to what you and Red Deer do next.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-19-18 07:30PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

it is illegal to over serve

clearly the club knew that rule as they cut them off

if you listen to the commentators of the you tube tape of the next days kim game , at 11 min the guydescribes 40 bottles of beer on table - empties - 10 EACH - THEN THEY DID SHOOTERS

after 4 beer you are impaired ..

thats when they should have been refused service - the next ten rounds are illegal

the club is the main cause of this minor embarrassment

posters that dont like certain players and the slimey media get 20 yards for piling on and dragging it out

Pintys sponsors the bar at most events - i doubt that a minor incident like this will affect their sponsorship

lol -we are back having fun on here !! 3900 hits !!

Last edited by fresca on 11-19-18 at 07:32PM

11-19-18 07:36PM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

The club is the main cause of what happend? Take your head out of your ass. They're adults, they make their own decisions. They could have just went and purchased their own alcohol if the club didn't serve them. They probably would have become beligerent if they were cut off. I don't know what the rules are in Alberta, but most places won't cut you off unless you're becoming obnoxious or are driving. Anyhow, sure maybe the club holds a little responsiblity, but to say they're the main cause is assinine. People are in charge of their own decisions. The club wasn't cutting off any of the other teams...but somehow they didn't end up swearing, breaking brooms, kicking rocks, and messing with other teams equipment. Only one team did that.

11-19-18 08:12PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

clappy - read your post -

you sound like trump -

had they been cut off this would be a non event ---

" they would probably ..

' they cud have just went ...

and my head is up my ass - lol

what are you 6 years old

congrats to hartig team !! qa new generation - fun to watch these youngsters moving up - get rid of the non canadian teams in the slams !

Last edited by fresca on 11-19-18 at 08:15PM

11-19-18 08:27PM
Clappy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clappy Click here to Send Clappy a Private Message Find more posts by Clappy Add Clappy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

No, it would have been a non-event if they acted like professionals. There is no guarantee that it wouldn't have happend if they were cut off.

I even said the club could claim part of the responsibity...but ultimately you're in charge of yourself. Most people know how to drink repsonsibly without being babysat.

11-19-18 08:58PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

would you agree that the only criminal act was the overservfing by the club ?

btw in Canada it is illegal to over serve

11-19-18 09:08PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Exactly, no one will take blame for their own actions anymore.

To even come up with such a scenario.

There would never be bars making a profit anywhere if that happened and I did not read anywhere, where they were forced to drink.

It is pretty evident that Fry was probably enjoying a spiel that was not so competitive, along with the rest of the team. A kind of break for Fry.

Totally agree...

11-19-18 09:17PM
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
would you agree that the only criminal act was the overservfing by the club ?

btw in Canada it is illegal to over serve

I wasn't there, but if they did overserve them, then that would be a criminal act. But, desctruction of property is a criminal act too. Also in the US it is against the law to swear in front of children...at least in some state...maybe all of them. It's also against the law to be drunk and disorderly. So, no that would not have been the only illegal activity. But that wasn't what was being argued. It was putting all of the blame on the club.

11-19-18 09:18PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Sponsors

As a former sponsor of curling teams over the years I would be VERY interested how the sponsors of all 4 players are feeling right now. If it was me, I'd be thinking, why am I giving my hard earned money to the likes of these guys only to have it wasted on swill. Then to have them pasted all over the media world acting like drunken idiots, with my company logo being represented every time they step into a club or on the ice. Yes I fully understand guys like to let loose now and again but that was neither the time nor the place. It's hard enough as it is finding sponsors, the rest of the curling world doesn't need these guys ruining it for everyone else.

11-19-18 09:55PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

4 guys go into a bar.......
Ok I’ll finish.
They have had 4 beer elsewhere. They are served a beer in the new bar. They get belligerent and wreck things. Whose fault is it?

11-19-18 09:56PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca congrats to hartung team !! qa new generation - fun to watch these youngsters moving up - [/B]
Agree! Have watched them travel and curl with dad Jeff and without, Slicing through big names,steadily qualifying regularly. Glad to see them overtake Bottcher who feels kind of "entitled" but maybe that's just me. Go Hartung Go. #OhYeah

11-19-18 11:16PM
Curling1965 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling1965 Find more posts by Curling1965 Add Curling1965 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

Re: Sponsors

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
As a former sponsor of curling teams over the years I would be VERY interested how the sponsors of all 4 players are feeling right now. If it was me, I'd be thinking, why am I giving my hard earned money to the likes of these guys only to have it wasted on swill. Then to have them pasted all over the media world acting like drunken idiots, with my company logo being represented every time they step into a club or on the ice. Yes I fully understand guys like to let loose now and again but that was neither the time nor the place. It's hard enough as it is finding sponsors, the rest of the curling world doesn't need these guys ruining it for everyone else.

But they didn’t have any sponsors involved....

Fry I am sure was out there sparing for fun.

11-19-18 11:23PM
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

But he's associated with Team Jacobs sponsors. If he did that on his own free time completely away from the sport of curling, the sponsors will still take exception to his actions.

11-20-18 03:28AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

clapper - you should spend more time worrying about the lying buffoon criminal you elected president and less time posting about the losers that run the red deer curling club

if you get rid of him - ill get the club FINED OR shut down for over serving

- from the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission brochure -
I CANT SERVE YOU IF YOU APPEAR INTOXICATED.

the club should take responsibility for their mistake - and to the earlier poster that suggested that no bar would make a profit - then if thats the only way they are surviving they shud be shuttered

the world would be a far better place without booze , weed , gambling , and cigarettes

6500 hits so far - at 10,000 i will not post on this subject

11-20-18 04:36AM
Curling1965 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curling1965 Find more posts by Curling1965 Add Curling1965 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Clappy
But he's associated with Team Jacobs sponsors. If he did that on his own free time completely away from the sport of curling, the sponsors will still take exception to his actions.

This is getting too much to not speak up more ...

It's a shame how quick everyone is to judge, and how a few quotes in the media can twist a story and get blown up. Do you understand you're tarnishing other peoples lives with a mistake?

I was an onsite spectator at the event, and it was clear that the team was over-served at the rink. They sat at a table since the morning draw until right before the afternoon game. They had a collection of bottles at the table, and no one at the rink cut them off prior. Although they are grown men, it's important to point this out while the manager is saying the team showed up to the second game plastered.

I would like to point out the details of how the team acted, although not impressive, was also exaggerated. Fry was not aggressive, he was trying to be humorous. He jokingly popped a broom head off during the game, and the crowd even laughed in the beginning. They were loud, they were obnoxious, but they were never aggressive or "fighting".

There are also claims that they "destroyed" a change room when there were a couple small dents on a locker. This apparent hole in the wall was assuming - How many other athletes were in that change room that day?

Again, I don't think getting drunk was right here whatsoever. But some people are getting a taste of fame, and blowing this up more than what is is for a moment in the spotlight. The headlines are ruthless and the details twisted.

11-20-18 07:52AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Curling1965

This is getting too much to not speak up more ...

It's a shame how quick everyone is to judge, and how a few quotes in the media can twist a story and get blown up. Do you understand you're tarnishing other peoples lives with a mistake?

I was an onsite spectator at the event, and it was clear that the team was over-served at the rink. They sat at a table since the morning draw until right before the afternoon game. They had a collection of bottles at the table, and no one at the rink cut them off prior. Although they are grown men, it's important to point this out while the manager is saying the team showed up to the second game plastered.

I would like to point out the details of how the team acted, although not impressive, was also exaggerated. Fry was not aggressive, he was trying to be humorous. He jokingly popped a broom head off during the game, and the crowd even laughed in the beginning. They were loud, they were obnoxious, but they were never aggressive or "fighting".

There are also claims that they "destroyed" a change room when there were a couple small dents on a locker. This apparent hole in the wall was assuming - How many other athletes were in that change room that day?

Again, I don't think getting drunk was right here whatsoever. But some people are getting a taste of fame, and blowing this up more than what is is for a moment in the spotlight. The headlines are ruthless and the details twisted.

Agreed. It's rather ridiculous how this is reported; the boys apologized, Fry has offered to pay damages. I have even seen some news outlets (*cough*CBC*cough*) use KEVIN Koe's image, I assume, for clickbait.

11-20-18 09:36AM
Clappy
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
clapper - you should spend more time worrying about the lying buffoon criminal you elected president and less time posting about the losers that run the red deer curling club

if you get rid of him - ill get the club FINED OR shut down for over serving

You're a class act.

11-20-18 09:44AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Click here to Send On The Nose a Private Message Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Agreed. It's rather ridiculous how this is reported; the boys apologized, Fry has offered to pay damages. I have even seen some news outlets (*cough*CBC*cough*) use KEVIN Koe's image, I assume, for clickbait.

An apology might suffice if it were indeed BOYS who behaved this way. But it was grown men. 4 of them. Of course they're going to 'apologize' - they have no other viable option if they wish to lessen the damage to their reputations. But such 'apologies' will fool only the blind and/or biased.
Sorry, but any 'apology' rings very hollow, for there is no excusing such behaviour from grown adults.

As for who is responsible for the mess - the 4 players and the club/bar/bartender are equally responsible, of course. One cannot expect drunk people to act rationally and stop themselves. Therefore, the responsibility to stop them from drinking lies with the sober, clear thinking persons around them, and especially the person(s)/entity serving them the alcohol.
The club was right to kick them out, but was wrong to continue to serve them alcohol.

That said, of course the 4 players bear the responsibility of their actions, as they are grown adults.

"It is easy in the world to live after the worlds opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

11-20-18 10:28AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Only real question now for this bad 1-act play is what Jacobs & his sponsors do?

Most sponsorships are pre-paid prior to the season - with certain monies set aside in special travel and hotel accounts.

So the only recourse a sponsor could have (besides requesting return of monies provided which ain't gonna happen) is requesting the team turn in all apparel or merchandise with their logos on it - alternatively, covering up the logos - a sloppy 2nd solution.

Jacobs, in an non-Olympic year could also cut Fry from the team, thus maintaining his sponsors, find a quality replacement part (HELLO JOHN MORRIS) and take his Northern Ontario auto-berth to the Brier.

11-20-18 03:04PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

ML,

The sponsors - especially Curling Canada - will likely all update their player conduct contract clauses. It's not just about current sponsors but any who have their logo plastered in the past on a player who later pops up publically plastered.

There'll be another big set of meetings to change the conduct rules just like Broomgate.

Waiting for someone to come up with a snappy name for this boozy chapter in curling history.

11-20-18 04:15PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

How about Boozegate or Beergate?

11-20-18 04:31PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
ML,

The sponsors - especially Curling Canada - will likely all update their player conduct contract clauses. It's not just about current sponsors but any who have their logo plastered in the past on a player who later pops up publically plastered.

There'll be another big set of meetings to change the conduct rules just like Broomgate.

Waiting for someone to come up with a snappy name for this boozy chapter in curling history.

How's

RED DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS?

11-20-18 05:28PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

Theme song

Ma Ma Ma MY CORONAS

11-21-18 07:37AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Significant discipline from World Curling Tour unlikely.

https://canoe.com/curling/significa...c3-100ee4c83730

11-21-18 09:54AM
Curling1965
Knee-Slider

The damage of the media is done already with the club manager hitting the paper without a proper investigation. Shame.

“I’m not expecting any real significant discipline at this point based on what I’ve heard from other players and the club,” Geurts said.

“I’ve talked to the teams that were directly affected by these things and some of the stories out there are true and some of them are not.”

https://winnipegsun.com/curling/sig...obox=1542763629