Johnson Final
Holme (8)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Fri, Apr 26 -- 6:00pm PT
Serr/Tomp Final
Quin/Abre (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 15 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-20-15 08:20AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

You forgot to mention this to Russ Howard, he has been raving about this ice ever since the Tournament started.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-20-15 09:11AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Interesting comments about the ice. However, Homan has been struggling for most of the season, no wins except in skins. NB may have brought their game up too. I think if they had met TC on the opening weekend, it might have been a bit different!

NO is not to be sneezed at, even though some are scoffing at her victory over Jones at the DeKalb because JJ left early, the other 3 members of Team Jones aren't exactly knee-sliders either. NO could very well win their game this morning.

02-20-15 09:39AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Team Homan Future?

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Wonder if Homan bows out of the event (either to the fresh-faced Horgan or to Lawton) whether she is scouting to replace Joanne Courtney?

That would indicate that Courtney is the problem. And I don't think that's the case.

02-20-15 10:53AM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ObsessiveCurler

A draw Homan said wasn't there. Oops

I'm glad she made it just because I thought it was there all along. Tough, but there.

I think Richard Hart thought it was there too, but didn't want to mess with Homan's head space too much. The last thing a coach wants to do is step in and convince a player to play something they don't believe in.

02-20-15 10:56AM
NitDuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NitDuck Click here to Send NitDuck a Private Message Find more posts by NitDuck Add NitDuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NitDuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

What a Scotties we are having so far. Some incredible stories, crazy upsets and some great curling.

I recently published a new #TwineTime blog, offering up Mid-Scotties grades to the action we have seen so far.

I wanted to share it with everyone in this thread. You guys seem to have great opinions and generate great conversation. Take a read and please feel free to share what you think.

#TwineTime: The Red Grading Marker Is Out

Enjoy the closing draw this morning and, what should be, outstanding playoff action this weekend.

02-20-15 11:03AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

quote:
Wonder if Homan bows out of the event (either to the fresh-faced Horgan or to Lawton) whether she is scouting to replace Joanne Courtney?

Homan absolutely needs to panic unless she wants to follow in the footsteps of previous Team Canada failures. Let's look at this veritable hall of shame:

1987 Team Canada Marilyn Darte missed the playoffs. No person named Marilyn Darte has ever won another Scotties.

1991 Team Canada Alison Goring missed the playoffs. She accomplished nothing ever again aside from two more trips to the Scotties including a final.

1993 Team Canada Connie Laliberte missed the playoffs. Never heard from again by people who watched her win in 1995 with the TV muted.

On it goes.

Even losing a Scotties final can destroy an entire career. Jennifer Jones lost the 2013 final and didn't even appear at the 2014 Scotties and has been largely forgotten. She currently lives in a van down by the river.

So to complete this insightful analysis I believe Homan should replace everyone on her team, including herself, with clones who go by the same names, and recruit Zombie Ken Watson as coach, going for a 100% chap-and-lie approach to the game going forward.

02-20-15 11:04AM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

I've been enjoying reading your content on the TwineTIme blog - but having a very, very difficult time visually. The white text on black background makes it very dizzying and eye-straining to read. Any chance of a quick redesign?

02-20-15 11:14AM
NitDuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for NitDuck Click here to Send NitDuck a Private Message Find more posts by NitDuck Add NitDuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NitDuck
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
I've been enjoying reading your content on the TwineTIme blog - but having a very, very difficult time visually. The white text on black background makes it very dizzying and eye-straining to read. Any chance of a quick redesign?

Thank you for the kind words. Glad to hear people take the time to read the blog and enjoy it. Just one fan's perspective on the sport of course.

Hmmm, I never thought of that before. I will have to give it some serious consideration now and see what I can do. I don't have much experience in website design mind you but I do enjoy playing around and seeing what I can do. I'll give it some thought. Any suggestions as well are always appreciated.

Thanks

02-20-15 11:18AM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Call me crazy, but women's curling has made advances since the days of Laliberte, Darte (Bodogh), Goring and Jones (C)-although each of these fine ladies made great contributions, especially Marilyn & Colleen.

I really don't think that a Team Canada loss in the Scotties will bean that we never see Rachel again. In the unlikely event that Rachel's rink packs it in (and with an Olympic spot on the horizon that would be 3 years away) it will be more a result of young women becoming older women and changing life priorities.

Call me sexist if you insist, but...

02-20-15 11:43AM
Squiggsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Squiggsy Click here to Send Squiggsy a Private Message Find more posts by Squiggsy Add Squiggsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Squiggsy
Swing Artist

quote:

Did they give Courtney a long-term Olympic cycle commitment to move east?

or does Rachel bite her tongue and invite Earle Morris back into the fold as their coach?

As far as free agent curlers out there - I'd say the one big name that's emerged is Stephanie Schmidt, the late replacement 2nd for Stef Lawton. However, if Lawton can somehow muster up STOH GOLD, there's no way she lets Schmidt off her roster - even if she has to ask long-time 2nd and confidante Sherri Singler to retire (Singler is close to 40)

Also wonder if they can convince Schmidt to stay with the promise she'll replace Sherry Anderson (Anderson will be 55 for the Olympics) at 3rd.

Other free agent out there is Andrea Crawford but I'm sure Rachel & Emma have seen her curl. They won't pick up Andrea.

Bigger chance they'd pick up Dana Ferguson before Crawford and Dana ain't movin' nowhere!!!

The Richard Hart Coaching Experience has not worked out! Who would be potential coaches if Hart is replaced and Earle doesn't want to return to the fold?

Rachel doesn't need to bite her tongue. Earl isn't coaching them this year has nothing to do with friction between the two. He just didn't want to go through the grind this year. He's only coaching Johnny because that's his son and he has a bye to the Brier.

Once again you've gotten caught up in a fresh face. Schmidt has been excellent this week, but just because someone has a good week doesn't mean they are automatically the future. You said Van Osch would be winning BCs for years. I think she lost about 80% of her games this year.

Crawford's not a free agent. She left Sweeting because she was homesick after a week. Why would you even suggest Ferguson? That's such an asinine thing to type.

02-20-15 11:53AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

2 brilliant shots by tracy to save the end for northern ontario

02-20-15 12:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i wish vic would stop quoting numbers. i didnt mind when linda did it because she did it occasionally . vic does it multiple times in every game

02-20-15 12:09PM
krisblonski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for krisblonski Click here to Send krisblonski a Private Message Find more posts by krisblonski Add krisblonski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krisblonski
Knee-Slider

quote:

Did they give Courtney a long-term Olympic cycle commitment to move east?

or does Rachel bite her tongue and invite Earle Morris back into the fold as their coach?

As far as free agent curlers out there - I'd say the one big name that's emerged is Stephanie Schmidt, the late replacement 2nd for Stef Lawton. However, if Lawton can somehow muster up STOH GOLD, there's no way she lets Schmidt off her roster - even if she has to ask long-time 2nd and confidante Sherri Singler to retire (Singler is close to 40)

Also wonder if they can convince Schmidt to stay with the promise she'll replace Sherry Anderson (Anderson will be 55 for the Olympics) at 3rd.

Other free agent out there is Andrea Crawford but I'm sure Rachel & Emma have seen her curl. They won't pick up Andrea.

Bigger chance they'd pick up Dana Ferguson before Crawford and Dana ain't movin' nowhere!!!

The Richard Hart Coaching Experience has not worked out! Who would be potential coaches if Hart is replaced and Earle doesn't want to return to the fold?

Homan's team has finished 2nd or 3rd in 6 of 7 events listed on the CTRS results, as well as the Skins victory. I would say that's far from a horrifying blow-up-the-team season.

Courtney is a fine player who's playing with a new team for the first year. Let them all figure out the nuances of each other before jumping to conclusions.

Only thing I agree with you is that I don't believe that Richard Hart is the right fit for the team. Definitely comes across as a little aggressive during timeouts, but I don't honestly remember how Earle used to do it.

02-20-15 12:27PM
OverAndOut is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OverAndOut Click here to Send OverAndOut a Private Message Find more posts by OverAndOut Add OverAndOut to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OverAndOut
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by NitDuck
I recently published a new #TwineTime blog, offering up Mid-Scotties grades to the action we have seen so far.

I wanted to share it with everyone in this thread. You guys seem to have great opinions and generate great conversation. Take a read and please feel free to share what you think.

#TwineTime: The Red Grading Marker Is Out

Nice blog report. Insofar as the concept of relegation is concerned (... not its 2015 execution), there is no other way to be inclusive realistically. As a televised tournament from beginning to end, adding more teams adds too much time and waters down eyeballs ... that which makes the money to pay for the coverage. A 9-day televised event is a blessing for our sport. Weak teams are a viewership curse. Let's be happy that TV doesn't want more teams in a relegation pool. Furthermore, a relegation event is not a novel concept ... even for curling ie., European Championships. And as for the doomsday mongering that such tiering will kill interest, the European Championships are a case in point that such is not the long term reality.

02-20-15 12:27PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Earle..I have watched most televised games that they have played. The last walk he made on a time out that I remember - she commented on camera to her team that " I really don't need him, I just want to tell him what I'm going to do". When he got there he gave his views which differed from hers and she went ahead to do her thing. At that time I thought to myself that he is done, and she demonstrated a very young, arrogant attitude.

02-20-15 12:49PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well with massiv3 dose of luck team canada looks like they will make the playoffs

and dont give that whole you have to be good to be lucky crap.

02-20-15 01:00PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

NOnt booted this game - they had it in hand.

But, what's done is done. Would anyone be shocked if Homan went on to win the title on Sunday night?

02-20-15 01:02PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

ngm

Very, very funny stuff. Kudos.

02-20-15 01:10PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi
NOnt booted this game - they had it in hand.

But, what's done is done. Would anyone be shocked if Homan went on to win the title on Sunday night?

no, i wouldnt. but i personally hope they dont. i always like to see teams that havent won it before win it. so at this stage im pulling for alberta or saskatchewan

02-20-15 01:15PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Team Homan Future?

quote:
Originally posted by ngm

Even losing a Scotties final can destroy an entire career. Jennifer Jones lost the 2013 final and didn't even appear at the 2014 Scotties and has been largely forgotten. She currently lives in a van down by the river.

So to complete this insightful analysis I believe Homan should replace everyone on her team, including herself, with clones who go by the same names, and recruit Zombie Ken Watson as coach, going for a 100% chap-and-lie approach to the game going forward.

This is just too funny, but seriously people Rachel hasn't lost the Scotties yet. Are her chances great, probably not but you never know.

Even if she does lose 2 Scotties at 25, that's pretty impressive. She's young she's not going down just yet. And if she does maybe she can live with Jones.

02-20-15 01:16PM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
well with massiv3 dose of luck team canada looks like they will make the playoffs

and dont give that whole you have to be good to be lucky crap.

ok, they were lucky in the sense that they didn't play their best and won anyway, but they did deserve to win, no?

02-20-15 01:21PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

The ninth end for northern Ontario was a lesson in how not to call an end.Absolutely brutal

02-20-15 01:23PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

ok, they were lucky in the sense that they didn't play their best and won anyway, but they did deserve to win, no?

anyone who wins deserves it but wow did they get let off the hook there

02-20-15 01:23PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by sooner
The ninth end for northern Ontario was a lesson in how not to call an end.Absolutely brutal

I missed most of the 9th end (work beckoned), but I saw the final few rocks. I did not understand the last rock call - why wouldn't you just take your single and then try to hold Canada to a single in 10 and have hammer in the extra?

02-20-15 01:25PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Re: Team Homan Future?

quote:
Originally posted by mcgregorm89

This is just too funny, but seriously people Rachel hasn't lost the Scotties yet. Are her chances great, probably not but you never know.

The scary thing is that they have played quite poorly, but still managed to make the playoffs.