CAN (Flemming) Final
USA (Farbelow) (8)
SWE (Wranaa) 11  Final
GER (Kapp) (8)
M: European Curling Championships C-Division
Dumfries, SCO
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: W1 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 7:00pm GMT

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Tic Shot Is The New Peel

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-08-16 03:25AM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tic Shot Is The New Peel

The free guard zone was invented to counter the ability of teams to peel their opponents to death. We had the 3 rock rule, then the 4 rock rule and now the 5 rock rule in the SLAMS. It worked for a while but players are getting better and better at the tic shot. We will soon be back to square one with nowhere to hide for teams trying to steal a point. There is a solution: THE 2 GUARD RULE. Both leads have to place their first rock as a guard on the four foot. Simple and effective.
What do you think?

Last edited by Marco2010 on 02-08-16 at 05:13PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-08-16 08:15AM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

If I heard correctly yesterday (during either the Harris-Howard or Epping-Howard game, I can't recall which), it was stated that there is talk of a slightly modified FGZ rule wherein an opponent would not be able to touch or move a rock that is on or in contact with the centerline.

If this is true it would take away the tic shot when it comes to a CL guard, provided that said guard is placed well. Obviously if it's a bit off it's fair game for the tic.

Interesting concept.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-08-16 04:03PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

If they reinstated the old sweeping rules, the tick shot would no longer be almost-automatic, and they wouldn't need to add any new rules to protect stones on the centre line ...

but God forbid anyone should ever use common sense and admit that those rules were put in place for a good reason, or that they were repealed by mistake!

02-08-16 04:36PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

Re: Tic Shot Is The New Peel

quote:
Originally posted by Marco2010
The free guard zone was invented to counter the ability of teams to peel their opponents to death. We had the 3 rock rule, then the 4 rock rule and now the 5 rock rule in the SLAMS. It worked for a while but players are getting better and better at the tic shot. We will soon be back to square one with nowhere to hide for teams trying to steal a point. There is a solution: THE 2 GUARD RULE. Both leads have to place their first rock as a guard on the four foot. Simple and effective.
What do you think?

How about a simpler rule that says you simply cannot touch or move an opponent's guard in the FGZ until the first four rocks have been played? Then both the hammer and non-hammer team can establish guards as required. That removes the tick shot from play entirely, and increases the precision required to play the come-around game, lest you crash on the center guard.

Well played tick shots are simply devastating to the non-hammer team that is behind, giving them almost no chance at all if tied or down one in the last end. A steal percentage of 20% is bad enough, but with well-played ticks it's close to zero at the top level.

02-08-16 04:40PM
Par is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Par Click here to Send Par a Private Message Find more posts by Par Add Par to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Par
Swing Artist

Re: Re: Tic Shot Is The New Peel

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

A steal percentage ... with well-played ticks it's close to zero at the top level.

Some people would argue that this is as it should be. And I am one of them.

02-08-16 09:47PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

Nah. Let those who want to 'Wegal' , tick all day.

02-09-16 12:30AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Par
If they reinstated the old sweeping rules, the tick shot would no longer be almost-automatic, and they wouldn't need to add any new rules to protect stones on the centre line ...

but God forbid anyone should ever use common sense and admit that those rules were put in place for a good reason, or that they were repealed by mistake!

Which old sweeping rules are you referring to?

02-09-16 12:39AM
peteski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peteski Click here to Send peteski a Private Message Find more posts by peteski Add peteski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
What do you think?

I'm not sure if we need a rule change yet. The only situation that is really negatively affected by a lead's ability to make tick shots is in a final end, tie game situation. Admittedly, these ends lose a lot of their interest if the ticks are made.

I'm not a big fan of a rule saying where leads must place rock. If a change is made, one that might make sense is a one rock rule (or is it two?). Basically, if the first rock is in the free guard zone, it cannot be touched by the other team's first rock. After that you play a normal four (or five) rock rule end. It's relatively simple, but does keep things interesting.

02-09-16 08:44AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Tic Shot Is The New Peel

quote:
Originally posted by RockDoc

How about a simpler rule that says you simply cannot touch or move an opponent's guard in the FGZ until the first four rocks have been played? Then both the hammer and non-hammer team can establish guards as required. That removes the tick shot from play entirely, and increases the precision required to play the come-around game, lest you crash on the center guard.

Well played tick shots are simply devastating to the non-hammer team that is behind, giving them almost no chance at all if tied or down one in the last end. A steal percentage of 20% is bad enough, but with well-played ticks it's close to zero at the top level.

i think that would be a good idea. the rule would be that you simply cant not touch any opponents rocks that are guards until after the first 4 rocks are played. i mean..it makes the final end of a close game a formality if the ticks are played right and then its just no fun to watch for audiences.

02-09-16 09:19AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

To me, modify the rule like this. Draw what I believe to be are called courtesy lines on the ice. The ones that run lengthwise, parallel to the center line, 4 foot circle extended. If you have a rock inside those lines, you can hit it, but not move it out of the center line zone. If you have a rock outside of the lines, you can hit it, but not out of play, and not into the center line zone. And a guard cannot be hit into the house

Effectively, you can slightly move the rock to a less desirable position, but not completely eliminate it. I have 2 reasons for this. One, it eliminates people trying to come behind a guard who accidentally tick the guard (a bigger deal at club level than pro, but still a thing). Two, if makes a successful tick possible, but really really difficult. You are making the tick more like the nudge.

02-09-16 09:20AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Or one more alternative, if during the 4 rock period (or 5 rock I guess) if you throw a rock that hits a rock in the FGZ, if either the guard OR THE SHOOTER goes out of play, then the guard gets replaced while the shooter gets removed.

02-09-16 12:31PM
SooCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SooCurler Click here to Send SooCurler a Private Message Find more posts by SooCurler Add SooCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SooCurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

This may indeed need updating but when brooms are able to back up a rock 2-3 inches you don't even have to that good to make the shots. Ban the brooms and part of this problem goes away.

02-09-16 06:04PM
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by peteski

Which old sweeping rules are you referring to?

In ancient times there were very strict rules about sweeping, and the "directional sweeping" techniques that are now used to steer rocks were considered cheating.

It used to be that a brush stroke had to be perpendicular to the path of the stone, and had to cover the entire running surface of the stone, and so on... The tick shot was a lot tougher, and so were all the other soft-weight angle-taps: split-raises and so on.

If these shots were still very difficult, we wouldn't be talking about making rules against them. And these rule changes always penalize the stronger teams. It doesn't make any difference to the weaker teams because they can't make the same shots with the same consistency.

It's an old story. Whenever conditions improve and shot-making gets easier, it becomes easier to protect a lead, and then we have to make more rules -- and that's how we got the FGZ, and that's how we got the 4 rock rule, and so on ... always more changes to favor the weaker teams ... because otherwise the games get boring. Supposedly.

Personally I don't see the problem. If you're ahead and you have the hammer in 10 and you make a couple of ticks, you deserve to be in control of the game.

If I wanted to see every game hanging in the balance until the last rock, I would watch the effin skins game.

But my main point is: you wouldn't have to ban any equipment to solve this problem. Just make 'em sweep the whole running surface, perpendicular to the path of the rock, and finesse shots will once again require some finesse.

02-09-16 07:40PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Par

In ancient times there were very strict rules about sweeping, and the "directional sweeping" techniques that are now used to steer rocks were considered cheating.

It used to be that a brush stroke had to be perpendicular to the path of the stone, and had to cover the entire running surface of the stone, and so on... The tick shot was a lot tougher, and so were all the other soft-weight angle-taps: split-raises and so on.

If these shots were still very difficult, we wouldn't be talking about making rules against them. And these rule changes always penalize the stronger teams. It doesn't make any difference to the weaker teams because they can't make the same shots with the same consistency.

It's an old story. Whenever conditions improve and shot-making gets easier, it becomes easier to protect a lead, and then we have to make more rules -- and that's how we got the FGZ, and that's how we got the 4 rock rule, and so on ... always more changes to favor the weaker teams ... because otherwise the games get boring. Supposedly.

Personally I don't see the problem. If you're ahead and you have the hammer in 10 and you make a couple of ticks, you deserve to be in control of the game.

If I wanted to see every game hanging in the balance until the last rock, I would watch the effin skins game.

But my main point is: you wouldn't have to ban any equipment to solve this problem. Just make 'em sweep the whole running surface, perpendicular to the path of the rock, and finesse shots will once again require some finesse.

Agreed.

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

02-10-16 02:36AM
peteski
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Par

Don't the rules about perpendicular to the path and covering the running surface still exist?

The problem with sweeping technique rules, in my opinion, are that they are very difficult to enforce. Who makes the call on who is sweeping improperly? How do we know if someone is covering the entire running surface, for certain? Will we have to go to instant replay? What if you're sweeping at a 20 degree angle instead of perpendicular? I mean, is that cheating?

To avoid this issue, I'd much rather allow some aspect of directional sweeping and simply get the equipment in line so that they are not as effective as they are now at directing.

You make some fine points, but you would agree that the free guard zone has been a good thing for the game, would you not? As you say, this is sort of the same argument. If the game gets to the point where most teams are making the tick shot almost all the time, I feel like you have to make a rule change. If enforcing sweeping techniques or a ban on equipment means teams miss the tick more often, then that's good enough for me. I have a feeling a rule change may be inevitable.

02-10-16 09:58AM
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Don't the rules about perpendicular to the path and covering the running surface still exist?

The problem with sweeping technique rules, in my opinion, are that they are very difficult to enforce. Who makes the call on who is sweeping improperly? How do we know if someone is covering the entire running surface, for certain? Will we have to go to instant replay? What if you're sweeping at a 20 degree angle instead of perpendicular? I mean, is that cheating?

Those rules no longer exist, they were eliminated a few years ago. If they make a rule about directional sweeping, the easiest way to enforce it would be by a rule about foot placement. A few possibilities.

- You can not have a foot in the path where the rock has traveled (basically you cannot stand behind the rock and sweep)
- You can not have a foot on either side of the rock (basically you cannot stand directly over a rock)
- You cannot have two sweepers on one side and none on the other (so you cant have two people trying to manipulate the movement of a rock)
- You must have 1 foot the is in front of the rock while sweeping (this minimizes the angle that you can put onto the rock)

I could go on, but the point is that foot placement is much easier to enforce than broom movement.

02-10-16 11:14AM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
so if you cant tic - you are creating a situation where being one up after 9 you might as well shake hands because most times last rock will give 2 or 3 ..

I don't agree - I think the opposite is true; making the tics (turning center guards into corners) increases the odds of scoring 2 or more with last rock. If the tic is outlawed in some way, the team up 1 without hammer can get centerline guards up and force play to the center, increasing the odds of forcing a single or stealing.

02-10-16 11:57AM
Par
Swing Artist

quote:
... you would agree that the free guard zone has been a good thing for the game, would you not?

I don't expect you (or anyone else) to share my opinion, but: NO, I do not agree.

I loved curling 30 years ago, when everybody else was saying it was boring. Now I can barely watch it anymore. Sorry about that; but I liked the traditional game much better.

02-29-16 07:19AM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
What do you think?

I think the best team won the Scotties. Having said that I still wish that both teams had a fairly equal chance of scoring on the last end of the final. We all saw that the tick shot is the new peel. A 2 GUARD RULE would be an equaliser.

02-29-16 08:10AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

last night really made me hate the tick shot more than i already did. last night was a great match and it deserved a great finish. what it got was a 10th end that felt like just a formality.

02-29-16 10:11AM
Netz is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Netz Click here to Send Netz a Private Message Find more posts by Netz Add Netz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Netz
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
last night really made me hate the tick shot more than i already did. last night was a great match and it deserved a great finish. what it got was a 10th end that felt like just a formality.

Get use to it. With directional sweeping it is now all too easy, as teams get the chance to practice next year everyone will do it with perfection.

02-29-16 11:18AM
WrongHandle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WrongHandle Click here to Send WrongHandle a Private Message Find more posts by WrongHandle Add WrongHandle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WrongHandle
Harvey Hacksmasher

The tick shot needs to be regulated. It eliminated what could have been a brilliant finish to a great game last night.

A couple ideas:

If a rock is on the centre line then it should not be able to be moved off the centre line.

Or there could be lines on one or two feet either side of the centre line in the free guard zone and rocks that come to rest in that zone delimited by those lines cannot be moved outside those lines until you'd normally be allowed to hit (5th rock of the end in 4 rock rule). If rocks are removed from the zone then they are replaced and the shooter is removed as per normal free guard zone rules.

I like the second option. It still allows for some sort of tick shot but it needs to be very precise and even then the ticked rock is still somewhat useful.

I think this would make for many exciting finishes and probably more aggressive play earlier to try to avoid being tied in the last end knowing that you can't tick your way to victory.

02-29-16 11:22AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

I've been a holdout against being worried about the tick shot.

But I realize now after this week that when the team with hammer is tied or up in the score, I did not watch any of the 10th ends this week. I just went and did something else and checked the score later. When too many people do that, it's a problem.

My favoured solution of all suggested would be four foot lines. You can tick a rock, but further than two feet away from the centre line.

I'd like to see the slams experiment for a year or two with some of these things to see what the effects are.

02-29-16 12:13PM
Par
Swing Artist

Years ago, I played in a series of "fun-spiels" where each game used a different rule variation. In one of these games, there was a tire on the ice, at the house end, where the hog line meets the centre line. Any stone that hit the tire was out of play, and if the tire was moved, it had to be replaced.

It was meant to encourage a centre-guard draw game, but the ice was straight, and the tire came from a truck -- it was so big that nobody could draw the button. The only two ways to get to the pin were hit-and-roll or angle-raise.

This messed up everybody's strategy. We'd all been taught that having the hammer means you can afford to take chances, especially if you keep the path to the four-foot open, because if things don't work out, you can always draw for a single. But in this game, you could never get the four-foot open, and there wasn't even any point trying, so we had to think of something else.

The rule also reduced the value of last rock to almost zero, mostly (I suspect) because it created conditions that nobody could handle. Certainly the elite players would have had less trouble with it than we did. But even for them, it would still have taken a really good shot to get a stone near the button.

Even though it was frustrating, it was still a lot fun. We tend to forget that for most of its history, curling has been a sport where a really good shot was a rarity, not the expected thing.

And with this truck tire rule, we kind of accidentally re-discovered the past. We found out that making the game more difficult actually makes it better.

I'm not saying it would be a good idea to run championship curling games with a truck tire on the ice, but I think this experience argues in favour of a rule that would protect guards from being moved at all, at least early in the end.

02-29-16 12:24PM
RockDoc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RockDoc Click here to Send RockDoc a Private Message Find more posts by RockDoc Add RockDoc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RockDoc
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
so if you cant tic - you are creating a situation where being one up after 9 you might as well shake hands because most times last rock will give 2 or 3.

Actually the statistics say that up 1 without in the last end is better than even chance of winning, close to 60%. A deuce or better by the team with last rock is NOT automatic. (This is despite the fact that elite teams seem to psychologically prefer to have the last rock down 1 rather than up 1 without.)

Where it is surely important to tick well is when you are tied in the last end with hammer. Then I think your win expectancy is in the 80% range.

Cheers.