SUI (Rueetschi-Schlegel) Final
SCO (Kennedy) (7)
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Apr 27 -- 9:00am PT
Quin/Abre 9th
Pere/Cohe  Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-02-15 05:02PM
rtcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rtcurl Click here to Send rtcurl a Private Message Find more posts by rtcurl Add rtcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rtcurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Let's start the controversy... why is this rule in place?

WCF RULES...

C9. TEAM RANKING PROCEDURE / DRAW SHOT CHALLENGE

(c) When teams are tied for a play-off position, a maximum of one session of tie-breakers will be played to determine which team(s) advances to the play-offs. Team(s) can be eliminated, without playing an extra game, if more than one session of tie-breakers would be required.

QUESTION: Does the BRIER (CCA) do this??? Vic Rauter repeatedly commented on TSN on the CAN-ITA game about the possibility of teams who are guaranteed a tiebreaker if they get 6 wins. In other words, Vic is not aware of any CCA rules of only 1 tiebreaker. I don't see anything on CCA rules to that effect????

To add, the WCF schedule of games on their web site has 2 draws for tiebreakers??? Why???

It doesn't make sense.

Since we lost to both FIN and SUI in RR, I can accept, but c'mon let's get the rules uniform in the world.

Nice showing Shuster - Go USA!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-02-15 05:30PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Yes, the CCA does this for the Briar. Famously in the pre-qual this very year (three teams tied at 1-1 in the pre-qual, one team was eliminated on DSC results, by something like 1cm in total).

They did this to reduce uncertainty in scheduling. Enough of a reason? No, not IMO...but it's not my call. This way they know for sure that there will be one and only one TB draw (or zero)

04-02-15 05:45PM
Wyrm1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wyrm1 Click here to Send Wyrm1 a Private Message Find more posts by Wyrm1 Add Wyrm1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wyrm1
Knee-Slider

Playoff Odds....

Since 1 of Finland and Switz. losing gets us a playoff, and both losing gets us 4th place directly, we can have some "fun" by finding the odds of these things happening. Assuming independence of results for this exercise.

Via Pinny, Switz. has a 60.87% chance of winning and Finland a 58.51% chance.

So the chances that both win (again assuming independence) is 60.87% * 58.51% = 35.6%

The chance of a TB vs. Switz. is:
60.87% * 41.49% = 25.25%

The chance of a TB v. Finland is:
39.13% * 58.51% = 22.89%

And finally, the odds of a straight trip into 4th place (pretty amazing at 6-5).
39.13% * 41.49% = 16.23%

Well, sort of fun. I feel bad cheering against teams, but I'd really like to see the US have a shot at a medal.

(*Edit: wrote Sweden for Switzerland, but the odds are right)

Last edited by Wyrm1 on 04-02-15 at 05:48PM

04-02-15 06:03PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

To have teams play 11 games and then use DSC to break ties is ridiculous.
I think it would make much more sense to use head-to-head. If it ends with Finland, Swiss and USA in 3-way tie, then I think it would be much more fair that USA be eliminated because they lost to both teams.
In this case, I guess I am glad they are using the ridiculous DSC since it apparently will put USA into tiebreaker.
Maybe best case is for Swiss and/or Finland to lose tonight so there are no more than 2 teams tied.

04-02-15 06:09PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Unfortunately dbsdbs...

H2H is the first tiebreaker applied.

DSC is only used if H2H cannot adequately resolve the ties.

In any scenario that can still occur at this WC, H2H will solve the tie...to the US's detriment.

04-02-15 06:09PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

CurlingGeek will cover the ITA-FIN game, and provide updates on JPN-SUI as best we can.

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/148

04-02-15 06:10PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Steviewondering
MacDonald beat Murdoch fair and square back in their national championship. He earned the right to be at the worlds and Murdoch didn't. Would Murdoch really do well if he was skip right now? It's not his own team for one. He's played third most of the week and they've still lost most of their games. If Scotland keeps throwing Murdoch into the fold at every World level event then who replaces him when he retires?

Stevie, I'm not questioning how he got there. Team Canada started the Brier with John Morris throwing skip rocks-when they got off to a slow start they simply swapped positions and the rest (with the exception of the Norwegian game) is history. As for the argument about putting Murdoch in and hurting the development of young Scots, why didn't they bring one of those young up-and-coming Scots along as the 5th man and give him some game time?

I'm no curling coach but...

04-02-15 06:23PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
Unfortunately dbsdbs...

H2H is the first tiebreaker applied.

DSC is only used if H2H cannot adequately resolve the ties.

In any scenario that can still occur at this WC, H2H will solve the tie...to the US's detriment.

As disappointing as that would be, it makes tons more sense than using DSC.

04-02-15 06:32PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Italy v Finland is live now on CurlingGeek, with huge implications for the USA:

Trying to find a last minute volunteer to cover the JPN-SUI game too...no luck so far.

04-02-15 06:46PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Thanks for the coverage Geek. Another draw with no Cananda and no China means no streaming.

I'm surprised TSN didn't plan to cover something during the last session. Could you imagine how up in arms the Canadian fans would be if games that affected their playoff hopes weren't being broadcast.

04-02-15 08:39PM
Steviewondering is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steviewondering Click here to Send Steviewondering a Private Message Find more posts by Steviewondering Add Steviewondering to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steviewondering
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie

Stevie, I'm not questioning how he got there. Team Canada started the Brier with John Morris throwing skip rocks-when they got off to a slow start they simply swapped positions and the rest (with the exception of the Norwegian game) is history. As for the argument about putting Murdoch in and hurting the development of young Scots, why didn't they bring one of those young up-and-coming Scots along as the 5th man and give him some game time?

I'm no curling coach but...

My issue isn't with putting Murdoch in when Scotland is having a bad run, the team made the decision to bring him in and I respect that. My issue is with the thought process that he could salvage some dignity for the rest of the scottish team. I'm not going to predict that Murdoch is hurting Scottish curling in anyway. I do however do not like the fact that the RCC has got him on every team that represents Scotland or Great Britain even if it isn't his actual team (Brewsters old team....).

Maybe the Scots should be brining some juniors to the Worlds... It's worked out for Sweden with Oscar Eriksson... silver medal finish last year for those guys.

04-02-15 09:22PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

From 10th place in 2014 to at least 5th place in 2015 with no help from the HPP. Hmmmm... But of course the HPP will claim recognition somehow, probably by saying that because of the new standards, that forced non-HPP teams to up their game and blah blah blah. Riiiiiiight....

04-02-15 09:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

2 things

Watching many of the games live, the U.S. could very easily be 8-3. They outplayed and should have beaten Canada for sure, and with a couple shots either way may even be 9-2. With the tie breaker fiasco, never should a team be eliminated with an equal record. The worst thing you can do is base it the on draw to the button scores or who beat who...... as seen at the brier in pre-relegation. There's lots of ice time to do a tie break Friday if necessary.

04-02-15 09:26PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by IMWright
From 10th place in 2014 to at least 5th place in 2015 with no help from the HPP. Hmmmm... But of course the HPP will claim recognition somehow, probably by saying that because of the new standards, that forced non-HPP teams to up their game and blah blah blah. Riiiiiiight....

It shows that the points system can be overcome by not being funded and going and winning on the ice. It still will always come down to how well they play the games.

Good luck to Shuster tomorrow, hoping for a great result out of the guys!

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

04-02-15 09:33PM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

It shows that the points system can be overcome by not being funded and going and winning on the ice. It still will always come down to how well they play the games.

Good luck to Shuster tomorrow, hoping for a great result out of the guys!

Although they had to go above and beyond. So while this year it came down to the team that won moving on, that's not necessarily the case. If the HPP teams are so good, they don't need free rides. So I respectfully disagree that it will always come down to how well they play the games. It just happened like that this year.

04-02-15 10:06PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Stevie-I think that we're in agreement on the last point. When the skip is struggling, as was Ewan, there has to be at least the opportunity for him to take a game off-it was very sad to watch him struggling with shot after shot, even when the other members had set up an end. If somebody like Mouat or Menzies were given the opportunity to come in for one game, who knows what would have happened? They went into today's round with at ;east a glimmer of hope-although that glimmer died anyway. As I said, I have some Scottish blood in my veins and to see Scotland go through a week like this is the equivalent of Team Canada's hockey team missing the medal round at the Olympics-the thought should be trespass, as they say.

04-02-15 10:09PM
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

To get back to the US issue (the topic of this category is the American performance-well done Mr. Shuster...but you folks sure like to take the HARD WAY, doncha?

04-02-15 10:35PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

It's American...

WE could be all easy mode and coast through...but that's not our style...

04-02-15 10:44PM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

USA Curling is not in a position to win with style points... We have to grind, and grind, and grind, and that's exactly what Shuster & Co. have done. They've bounced back both within games and within the overall competition when it looked like they were falling flat and deserve a lot of credit for scraping their way into Friday when 3-5 usually means an early flight home.

They're one win away from a guaranteed medal game. I'm happy now, but I would be over the moon if they can beat Finland in the tiebreaker.

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes

04-03-15 01:02AM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

CurlingGeek will cover the USA-FIN tie-breaker at 2:30pm Halifax, 1:30pm Eastern tomorrow:

04-03-15 07:42AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Do we have any sort of confirmation if the TB game will be on either ESPN3 (as they hijack the TSN feed regularly), Youtube (WCF feed...kinda doubt this one as no Chinese team involvement), or UNiversal Sports/NBC Sports Network? (Come on NBC...it's a frickin World Championship Playoff game...you devote 300,000,000 hours to the Tour de France every June, you can break out 2 1/2 hours to actually televise a game that the US is in...really...)?

04-03-15 07:55AM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Confirmed that TSN has the game at 2:30pm Halifax time. Haven't been able to confirm ESPN3 or YouTube yet.

Last edited by CurlingGeek on 04-03-15 at 08:05AM

04-03-15 08:42AM
TakeItOut! is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TakeItOut! Click here to Send TakeItOut! a Private Message Visit TakeItOut!'s homepage! Find more posts by TakeItOut! Add TakeItOut! to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TakeItOut!
Hitting Paint

Tiebreaker should be on ESPN3 (Removed)

I see it as an upcoming game on the WatchESPN app.

NO LONGER THERE!!! GGGRRRR!

Last edited by TakeItOut! on 04-03-15 at 09:35AM

04-03-15 10:02AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: 2015 Men's Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
It would be nice to keep this thread positive and HPP-free

JHcurl
[/B]

IMWright, it would be nice if you could remember that just because the thread has made it to 5 pages of content doesn't mean the challenge made in Post #1 goes out the window. Get back with the program please!

04-03-15 10:06AM
Mr. Jordan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mr. Jordan Click here to Send Mr. Jordan a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Jordan Add Mr. Jordan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mr. Jordan
Harvey Hacksmasher

The game isn't listed on the WCTV YouTube, either.

Here's hoping it all gets sorted out one way or another. I'm planning on taking a lunch break at work during this game anyway (just a shame I can't step out for three hours!).

Around the kitchen with their socks on by a pack of timberwolves." --Dik Van Dykes