Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Eastern Time (ET)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Brier 2018

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-07-18 09:35PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think we can lower McEwen's odds to nearly 0%

Matt Wozniak - The Wizard of Woz just gave up on his team....

totally disgusted that Spike (McEwen) pulled string on his draw facing 3 Bottcher marbles - ends up barfing up a steal of two.

Bottcher just has to continue his rise of consistency and he'll clean up the McEwen mess tonite!

Surprised if Magic Mike wins another game this week - - - - - reminds me of 45 years ago when Dapper Danny Fink came out of the chute 4-0 for Manitoba - then ran into a front-end loader named Harvey Mazinke - Fink never won a game after that - went 4-7 and rarely curled after that event. Where was it? Also in Regina!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-08-18 10:13AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

One benefit of new format

For all the bad things about the new Brier format it seems to do one thing right. At this point of the week there are very few nothing games. All the leading teams play each other. Makes for a fine end to the round robin with someone like Bottcher leading but still having to play Laycock, Carruthers, Epping and Jacobs. Everyone else with a similar run in.

03-08-18 12:37PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Click here to Send guido a Private Message Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Drawmaster

There are still meaningless games that will be in the top eight.

03-08-18 05:35PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Team McEwen actually rebounding from losses; getting off the floor - has supreme control of Long John Epping after 8 ends . . . .

While Gushue returns to form and squashes Team Manitoba in 8 ends - Gushue outcurls Reid by over 20 pts - knew Goo would be in the mid 90s - didn't think Reid would fall to full crap mode, which he did in the low 70s.

03-08-18 05:39PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Top Manitoba player in this event actually plays for Sask'n - and they're putting their prairie farm boots to Young Bottcher, stunning the Albertans with a Big 3 off an in-off in the 8th.

Matty Dunstone, the portly youngster appears superior to either Reid or Magic Mike. . . . . he's a superb gamer.

Jamey Murphy on the verge of falling to the Sioux City Chain Gang, Jacobs!

TSN takes a bit of a risk, trotting out Cathy Gauthier and the green kid for an afternoon draw? Wonder if one of Cheryl, Russ or Victor is ill.

03-08-18 05:46PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

I quite like Cathy and Bryan. While Russ is good, when one listens to them 10-12 games in a few days, it can get old. And Cheryl, they should not have taken her away from her business.

03-08-18 06:01PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
I quite like Cathy and Bryan. While Russ is good, when one listens to them 10-12 games in a few days, it can get old. And Cheryl, they should not have taken her away from her business.

I'm not saying they're bad. Actually, they were quite refreshing today. . . . . Cathy is far more assertive than Cheryl - who always seems to wait for her cues from Russ. Obviously Bryan isn't at the level of Vic Rauter as a professional broadcaster (Vic is older than water, Bryan is fairly green) but he does a good workmanlike job in the 2 man crew situation . . . .

They might want to elevate Cathy Go to their #1 crew next season - she's clearly superior to Cheryl but Cheryl has more of a national profile. Next year they'll have a few retired girls to chose from - ie. Sherri Middaugh, Sherri Singler, Jill Officer, etc.

03-08-18 06:36PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Team McEwen actually rebounding from losses; getting off the floor - has supreme control of Long John Epping after 8 ends . . . .

While Gushue returns to form and squashes Team Manitoba in 8 ends - Gushue outcurls Reid by over 20 pts - knew Goo would be in the mid 90s - didn't think Reid would fall to full crap mode, which he did in the low 70s.

Uh yea, until Mike went deep on his draw, and let Ontario steal the win. Your earlier assessment was more accurate.

03-08-18 06:42PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Swing Artist

Wow, when a skip can't draw the 10 foot for a win, I won't expect to see him at the end of the week.

03-08-18 06:43PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Uh yea, until Mike went deep on his draw, and let Ontario steal the win. Your earlier assessment was more accurate.

Earlier assessment was spot on, right? Epping was failing miserably and yet Magic Mike let him off the hook (in spades). Well, at least Manitoba has 1 more win guaranteed - Reid plays Mike so that winner goes to 6 wins, the winner of that game prolly has a 55% chance of getting to 7 wins - still have to play Jamie!

Right now - Goo is the favourite for #1 seeding, watch out for Jacobs to slug things out with the hottest of Dunstone, Epping & Botcher for the #2 seed.
So right now an early final 4 preview:

Goo
Jacobs
Bottcher
Dunstone

I like John Epping - but I think beating Magic Mike was an anomaly, Magic Mike is really out of sorts. Epping should hit a wall of reality pretty soon when he has to play tougher foes.

03-08-18 06:53PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Biggest story developing in Brier City (Regina) is Roof-Raiser Matty Dunstone - fighting hard for his adopted province and raising the roof after a sluggish start to the event.

Win out and he'll make the playoffs. Could be the biggest threat to Goo & Team Tough Guys.....

Hopes and dreams of a million people (Saskatchewan) now reside with The Young Manitoba Gunslinger. Sask'n hasn't had a real threat for years. Last real homegrown winner were The Richardsons when dinosaurs and dodos still roamed the earth.
OK, I forgot about Folk - they were homegrown, too!
Randy Woytowich, a guy I whupped badly several times in Winnipeg also repped Sask'n but couldn't pound out a medal.
Matt Dunstone is clearly the biggest story now - Gushue a fairly distant 2nd. No other stories after that - unless you want to count Reid & Magic Mike taking turns at the pratfall concession!

03-08-18 08:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Biggest story developing in Brier City (Regina) is Roof-Raiser Matty Dunstone - fighting hard for his adopted province and raising the roof after a sluggish start to the event.

Win out and he'll make the playoffs. Could be the biggest threat to Goo & Team Tough Guys.....

Hopes and dreams of a million people (Saskatchewan) now reside with The Young Manitoba Gunslinger. Sask'n hasn't had a real threat for years. Last real homegrown winner were The Richardsons when dinosaurs and dodos still roamed the earth.
OK, I forgot about Folk - they were homegrown, too!
Randy Woytowich, a guy I whupped badly several times in Winnipeg also repped Sask'n but couldn't pound out a medal.
Matt Dunstone is clearly the biggest story now - Gushue a fairly distant 2nd. No other stories after that - unless you want to count Reid & Magic Mike taking turns at the pratfall concession!

i'm sorry but this is ridiculous. laycock has to run the table to make the playoffs. that's not likely to happen. but..then again you are one who loves to jump on those bandwagons so i guess im not surprised your now all excited about dunstone and hyping him to no tomorrow. biggest threat to gushue ..please

but what does epping need to do to get some credit from you. the guy gave jacobs all he could handle and defeated laycock(which your new favorite dunstone plays for), carruthers and mcewen(granted he got a little lucky on that one). he's got murphy, bottcher and gushue left.he really is only the underdog in one of those. i like his chances of finishing 9-2 or 8-3 at worst. he should be there at the end barring some sort of collapse where he loses his last 3.

he's more of a contender than laycock or bottcher.

03-08-18 08:42PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

This McEwen performance vs. Jacobs is tough to watch. I hope TSN gives up on it soon, with it being 7-0 after just two ends.

Really pulling for ON or AB, but I realize the winner is extremely likely to come from Jacobs/Gushue. Like a couple of posters above, I just don't see SK being good enough.

03-08-18 08:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by EPMD
This McEwen performance vs. Jacobs is tough to watch. I hope TSN gives up on it soon, with it being 7-0 after just two ends.

Really pulling for ON or AB, but I realize the winner is extremely likely to come from Jacobs/Gushue. Like a couple of posters above, I just don't see SK being good enough.

it's a scheduling issue. they finished that match past 5:00 and had less than 2 hours to move on from what should have been a win. a let down was expected, especially given the lack of time to digest it.

if they were gonna do only 2 draws today i don't see why they couldn't have spread them farther apart

03-08-18 09:09PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

McEwen coming off as a provincial embarrassment - a sad sack skip who's too pooped to pop. Team has abandoned him for all intents and purposes - allowing them to be eaten alive by the Jacobs gang.

That group won't be curling together next year. The Neufelds might try to form their own team - I think BJ is still salvageable - not a great curling mind but a great hitter (where have I heard that one before?)

McEwen might be able to cobble forward with some fresh juniors looking for a "proven" skip - although at this point McEwen is a "broken" man.

With McEwen broken, Reid faltering, Jamie not really a threat and the possibility of Epping going into slump there exists a strong possibility of a FINAL 4 featuring - Gushue, Jacobs, Bottcher & Dunstone

Dunstone might have to battle thru a tie-breaker if he doesn't win out - but that team is young and bullish enough to do that - especially if he only has to beat Reid, Epping or Jamie.

03-08-18 09:36PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Mike looks exhausted. No time between an loss that he should have won. No communication on the team.

I think you will see - McEwen skipping next year, with Carruthers at third.

03-08-18 10:02PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Roof-raiser Matty Dunstone still needs to topple Mighty Goo tonite in order to advance - and Goo knows Dunstone & Jacobs present his two greatest threats!

03-08-18 10:09PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Mike looks exhausted. No time between an loss that he should have won. No communication on the team.

I think you will see - McEwen skipping next year, with Carruthers at third.

I don't think Reid would let a broke-down guy like Mike skip him - he'd rather go back to Gunner, if anyone.

If Dunstone doesn't medal, mostly due to Laycock being a total choke act - I think he's the biggest free agent out there.

Imagine Dunstone skipping either of the Manitoba "super-teams".

Speculating but I think his best bet would be

Dunstone - skip
Moskowy - 3rd
Samagalski - 2nd
Deni Neufel - lead

Could easily substitute BJ Neufeld for Samagalski.

03-08-18 10:13PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

I think Reid will be with McEwen....

or McEwen will be playing with Reid.

kind of heard something about this......

Last edited by CURLER1 on 03-08-18 at 10:16PM

03-08-18 10:31PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
I think Reid will be with McEwen....

or McEwen will be playing with Reid.

kind of heard something about this......

Reid is more even-keeled - Mikey is an emotional basket-case - and right now he's a broken basket-case!

Can Reid restore his confidence? Why would Reid let Moskowy go - he's a proven 3rd, probably a better pure 3rd than even Reid.

Reid has a pretty good team right now - but if Moskowy leaves then he's in trouble.

Mike & Reid are pretty good friends now so I can't rule it out.....

Reid's problem is that he's not that dynamic a last rock shooter - ie. not in the same league as Koe, Gushue, Jacobs, even Dunstone!

He was broken pretty easily tonite by Alberta's young bucks!

03-09-18 12:01AM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

Sask needs a third that laycock choked big time lol.

03-09-18 03:16AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

too many posters on here appear to have more opinion than ability - or class

anyone who has ever played at a high level never uses the word choke or runs down a player or team over a bad shot or a couple of losses ..

quit posting like your a former champions - your anonymous -- doesnt mean you have to be classless..

they drag out this brier then give a team 2 hours between games - the whole system is designed to get multiple winners for tv

3 teams can still make the final 4 - the ones that dont , can easily win $100,000 in a slam next week

none of them should break up - no one posting on here could ever beat any of these teams - some of you wouldnt score in 100 end game

This brier topic should have 60,000 hits. - doubt that anyone needs to read the snarky stuff we get here

Last edited by fresca on 03-09-18 at 08:26AM

03-09-18 09:01AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

i want to apologize for dissing team Epping earlier in the Brier. He has indeed proved me wrong. Even if he doesn't win the event, he showed that he does belong here. Well done.

03-09-18 10:21AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

There has been quite a bit of criticism of Team McEwan. Mike is recovering from chicken pox. As a child this is not a big deal, but if you get it as an adult it is. Then there is only 2 hours between games yesterday. What was CC thinking? That isn't enough and there was time to delay the second game by an hour.

Not excusing Team McEwan for their poor play but just reminding of what could have factored into it.

Epping? He must have a horseshoe tucked away somewhere. But Team NS, needs to learn how to close - nearly lost to BC and lost a good game to ON>

03-09-18 10:56AM
Labrador is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Labrador Find more posts by Labrador Add Labrador to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Labrador
Knee-Slider

FYI Wozniak did not give up on the team. He was pissed that the rock pic’d for the steal.