Rose Final
Bliven (6) Watch Live Curling!
M: Mexican Mixed Doubles Championship
Vancouver, CAN
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 6 -- Sun, Apr 28 -- 9:30am PT
Pere/Cohe Final
Quin/Abre (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > brushing statement by Goldline

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-25-16 11:12AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

brushing statement by Goldline

This is interesting.

http://www.goldlinecurling.com/en/c...reational-clubs

What stood out for me was the sentence that states that the vast majority of recreational curlers would be ineffective using the new pads. In other words they might as well not sweep.

I wonder how this is going to affect the new pad sales for competitive/recreational curlers?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-25-16 03:26PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Actually, it reads like a statement from a manufacturer who's stuck with inventory that no one wants to buy.

10-25-16 04:30PM
averagecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for averagecurler Click here to Send averagecurler a Private Message Find more posts by averagecurler Add averagecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
averagecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Well, he's not wrong. In my experience most club curlers don't get that much weight on the broom, which is needed with this new fabric. I've played with the new fabric at an event that mandated it, and it wasn't that effective even for teams there for the money. They also get dirty incredibly quickly making them very cost ineffective.

Clubs should put as few restrictions as possible on their league players. Most of them aren't there to be super competitive on a Wednesday after work. They're there to have some fun with their fellow curlers. If a more effective head is going to last longer and help them to make a couple more shots than they would with an "approved" head, then let them do what's more cost effective, and fun, for them.

10-25-16 05:49PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Jamcan is right... sounds like a supplier is trying to move a bunch of broom heads that no one wants to buy.

My favourite paragraph:

"It must be recognized that the WCF certified pad is a very non aggressive product, designed to minimize the ability of elite sweepers to steer a rock. In the hands of the vast majority of recreational curlers it is virtually ineffective as a sweeping device. It can be argued that a recreational curler may as well not sweep as sweep with a WCF certified pad."

Well, isn't that just a bit insulting?

I know a lot of "recreational" leagues that are filled with some good curlers who can sweep damn well... not as good as the elite, but effective nonetheless. And there are a lot of less-than-elite curlers out there that are still curling competively and doing quite well at various levels.

Of course, the daytime ladies league, the Monday Beginners League or the Sunday afternoon social league may not be at that level, but you get the point.

And this I think was interesting too:

"The WCF has ruled that hair brooms are not permitted in play leading to WCF championships. The rational for this ruling is that hair brooms are too easily modified to achieve undesired effects. No ruling or recommendation exists vis a vis use of hair brooms in recreational play. Clubs may wish to adopt a rule whereby hair brooms are not permitted in select bonspiels and club playdowns."

I thought hair brooms were banned because they were even more effective than the other brooms in steering rocks with the lax sweeping mechanic rules? They weren't too easily modified... they were too easy to use to manipulate the rocks trajectory when you can sweep any way you choose?

So... which one was it? I'm calling a bit of baloney on this one.

Anyway, I think the right way to go about it have the individual leagues/events come up with their own equipment rules. The manufacturers and elite opened up this can of worms, now it looks like the law of unintended consequences is coming into effect.

And maybe Goldline can try to be just a little less insulting in their messaging. Sheesh.

10-25-16 07:49PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

I didn't get the impression that Goldline was insulting recreational players. If you look at the statement it probably is true that the vast majority of brushers in curling clubs aren't that effective. Yes, there are good brushers at any club, but, when you look at the numbers the vast majority would be relatively ineffective.

10-25-16 10:56PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

I'm going to set teh Over/Under for number of posts until Jamcan finds a way to turn this thread into one about sweeping technique not equipment at 4.5. And I'm going to take the under.

10-25-16 10:58PM
drturf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drturf Find more posts by drturf Add drturf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drturf
Knee-Slider

I find Goldlines Statement rather interesting and not totally factual. While "club" curlers are not as effective as our so called "pro" curlers however they are effective.

Goldline is stuck with a lot of inventory and is trying to convince everyone to buy theirs without a solid insert. If I remember correctly at the the Summit the test results showed the Norway to be the same as Hardline's head with the insert in terms of scoring the ice. I could stand corrected as there were so many heads and fabrics.

Listen, this is really simple. The WCF, along with the CCA has decided on a certain rule for officiated play that lead to world events. The club curlers can virtually do as they wish but I, for one, would disagree with any device that damages the ice.

Its going to be really interesting with the wear rate and how certain companies and "pro" curlers manipulate their heads physically during a game. I saw some evidence of that already in competition.

Its also interesting that the rule states that no ink on the fabric can be in contact with the ice surface whereas a couple of companies have stamped their names on the side and when a sweeper lays weight on it, the ink is on the ice and no doubt wearing off. If I were officiating at that game, that head would be not be legal.

So, the drama continues.

IMHO

10-25-16 11:37PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Have only watched this season video of the Mixed Worlds. Saw a couple of teams with just one sweeper sweeping. Is that happening this season also on the elite tour with the newly approved broomheads? Weren't the rule changes supposed to stop or discourage this bad-for-TV one-sweeper directional sweeping? Or maybe one-sweeper directional sweeping is good for TV and the game in general?

Any studies out there to show the impact on the stones' trajectory and distance with just pressure/heat v. scratch-theory directional abrasions?

Goldline is telliing me, a mixed league hack, now not to buy any of these new brooms. They are as useful as no broom for me they say! I guess this means for best results I should use my "illegal" 2015 Hardline and work harder on directional sweeping. And/or, perhaps for better results, use my metallic foil insert 2011 pad and keep it as dirty as possible for more abrasive effects!

10-26-16 12:08AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Alice
Have only watched this season video of the Mixed Worlds. Saw a couple of teams with just one sweeper sweeping. Is that happening this season also on the elite tour with the newly approved broomheads? Weren't the rule changes supposed to stop or discourage this bad-for-TV one-sweeper directional sweeping? Or maybe one-sweeper directional sweeping is good for TV and the game in general?

On certain types of shots there will never be two-sweepers in the game ever again. Even if they forced technique back to straight across it wouldn't change that.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

10-26-16 08:18AM
dks
Hitting Paint

My understanding of the Summit results was that the Norway pad compared to Hardline was considerably less effective when it came to scratching the ice. Remember how Muirhead felt the Norway pads were a disadvantage compared to other brushes?

I still think the manufacturers are planning to produce only WCF material brush pads for their entire line of their products. This year and next they have to try and balance the sales of existing inventory or face obsolete product.

10-26-16 09:28AM
CURLING NUTS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLING NUTS Click here to Send CURLING NUTS a Private Message Visit CURLING NUTS's homepage! Find more posts by CURLING NUTS Add CURLING NUTS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLING NUTS
Swing Artist

Standardize this debacle (broom head) and sweeping technique right across the board, or watch curling regress further. It's become a dog and pony show.
The future of Curling depends on viewership, and the vast majority of the non-curling public who curling depend on, don't understand this phenomena whatsoever.

10-26-16 12:32PM
averagecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for averagecurler Click here to Send averagecurler a Private Message Find more posts by averagecurler Add averagecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
averagecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I still think the manufacturers are planning to produce only WCF material brush pads for their entire line of their products. This year and next they have to try and balance the sales of existing inventory or face obsolete product.

The suppliers would love to go to only WCF approved heads. On average I get about 3 or 4 games out of a "legal" head before it's totally black and nowhere near as effective as a new one. And at $25-$30 per head these suppliers are going to be recording record profits in the coming years if they discontinue production of any and all illegal heads.

I'm not sure they will though. There will still be a market for the illegal heads at the club level so long as league chairs don't ban them. Just think, if you go to any beer league softball/baseball game and you'll still see plenty of aluminum bats out there.

10-26-16 02:14PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

I think that this message has no evil intended message trying to get people to buy old stock. I will try to explain. While the handful of us on this thread are really into curling and the fine details, many people in the club just enjoy curling and don’t care. Sure they may have noticed while watching curling last season that there was only 1 sweeper and wondered why, but they didn’t really give it too much thought.

To me, this message is intended for the curlers like these. It is to let them know that they may not want to buy the high end equipment. As an example, I play tennis, but haven’t bought a new racket for probably 7 years or longer. The other day I decided that I wanted to get a new racket, but since I was so far removed from the racket technology game, I basically looked up what rackets were used by a handful of top pros, and then started my shopping from that point. I assumed that if a racket was good enough for Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal, it would be good enough for me. Anyway, I found about 5 models used by pros, and started my comparison shopping there. To me this is a very sound purchasing logic for sports equipment. However, if I had done this with curling, I would actually be buying a product that was compliant with elite rules, but actually performed worse. So to me, this GL statement has no nefarious intent, it is intended to just inform customers who are not super in to curling. What are they informing them of. Basically tell them, look these replacement heads that are tour approved might be the most expensive, and you may think that is what you really want, but unless you really need them, you would probably be better off buying the older style ones.

10-26-16 03:23PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
I'm going to set teh Over/Under for number of posts until Jamcan finds a way to turn this thread into one about sweeping technique not equipment at 4.5. And I'm going to take the under.

Looks like you picked the wrong horse.

10-26-16 03:27PM
PeterDTown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PeterDTown Click here to Send PeterDTown a Private Message Visit PeterDTown's homepage! Find more posts by PeterDTown Add PeterDTown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeterDTown
Knee-Slider

I work at Goldline and helped to publish that notice. I appreciate the support from those of you who have correctly interpreted our intent, and I apologize on behalf of Goldline to anyone who felt insulted. That was definitely not what we intended to do.

A number of you are correct in identifying the fact that we simply want to provide guidance to the huge number of recreational curlers for whom this entire controversy is a non issue. It would be really unfortunate if a club decided to ban everything but WCF approved product forcing novice curlers to use equipment that is more expensive, not designed for them and will ultimately hurt their game.

For those of you who are proficient enough to be able to directionally sweep with something like a Norway, then by all means please do what is in keeping with the spirit of the game and use WCF certified products.

I'm around if you guys have any questions!

10-27-16 01:21AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

To me, this message is intended for the curlers like these. It is to let them know that they may not want to buy the high end equipment. As an example, I play tennis, but haven’t bought a new racket for probably 7 years or longer. The other day I decided that I wanted to get a new racket, but since I was so far removed from the racket technology game, I basically looked up what rackets were used by a handful of top pros, and then started my shopping from that point. I assumed that if a racket was good enough for Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal, it would be good enough for me. Anyway, I found about 5 models used by pros, and started my comparison shopping there. To me this is a very sound purchasing logic for sports equipment.

Actually, buying something just because a pro claims to use it is not "sound purchasing logic for sports equipment" at all - what it is is just buying into the marketing BS that the equipment companies want you to believe.
But the fact is that the racquets that Federer, Nadal, and 95% of other pros use is nothing like the one on the store shelves. Pro tennis players use very unique racquets, usually custom made, and often based on models that are several years old. Their racquet company sponsor then paints the racquets they use to look like a model of theirs which is currently being sold in stores.
This has been happening ever since the graphite era of racquets came into being - and was even occurring occasionally before that with wood racquets.

The racquet companies would have you believe that pros change their racquets every 2 or 3 years - but nothing could be further from the truth.
Racquet models change every 2 years or so - each generation of racquet promising "more power and control" than the previous generation. Of course, this is just marketing BS (if it were even half true that every generation offered more power and control, we'd all be able to hit a dime on the other side of the net and put the ball through the chain link fence by now).
Pro players don't start playing with a new racquet every few years. They are very particular about their equipment, and don't often change. They get accustomed to a specific racquet - usually custom made, with a very specific flex, balance point, weight, etc., and they stick with those racquet ingredients - often for their entire careers.

The racquet companies very deliberately deceive the general public by claiming that their sponsored pro players use X model of racquet when in truth, the pros are using a customized racquet which is merely painted to appear like whatever their current models are. It's blatant false advertizing, as the real racquet that the pro is using underneath the paint bears little resemblance (in terms of materials, flex, weight, and balance) to the racquet that is on store shelves.

Further, every player is different. A racquet that feels comfortable for me may feel horrible to you - and vice versa. Therefore, even if the pro players did play with the racquets that the racquet companies claim they play with (which they certainly don't in 95% of cases), why would you want to buy a racquet that is made for Federer's or Nadal's comfort?
The ONLY way to find the racquet that is right for YOU is to play test as many models as you can. Buying a racquet just because 'pro player X' is claimed to play with it is most certainly not an efficient manner in which to buy a racquet.
The same goes for buying any other sports equipment, of course - buy something which is comfortable and efficient for YOU, not something which is marketed as being preferred by your pro hero.

I've been playing tennis for over 35 years... and I string racquets - so I do know what I'm talking about in this area. 'Paint job' racquets has long been a well known phenomenon to those of us who play and follow tennis closely. If you still don't believe me, just do a google search for "tennis racquets" "paint job" "pros".

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 10-27-16 at 01:42AM

10-27-16 01:31AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by PeterDTown
I work at Goldline and helped to publish that notice. I appreciate the support from those of you who have correctly interpreted our intent, and I apologize on behalf of Goldline to anyone who felt insulted. That was definitely not what we intended to do.

A number of you are correct in identifying the fact that we simply want to provide guidance to the huge number of recreational curlers for whom this entire controversy is a non issue. It would be really unfortunate if a club decided to ban everything but WCF approved product forcing novice curlers to use equipment that is more expensive, not designed for them and will ultimately hurt their game.

For those of you who are proficient enough to be able to directionally sweep with something like a Norway, then by all means please do what is in keeping with the spirit of the game and use WCF certified products.

I'm around if you guys have any questions!

Ok... since you invited questions, here is a rather basic one which has been the theme of a few posts in this thread...

Beyond the stock you currently hold, does Goldline plan on continuing to sell brush heads which are not WCF approved/certified?
That is, will Goldline be selling brush heads other than the ones which are WCF approved/certified over the course of, say, the next 5 curling seasons?

Please answer honestly and clearly - with a 'yes', a 'no', or a 'perhaps' - with an explanation attached to the 'perhaps'.

Thanks

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 10-27-16 at 01:34AM

10-27-16 11:59AM
PeterDTown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PeterDTown Click here to Send PeterDTown a Private Message Visit PeterDTown's homepage! Find more posts by PeterDTown Add PeterDTown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeterDTown
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Ok... since you invited questions, here is a rather basic one which has been the theme of a few posts in this thread...

Beyond the stock you currently hold, does Goldline plan on continuing to sell brush heads which are not WCF approved/certified?
That is, will Goldline be selling brush heads other than the ones which are WCF approved/certified over the course of, say, the next 5 curling seasons?

Please answer honestly and clearly - with a 'yes', a 'no', or a 'perhaps' - with an explanation attached to the 'perhaps'.

Thanks

You know, that is really a fantastic question and I really wish I had a crystal ball and I could answer it very clearly for you. Since it is literally impossible give a straight yes/no at this point in time what I'll do is give you some insight into the factors at play in making that decision.

First of all you should know that our guiding principle in all of this is trying to do what is within the spirit of the new regulations. More specifically, we agree with the idea that the result of sweeping should be to make the rock go straighter and further, and any other guiding of the rock is undesirable.

Other points of consideration:

• Per our release we do not believe that the compliant pads are necessarily ideal for novice curlers
  • Notwithstanding the above point, we recognize that many club managers and event organizers are already gravitating towards mandating use of WCF certified pads regardless of not only our recommendation but also alternatives that may present themselves (see below).
  • We also understand that in all sports there is a strong tendency for recreational players to want to use what the top players are using, regardless of any other factors.
  • The WCF approval process for new technology is already delaying new innovative products from gaining certification. These products are built to the new specs but aren't yet approved. Should they be allowed in the recreational market? Should all manufacturers halt production until the WCF is able to provide approval?
  • The WCF specification is extremely narrow, mandating not only a specific fabric, but a specific fabric from a specific distributor (not a specific manufacturer), in a specific colour, and tracked and approved in such a way that drives up costs and significantly delays production.
  • We are already making products that comply with all elements of the spec with the exception of the fabric. The only difference with the fabric is that we have sourced it independently and we are providing it in a variety of colours. It has been evaluated and tested and shown to perform in an identical fashion to the certified material, but it is more readily available, more pleasing to the consumer market and less expensive. Additionally, our ultimate hope with such a product would be to provide real world usage data to the WCF with the intention of working towards an expanded specification. Incidentally, the WCF fully supports and encourages this approach. Should we abandon such efforts and focus only on supplying "certified products?"

I could go on, but I hope that this is enough to at least give a glimpse into the challenges we are facing. We want to innovate and provide new products. We want to do so while working within the guiding principles outlined by the WCF and in keeping with the spirit of the game. We also recognize that it is early days and we don't know what the market is going to want.

At the end of the day, Goldline is in the business of supplying curling supplies that people want to use. Whether that means Norway pads (probably not), WCF pads (this seems too restrictive) or something in between (most likely) is ultimately going to be dictated by curlers. No matter what happens we will continue to make great products that curlers of all levels will be happy to use.

I hope that provides you with a satisfactory answer to your question.

10-27-16 04:04PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Excellent response from Goldline, it is good to hear the Norway as is will probably go away soon for a longer lasting, version of a acceptable fabric that does not damage the ice.

It would be great to have Hardline and Balance Plus give us as equally upfront state of the union on their current status.

10-27-16 08:53PM
dks
Hitting Paint

I see Goldline is advertising their new Air brushes. I haven't noticed any sponsored teams using the new heads. Are they approved and if so, why aren't teams using them?

10-27-16 11:02PM
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by PeterDTown

You know, that is really a fantastic question and I really wish I had a crystal ball and I could answer it very clearly for you. Since it is literally impossible give a straight yes/no at this point in time what I'll do is give you some insight into the factors at play in making that decision.

First of all you should know that our guiding principle in all of this is trying to do what is within the spirit of the new regulations. More specifically, we agree with the idea that the result of sweeping should be to make the rock go straighter and further, and any other guiding of the rock is undesirable.

Other points of consideration:

• Per our release we do not believe that the compliant pads are necessarily ideal for novice curlers
  • Notwithstanding the above point, we recognize that many club managers and event organizers are already gravitating towards mandating use of WCF certified pads regardless of not only our recommendation but also alternatives that may present themselves (see below).
  • We also understand that in all sports there is a strong tendency for recreational players to want to use what the top players are using, regardless of any other factors.
  • The WCF approval process for new technology is already delaying new innovative products from gaining certification. These products are built to the new specs but aren't yet approved. Should they be allowed in the recreational market? Should all manufacturers halt production until the WCF is able to provide approval?
  • The WCF specification is extremely narrow, mandating not only a specific fabric, but a specific fabric from a specific distributor (not a specific manufacturer), in a specific colour, and tracked and approved in such a way that drives up costs and significantly delays production.
  • We are already making products that comply with all elements of the spec with the exception of the fabric. The only difference with the fabric is that we have sourced it independently and we are providing it in a variety of colours. It has been evaluated and tested and shown to perform in an identical fashion to the certified material, but it is more readily available, more pleasing to the consumer market and less expensive. Additionally, our ultimate hope with such a product would be to provide real world usage data to the WCF with the intention of working towards an expanded specification. Incidentally, the WCF fully supports and encourages this approach. Should we abandon such efforts and focus only on supplying "certified products?"

I could go on, but I hope that this is enough to at least give a glimpse into the challenges we are facing. We want to innovate and provide new products. We want to do so while working within the guiding principles outlined by the WCF and in keeping with the spirit of the game. We also recognize that it is early days and we don't know what the market is going to want.

At the end of the day, Goldline is in the business of supplying curling supplies that people want to use. Whether that means Norway pads (probably not), WCF pads (this seems too restrictive) or something in between (most likely) is ultimately going to be dictated by curlers. No matter what happens we will continue to make great products that curlers of all levels will be happy to use.

I hope that provides you with a satisfactory answer to your question.

Thanks for your response.

You say that Goldline, as a company, agrees that the effect of sweeping should be to take the rock further and straighter, and nothing else. Ok.
You also say that Goldline wishes to “innovate and provide new products”. If this statement is in reference to equipment other than brooms, I’ve not much to say about it. But if you are saying that you want to innovate and provide new products with regards to brooms - and perhaps more specifically, brush heads -, I see a possible contradiction here - because we saw where innovation and providing new products took curling last season. I think you’ll agree that the huge majority of curlers and curling administrators don’t want to go down that road again.
And so I’m wondering how any company can innovate and provide new products - with regards to brooms - without messing things up as they were last season. We already have brooms (and brush heads) which will take a rock further and straighter. How much further and how much straighter do we want to go? And I can’t imagine broom shafts being much lighter than they are now. It would seem to me, then, that any innovation in the area of brooms - and brush heads in particular - runs the risk of travelling down the same unfortunate path as last season.

It would be nice if curling could maintain its relative innocence. By this, I mean having manufacturers of curling equipment stop trying to constantly ‘push the envelope’ with what they like to call ‘innovation’, and simply be content with ensuring that the current equipment - which is fine - be made to high standards of quality.
Otherwise, curling risks going down the ridiculous path that tennis has taken, where racquet models are replaced every 2 or 3 years with models the racquet companies spend millions telling us are ‘better’ than the model they’re replacing (“more power and control”), when in fact the new models are not better at all (and do not offer more power or control) - they are not better, they are simply different. They may be ‘better’ in terms of the racquet companies being able to spend less to manufacture them, and thus reap more financial profit... but they are not better for the consumer.
The cell phone market suffers from this same ridiculous ‘planned obsolescence’, which is nothing more than companies trying to convince people that the model (whether it’s a tennis racquet, a cell phone, or what have you) which 2 years ago was wonderful and ‘the best ever’, etc. is now, a mere 2 years later, old and pathetic and in desperate need of replacement.
I don’t want curling to go there, as it’s not a respectable path to travel.

10-28-16 12:48AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I see Goldline is advertising their new Air brushes. I haven't noticed any sponsored teams using the new heads. Are they approved and if so, why aren't teams using them?

The Air Brush is the product not yet approved by the WCF that Peter was talking about above. It uses the Nylon 420D Fabric, but from an independent supplier. It is waiting for approval from the WCF.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

10-28-16 09:46AM
PeterDTown
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

The Air Brush is the product not yet approved by the WCF that Peter was talking about above. It uses the Nylon 420D Fabric, but from an independent supplier. It is waiting for approval from the WCF.

Just to clarify that a bit. The entire Air Brush is not yet approved. We are starting to sell Air Brushes today with Air Elite pads. The Air Elite have Oxford 420D from a different supplier in a variety of colours. At best we're probably looking at next season for those to be "approved," though they will perform just like an Air Pro.

The Air Pro pads also go on the Air Brush, but are made with the approved fabric. These are the ones that we were hoping would already be approved before the start of the season but due to the WCFs changes to the approval process is, at best, going to be approved late November / early December.

10-28-16 09:50AM
PeterDTown
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose

Thanks for your response.

You say that Goldline, as a company, agrees that the effect of sweeping should be to take the rock further and straighter, and nothing else. Ok.
You also say that Goldline wishes to “innovate and provide new products”. If this statement is in reference to equipment other than brooms, I’ve not much to say about it. But if you are saying that you want to innovate and provide new products with regards to brooms - and perhaps more specifically, brush heads -, I see a possible contradiction here - because we saw where innovation and providing new products took curling last season. I think you’ll agree that the huge majority of curlers and curling administrators don’t want to go down that road again.
And so I’m wondering how any company can innovate and provide new products - with regards to brooms - without messing things up as they were last season. We already have brooms (and brush heads) which will take a rock further and straighter. How much further and how much straighter do we want to go? And I can’t imagine broom shafts being much lighter than they are now. It would seem to me, then, that any innovation in the area of brooms - and brush heads in particular - runs the risk of travelling down the same unfortunate path as last season.

It would be nice if curling could maintain its relative innocence. By this, I mean having manufacturers of curling equipment stop trying to constantly ‘push the envelope’ with what they like to call ‘innovation’, and simply be content with ensuring that the current equipment - which is fine - be made to high standards of quality.
Otherwise, curling risks going down the ridiculous path that tennis has taken, where racquet models are replaced every 2 or 3 years with models the racquet companies spend millions telling us are ‘better’ than the model they’re replacing (“more power and control”), when in fact the new models are not better at all (and do not offer more power or control) - they are not better, they are simply different. They may be ‘better’ in terms of the racquet companies being able to spend less to manufacture them, and thus reap more financial profit... but they are not better for the consumer.
The cell phone market suffers from this same ridiculous ‘planned obsolescence’, which is nothing more than companies trying to convince people that the model (whether it’s a tennis racquet, a cell phone, or what have you) which 2 years ago was wonderful and ‘the best ever’, etc. is now, a mere 2 years later, old and pathetic and in desperate need of replacement.
I don’t want curling to go there, as it’s not a respectable path to travel.

I think that you may be slightly biased on this issue because of what you have seen in the tennis world. Let me assure you that the new product we are working on is both an innovation and in keeping with the spirit (and specification) of the WCF new rules. Once they are approved you will also see them being preferred by elite curlers and used in top competitions.

I also want to point out that this is not planned obsolescence or anything of the sort, and we're not changing models on an excessively short timeframe. The existing oval head that we've offered has been around for roughly 20 years. The new Air Head is significantly lighter, the pads are going to be cheaper, and pad replacement will be much faster and easier.

10-28-16 11:22AM
ngm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ngm Click here to Send ngm a Private Message Find more posts by ngm Add ngm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ngm
Swing Artist

My issue with the Goldline statement is mostly in the first paragraph, which is a strained and self-serving misinterpretation of the WCF position.

The rest of the statement I think is fine, although parts are perhaps without any real evidence so far. But you only have one chance at a first impression, as they say.

Goldline claims "[The WCF statement] suggested that WCF certified pads only be used when prizes of value were at stake."

This is a bizarre interpretation of the WCF statement, when a straightforward interpretation of the clear and direct meaning of the words used would be the following:

1. The WCF does not directly regulate non-WCF competitions. (Implied in this statement is that technical restrictions on brushes are regulations that are up to the competition authority and not rules for general play which the WCF does control to some extent.)

2. The WCF doesn't think it's fair to force everyone to throw out everything they have.

3. So, they suggest that competition authorities and curlers themselves consider what's at stake and their own abilities when deciding what brushes to use.

Perhaps the WCF would be delighted for everyone to use only certified materials. Who knows. They didn't make any comment about that. They certainly never suggested that the approved fabric only be used in high stakes games.

It's also not supported with any evidence that the new fabric is useless in the hands on a non-elite curler. How could this possibly be known at this point? Only a small number of non-elite curlers have maybe been using the fabric for literally a few days and I'm pretty sure no study of its effects have been undertaken.